The coronavirus

Comments

• dignindignin Posts: 9,331
    mcgruff10 said:
    My buddy on the rush hour train to nyc this morning    
    Does your buddy have that mask on upside down?
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,132
    dignin said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    It looks like it 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,059
    mcgruff10 said:
    Is your buddy sick? Otherwise that mask should be in the hands of a hospital.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    I till don't see what closing schools will do when kids are not in danger of dying from it(?)

Send all kids to a Camp Crystal Lake type scenario where they can all get sick and live through it and be immune -- and not affect the rest of the population when they come back.
    Because the kids can carry it....come on man
    Does immune people still carry viruses "latent"? Doesn't the immunesystem kill it..?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    edited March 2020
    benjs said:
    I till don't see what closing schools will do when kids are not in danger of dying from it(?)

Send all kids to a Camp Crystal Lake type scenario where they can all get sick and live through it and be immune -- and not affect the rest of the population when they come back.
    You're better than this. Cordoning off children to introduce them all to a disease "not typically" fatal to young people is wrong on so many levels, and verges on human experimentation.
    You are sounding like what we are doing right now isn't a big human experimentation. 
  • JPPJ84JPPJ84 Posts: 3,461
    edited March 2020

Does immune people still carry viruses "latent"? Doesn't the immunesystem kill it..?
    Children aren’t immune. They’re just rarely showing symptoms. So yes, they are highly infectious. That also counts for young people in general 
    Post edited by JPPJ84 on
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,383
    dignin said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Yeah lol.  He said the other way felt weird.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,415
    static111 said:
    Some projections that self isolation and quarantine need to be in place for up to 18 months.  What are the thoughts of some of you more informed than I?  How do you essentially freeze the economy for over a year and keep people as home bound as possible without huge societal problems?

as i stated earlier this is kind of my fear. what and when is the end game for this?  you cannot have people out of work for extended periods of time. you will be talking depression era issues if you do.  the end game of this is what is scaring me at the moment. we simply can't have this last for an extended period of time.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,625
    edited March 2020
    dignin said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    It looks like it 
    dust mask from the paint section of the hardware store. looks like Home Depot brand...

and yes. down on the upside

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    JPPJ84 said:

Children aren’t immune. They’re just rarely showing symptoms. So yes, they are highly infectious. That also counts for young people in general 
    local news just reported a 2 year old found to be positive here.... 2 cases at OSU. A CFD firefighter as well.

more to come.....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    edited March 2020
    maybe we need this?

miracle spring water....
    Post edited by mickeyrat on

• cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,314
    mcgruff10 said:
    dignin said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    What a waste of a respirator.  He has a beard too...so likely shitty seal.  Lots of exposure by the nose.  This is why regular people shouldn't be buying and wasting these.  

Hope he stays safe, he's going to need luck.
    hippiemom = goodness
    mickeyrat said:
    dignin said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    It looks like it 
    dust mask from the paint section of the hardware store. looks like Home Depot brand...

It's stamped NIOSH N95, so its a respirator and not just a dust mask.
    hippiemom = goodness
    edited March 2020
    JPPJ84 said:

I have not said they are immune...

10 dead in Sweden.
    edited March 2020
    There is no need for not infected people to use masks!

People: Lets hog up all masks and use them.
    JPPJ84 said:

They still carry it and pass it along.
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    pjhawks said:
    static111 said:
    Some projections that self isolation and quarantine need to be in place for up to 18 months.  What are the thoughts of some of you more informed than I?  How do you essentially freeze the economy for over a year and keep people as home bound as possible without huge societal problems?

as i stated earlier this is kind of my fear. what and when is the end game for this?  you cannot have people out of work for extended periods of time. you will be talking depression era issues if you do.  the end game of this is what is scaring me at the moment. we simply can't have this last for an extended period of time.
    This is what I am more scared of really.  And I have no faith the government will do anything to assuage my worries.  It’s very morbid, and a huge philosophical dilemma.  At what point does the safety of global society as a whole and the social contract take precedence over the elderly and at risk.  Hopefully we don’t get to mad max territory, but with the bulk buying and gun store sell outs I have little faith this situation doesn’t devolve quickly.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
    mickeyrat said:
    JPPJ84 said:

local news just reported a 2 year old found to be positive here.... 2 cases at OSU. A CFD firefighter as well.

more to come.....
    What local news?
    hippiemom = goodness
    mcgruff10 said:
    dignin said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Haha, tell him to turn it around and bend the little metal piece to form around the bridge of his nose to make a relative seal.

Otherwise it's pretty useless.
    mickeyrat said:
    dignin said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    It looks like it 

It's stamped NIOSH N95, so its a respirator and not just a dust mask.
    yeah I get it....

edited March 2020
    dignin said:
    JPPJ84 said:

Yeah, that is one of the points taken into account in my post?

There is no need for not infected people to use masks!

People: Lets hog up all masks and use them.
    Infected people can just wear surgical masks as well...they don't need N95s. 

If people actually wore n95's properly and also did all the right things from hygiene perspective, the masks would help them.  Just like they help the medical professionals.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Mikemzl91Mikemzl91 Posts: 489
    “And the people stayed home. And read books, and listened, and rested, and exercised, and made art, and played games, and learned new ways of being, and were still. And listened more deeply. Some meditated, some prayed, some danced. Some met their shadows. And the people began to dreamed new images, and created new ways to live and heal the earth fully, as they had been healed.
    ~Kitty O'Meara'~ 
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,383
    dignin said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    dignin said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Haha, tell him to turn it around and bend the little metal piece to form around the bridge of his nose to make a relative seal.

Otherwise it's pretty useless.
    Will do!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    dignin said:
    JPPJ84 said:

But then your other posts showed ignorance. Kids aren't immune. 
    dignin said:
    dignin said:
    JPPJ84 said:

!! I HAVE NOT SAID THEY ARE IMMUNE !!
  • JPPJ84JPPJ84 Posts: 3,461
    dignin said:
    JPPJ84 said:

I think you just misphrased it then. Misunderstanding :)
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,577
    pjhawks said:
    static111 said:

That's a great question.  I keep asking the same thing and what I'm having to confront is the notion that we really don't have the answers yet.  I like reading and listening to what contagious disease expert Michael Osterholm says.  The short video below, though certainly not all good news, does at least begin to address some of the issues and realities of what we are all facing.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

edited March 2020
    dignin said:
    dignin said:
    JPPJ84 said:

!! I HAVE NOT SAID THEY ARE IMMUNE !!
    My bad, I went back and re read your initial post.

Your follow up posts made it sound like that's what you thought, I got it wrong. 
    Post edited by dignin on
This discussion has been closed.