The coronavirus

Comments

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,383
    I just exercised with my kids and raced them up and down the stairs.....coudlnt' catch my breath.  Do I have corona?  (this is what I think.  So paranoid)
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,416
    I want to discuss the economic impact of all of this.

Anyone who doesn't have a huge nest egg stashed away is going to be screwed.  That ever increasing gap between the middle class and the wealthy just got ripped open wider.

The bottom part of the economic scale?  Forget it.  They are stuck there for a long time now.

Everything some of us have worked for is going to be taken away in a month, I know my 401K is suffereing.

it is really going to be devastating to a lot of people. Service industries but also people who work in trades. painters and other maintenance workers. their work is going to stop for like 2 months.  no one is going to want them in their homes until this passes.  gonna be a long few months but hopefully people rally TOGETHER and help their neighbors as much as possible.  be kind.
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,945
    mcgruff10 said:
    I just exercised with my kids and raced them up and down the stairs.....coudlnt' catch my breath.  Do I have corona?  (this is what I think.  So paranoid)

You're just old.  No corona...
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Old and anxious. 
  • KatKat Posts: 4,831
    Remember to do all you can to lower your stress level during this time. It's important to stay calm and stress-free so your immune system can do its job.

"In addition, stress decreases the body’s lymphocytes — the white blood cells that help fight off infection. The lower your lymphocyte level, the more at risk you are for viruses, including the common cold and cold sores....  In the long-term, sustained, high levels of inflammation point to an overworked, over-tired immune system that can’t properly protect you."

https://health.clevelandclinic.org/what-happens-when-your-immune-system-gets-stressed-out/
    Falling down,...not staying down
    mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Old and anxious. 

Same here, bud.
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,932
    Good time to realize that more people's job can be done from home than I'm sure companies like to pretend - on the flip side, maybe a good time for these companies realize they can save shit ton on Rent. 

And for any idiot that ever said re: teachers some version of "you're paid what you're worth" and think the market should dictate teachers' salaries. Yeah, uh huh....also, a good time to remind everyone the same social buy-in of the requirements to "flatten the curve" are the same buy-in for societal institutions: such as education and healthcare. I wonder what other idiots out there who don't buy into concept of flatten the curve also don't buy in to the concept of climate warming.

Great to also see the internet being treated like the utility is it in other countries (more specifically, it's just free)....

I try to hold out hope that this means there will be improvements in how we think as a society, but....haha
    Kat said:
    Remember to do all you can to lower your stress level during this time. It's important to stay calm and stress-free so your immune system can do its job.

"In addition, stress decreases the body’s lymphocytes — the white blood cells that help fight off infection. The lower your lymphocyte level, the more at risk you are for viruses, including the common cold and cold sores....  In the long-term, sustained, high levels of inflammation point to an overworked, over-tired immune system that can’t properly protect you."

https://health.clevelandclinic.org/what-happens-when-your-immune-system-gets-stressed-out/

This is great advice, but hard to do at the same time.
    bbiggs said:
    Kat said:

Agreed.  
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    I've always thought that people overstate the significance and impact of 9/11.  I've always thought that it didn't change our country much at all, let alone fundamentally.  More airport security, occasionally more security for large events, but otherwise, not much change in how we function or think.
    This right here, this has the potential to really shake up the way we do and approach so many aspects of life.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Matts3221Matts3221 Posts: 658
    mickeyrat said:
    You people think I am stupid/silly/crazy for sharing what I shared before.
    Well, listen to this guy speak. It's nice to know I am not alone with my thoughts.
    https://www.facebook.com/mahmoud.elawadi.9/videos/10163288717110720/
    just read an article abour fox news and the main personalities put forth similar  suggestions only adding in NK too. also completely downplaying the seriousness of this thing.  YET as soon as trump outwardly changed his tune , so did they.

so please forgive me for not believing a word of it.
    You can believe what you want.

Begging you man , stop posting conspiracy theory's. You have posted a number of completely invalid claims about this , we are in a time of panic and anxiety and this does not help the conversation. I have seen graphs and other things posted that are false.

Try to take a deep breath , I would ask you to just look at CDC and WHO sties and keep off everything else , in times of panic you may fall for things on the internet.

Be well   

• Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,932
    rgambs said:
    I've always thought that people overstate the significance and impact of 9/11.  I've always thought that it didn't change our country much at all, let alone fundamentally.  More airport security, occasionally more security for large events, but otherwise, not much change in how we function or think.
    This right here, this has the potential to really shake up the way we do and approach so many aspects of life.
    You would hope.....but my hopes and expectations usually don't line up.
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,577
    mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:
    Kat said:

Agreed.  

Also agreed.  I'm a worrier anyway and this has been nearly impossible to not worry about.  But last night, I slept through for almost 8 hours- first time in I don't know how long.  I needed that!   Celebrate the little things that bring comfort and/ or pleasure!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 6,388
    edited March 2020
    I'm missing Pence/Trump news as I watch Trudeau & other Ministers. Not much new here at the Federal level today except discussing the Emergency Act as not required thus far. Call out for Blood Donors.  
    Post edited by Spunkie on
    Just did meditation for ten minutes.  It definitely helped.  I actually found some answers believe it or not.  
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,666

You deserve scorn & contempt if you're pushing conspiracy theories right now.

Grow the fuck up.

I agree.  This isnt a television drama series where we need to figure out fan theories.  
    mcgruff10 said:
    Just did meditation for ten minutes.  It definitely helped.  I actually found some answers believe it or not.  

If this quarantine extends for up to 6 weeks or more what do you think they will do with school?  make you go more into the summer or just end at regular time and chalk it up as a year completed? i can't see it feasible to extend school into the summer much.
    pjhawks said:
    mcgruff10 said:

If this quarantine extends for up to 6 weeks or more what do you think they will do with school?  make you go more into the summer or just end at regular time and chalk it up as a year completed? i can't see it feasible to extend school into the summer much.
    No clue bud, we are in unchartered territory.  Right now we are using schoology and so far so good.  
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 13,469
    JPPJ84 said:
    We live on the  borderline of poverty without all of this. On state benefits  due to long term illness and i just had 2 good friends take food to my ex wife and children. 
    Good karma . And this is only the start.
    How can I help? Anything in particular you need that can be bought on Amazon?
    This is very kind. I am ok atm thank you so much.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,666
    This is the first day it seems I have a semblance of 'routine' at home.  Kids doing school programs (and we put them on a schedule).  I am working from home and was able to log into my work computer from home which is amazing.   So that helps.  This is the first day of the past 7 (last wednesday morning when I learned how dire the situation was) that my anxiety wasnt increased exponentially.

I advise anyone and everyone to turn off the news for a bit, stop refreshing news site.  Look at NFL news, participate in online discussions not related to this situation, do work if you can at home, play catch/outside with your kids, go for a jog/walk, work out, organize your basement, garage, etc.  It helps ratchet down the anxiety.
  • myoung321myoung321 Posts: 2,855
    DONALD TRUMP: I've been briefed on every contingency you could possibly imagine. Many contingencies. A lot of positive. Different numbers, all different numbers. Very large numbers. And some small numbers, too, by the way.

Oh okay, since you put it that way. It's completely understandable  :s
    "The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera." - Yusuf Karsh

• tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 40,004
    rgambs said:
    The young people are going to see the mess that is here for them and the future.  I am hoping that when they see all the political bickering that they can come up with a better way of "crossing the aisle" and bi-partisanship.

Let's hope that it does shake the tree and ripe fruit comes from it and not rotten.
    MayDay10 said:
    This is the first day it seems I have a semblance of 'routine' at home.  Kids doing school programs (and we put them on a schedule).  I am working from home and was able to log into my work computer from home which is amazing.   So that helps.  This is the first day of the past 7 (last wednesday morning when I learned how dire the situation was) that my anxiety wasnt increased exponentially.

I advise anyone and everyone to turn off the news for a bit, stop refreshing news site.  Look at NFL news, participate in online discussions not related to this situation, do work if you can at home, play catch/outside with your kids, go for a jog/walk, work out, organize your basement, garage, etc.  It helps ratchet down the anxiety.

agree, i think getting out in fresh air for small amounts of time each day is very important.
    pjhawks said:
    MayDay10 said:

agree, i think getting out in fresh air for small amounts of time each day is very important.
    100% agree.  just climbed a tree with my six year old, it was awesome.  
  • myoung321myoung321 Posts: 2,855
    Can add his stupid "words" to that from today.  
    "The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera." - Yusuf Karsh

Put in one ear bud and listened to some of my favorite pj songs.  Man my anxiety level went down pretty fast.  
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Posts: 12,844
    mcgruff10 said:
    pjhawks said:
    MayDay10 said:

100% agree.  just climbed a tree with my six year old, it was awesome.  
    I am continuing to ride my bike to work, taking that time to enjoy the sunshine and spring-like weather. It seems the perfect exercise for this time - outside, touching only my bike (and that with gloves on), away from everybody else, getting my heart rate up and my stress down. 

Unfortunately my climbing gym has had to close, which is a really bummer as climbing is my meditation. I totally understand, though - how can you continue an activity where hundreds of people touch the same little holds in the same places that are impossible to sanitize? I have faith it will open again in due time. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • KatKat Posts: 4,831
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 40,004
    Kat said:
    HAHAHAHA!!!  Post that in the Show me something Funny thread please!
This discussion has been closed.