The coronavirus

Comments

• mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,624
    edited March 2020
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,057
    dignin said:
    dignin said:
    dignin said:
    JPPJ84 said:
    I till don't see what closing schools will do when kids are not in danger of dying from it(?)

Send all kids to a Camp Crystal Lake type scenario where they can all get sick and live through it and be immune -- and not affect the rest of the population when they come back.
    Because the kids can carry it....come on man
    Does immune people still carry viruses "latent"? Doesn't the immunesystem kill it..?
    Children aren’t immune. They’re just rarely showing symptoms. So yes, they are highly infectious. That also counts for young people in general 
    I have not said they are immune...

They still carry it and pass it along.
    Yeah, that is one of the points taken into account in my post?

But then your other posts showed ignorance. Kids aren't immune. 
    !! I HAVE NOT SAID THEY ARE IMMUNE !!
    My bad, I went back and re read your initial post.

Your follow up posts made it sound like that's what you thought, I got it wrong. 
    Well then,

Camp Crystal Lake it is.

https://youtu.be/KSNKBYvrsk4

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,314
    mickeyrat said:
    I'm shocked that they tell the public not to wear them! ;)

They provide little value unless worn properly and all other hygiene followed.  But, if they actually didn't provide value at all...ask yourself...why are they worried about having them for medical professionals.

The general public just won't follow all the rules to make them useful for the most part.
    hippiemom = goodness
    edited March 2020
    mickeyrat said:

They provide little value unless worn properly and all other hygiene followed.  But, if they actually didn't provide value at all...ask yourself...why are they worried about having them for medical professionals.

The general public just won't follow all the rules to make them useful for the most part.
    Because they have to be up in the face of people, and do not wear them upside down?

My colleagues dad and his wife, working as doctor and nurse, have been diagnosed with Corona, I just learned.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    mickeyrat said:

Because they have to be up in the face of people, and do not wear them upside down?

My colleagues dad and his wife, working as doctor and nurse, have been diagnosed with Corona, I just learned.
    Awful about your family's friends.  And yes, the public wears them upside down and basically wastes them.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 13,469
    edited March 2020
    2 year old has it in my village. Our  death  toll  is 104. But the mortality rate is way disproportionate  as we only test hospital admitted  people. Shameful.
    Post edited by lastexitlondon on
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,945
    Little spirit-lifting video to get a break from reality...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/5065917002
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,383
    mickeyrat said:

Awful about your family's friends.  And yes, the public wears them upside down and basically wastes them.
    To be fair he was the only person on the train and fixed it after we busted his balls about it.   Can we stop busting on my buddy now?  Just posting a picture to show you what it looks like commuting into the city. Carry on. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    work day from home over. self isolating a bit with my cat and some music

mcgruff10 said:
    mickeyrat said:

To be fair he was the only person on the train and fixed it after we busted his balls about it.   Can we stop busting on my buddy now?  Just posting a picture to show you what it looks like commuting into the city. Carry on. 
    Not busting on your buddy in particular, its just that people really do not know how to use them and are basically wasting him.  They aren't bad people.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • wndowpaynewndowpayne Posts: 1,469
    edited March 2020
    mcgruff10 said:
    My buddy on the rush hour train to nyc this morning    

Not to be an ass but if he is virus free he should have left that mask on the shelf for somebody that could really need it.....Given  it to an elderly person
    Post edited by wndowpayne on
    Charlottesville 2013
    Hampton 2016

• Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 11,012

mcgruff10 said:

Not to be an ass but if he is virus free he should have left that mask on the shelf for somebody that could really need it.....Given  it to an elderly person

You're assuming he ran out & bought it.

How do you know he didn't have it sitting in a tool box? I have a few myself from having done work around the house.

Maybe let's save the shaming for people who deserve it.

• Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,510
    work day from home over. self isolating a bit with my cat and some music

Awww. So cute.  Swedish cat?
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 Posts: 10,739
    Detroit 3 closing all facilities...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,577
    bbiggs said:
    Little spirit-lifting video to get a break from reality...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/5065917002

That's great!  Thanks, b!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

edited March 2020

mcgruff10 said:

How do you know he didn't have it sitting in a tool box? I have a few myself from having done work around the house.

Just to let everyone know, my buddy had the mask in his garage.  Recently he did work on his house.  I hope we all can now move on. 
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,510
    mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

Just to let everyone know, my buddy had the mask in his garage.  Recently he did work on his house.  I hope we all can now move on. 

80% are asymptomatic and most covid tests take 2 to 3 days.  So even if you pass, if you are out on public, your test result could be outdated the moment you get the negative result.

Nothing wrong in that decision to wear a mask even if it was bought at the local supply store on the way to that luxurious train.
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,666
    Spoke to a couple doctor friends today including an emergency room doctor

They think this thing has been making its rounds since the holidays.  There were a ton of people travelling all over and quite a few sick people.  Lots of respiratory stuff.  I know in february, at one point, half my office was out sick.

A lot of the hysteria comes from testing and the media.  Yes, action and distancing is wise at this point.  They just think a lot of us have actually had it already and a lot of the anxiety is unwarranted.
    edited March 2020
    MayDay10 said:

They think this thing has been making its rounds since the holidays.  There were a ton of people travelling all over and quite a few sick people.  Lots of respiratory stuff.  I know in february, at one point, half my office was out sick.

A lot of the hysteria comes from testing and the media.  Yes, action and distancing is wise at this point.  They just think a lot of us have actually had it already and a lot of the anxiety is unwarranted.
    I 100% agree with this.  Literally everyone I know at work had these huge headaches and just not feeling well.  Tons of sinus infections.  We also had two healthy people in their 40s die of flu like symptoms.  
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,945
    mcgruff10 said:
    MayDay10 said:

I 100% agree with this.  Literally everyone I know at work had these huge headaches and just not feeling well.  Tons of sinus infections.  We also had two healthy people in their 40s die of flu like symptoms.  

Well that is alarming and atypical I would say.  Sorry to hear that. 
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    MayDay10 said:

Well that is alarming and atypical I would say.  Sorry to hear that. 
    I am gonna guess it happened about two months ago.
    edited March 2020
    MayDay10 said:

mcgruff10 said:
    MayDay10 said:

Doubt.

EDIT: misread.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    Gunnar Hökmark, chairman of the think-tank Frivärld and former moderate EU parliamentarian, wrote on Tuesday at Expressen Debate that China should apologize to the world for the corona pandemic.

“The serious Chinese attacks against Sweden for our handling of the corona virus should be seen against the fact that the Chinese Communist Party wants to escape all kind of responsibility for the spread of the epidemic. Lousy animal husbandry and substandard food standards, along with fear of the dictatorship's power and a culture of silence, are the main reasons why the world today is wrestling with a pandemic, "he wrote.

He continued:

"It has its background in the inability of a totalitarian system to take into account people's perceptions, their security and life. It is not Sweden or Europe that is the problem. It's China ”.

China condemns Gunnar Hökmark's debate article
    Now China is going into counter-attacks.

According to the country's embassy in Stockholm, Gunnar Hökmark has "attacked and stigmatized" China.

"We strongly condemn his ridiculous words, and clearly express opposition to Expressen's publication of such a statement," the embassy writes on its website.

According to the embassy, ​​China has acted "swiftly, resolutely and effectively" against covid-19 - and it is believed that Hökmark's demand that the country should apologize is "completely baseless and unfair".

The embassy further writes that Hökmark's statement is immoral and "a more frightening virus". They also demand that he apologize, both to China and to the world's corona victims.
  • PapPap Posts: 28,733
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,577
    MayDay10 said:

I'll take any news that might help lower my anxiety level.  That is what is probably more unhealthy for me and others like me who are anxiety prone- no doubt a lot of us.  It's a lot healthier to keep as level as possible and look for ways to be healthy and helpful.  I thought getting old and semi-retired would be more fun than this.  These golden years are feeling a bit tarnished lately.

Sorry for the selfish post.  I know we are all struggling. 

Peace all.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• dignindignin Posts: 9,331
    MayDay10 said:

Very doubtful given what the experts have been saying and sounds like these guys have zero evidence to back up their thinking.

And so far what the experts have said has turned out to be right.

Sounds like your doctor friends are very uninformed so I'm going to believe the experts on this.
  • jerparker20jerparker20 Posts: 2,460
    MayDay10 said:

To clarify, i’m not in anyway someone with any medical knowledge, but this wouldn’t surprise me if true.  Probably around the new year, my office got hammered with something.  Myself, and almost everyone else, were sick with coughs, fever, and generally feeling shitty. I even took a couple of sick days and dealt with lingering congestion/cough for a couple weeks. Who knows.

in MN, COVID testing is being severely limited and people who are coming down with illness are being told that they probably have the virus and to just self quarantine. Not the best way to track and prevent, but what do I know.
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    Mikemzl91 said:
    “And the people stayed home. And read books, and listened, and rested, and exercised, and made art, and played games, and learned new ways of being, and were still. And listened more deeply. Some meditated, some prayed, some danced. Some met their shadows. And the people began to dreamed new images, and created new ways to live and heal the earth fully, as they had been healed.
    ~Kitty O'Meara'~ 
    Somehow this was missed.  I like :)
    Gunnar Hökmark, chairman of the think-tank Frivärld and former moderate EU parliamentarian, wrote on Tuesday at Expressen Debate that China should apologize to the world for the corona pandemic.

“The serious Chinese attacks against Sweden for our handling of the corona virus should be seen against the fact that the Chinese Communist Party wants to escape all kind of responsibility for the spread of the epidemic. Lousy animal husbandry and substandard food standards, along with fear of the dictatorship's power and a culture of silence, are the main reasons why the world today is wrestling with a pandemic, "he wrote.

He continued:

"It has its background in the inability of a totalitarian system to take into account people's perceptions, their security and life. It is not Sweden or Europe that is the problem. It's China ”.

China condemns Gunnar Hökmark's debate article
    Now China is going into counter-attacks.

According to the country's embassy in Stockholm, Gunnar Hökmark has "attacked and stigmatized" China.

"We strongly condemn his ridiculous words, and clearly express opposition to Expressen's publication of such a statement," the embassy writes on its website.

According to the embassy, ​​China has acted "swiftly, resolutely and effectively" against covid-19 - and it is believed that Hökmark's demand that the country should apologize is "completely baseless and unfair".

The embassy further writes that Hökmark's statement is immoral and "a more frightening virus". They also demand that he apologize, both to China and to the world's corona victims.
    F China.  
    hippiemom = goodness
  • RunIntoTheRainRunIntoTheRain Posts: 1,019
    mcgruff10 said:
    MayDay10 said:

Sinus infections are upper respiratory. Covid-19 is a lower respiratory infection i.e. lungs  https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20200310/know-the-symptoms-of-covid19
This discussion has been closed.