The coronavirus

Comments

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,383
    Greetings from New Jersey!  Loving our walk in the woods. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Matts3221Matts3221 Posts: 658
    mcgruff10 said:

Yeah!!!!

This photo just brought joy to my day.

Thank You .

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,059
    edited March 2020
    Looks like the restaurant my mom works at is gonna fold, because no one is visiting the mall it is located. in So she was devastated. Been a here since 1990. 61 years old. Knows nothing else. Don't know what to do if it closes. 

Fuck corona. 

(Thank god she lives in Sweden though with some kind of social safety nets. But still...)
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • dankinddankind Posts: 20,832
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 13,469
    mcgruff10 said:
    Way to go mcgruff. Love to you from london
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 6,387
    edited July 2020
    Cheers Guys!

Sorry to hear, SC! Hope you get a chance for some extra self care today!
    Post edited by Spunkie on
    Great views ^^
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,577
    Kat said:

Haha!!  I love it.  Caaaaars, yummy!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

edited March 2020
    us in the garden. Sorry its so close up. It was a pic taken to send to nanna. Haha.
    Now its shared with the world. But just to say fresh air felt good
    Post edited by lastexitlondon on
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,134
    mcgruff10 said:
    Cool hello there damn he looks like you , great picture enjoy it ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,577
    us in the garden. Sorry its so close up. It was a pic taken to send to nanna. Haha.

mcgruff10 said:
    Cool hello there damn he looks like you , great picture enjoy it ..

Great photos guys!  :smile:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,134
    Hell yeah great picture , stay safe.
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    edited March 2020
    School is out indefinitely for K-12 here now in beautiful BC! (School's out for summer! School's out 4 Eva!) 

Awesome!!! Fresh air is the best.  Stay safe. 

tish said:
    Cheers Guys!

Sorry to hear, SC! Hope you get a chance for some extra self care today!
    Wow where is ?! Awesome views!!!
    edited March 2020
    No one allowed to travel to Sweden. Seems to be a general EU directive for 30 days.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    edited March 2020
    So, a question... 

Now we are pretty much locking down society entirely as a whole and people are kept isolated, and stores and restaurants will not survive and it will be a huge blow to the economy, peoples jobs etc.

At the same time the mortality amongst people under 50 or whatever is not big. And with all these measures - if just someones visits Sweden later and has it it will spread again, just like now...

So why doesn't we keep sick and old people on a super lockdown - and the rest just live as normal and get infected and live through it (but with some washing hands-precuastions etc) for the 2 weeks or whatever you are sick? With the mortality rate being as low as it is. And then we will reach immunity in society and people (not old and sick) can keep going out, and shopping etc.

Having curfews and saying people should stay at home seems to be a weird way to stop it when it will explode again with just one person having it walking into a crowd.

I mean, is this gonna keep going until a vaccine is out? Or what is the end goal here...

Maybe I'm missing something here. I'm tired and it's late.

Gonna grab myself a beer, as Reel Big Fish sings.
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165
    Matts3221 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    You people think I am stupid/silly/crazy for sharing what I shared before.
    Well, listen to this guy speak. It's nice to know I am not alone with my thoughts.
    https://www.facebook.com/mahmoud.elawadi.9/videos/10163288717110720/
    just read an article abour fox news and the main personalities put forth similar  suggestions only adding in NK too. also completely downplaying the seriousness of this thing.  YET as soon as trump outwardly changed his tune , so did they.

so please forgive me for not believing a word of it.
    You can believe what you want.

Begging you man , stop posting conspiracy theory's. You have posted a number of completely invalid claims about this , we are in a time of panic and anxiety and this does not help the conversation. I have seen graphs and other things posted that are false.

Try to take a deep breath , I would ask you to just look at CDC and WHO sties and keep off everything else , in times of panic you may fall for things on the internet.

Be well   

Sorry. It won't happen again
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,834
    So, a question... 

Now we are pretty much locking down society entirely as a whole and people are kept isolated, and stores and restaurants will not survive and it will be a huge blow to the economy, peoples jobs etc.

At the same time the mortality amongst people under 50 or whatever is not big. And with all these measures - if just someones visits Sweden later and has it it will spread again, just like now...

So why doesn't we keep sick and old people on a super lockdown - and the rest just live as normal and get infected and live through it (but with some washing hands-precuastions etc) for the 2 weeks or whatever you are sick? With the mortality rate being as low as it is. And then we will reach immunity in society and people (not old and sick) can keep going out, and shopping etc.

Having curfews and saying people should stay at home seems to be a weird way to stop it when it will explode again with just one person having it walking into a crowd.

I mean, is this gonna keep going until a vaccine is out? Or what is the end goal here...

But what constitutes a "sick and old" person? A certain age? A certain diagnosis? 

I think your premise is sound enough: get sick, get it over with, and move on with your life...rather than walking on eggshells in fear of catching it. But I think there'd be a lot of people who think they're healthy enough to deal with it, but really aren't due to immune systems, lungs, etc. But they might not know that until they catch it. 

2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    edited March 2020
    @mcG...

3-4 hours outside of Vancouver, BC (or 2.5 if you drive like the wind!)

We call it Canada's California. Water - Alpine Skis, rinse repeat... 3 more weeks till Spring Suit Water Ski Season! Mountain closed today for skiers.

Post edited by Spunkie on
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,513
    bbiggs said:
    The data is clear that elderly people are not able to fight off this virus well; however, I wonder if there are cases where someone in their 80's HAS fully recovered.  You would think those cases do exist based on the amount of people that have contracted the virus.  Anyone see any news in regards to this?

According to China's data, the fatality rate was around 20% for those over 80 and 1% and lower for those under 50. 

I'd expect to US over 80 rates to be lower.
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    So, a question... 

I’m with you.  I’m a contract worker and the next two months were supposed to basically make my family money for the next 6 months.  Everything has been cancelled.  If I can’t make income and my government is clearly doing nothing to help, how are bills supposed to get paid? 
    Luckily we have a small emergency fund that can probably get us through two months. I can only imagine how hard it is gonna be for people that are less fortunate as my family. Anything short of forgiving debt and rent/mortgage commitments until this passes as well as some sort of stimulus seems like it will destroy the economy and put millions out of work.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
    @SC... They mortality rates re: age/gender/co-morbidities have not been updated in over a month. That's saying something.
    tish said:
    @mcG...

3-4 hours outside of Vancouver, BC (or 2.5 if you drive like the wind!)

We call it Canada's California. Water - Alpine Skis, rinse repeat... 3 more weeks till Spring Suit Water Ski Season! Mountain closed today for skiers.

So jealous! Our highest “mountain” is 1803 feet! Lol
    edited March 2020
    So, a question... 

But what constitutes a "sick and old" person? A certain age? A certain diagnosis? 

I think your premise is sound enough: get sick, get it over with, and move on with your life...rather than walking on eggshells in fear of catching it. But I think there'd be a lot of people who think they're healthy enough to deal with it, but really aren't due to immune systems, lungs, etc. But they might not know that until they catch it. 

Give people the opportunity to a health check if they are worried or suspect they are not up to par?

Other people might be unlucky, like you can with any disease if you happen to have something wrong with your lungs, immune system etc.

This feels to me like using all these medicines to treat HIV (without having the funds to actually do so), but just like with HIV it will blossom again if you stop it. 

I guess that you want to stop the pandemic and then be able to deal with smaller "explosions". But I mean, one person coughing at a hockey game and the chain reaction has started again.

And keeping children away from schools? The best thing for most of them -- and us -- would be to catch it. With them not dying from it, pretty much at all.

THIS FEELS LIKE A SEQUEL TO "IT FOLLOWS" OR "THE RING" -- IT CAN'T BE STOPPED! WE ARE JUST PUSHING THE PROBLEM FURTHER INTO THE FUTURE. And paying a hefty price to do so.

• Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 11,012
    Call me crazy, but I feel like locking up the most vulnerable of our population isn't the answer here.
    Pretty sure I might read this to my kids tonight:

edited March 2020

The suppliers raise the price of medical supplies

Gloves, mouth guards and visors are some of the health care's most important products in the fight against the corona virus. But 20 of the health care's 100 most important articles are currently difficult to obtain. In addition, the suppliers raise prices on these well.

Closed borders and quarantine at factories make it difficult to obtain medical supplies that care needs in the fight against the corona virus.

Therefore, the Supply Chain Committee, made a list of the 100 most important products for health care, something that P4 Örebro first told us. The purpose is to point out which articles must absolutely not end.

But 20 of these articles are currently difficult to obtain.

- Overall, it looks good, but then there are products that are in a critical position, says Bechet Barsom (KD), chair of the Supply Chain Committee.

Raises prices
    In addition, suppliers are starting to increase the price of the most important products.

"These are huge increases," says Bechet Barsom.

Prices are higher than stated in the agreement between the Supply Chain Committee and the suppliers. When the Supply Chain Committee meets on Thursday, they must decide on how to handle the high prices.

Fuck predatory capitalism.

Sanders: Fuck that bullshit. 

Biden: Hey look man, a man's got to be able to make a buck. 

Trump: I wish I was in the beautiful health care supply business instead of being President. Believe me.
    Dr. Ignace Demeyer, who works at a hospital in Aalst, said an increasing number of people between the ages of 30 and 50 have presented with severe symptoms, despite having “blank medical records” that show no underlying conditions that would make them high-risk, the Brussels Times reported.“

They just walk in, but they are terribly affected by the virus,” Demeyer told the Belgian broadcaster VRT.

He said CT scans indicated they were suffering from severe lung damage.

“The images we took yesterday are nothing short of terrifying,” the doctor told the station.

“They are people who do not smoke, who have no other conditions such as diabetes or heart failure,” Demeyer added.

Okey. Fuck this. I'm staying isolated in my apartment till fucking summers almost gone.
This discussion has been closed.