Options

The coronavirus

Comments

• Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Southern Ontario goes into  a 28 day lockdown and Northern Ontario a 14 day lockdown starting December 26th.  School break has been extended 1 week.  Of course, flights from the UK landed today.  Maybe we should actually close the borders...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 28,040
    I just found out that teachers in NJ will be getting the vaccine during phase 1b:  Those frontline workers include some 30 million people, including first responders such as firefighters and police, educators, including teachers, support staff and daycare workers, those who work in food and agriculture, manufacturing, corrections workers, U.S. Postal Service workers, public transit workers and grocery workers.

So I am not antivaxx at all but for some reason am a little worried about getting a vaccine that was made so quickly.  Any thoughts?  Does everyone here plan to get the vaccine once it becomes available?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,379
    mcgruff10 said:
    I just found out that teachers in NJ will be getting the vaccine during phase 1b:  Those frontline workers include some 30 million people, including first responders such as firefighters and police, educators, including teachers, support staff and daycare workers, those who work in food and agriculture, manufacturing, corrections workers, U.S. Postal Service workers, public transit workers and grocery workers.

So I am not antivaxx at all but for some reason am a little worried about getting a vaccine that was made so quickly.  Any thoughts?  Does everyone here plan to get the vaccine once it becomes available?
    I plan to get it, but I also won't be in any of the early phases so will have probably 5 or 6 months to see if any of the teachers in New Jersey grow a tail or a 3rd arm and can then change my tune if need be.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    hedonist said:
    hedonist said:
    dankind said:
    hedonist said:
    tbergs said:
    Meanwhile, these idiots released an anti mask song. I couldn't care less about Van, but Clapton disappoints me.

https://www.vanityfair.com/style/2020/12/eric-clapton-and-van-morrison-release-their-anti-mask-anthem
    I've read a few disappointing things about Clapton recently... him & Van Morrison are good company for each other. 
    Me to Slowhand a la Costanza’s girlfriend to him: “You have no hand!”

Disappointing indeed. 
    Never been a fan.

Edit: And I just realized that these are the exact two artists I usually skip when watching The Last Waltz.
    I don’t blame you when it comes to Van (though I do love a couple of his old songs). Clapton was always...there. A standard of sorts, for me. 

Certainly won’t be the last time my affinity or respect for someone, celebrity or not, changes because of their views/actions. 
    But will you wear a mask?
    I bask in my mask, baby!
    With a name like Hedonist, I'd take you to task in your mask and we'd have a blast, baby.
    To paraphrase Clemenza - leave the mask, take the cannoli =)
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,844
    I’m going to get the vaccine when it’s available to me, assuming no major new findings before then, which I don’t expect. Vaccine development generally takes much longer because there is less need and less pressure, so fewer resources put toward the problem. With covid, all available resources around the world worked on the problem. The vaccine review and approval process in Canada at least went through the same stages as always, so I’m comfortable with that part. We did not get emergency release, we got full approval. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    I plan to get the vaccine when I can. 

Easy for me to say, I'll be one of the last groups to get it, but I do plan on getting it.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,947
    I had a package that needed to be sent today and the P.O. has been crazy busy lately so I got there before opening and got in line in the lobby.  This lady comes in and stands behind me with no mask.  I said, "Excuse me, do you have a mask?"  She says, "No, I don't play that game."  I firmly replies, "Well OK, but will you please stay away from me!"  She asked the guy behind her if he wanted to go in front of her.  He said yes and was wearing a mask.  That lady was a real hemorrhoid.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,096
    brianlux said:
    I had a package that needed to be sent today and the P.O. has been crazy busy lately so I got there before opening and got in line in the lobby.  This lady comes in and stands behind me with no mask.  I said, "Excuse me, do you have a mask?"  She says, "No, I don't play that game."  I firmly replies, "Well OK, but will you please stay away from me!"  She asked the guy behind her if he wanted to go in front of her.  He said yes and was wearing a mask.  That lady was a real hemorrhoid.
    it's not indoor mask mandatory where you are, brian?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,802
    Indoor mask mandatory doesn't mean they can/will enforce.
    You know, cause 'Merica, and we shoot people who try to limit our freedom.  :(

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,839
    brianlux said:

Given that it was before opening, this may have been outside.  But in a line-up situation, I absolutely wear a mask, even if we're at 6-foot increments.

Geez....it's just not that difficult to wear it. Do I love it? No.  But it's a pretty minor inconvenience and it's sad that some people actually feel oppressed over this.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    mcgruff10 said:

I'm conflicted about it for sure. I have reservations about long-term side effects, things that don't show up right away. I was having a conversation with my SIL nurse who is also reluctant, and she's like "What happens if you end up with Alzheimers in 5 years and nobody knew?" I also find it sketchy that it only prevents symptoms from developing. It doesn't actually prevent contraction of the virus itself. That seems weird to me, that I could be walking around with this latent virus and who knows how long the vaccine works to keep the symptoms at bay. 
    I should add I have never taken a flu vaccine in my life, and I've actually never developed flu. I know, I know -- it's not the fucking flu. I'm  just not one to take medicines unless it's totally necessary. My mom with heart failure has been on a cocktail of heart medications (BP, high lipids) for 30+ years and when I looked at the literature for her heart medicine, heart failure is an effect of long-term use for several of them. Go figure. Her anti-depressant can cause arythmia over the long term, so now she's got an arythmia. So now she's taking a blood thinner to prevent stroke from the arythmia, and the safety literature on that blood thinner cautions that it can cause the stroke it's supposed to prevent. It's just fucked up, modern medicine, as far as I'm concerned. 
    I don't know what I'm going to do. Right now, I'm inclined to just keep washing my hands, wearing a mask, and staying away from people. It's not that hard to do and I will probably have the same amount of protection as the vaccine.

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    brianlux said:
    I am sure she thought the same about you.
    Only one of you was right, and it sure as shit wasn't you lol
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    Yes and no.  There is a state mandate for masks and the P.O. has clear signs in the windows saying masks are required, but our Hell Dorado County Sheriff's office in all their glory and wisdumb decided they will not enforce it and people like this lady (most of whom are Trump fans) know it and flaunt their ability to get away with being shitty about not wearing a mask.
    Indoor mask mandatory doesn't mean they can/will enforce.
    You know, cause 'Merica, and we shoot people who try to limit our freedom.  :(

Exactly! 
    rgambs said:
    brianlux said:
    I am sure she thought the same about you.
    Only one of you was right, and it sure as shit wasn't you lol

Haha!  Could be!  The difference being, in my humble opinion, is that I may have had a hemorrhoid, but that's better than being a hemorrhoid!  :lol: 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    I will take vaccine this minute but sadly its sept before im allowed
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,398
    mcgruff10 said:

1.  When I read your list, my brain interpreted it as a list of the most useful people to society.  Kind of interesting :)

2.  Yes, I do think I'll get the vaccine once it's available to me.  I'm done with this shit.  I want to go to concerts, I want to travel again.  We won't be able to do these things unless enough people get the vaccine :(
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,774
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,774
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,591
    mcgruff10 said:

I work in the maintenance department of a correctional facility that has had large numbers of staff and offenders test positive, get sick and have had a couple of fatalities. We just got an email telling us that the State is receiving doses of the Moderna vaccine to be used at our facility for staff and offenders. It is voluntary, but they are strongly urging everyone to get it. Being rural Indiana, of course there are a large number of people who are saying they won't get it. I am definitely going to get it. I am in good health, but I am 52 and I am a runner. Some people who get the virus have had lingering issues with their lungs. I want to avoid that if I can.  
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,933
    IL had the fewest number of cases yesterday in 2 months.  Just shy of 4,700 vs. just shy of 12,800 mid-November.  Small piece of the big picture, but great news, especially with the supposed post-Thanksgiving surge on top of the surge that was predicted.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,802
    Good news for both of the posts above...
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    i saw a vaccine expert on CNN a few weeks back addressing the possibility of long term effects not yet known for the covid vaccine: he said that in almost all cases, long term effects make themselves known in the first 40 or so days after the vaccine is taken. and that window had already been gone through during the trial phase. and here is more info:

https://www.kiro7.com/news/local/long-term-side-effects-developed-too-quickly-covid-vaccine-concerns-answered/VKH2JZ7JBJGKJJF2LMQTYQ4VSU/

One worry people have is if there will be long-term side effects of a COVID vaccine, months or years down the road.

“We can never fully exclude the possibility, but it’s going to be very rare - one in a 100 million, or one in 10 million,” said Deborah Fuller, Ph.D, who is a vaccine scientist with UW Medicine.

Fuller said the chances of long-term complications are extremely unlikely because of how vaccines work.

“Most of their job is done in the first few days, then the vaccine is gone from your body. So what’s left is that immune response to the vaccine,” Fuller said.

Others have voiced concerns about the new technology behind Pfizer’s and Moderna’s vaccines, which use mRNA - the first vaccines to use such technology.

“Actually, mRNA vaccines have the potential to be even safer,” Fuller said. Most existing vaccines use inactivated or dead virus, but the new method avoids that.

“We don’t actually have to use the pathogen itself. There is no risk in those vaccine preparations of actually having a virus or not sufficiently inactivated, as is the case with the majority of the vaccines we currently take,” Fuller said.

Some are also worried about how fast the COVID vaccines were developed. But experts want to make sure you know - corners were not cut.

“Before a vaccine is licensed for use in a population, all of those steps have to be completed and all of those safety checkmarks made,” Fuller said. “The acceleration is actually due to an overlapping of the steps it takes to get a vaccine approved,” she said.

There are still many unknowns --  like how long the immunity will last, or how a vaccine’s effectiveness varies among demographics.

But the bottom line?

“People should not be hesitant to take this,” Bustillos said. “We should be concerned and vigilant. But these things should not amount to a decision not to take it, or even to wait and see,” he said.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Great science.  Always wonderful to read facts 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

I'm conflicted about it for sure. I have reservations about long-term side effects, things that don't show up right away. I was having a conversation with my SIL nurse who is also reluctant, and she's like "What happens if you end up with Alzheimers in 5 years and nobody knew?" I also find it sketchy that it only prevents symptoms from developing. It doesn't actually prevent contraction of the virus itself. That seems weird to me, that I could be walking around with this latent virus and who knows how long the vaccine works to keep the symptoms at bay. 
    I should add I have never taken a flu vaccine in my life, and I've actually never developed flu. I know, I know -- it's not the fucking flu. I'm  just not one to take medicines unless it's totally necessary. My mom with heart failure has been on a cocktail of heart medications (BP, high lipids) for 30+ years and when I looked at the literature for her heart medicine, heart failure is an effect of long-term use for several of them. Go figure. Her anti-depressant can cause arythmia over the long term, so now she's got an arythmia. So now she's taking a blood thinner to prevent stroke from the arythmia, and the safety literature on that blood thinner cautions that it can cause the stroke it's supposed to prevent. It's just fucked up, modern medicine, as far as I'm concerned. 
    I don't know what I'm going to do. Right now, I'm inclined to just keep washing my hands, wearing a mask, and staying away from people. It's not that hard to do and I will probably have the same amount of protection as the vaccine.

Why do you think this is weird? This is how our immune systems work. This is what happens to you every day - you walk around being exposed to a multitude of different potential pathogens and your immune system prevents you from getting sick. 

Rationalizations like these are going to keep the pandemic going. 
  • Options
    Then what was the mistake they did with the swine flu vaccin?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Ford rips Trudeau government for failing to secure border as Ontario imposes strict new lockdowns | London Free Press (lfpress.com)

Borders have never been closed.  Just another Trudeau lie...

Close the fucking border to all international arrivals...

And if Canadians insist on leaving...they should have to quarantine upon return at a hotel monitored by CBP.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    when did trudeau ever claim the borders were completely closed? all that was said was the canadian/american border was closed to leisure travel, with exceptions. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited December 2020
    Yeah, the rules and regulations around who is allowed through the border into Canada and for what reasons are laid out in detail on the federal government website. But hey, facts and all. 

Completely unrealistic to think we can completely close the border to all commercial and essential personal travel, and also pointless. Fewer than 1.5% of COVID cases have come from international arrivals 
  • Options
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Yeah, the rules and regulations around who is allowed through the border into Canada and for what reasons are laid out in detail on the federal government website. But hey, facts and all. 

Completely unrealistic to think we can completely close the border to all commercial and essential personal travel, and also pointless. Fewer than 1.5% of COVID cases have come from international arrivals 
    What facts are you even talking about?  The fact remain, the border IS NOT CLOSED.  If you are not a citizen of Canada or do not have residency...then they have no business entering Canada...if you are leaving, upon returning they should have to check into a hotel for 14 days at their expense monitored by CBP.

Jeesh.  The government tries to tell me I can not got 20 miles to visit relatives...but they have no problem with these SELFISH people coming and going...

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options

That virus x is a scary thing and as much as few if anyone wants it to happen, from a science perspective, the possibility of a major pandemic with far greater mortality rates than COVID is not surprising.  It's what nature does to control population and restore balances.  Our huge numbers and our propensity to travel more broadly because of our modes of transportation have set into motion a response from nature that sucks, but makes perfect sense.  If we learned to curb our growing numbers and didn't travel as much as we do, we would improve our chances of survival.  But having kids is a natural instinct and travel is fascinating and enjoyable, so I guess we just can't have it both ways in doing what is natural and what we want without consequences.

This discussion has been closed.