Options

The coronavirus

Comments

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,844
    Try to remember that vaccines are not treatments. This isn’t like mixing two different medications, where there might be interactions. These compounds stimulate your innate immune system. There really is no particular reason to think that using two different vaccines would be unsafe. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    They are asking people to pray for him to recover. I am fairly certain that if he does recover they will give the credit and thanks to god, instead of the nurses and doctors and RTs and PTs and OTs and lab techs and radiology techs and porters and housekeeping staff and all of the other hospital workers who actually deserve the credit. 
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 12,194
    edited June 2021
    If praying worked  nobody would  die of anything 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,135
    tish said:
    ^ I'm betting you will with the # of Pfizer coming in these days 

Hugh, not sure if you keep up with the fed government mathematical modelling, but it says you guys need to lower contacts further.

at this point that's kind of impossible. we're very few steps away from total stay at home order. all in person dining closed. all shopping at 10% capacity or 100 people, whichever is lower. one person per household in a store. no meeting with people outside the home under any circumstance (inside, outside, cup/rope phone). K-12 remote learning. 

our cases and positivity rate are coming down, but our ICU's are still at capacity because they are now filling with young people who survive longer and more often in the ICU. 

my holidays start in 29 days. 3 weeks. this shit better settle by then. 
    Obviously wishing this gets better for everyone.  But specifically hopeful for your holiday.  We all need some nice time to relax after the last 15 months or so.  Just hit a cabin with the family for a long weekend of hiking.  It was amazing...but too short.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,898
    tish said:
    ^ I'm betting you will with the # of Pfizer coming in these days 

Hugh, not sure if you keep up with the fed government mathematical modelling, but it says you guys need to lower contacts further.

at this point that's kind of impossible. we're very few steps away from total stay at home order. all in person dining closed. all shopping at 10% capacity or 100 people, whichever is lower. one person per household in a store. no meeting with people outside the home under any circumstance (inside, outside, cup/rope phone). K-12 remote learning. 

our cases and positivity rate are coming down, but our ICU's are still at capacity because they are now filling with young people who survive longer and more often in the ICU. 

my holidays start in 29 days. 3 weeks. this shit better settle by then. 
    Obviously wishing this gets better for everyone.  But specifically hopeful for your holiday.  We all need some nice time to relax after the last 15 months or so.  Just hit a cabin with the family for a long weekend of hiking.  It was amazing...but too short.
    thanks dude. out of my 4 weeks holidays, we have 2, possibly 3 weeks at cottages with friends. the other week, if I have to just sit in the back yard and drink beer while the kids run through the sprinkler, then, so be it. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Canada is going to mix vaccines…lol.

Absolutely, along with these other ten countries so far who are also mixing vaccines, some to give an mRNA second dose to those who had an AZ first dose and some to mix in other ways. Little rinky-dink, scientifically unaware countries like the UK, France, and a handful of Nordic countries. The method has the backing of basic immunological science. Weird, huh? 

I haven't yet seen the backing of immunological science except for that one Spain study that is still considered "preliminary findings" with a very small initial experiment group. 

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/national-vaccine-panel-allows-for-mixing-and-matching-covid-19-vaccines-1.5451067

It makes me uncomfortable to read "no reason to believe at this time that this method to be unsafe". at least both my kids will get Pfizer. 
    Basic immunological science I said, not specific studies on these vaccines. We often mix and match vaccines, particularly boosters. Did you ever care which flu vaccine you got?  Each year there is more than one product. 

If someone is vaccinated with two different vaccines for the same infectious agent, the response is often better, because your immune system is getting exposed to two slightly different antigens for the same pathogen, which makes it more ready to respond when presented with actual viral particles. 
    thanks. I guess I find it curious then, that in the beginning, most health recommendations were to not mix and match unless absolutely necessary. many are still holding that position. I guess because they need to wait on actual study before they can just move ahead with it?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Canada is going to mix vaccines…lol.

Absolutely, along with these other ten countries so far who are also mixing vaccines, some to give an mRNA second dose to those who had an AZ first dose and some to mix in other ways. Little rinky-dink, scientifically unaware countries like the UK, France, and a handful of Nordic countries. The method has the backing of basic immunological science. Weird, huh? 

I haven't yet seen the backing of immunological science except for that one Spain study that is still considered "preliminary findings" with a very small initial experiment group. 

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/national-vaccine-panel-allows-for-mixing-and-matching-covid-19-vaccines-1.5451067

It makes me uncomfortable to read "no reason to believe at this time that this method to be unsafe". at least both my kids will get Pfizer. 
    Basic immunological science I said, not specific studies on these vaccines. We often mix and match vaccines, particularly boosters. Did you ever care which flu vaccine you got?  Each year there is more than one product. 

If someone is vaccinated with two different vaccines for the same infectious agent, the response is often better, because your immune system is getting exposed to two slightly different antigens for the same pathogen, which makes it more ready to respond when presented with actual viral particles. 
    thanks. I guess I find it curious then, that in the beginning, most health recommendations were to not mix and match unless absolutely necessary. many are still holding that position. I guess because they need to wait on actual study before they can just move ahead with it?

Sure, the regulatory and advisory bodies should defer to what they have the data to support, and go with best available evidence where they don't have specific data. 
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/astrazeneca-oxford-developer-blasts-canada-s-approach-to-vaccine-says-messing-around-is-going-to-cost-lives-1.5428725

AstraZeneca-Oxford developer blasts Canada's approach to vaccine, says 'messing around is going to cost lives'

And on the mixing of vaccines, Bell, who has intimate knowledge of the study currently taking place at the University of Oxford, said initial findings show severe side effect outcomes.

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    edited June 2021

• Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827

Point taken. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    haha i was waiting for the edit. the edit never came.....
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    haha i was waiting for the edit. the edit never came.....
    It will :lol: 

Decided I had more to say than I had time. I’ll get to it when I can. 
  • Options
    In the meantime...

For those interested in information on treatments, a recent randomized but open label study suggested that inhaled budesonide, a steroid commonly used for those with asthma, is very helpful in preventing worsening or covid in those presenting early with mild to moderate symptoms. 

Luckily for me (or not), I have budesonide at home for my asthma. If I get COVID at this point I’ll start it. 
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,576
    If this doesn't get to take the shot I don't know what will....

• Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,832
    USA! USA! USA!
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,277

This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    If this doesn't get to take the shot I don't know what will....

AKA the "get your shot/take your shot" campaign
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Free beers are on the list too.

Not like I needed incentive anyway.

Really, i find it pretty sad to have to essentially bribe some to get it. Even the “gifts” for the fully-vaxxed. God forbid people do it out of common sense. 
  • Options
    JB16057JB16057 Posts: 1,269
    I'm curious, who here has their meningococcal vaccination?
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,717
    JB16057 said:
    Me. All my kids. 
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,014
    from a local paper for Columbus...About Dewines Vax-a-million lottery

While critics remain, the Associated Press analysis concluded the state vaccination rate is up 33% since the announcement. President Joe Biden has endorsed Ohio’s program, and other states have begun similar lotteries.

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    JB16057 said:
    I’m vaccinated against almost everything vaccinable. Including yellow fever, typhoid, cholera, and a few other weird ones. 
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,717
    mickeyrat said:

While critics remain, the Associated Press analysis concluded the state vaccination rate is up 33% since the announcement. President Joe Biden has endorsed Ohio’s program, and other states have begun similar lotteries.

Dewine is a normal republican.  I probably disagree mostly on policy issues but he isn't a lunatic. 
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,014
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:

Dewine is a normal republican.  I probably disagree mostly on policy issues but he isn't a lunatic. 

I wouldnt go that far....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    https://globalnews.ca/news/7915805/vitamin-d-covid-study-illness-risk/

High levels of vitamin D may not protect against COVID-19, new study says

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 12,194
    Ive read peer reviewed study after study on the many benefits of vit d3 . Including  prostate cancer. Im taking it no matter what..it is a hormone really with 100s of jobs. One is to help with respiratory functions.  Worth taking
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,598
    Still to digest the lies??
    Poor bats, they took your fame..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,206
    Giving away "vaccine incentive" gifts by tax payers dollars...

.... sounds like COMMUNISM to me.

Where is the free market and the individual's right not to care about the people around them now?!
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,425

Where is the free market and the individual's right not to care about the people around them now?!
    No, it’s the price we have to pay to try and keep everyone safe because we’re surrounded by idiots who believe people like trump. 
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,598

Ssss..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
This discussion has been closed.