Options

The coronavirus

Comments

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,835
    edited December 2020
    Louisiana congressman Luke Letlow dead from COVID-19
    https://news.yahoo.com/louisiana-congressman-luke-letlow-dead-030127113.html
    k, been reading about this on regular media and social media. hear me out: I keep seeing people posting about how this guy never wore a mask....but we are consistently told that wearing a mask doesn't help the wearer, it protects those around the wearer, so why, when someone on the right dies or gets sick from covid, do people keep harping on the no mask thing as the reason these people got covid?
    I started a thread on this, as I found the circumstances worth discussing... 41YO w/ no underlying health conditions... it's scary. 

Regarding the mask thing, a lot of the criticism is partisan bullshit, sure; but it's not entirely unfair either considering how much the GOP has politicized mask wearing.

Not wearing a mask is a sign of ignorance or simply not giving a f about anyone else, and one could argue that politicians who behave this way are postponing the country's recovery from the pandemic / making it more difficult... I'm surprised you don't understand the anger, TBH. 
    but that's not what I'm talking about. Sure, it annoys the fuck out of me when people don't wear masks. and yes the right has politicized the hell out of it, which disgusts me. 

but if the mask has little to no bearing on whether someone contracts the disease (as opposed to spreading it), people are conflating him not wearing a mask with contracting the disease, which contradicts the science, which I thought we on the left were supposed to be all about?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,510
    edited December 2020
    k, been reading about this on regular media and social media. hear me out: I keep seeing people posting about how this guy never wore a mask....but we are consistently told that wearing a mask doesn't help the wearer, it protects those around the wearer, so why, when someone on the right dies or gets sick from covid, do people keep harping on the no mask thing as the reason these people got covid?
    I started a thread on this, as I found the circumstances worth discussing... 41YO w/ no underlying health conditions... it's scary. 

Regarding the mask thing, a lot of the criticism is partisan bullshit, sure; but it's not entirely unfair either considering how much the GOP has politicized mask wearing.

Not wearing a mask is a sign of ignorance or simply not giving a f about anyone else, and one could argue that politicians who behave this way are postponing the country's recovery from the pandemic / making it more difficult... I'm surprised you don't understand the anger, TBH. 
    but that's not what I'm talking about. Sure, it annoys the fuck out of me when people don't wear masks. and yes the right has politicized the hell out of it, which disgusts me. 

but if the mask has little to no bearing on whether someone contracts the disease (as opposed to spreading it), people are conflating him not wearing a mask which contradicts the science, which I thought we on the left were supposed to be all about?
    Aren't there studies that show masks are very effective when both parties are wearing them? 

IDK, according to a report I just read, the guy held *some* maskless rallies / campaign events... I think the criticism of him for not wearing a mask is warranted. Set the example for everyone. 
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,643

but if the mask has little to no bearing on whether someone contracts the disease (as opposed to spreading it), people are conflating him not wearing a mask with contracting the disease, which contradicts the science, which I thought we on the left were supposed to be all about?

That is not what the CDC now says.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,829

I'd guess it's an indicator that he also attends events with others not wearing masks as well. Since he's going to political events, etc. maskless, I'd have to guess masklessness is part of the culture and that the masklessness of others could be what got him. (And then he, of course, spread it after he contracted it.).  I suppose that, as it's written, it can be inferred that we're blaming his not wearing a mask directly even though it's probably a bit more indirect and more of an indicator of his general attitude and behavior.

Additionally I would not say that it "contradicts the science." The mask, while primarily protecting others, also can help with the wearer...particularly when both parties are wearing them. Not wearing a mask increased his own risk, though I'd suspect that being around other maskless people at indoor crowded events was the lion's share of his increased risk.

I'd also add that there's probably hesitancy to come down on a guy that just died but he almost certainly spread the disease after contraction and to many more people than he would have had he been wearing a mask. That's a part of the story, even if people are hesitant to talk about it.  To me it's a very simple concept; if everyone acts like they could have it, we all reduce the risk for each other. But that seems to be a bit to nuanced for people who "don't feel sick."
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options

That is not what the CDC now says.
    well that's good to know. I don't know why I hadn't heard that yet. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

but if the mask has little to no bearing on whether someone contracts the disease (as opposed to spreading it), people are conflating him not wearing a mask which contradicts the science, which I thought we on the left were supposed to be all about?
    Aren't there studies that show masks are very effective when both parties are wearing them? 

IDK, according to a report I just read, the guy held *some* maskless rallies / campaign events... I think the criticism of him for not wearing a mask is warranted. Set the example for everyone. 

I can't vouch for this graphic, but I've seen several like it. 

1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options

i know what the criticism should be, which is what you wrote, but that's not the criticism i've seen. 

however, I gotta get the fuck off twitter. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

i know what the criticism should be, which is what you wrote, but that's not the criticism i've seen. 

however, I gotta get the fuck off twitter. 
    Gotcha... & yeah, Twitter's a cesspool - I've done well in recent months moderating my TL & ignoring bs, but it's hard. 
  • Options
    I'll post this here and in the GOP thread. I gotta say, I agree with pretty much everything Republican Senator Pat Toomey says here:

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2020/12/29/trump-death-wish-tweet-republicans-stimulus-lead-vpx.cnn
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,240

One possibility: He didn't wear one and the people at his rallies/fundraisers etc. didn't wear them, following his lead. So possible that one of those folks who chose not to wear one following his lead gave it to him.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    Poncier said:

One possibility: He didn't wear one and the people at his rallies/fundraisers etc. didn't wear them, following his lead. So possible that one of those folks who chose not to wear one following his lead gave it to him.
    for sure, now that I know he was holding maskless rallies, it sounds like he wasn't taking this seriously at all. curiously, I saw a pic of him with his wife and kids and he was the only one without a mask. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    I'll post this here and in the GOP thread. I gotta say, I agree with pretty much everything Republican Senator Pat Toomey says here:

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2020/12/29/trump-death-wish-tweet-republicans-stimulus-lead-vpx.cnn
    I also agree with him, and I thought the same thing in the spring... there's no reason my wife & I should have got the first stimulus check as we are fortunate enough to have not missed any paychecks this year. The whole thing's a f'ing mess. 

With that being said, it is pretty comical to see Trump pull this BS on the GOP - as I understand it, it was his boy Mnuchin (on behalf of the white house) who negotiated the $600, so Trump's completely doing this just to undermine & f w/ the GOP. 

"'I never thought the leopards would eat MY face' said the person who voted for the face eating leopard party." 
  • Options
    Trump's probably going to get a majority in the Senate, which will serve to weaken the nation's faith in the process even more. 

Mitch didn't want this to happen because he knows Biden's going to be inaugurated and he didn't want to be put in the position for himself and other members of the party to have to make this decision. Because all Republicans know that if they don't stand by Trump, it could cost them their next election (Which is why I think he'll get his majority in the senate).
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    why do you keep referring to it as "trump getting a majority". he won't be president 15 days after the senate runoff. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    why do you keep referring to it as "trump getting a majority". he won't be president 15 days after the senate runoff. 

I'm not saying Trump's going to get term #2 (though I will not be 100% until he's inaugurated). I'm saying the Senate will have a majority vote against certifying for Biden (Not technically voting for Trump, I suppose). My point is that the Senate is going to go "party first" on the vote and the small number needed to swing it to Biden being certified won't happen.  Maybe I'm wrong but the fact that it's even in the realm of possibility is problematic.
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,311
    Getting vaccine this Saturday! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,801
    Nice man!! 
  • Options
    That's great.  You've been in the hospital this entire time (I think) and I'm glad you're getting taken care of.
  • Options
    Yes  great to hear. 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    Great news on the  Oxford vaccine.  It can cause antibodies  enough for protection after one dose. And next dose only needs to be 12 weeks after so what that means is so many more can get immunity  faster. Now p.m says its about supply after last week saying we had 50 million doses waiting. That was bullshit.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,903
    Great to hear Jose!!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    OXFORD-ASTRA ZENICA (half swedish that company) vaccine approved in the UK.

This would be great, because of how cheap it is. For the developing world etc. I think they have decided to sell it without profit for those countries (?).
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options

This would be great, because of how cheap it is. For the developing world etc. I think they have decided to sell it without profit for those countries (?).
    Non profit for the whole world. Take note usa that's  how its done. £3 a dose.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,240
    Damn.
    RIP.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,555
    CM189191 said:
    Now I'm pissed
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,643
    2020 just took it too far.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    CM189191 said:
    what if she was an anti-masker?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    CM189191 said:
    what if she was an anti-masker?
    Was she holding rallies / bringing large groups of people together flaunting mask protocols during a pandemic? 
  • Options

Non profit for the whole world. Take note usa that's  how its done. £3 a dose.
    Sweden - THE HUMANITARIAN SUPERPOWER OF THE WORLD
    England - LIAM AND NOEL GALLAGHER
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
This discussion has been closed.