Options

The coronavirus

Comments

• Options
    My opinion  is that schools should be shut. 
    The teachers have a union here and they  were near to striking .i dont think its fair on teachers  and i agree with  lots of points on this being  about babysitting in a way. 
    To say these kids will have a poorer  education  and will be missing out  is not true. So for 6 months it will change their  future. Not a chance. We took our kids out and there  is no remote learning  here. So we have to home school.  That is not at all easy or what we would  want but  we felt no choice. Im not going to do what i feel un safe and we have been made out as criminals  and sent fines. Fuck them i say. We should  all have the choice and with a functioning autistic step son. He is much calmer and happier at home. No comparison.  Now we enroled him in a college for next sept . Until then we carry on doing our best.  Its alright  for some who are not scared but most  are and the pressure  schools here put on people is disgusting.  
    I see both points but i agree more  with what dreams is saying.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761

What determined if schools reopened? How many Trump voters were in a district.

Union power also played a role. But covid-19 rates didn’t.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/2020/11/10/partisanship-schools-reopening-virus-trump-unions/
    By Leslie K. Finger and Michael T. Hartney
    November 10, 2020 at 9:27 a.m. EST

Debates about whether to open schools have raged since the summer. Whatever else might shape these decisions, it would make sense that the local intensity of covid-19 spread would play a major part: School districts with low rates of cases would be more likely to open than school districts with high rates. Those districts would likely stick with a more cautious, online-only approach.

a new study we conducted, examining some 10,000 school districts across the country — some 75 percent of the total — remarkably finds essentially no connection between covid-19 case rates and decisions regarding schools. Rather, politics is shaping the decisions: The two main factors that determined whether a school district opened in-person were the level of support in the district for Donald Trump in 2016 and the strength of teachers’ unions. A third factor, with a much smaller impact, was the amount of competition a school district faces from private schools, in particular Catholic schools.

The finding is a testament to how the nationalization of partisan politics affects governance at all levels. Traditionally, local governments — and particularly school boards, whose members are often elected in nonpartisan, unusually timed elections — have been more technocratic than their state or federal counterparts. Public officials at the local level concentrate on problems like keeping streets paved and deciding whether to build a new elementary school or buy new buses. Yet this study suggests that the polarizing politics of red and blue caused school boards to drift away from a dispassionate analysis of covid-19 numbers toward the political preferences of their constituents.

[--- Etc, Etc ----]

The implications of national and partisan disputes pervading local education governance offers something of a political Rorschach test: On the one hand, it shows that schools are responsive to voters and to local interest groups. That is, by one measure, how democracy is supposed to work, and so it might be applauded. At the same time, some observers may regret that scientific data hasn’t so far played a large role in schools’ response to this massive public health crisis.

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,998
    Just curious as to what you all say to a person when you're in line at the post office or grocery store and someone gets in line behind you without a mask? 

This happened to me today at the post office (the only one in the area open on Saturday, half day).  This lady gets behind me and has no mask.  The sign on the wall asks everyone to wear a mask.  I ask the lady, "Do you have a mask?"  She say no.  I tell her firmly, "Well then, you need to back off!"  She back off a good ways.  I didn't mean to sound overly threatening... but I wasn't exactly nice either. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    brianlux said:
    Just curious as to what you all say to a person when you're in line at the post office or grocery store and someone gets in line behind you without a mask? 

This happened to me today at the post office (the only one in the area open on Saturday, half day).  This lady gets behind me and has no mask.  The sign on the wall asks everyone to wear a mask.  I ask the lady, "Do you have a mask?"  She say no.  I tell her firmly, "Well then, you need to back off!"  She back off a good ways.  I didn't mean to sound overly threatening... but I wasn't exactly nice either. 
    Funny you should  post this.  Today a delivery womam  came into our stairwell . 2 flats in the  stair well.
    She came up the stairs knocked our door with a mask under her chin. I said "thats gonna do fuck all under your chin"
    Ive had enough of these absolute  dunces. She scurried off without  a word. 
    Both of us are then at risk
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    Austria has gone into full lockdown which does include schools above primary  i believe 
     A true  lock down. 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    brianlux said:

I don’t think I’d have said “back off”; it doesn’t strike me as threatening as much as it does somewhat dickish- not calling you a dick, to be clear. 

I haven’t been in that position but hope I’d use different words in a scenario like that...especially depending on the other person too.

I’m not so bold (read: ballsy, in my physical state) to tell some huge angry person they need to back off :lol:
  • Options
    brianlux said:

Funny you should  post this.  Today a delivery womam  came into our stairwell . 2 flats in the  stair well.
    She came up the stairs knocked our door with a mask under her chin. I said "thats gonna do fuck all under your chin"
    Ive had enough of these absolute  dunces. She scurried off without  a word. 
    Both of us are then at risk
    Oh man, no kidding!  It's almost like some people make a joke of wearing a mask.  "You're not going to save you chin from the virus, buddy!"
    hedonist said:
    brianlux said:

I don’t think I’d have said “back off”; it doesn’t strike me as threatening as much as it does somewhat dickish- not calling you a dick, to be clear. 

I haven’t been in that position but hope I’d use different words in a scenario like that...especially depending on the other person too.

I’m not so bold (read: ballsy, in my physical state) to tell some huge angry person they need to back off :lol:
    Actually, now that I think of it, I'm certain I said, "You're going to need to back up,"  but in my head I was saying, "back off".  But yeah, basically the same thing.  At this point, my patience wears thin with people that go into a place for five minutes and can't wear a fucking mask.  Especially when there are workers out there who have to wear one 40 hours a week.  I think the people who refuse to wear masks are the ones being dicks (or other anatomical parts).   Everyone knows it's required.

Because of my age and impaired immune system, I stopped working in the bookstore and just do my own on-line business and work a few hours when I can organizing after hours.  My co-workers at the store have to wear a mask all day.  The younger fellow who is basically our manager there works the most hours and he has to deal with the shitheads who come in and say "I don't have to wear a mask."  I'm sure he handles it better than I do. 

The fact is, customers do have to wear a mask.  Some of them will say "I'm allowed to not wear a mask due to medical conditions."  That is false.  They do not have the right to not wear a mask.  In fact, the law basically says, "You have the right to not shop in a store when asked to wear a mask."  There's a lot of misunderstanding about the mask laws.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    I cannot  understand  how any human does not understand  face covering in a pandemic. Indoors  is very clear  to understand aerosolization isn't  it?  What part of airborne is hard to grasp
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    I cannot  understand  how any human does not understand  face covering in a pandemic. Indoors  is very clear  to understand aerosolization isn't  it?  What part of airborne is hard to grasp

Is it that they don't grasp the concept, or that they don't care, or that they think they are someone special, or that they think they are immune?  Yeah, I don't get it either!

• Options
    brianlux said:

Is it that they don't grasp the concept, or that they don't care, or that they think they are someone special, or that they think they are immune?  Yeah, I don't get it either!
    Any of those are a great reason to not like humanity much.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    brianlux said:

I often feel the same way.  I still feel bad saying that, but a woman I know who has a doctorate in psychology and who I worked with once said something interesting.  She is now retired, but when I worked with her, she was the head of the Human Services program at our local college.  The program was basically a counselor training program, and I was the program assistant.  She is an amazing woman- exceptional at her work and someone who cares deeply about trying to help people.  One day, during class, she said something to her students that set me back on my heals.  She said, "In some ways, I am rather misanthropic."  I had to think about that for a while and came to the conclusion that perhaps it is her disdain for the human race as a whole that drove her to work so hard to help people.  I know she deeply cares for individuals in her life, but she has a strong dislike for the human race as a whole.  Because of her (in many ways, really), I really learned something important about myself. 

• Options
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

I often feel the same way.  I still feel bad saying that, but a woman I know who has a doctorate in psychology and who I worked with once said something interesting.  She is now retired, but when I worked with her, she was the head of the Human Services program at our local college.  The program was basically a counselor training program, and I was the program assistant.  She is an amazing woman- exceptional at her work and someone who cares deeply about trying to help people.  One day, during class, she said something to her students that set me back on my heals.  She said, "In some ways, I am rather misanthropic."  I had to think about that for a while and came to the conclusion that perhaps it is her disdain for the human race as a whole that drove her to work so hard to help people.  I know she deeply cares for individuals in her life, but she has a strong dislike for the human race as a whole.  Because of her (in many ways, really), I really learned something important about myself. 
    I guess  that is exactly  how  i feel
     Well described!
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,594
    edited November 2020
    Had declined first. But the bar was very empty. A few people scattered in the corners. Some dogs.  So I went and had a vegan milkshake with rum and talked about how underrated the movie Hook is. 

Surprised about how empty it was on a saturday. And before the new reatrictions take place. 

Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Had declined first. But the bar was very empty. A few people scattered in the corners. Some dogs.  So I went and had a vegan milkshake with rum and talked about how underrated the movie Hook is. 

Surprised about how empty it was on a saturday. And before the new reatrictions take place. 

Your posts are so contradictory lol
    Paraphrasing of course:
    "Sweden doesn't need lockdowns and mandates because we are smart and good and we comply"

"I go to bars and have house parties... because I want to"

"Sweden is fucked"

"Let's get one more visit to the pub before they make us do what we are supposedly doing because we are smart and good"

And before you ask, no, I am not physically distancing from my wife and son.

Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    I have  to agree. Whats the point in going to a bar when you know its fucked
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    I don't want to rehash everything and start it all over, but y'all gave what dreams the raw deal yesterday.  Y'all feel just as strongly as she does and you were dramatic too, you were just on the consensus side...
    Maybe Zoom learning isn't perfect, but neither is in class learning, especially in Covid times.  My son doesn't get to talk to his teacher and she's too busy teaching ABC's and 123's to kids with shitty parents to teach him to read and do the addition and subtraction he's ready to learn.  That's nothing new, either.  I had maybe 3-5 teachers as good as McGruff in my entire school career, we all know there's some bullshit teaching going on in every school.

I fucking GUARANTEE that distance learning with engaged parents beats in school learning left to the teachers in students without disabilities and special issues.  I double-damn guarantee it for gifted students.

In- person learning with the current model isn't the best possible model, it's just the one with the widest net, that brings the most average people to an average level of education...I don't have a problem with it, I'm just saying it's not the end-all, and someone defending their ability to teach differently during a fucking pandemic! shouldn't have to deal with verbiage like 'garbage', IMO.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    rgambs said:

And before you ask, no, I am not physically distancing from my wife and son.

Well then, lika stor kålsupare. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    I have  to agree. Whats the point in going to a bar when you know its fucked
    Last time I was there they couldn't make the milkshake. I saw this as my chance to try it before I lock myself down till christmas. Wouldn't have gone if not for it being almost zero people in there. But yeah, maybe should have stayed home. at the same time I have family working in the restaurant business so I now of their struggle. And they need support,.

Swedish newspaper today:

"The Second wave is here: "This will not end".
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    nvm
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,811
    rgambs said:
    I don't want to rehash everything and start it all over, but y'all gave what dreams the raw deal yesterday.  Y'all feel just as strongly as she does and you were dramatic too, you were just on the consensus side...
    Maybe Zoom learning isn't perfect, but neither is in class learning, especially in Covid times.  My son doesn't get to talk to his teacher and she's too busy teaching ABC's and 123's to kids with shitty parents to teach him to read and do the addition and subtraction he's ready to learn.  That's nothing new, either.  I had maybe 3-5 teachers as good as McGruff in my entire school career, we all know there's some bullshit teaching going on in every school.

I fucking GUARANTEE that distance learning with engaged parents beats in school learning left to the teachers in students without disabilities and special issues.  I double-damn guarantee it for gifted students.

In- person learning with the current model isn't the best possible model, it's just the one with the widest net, that brings the most average people to an average level of education...I don't have a problem with it, I'm just saying it's not the end-all, and someone defending their ability to teach differently during a fucking pandemic! shouldn't have to deal with verbiage like 'garbage', IMO.
    I think I was nice to her given the way she came at parents.  I also understand how upsetting this is - and while I am not a teacher I can imagine how tough it is to be one.
    Further, I agree that schools should be closed in hot zones.
    I will argue on your guarantee.  My son's teacher this term is amazing.  I love this woman.  I agree that she could be a part of a great learning environment if we spend time with him every day, which of course we do.
    However, the teacher he had last term was a pile of shit, as far as teaching remotely went.  Horrible.  Dogshit   yes, Garbage.  I don't know how she slept at night.  I gave her a pass and didn't go to the principal and board because of everything everyone is going through but it was actually a waste of time to have our son engage in any remote learning stuff with this teacher.

So, clearly it depends.

I suggested she take a walk or find a way to cool down - and still suggest that based on the posts.  I'm glad she is helping her students but that doesn't mean I have to agree or not be critical of the crazy / angry post about anyone wanting schools to stay open just being about free baby sitting and playmates.  

To suggest the responses to her are sexist because most teachers are women?
    I won't even validate that statement by arguing it.
    Wrong.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,474
    https://twitter.com/drericding/status/1327836536424042498?s=21
    Covidiot supporters also don’t believe it’s the virus that’s made them sick even as they are in ventilator they keep asking for miracle drugs to help them! It’s unreal that one man can persuade some many people with just words..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,065
    brianlux said:

Isn’t there a mask mandate there still? We’ve had one since March or April and it has ever been lifted . We can’t get into a store or building without one, most have someone monitoring people coming in and will stop you if you don’t have one.
    I thought California was even more strict about it.
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,474
    https://twitter.com/jodidoering/status/1327771329555292162?s=21
    Here’s a nurse talking about Covidiot’s not believing they have the virus but that Biden will ruin the nation !
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 28,053
    We just canceled our Thanksgiving plans.  :(
    just gonna stay home with the kids.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    Pick up Mario Kart
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 28,053
    mcgruff10 said:
    Pick up Mario Kart
    Have it and not a terrible idea.  Got to see if the Wii still works.  My son wants Xbox series X for Christmas.  I was like, yeah good luck with that.  Lol
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    We are in lockdown i know its rough man. But it makes you closer. 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,304
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Pick up Mario Kart
    Have it and not a terrible idea.  Got to see if the Wii still works.  My son wants Xbox series X for Christmas.  I was like, yeah good luck with that.  Lol
    Hack that Wii. Put a shit ton of games on it. It will make for a fun project.
  • Options
    Don't do illegal stuff.
  • Options
    Oh 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

This discussion has been closed.