Options

The coronavirus

Comments

• Options
    When I travel and people find out I'm from NY they ask if I have ever watched the ball drop in Times Square?  I tell them hell no.  My idea of a good time is not standing in one place in the freezing cold w no bathrooms waiting to see a stupid ball drop...

Just passed up a New Years BBQ.  What is wrong w people?
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,643
    When I travel and people find out I'm from NY they ask if I have ever watched the ball drop in Times Square?  I tell them hell no.  My idea of a good time is not standing in one place in the freezing cold w no bathrooms waiting to see a stupid ball drop...

Just passed up a New Years BBQ.  What is wrong w people?

They are frigging idiots.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    New Year's Eve & St. Patrick's day are both amateur night, I can't remember the last time I got up for either. 

You're better off staying home / off the roads. 
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    New Year’s Eve always smelled of desperation to me. Gotta do something, anything, as long as it’s a big to-do.

Even prior to covid, we prefer to stay in. Plus there are always a bunch of drunk numbnuts who think they’re okay to drive.

And yeah, screw Valentine’s Day too!
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,804
    Boardgames/Cards with lots of food are the best New Years I have ever had with friends and family. Hope everyone is staying safe and the new year brings great news. 
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,829
    edited December 2020
    I haven't enjoyed new year's even in over a decade. And even when I did enjoy it, I didn't really enjoy it.  Missing out on NYE isn't going to be in my top-50 disappointments about the virus.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,835
    had i still been in my 20's during this, hell yeah i'd be pissed about NYE. it was probably the single biggest event in all my groups over the years. that and may long weekend. 

now it's just another night. my wife will most likely be in bed well before midnight. :look_at_the_time:
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,426
    edited December 2020
    https://www.facebook.com/musiciswin/posts/3988292337870482

app-facebook
    Music is Win
    on Saturday

After 8 days in the ICU with COVID-19 Pneumonia, I’m finally home safe and breathing on my own. It was a frightening event, and I am so grateful to be on the other side of this. I think this picture (taken by a nurse prior to my discharge from the hospital) captures the fighting spirit I apparently have inside me. The thing is, that spirit would not exist without the people who were supporting me the whole time I was stuck in there. 

To my friends and family across the globe, who shared so many motivational text and video messages of encouragement: thank you. Even though I was unable to respond, I saw everything. I needed all of it. When my morale was at its lowest, your words and thoughts were all I had to lean on. Even if you think it was a small, off-the-cuff greeting, I can’t overstate the importance of your well wishes, prayers, jokes, and love. 

To my sis-n-law, Hannah, who cooked and delivered me food constantly since Bethany was sick at home with COVID-19, (for those of you who know me, I have a *slightly* unique appetite), I literally would have starved without your kindness. You gave me hope when I was weak and sustained my comeback effort with your delicious and thoughtful meals and decorations, and I can’t thank you enough.

Finally, to my wife, Bethany… thank you. You were not only the liaison between my very worried and loving parents and myself, but also a problem-solver, smoothie-ordering aficionado, dog-watcher, and above all, my rock. I was never alone in that dark cave. You were the first and last person I communicated with every day. You gave me a reason to breathe when it felt like I might not any more. I’m here today because of the motivation I had to get home to you.

I am just so thankful to be home with my little family and I look forward to getting back to reality and starting a new year strong, healthy, and with a fighting spirit. If any of you have stories to share, please do–I wish you all good health and a safe holiday season.

Sincerely,
    Tyler

Post edited by vaggar99 on
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,643
    This is you?

Very glad you are on the mend, scary stuff.
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,579
    Glad you made it out of the ICU, vaggar. I appreciate your contribution here with us.
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    New Years' for me this year will be me and the dog, some edibles, some joints...no alcohol...and music.  All the best in 2021.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,757
    A friend of mine who is in her 70's fell and badly broke her pelvis, requiring surgery, followed by having to spend a few weeks in a convalescent hospital.  She was tested regularly and release about 10 days ago.  She is now healing slowly but surely and is COVID free.  The scary thing is, I just heard that eleven people died of COVID in that same facility. 

This is a real wake up call to be careful and not get injured.  Icy, snowy or wet streets and sidewalks, getting up at night and going out to the kitchen in the dark for a glass of water, driving, climbing up on ladders, you name it- there are a thousand or more ways to end up in a place you and I don't want to go to if we can help it.  Stay safe out there, friends! 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Some London hospitals are running low on oxygen.  This is now worse than the start and everyone is at home. I can see our health system on its knees
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,757
    Some London hospitals are running low on oxygen.  This is now worse than the start and everyone is at home. I can see our health system on its knees

Stay safe there, Rob.
    We have good friends who have a son and his wife and child living in London and they are quite concerned for them for good reason. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,310
    This wave seems more intense! During the 1st wave we didn’t have any positive test in my office at work now we’ve had three this month.
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,426
    This is you?

No, I apologize.  Should have been more clear.  His name is Tyler Larsen.  He has one of the biggest guitar based channels on Youtube. Met him earlier this year at NAMM in LA.  Seems like a lifetime ago now.
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    Bernie filibustering to try to get Americans $2000 relief checks.  Says senate won’t go home and military budget won’t be passed until there is a vote.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    vaggar99 said:
    This is you?

No, I apologize.  Should have been more clear.  His name is Tyler Larsen.  He has one of the biggest guitar based channels on Youtube. Met him earlier this year at NAMM in LA.  Seems like a lifetime ago now.

Still scary nonetheless, but glad it wasn't you who went through that.
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    vaggar99 said:
    https://www.facebook.com/musiciswin/posts/3988292337870482

app-facebook
    Music is Win
    on Saturday

After 8 days in the ICU with COVID-19 Pneumonia, I’m finally home safe and breathing on my own. It was a frightening event, and I am so grateful to be on the other side of this. I think this picture (taken by a nurse prior to my discharge from the hospital) captures the fighting spirit I apparently have inside me. The thing is, that spirit would not exist without the people who were supporting me the whole time I was stuck in there. 

To my friends and family across the globe, who shared so many motivational text and video messages of encouragement: thank you. Even though I was unable to respond, I saw everything. I needed all of it. When my morale was at its lowest, your words and thoughts were all I had to lean on. Even if you think it was a small, off-the-cuff greeting, I can’t overstate the importance of your well wishes, prayers, jokes, and love. 

To my sis-n-law, Hannah, who cooked and delivered me food constantly since Bethany was sick at home with COVID-19, (for those of you who know me, I have a *slightly* unique appetite), I literally would have starved without your kindness. You gave me hope when I was weak and sustained my comeback effort with your delicious and thoughtful meals and decorations, and I can’t thank you enough.

Finally, to my wife, Bethany… thank you. You were not only the liaison between my very worried and loving parents and myself, but also a problem-solver, smoothie-ordering aficionado, dog-watcher, and above all, my rock. I was never alone in that dark cave. You were the first and last person I communicated with every day. You gave me a reason to breathe when it felt like I might not any more. I’m here today because of the motivation I had to get home to you.

I am just so thankful to be home with my little family and I look forward to getting back to reality and starting a new year strong, healthy, and with a fighting spirit. If any of you have stories to share, please do–I wish you all good health and a safe holiday season.

Sincerely,
    Tyler

Sobering.

If this is you, I wish you well. If not, there are many others in similar situations to whom I extend those good thoughts. 
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,240
    That pizza balloon is awesome.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,515
    I work at a State correctional facility. We got notice that vaccines will be offered at our facility in the first or second week of January. 
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,448
    static111 said:
    Bernie filibustering to try to get Americans $2000 relief checks.  Says senate won’t go home and military budget won’t be passed until there is a vote.

• Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    cutz said:
    static111 said:

Bernie and Markey are still planning on holding up the defense bill
    until the $2000 is brought to the floor for a vote.  If it comes to the floor I have a feeling a lot of the No votes will not stay in office their next election cycle.  If it doesn’t come to the floor it looks bad for the Rs in Georgia.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,555
    Louisiana congressman Luke Letlow dead from COVID-19
    https://news.yahoo.com/louisiana-congressman-luke-letlow-dead-030127113.html
  • Options
    Oxford astrazeneca is now approved.  Game changer . Non profit
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,835
    k, been reading about this on regular media and social media. hear me out: I keep seeing people posting about how this guy never wore a mask....but we are consistently told that wearing a mask doesn't help the wearer, it protects those around the wearer, so why, when someone on the right dies or gets sick from covid, do people keep harping on the no mask thing as the reason these people got covid?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,555
    k, been reading about this on regular media and social media. hear me out: I keep seeing people posting about how this guy never wore a mask....but we are consistently told that wearing a mask doesn't help the wearer, it protects those around the wearer, so why, when someone on the right dies or gets sick from covid, do people keep harping on the no mask thing as the reason these people got covid?
    Idiocy?
    Stupidity?
    Ignorance?
    Fear?
    E. All of the above
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    They (CDC) now say it can help the person wearing.

The relationship between source control and personal protection is likely complementary and possibly synergistic14, so that individual benefit increases with increasing community mask use.

• Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,510
    edited December 2020
    I started a thread on this, as I found the circumstances worth discussing... 41YO w/ no underlying health conditions... it's scary. 

Regarding the mask thing, a lot of the criticism could be dismissed as partisan bullshit, sure; but it's not entirely unfair either considering how much the GOP has politicized mask wearing.

Not wearing a mask is a sign of ignorance or simply not giving a f about anyone else, and one could argue that politicians who behave this way are postponing the country's recovery from the pandemic / making it more difficult... I'm surprised you don't understand the anger, TBH. 
    Post edited by Merkin Baller on
This discussion has been closed.