Options

The coronavirus

Comments

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,811
    Hobbes said:
    hedonist said:
    brianlux said:
    60.000 dollars a year would be alot in Sweden. Is it not in the US?

"A lot" depends on how one live.  In 1997-1998 I had to to live on what using an inflation calculator would equal $12,000 a year today (and we live in a state with a high cost of living).  It wasn't easy, but I had enough to pay rent, have a vehicle with insurance and pay my phone bill.  Since getting my life back on track, getting married in 2004, and doing much better, I make a good deal more than I did back then, but we still earn less than the median wages in California.  And yet we live better than people I know who make more than we do, have enough saved to not be worried about ever going broke, and we have no debt besides a very affordable mortgage.  It's all about budgeting.  I should write a book about personal finance and budgeting and make a million bucks. 
    A million bucks for common sense :lol:

To me, it's akin to the never-ending question of "how do I lose weight???"  Ummm, burn more calories than you take in.

Save more money than you spend.

It ain't that complicated

Just like fighting this virus.  
    Stay away from others, wear masks where deemed appropriate by the scientists.  Clean shit where you need to.

But the average person in America is a fucking idiot and fails at all three.
    Obese.
    Broke
    Spreading the Rona

I blame the McRib.
    :lol:

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,982
    hedonist said:
    brianlux said:

"A lot" depends on how one live.  In 1997-1998 I had to to live on what using an inflation calculator would equal $12,000 a year today (and we live in a state with a high cost of living).  It wasn't easy, but I had enough to pay rent, have a vehicle with insurance and pay my phone bill.  Since getting my life back on track, getting married in 2004, and doing much better, I make a good deal more than I did back then, but we still earn less than the median wages in California.  And yet we live better than people I know who make more than we do, have enough saved to not be worried about ever going broke, and we have no debt besides a very affordable mortgage.  It's all about budgeting.  I should write a book about personal finance and budgeting and make a million bucks. 

To me, it's akin to the never-ending question of "how do I lose weight???"  Ummm, burn more calories than you take in.

It ain't that complicated!

Haha, I see your on your game with the sarcasm.

Yes, it can be as simple as "save more than you spend".  That's the simple, basic approach. 

But it can also be a lot more involved than that if you want to take it to a different level.  And that includes things like knowing how to set up an effective budget, investing wisely while keeping social and earth justice in mind, knowing the difference between want and need, understanding the long term benefits of durability, developing friendly networking skills, building community, benefiting broadly through generosity and giving, developing skills that allow you maximize the longevity of your physical and monetary assets, understanding principles of time management, and so forth.

But don't worry, if I ever do write such a book, I won't push it on you.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    brianlux said:
    hedonist said:
    brianlux said:

Yes, it can be as simple as "save more than you spend".  That's the simple, basic approach. 

But it can also be a lot more involved than that if you want to take it to a different level.  And that includes things like knowing how to set up an effective budget, investing wisely while keeping social and earth justice in mind, knowing the difference between want and need, understanding the long term benefits of durability, developing friendly networking skills, building community, benefiting broadly through generosity and giving, developing skills that allow you maximize the longevity of your physical and monetary assets, understanding principles of time management, and so forth.

Thanks, O enlightened one!

I hope you don’t assume others don’t possess the necessary brain functions, reasoning, and conscience to live responsibly, and not only in the financial sense.

So yeah, I dig my approach - basic and simple as it may be, to some. 
  • Options
    Hobbes said:
    hedonist said:
    brianlux said:

Stay away from others, wear masks where deemed appropriate by the scientists.  Clean shit where you need to.

Obese.
    Broke
    Spreading the Rona

I blame the McRib.
    You, sir, are a McRib shamer. 
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,844
    hedonist said:
    Hobbes said:
    hedonist said:
    brianlux said:

Obese.
    Broke
    Spreading the Rona

I blame the McRib.
    If there was ever something that deserved to be shamed, it’s the McRib. Plus its entire McFamily 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,967
    mmm... Now I want a McRib.
  • Options
    hedonist said:
    Hobbes said:
    hedonist said:
    brianlux said:

Obese.
    Broke
    Spreading the Rona

I blame the McRib.
    If there was ever something that deserved to be shamed, it’s the McRib. Plus its entire McFamily 
    McBastards!

I just learned that two people (one staff, the other a resident) tested positive. Fortunately they isolated and are now negative. 

We even have to wear masks to take the trash down the hall! Tiny price to pay, though. Our hospitals are at 0% capacity. 
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,967
    Well Canada hit half a MILLION. I wonder what the true numbers are (yet not enough to search up the data).
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    hedonist said:
    brianlux said:

Absolutely true!  Now if only simple could equal easy, we'd all be kicking ass! 
    Weight loss and personal finance are the perfect examples for how something can be incredibly simple, and still so hard.  
    In both cases though, once you've toughed it out and hoed the hard road, you can have the confidence to know that even if it's hard, it WILL work if you work it.

Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    hedonist said:
    brianlux said:
    hedonist said:
    brianlux said:

Thanks, O enlightened one!

I hope you don’t assume others don’t possess the necessary brain functions, reasoning, and conscience to live responsibly, and not only in the financial sense.

So yeah, I dig my approach - basic and simple as it may be, to some. 

Other than people with impaired cognitive abilities (and these are often the most beautiful, happy, and loving people you could ever meet), of course I don't assume that about other people.  What a weird thing to say.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    @brianlux and @hedonist

You are the two nicest people on these damn boards and it straight up baffles me how y'all are always buttin' heads lol 

Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    rgambs said:
    @brianlux and @hedonist

You are the two nicest people on these damn boards and it straight up baffles me how y'all are always buttin' heads lol 

Yeah, well, it's really fucking weird isn't it?  I have no idea what the problem is here.  I offer some suggestions and catch flack for it like I was putting other people down or something.  Shit, no way!  I like receiving good ideas and advice, and once in a long while, if I think I have something worth sharing, I share it.  I really don't see what the porblem is with that.   And it's not like I'm some fucking genius that invented those ideas.  They're things I learned from other people, mostly my folks and my very likeable wife.  I just like sharing those things that I find helpful.  She can take them or leave them.  I don't give a fuck either way.
    Post edited by brianlux on

• Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,304
    brianlux said:
    rgambs said:
    @brianlux and @hedonist

Yeah, well, it's really fucking weird isn't it?  I have no idea what the problem is here.  I offer some suggestions and catch flack for it like I was putting other people down or something.  Shit, no way!  I like receiving good ideas and advice, and once in a long while, if I think I have something worth sharing, I share it.  I really don't see what the porblem is with that.   And it's not like I'm some fucking genius that invented those ideas.  They're things I learned from other people, mostly my folks and my very likeable wife.  I just like sharing those things that I find helpful.  She can take them or leave them.  I don't give a fuck either way.
    Best to ignore the negativity Brian. I don't know why anyone would have a problem with what you said. It's petty.

Rgambs is right, you are one of the nicest people here. Have a happy holidays.
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    rgambs said:
    @brianlux and @hedonist

I've no problem and what I wrote was far from negative.  Talk about making a mountain out of a molehill.

It's all okay, really.

Now back to that nasty virus!
  • Options
    hedonist said:
    brianlux said:
    rgambs said:
    @brianlux and @hedonist

I've no problem and what I wrote was far from negative.  Talk about making a mountain out of a molehill.

It's all okay, really.

Now back to that nasty virus!

Fair enough.

• Options
    dignin said:
    brianlux said:
    rgambs said:
    @brianlux and @hedonist

Best to ignore the negativity Brian. I don't know why anyone would have a problem with what you said. It's petty.

Rgambs is right, you are one of the nicest people here. Have a happy holidays.

Thanks, dignin, you too Gambs.  We've had some differences but in the long run, we're all pretty much here for each other.  In these hard times, that's huge to me.

NEIL YOUNG Peace and Love RARE EDIT PROMO DJ CD single 1995 USA MINT

• Options
    https://youtu.be/NGQKAvsnISg
    The cavalry is on the horizon 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,936
    Damn. Seeing pictures of that mass exodus from London. Scary shit. Stay safe everyone. 
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    Damn. Seeing pictures of that mass exodus from London. Scary shit. Stay safe everyone. 

What's that about?  I hadn't heard about this.  Where are they going?

• Options
    brianlux said:
    nicknyr15 said:

A lot of people are apparently getting out before the new lockdown restrictions. 
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    brianlux said:
    nicknyr15 said:

A lot of people are apparently getting out before the new lockdown restrictions. 

That sounds crazy to me.  Where the heck do you go in the middle of a pandemic?  Why not just shelter at home until things settle down more?

• Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    I just checked it out. Wow. 
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,113
    brianlux said:
    rgambs said:
    @brianlux and @hedonist

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,845
    brianlux said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    brianlux said:
    nicknyr15 said:

That sounds crazy to me.  Where the heck do you go in the middle of a pandemic?  Why not just shelter at home until things settle down more?
    South Dakota.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    rgambs said:
    @brianlux and @hedonist

A person could also, I don’t know, actually IGNORE another poster if their words get said person gets so very upset over their nerf-ball comments on a band’s message board.

Easy-peasy!
  • Options
    hedonist said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.timesunion.com/news/amp/Cuomo-U-S-should-ban-or-restrict-travel-from-15817658.php

And who knows where everybody is heading? 
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,113
    hedonist said:
    brianlux said:
    rgambs said:
    @brianlux and @hedonist

A person could also, I don’t know, actually IGNORE another poster if their words get said person gets so very upset over their nerf-ball comments on a band’s message board.

Easy-peasy!
    that's some top notch advice right there. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,844
    edited December 2020
    nicknyr15 said:
    hedonist said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.timesunion.com/news/amp/Cuomo-U-S-should-ban-or-restrict-travel-from-15817658.php

And who knows where everybody is heading? 
    It’s worth remembering that the science has not yet confirmed that this strain is more transmissible, from what I read this morning anyway. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
This discussion has been closed.