The coronavirus

Comments

• gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 Posts: 23,035
    Jason P said:
    I don't know if an employer can just give out medical information of an employee to other employees without their consent.  I don't know if anyone with hepatitis want the boss to hit 'send all' company wide.  COVID is unique.  Seems like the proper human reaction would to inform other employees if someone tested with COVID.  But proper human reaction is ripe for getting sued to high heavens in court. 
    actually, proper human reaction is to stomp all over that flaming paper bag of dog poo on the porch...
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,114
    Jason P said:
    I don't know if an employer can just give out medical information of an employee to other employees without their consent.  I don't know if anyone with hepatitis want the boss to hit 'send all' company wide.  COVID is unique.  Seems like the proper human reaction would to inform other employees if someone tested with COVID.  But proper human reaction is ripe for getting sued to high heavens in court. 
    They don't need to name the person or even say it's an employee. I think people should be told if someone who was in the building tested positive.
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    pjl44 said:
    Jason P said:
    They don't need to name the person or even say it's an employee. I think people should be told if someone who was in the building tested positive.
    We had a nursing home put out an official statement after 40 employees tested positive a month ago.  Again, I have no idea what the proper responsibility / constraints an employer has if they know an employee tested positive.   But what if the employer hasn't seen an official doctor's report and is only relying on hearsay?  This is a devil's advocate scenario.

fubar.
    Jason P said:
    pjl44 said:
    Jason P said:
    We had a nursing home put out an official statement after 40 employees tested positive a month ago.  Again, I have no idea what the proper responsibility / constraints an employer has if they know an employee tested positive.   But what if the employer hasn't seen an official doctor's report and is only relying on hearsay?  This is a devil's advocate scenario.

fubar.
    I have it on good authority that if the employee tells someone then they wouldn't have a claim to privacy if they chose to go down that road. Aside from that, it depends on how someone finds out I guess. If it's actual rumor, that's probably not enough to act on.
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,424
    Phase 3 for province on Friday. Rumour is things are going to be opening up significantly. 

• Family and friends bubble
    • Gatherings with physical distancing of 50 or fewer
    • Increase in elective surgeries and other non-emergency health care services
    • Non-regulated health professionals/businesses
    • Personal services businesses
    • Swimming pools, saunas and waterparks
    • Gyms, yoga and dance studios
    • Rinks and indoor recreational facilities
    • Pool halls and bowling alleys
    • Low-contact team sports
    • Other sectors to be determined
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,592
    pjhawks said:
    brianlux said:
    I've been thinking about mental health and how it relates to the pandemic.  I hate to sound neurotic saying this, and I know it's not just about me and I know others are probably having a hard time, but to be honest, I'm kind of floundering.  I became acutely aware of this earlier today when I mentioned to my wife something about my anxiety level being up today.  Then somehow the subject of depression came up and I told her I had more depression than anxiety.  She was very surprised when I said that and said,  "Really?!"   Our talk led me to realize that as much as I'm very transparent when it comes to anxiety,  I must be, on the other hand, very good at covering up depression.  She had no idea I'm dealing with depression despite that it is at a very high level.  I think a lot about how it would be OK to depart, how much easier that would be than carrying on.  And then it gets more tangled because I know I can't end my life, that I have to keep going no matter what! That's a better choice of course, but a damn hard one much of the time.  I wouldn't tell her this though.  That would be unfair.  She is so much better than I am. I would not do that to her.
    I've never been one to suffer from anxiety or depression but this has given me bouts of both at times.  I can only imagine how it is affecting some who have suffered from these before this situation.  Beginning of this was really really hard for me. The anxiety of the possibility of people close to me getting really sick, missing out on some evens i look forward to each year,  and people being out of work was overwhelming to think about at times.  It's gotten better as I've been able to adjust to working from home all the time  and have been lucky enough to stay employed, busy and with full pay so far and also thankfully everyone I know so far has been spared any health issues related to it. One area I still see some affects has been sleep.  I never really had problems sleeping before. I was pretty good for 7+ hours a night mostly deep sleep but I find myself having much more restless sleep. lots of tossing and turning and waking up during the night. it's interesting to hear how others are being affected mentally by this.  

Hang in there, pjhawks.  I hope you do better with sleep soon.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

We had to run into town today to run a few errands- groceries and C. needed to drop off some PPP paperwork at the store.  It was odd being in town.  I'd say only about 10% of the people I saw walking around had masks on.  Lots of people carrying on like everything was normal.  Pretty scary.  I'm glad to be back home! 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,317
    Jason P said:
    They can’t. They can only say 1) you didn’t have contact with someone who tested positive 2) you did. 

If they think their is a chance they will use names and ask you if you’ve had contact with this person. 
    hippiemom = goodness
    This is the kind of thinking we need to heed if we are going to get through this:

The main points made here:
    -A top US scientist has said that people should not count on a Covid-19 vaccine being developed any time soon.
    -The best approach to the pandemic is to manage the disease through careful tracing of infections and strict isolation measures whenever it starts spreading.
    -Wear masks, wash hands, clean surfaces and keep a distance.
    -“Do not listen to the politicians who say we’re going to have one by the time my re election comes around,” he said.
    -Vaccines developed previously for other types of coronavirus had failed to protect mucous membranes in the nose where the virus typically enters the body
    -The United States and other countries has not done enough to “forcibly isolate” people exposed to the virus.
    -US, Russia and Brazil – which rank first, second and third for infections – have done the worst.

So is the US following this advice?  Not enough.  Too much opening up too fast.  Too many people ignoring the advice to wear masks. Too many places were people are not distancing.  There is way too much of this reckless behavior going on. 

• g under pg under p Posts: 18,171
    brianlux said:
    I've been thinking about mental health and how it relates to the pandemic.  I hate to sound neurotic saying this, and I know it's not just about me and I know others are probably having a hard time, but to be honest, I'm kind of floundering.  I became acutely aware of this earlier today when I mentioned to my wife something about my anxiety level being up today.  Then somehow the subject of depression came up and I told her I had more depression than anxiety.  She was very surprised when I said that and said,  "Really?!"   Our talk led me to realize that as much as I'm very transparent when it comes to anxiety,  I must be, on the other hand, very good at covering up depression.  She had no idea I'm dealing with depression despite that it is at a very high level.  I think a lot about how it would be OK to depart, how much easier that would be than carrying on.  And then it gets more tangled because I know I can't end my life, that I have to keep going no matter what! That's a better choice of course, but a damn hard one much of the time.  I wouldn't tell her this though.  That would be unfair.  She is so much better than I am. I would not do that to her.
    Brian, just two days ago I looked out my living room and wondered about other people and what they might be going through. I thought how lucky I'm to have someone with me, (my sister is staying with me as she works with her snowbird client and stuck here indefinitely) to bounce off thoughts and ideas. I thought about so many who live alone and doing so though this pandemic. 

As for me ever since my birthday 3/10 I've been really nervous being around too many people. Before all of this I loved a crowd more people to talk to, not any more. I've checks to put in the bank now but I'll wait till end of the week to deposit them. I just don't like going out anymore even though here in Palm Beach County businesses are doing a good job of keeping distances in their stores. At work here I've been asked to train employees I had to say no because the training was during the day while members were shopping in our club (BJS).

I'm finding comfort in the isolation of home, it gives me more time to tend to my orchid collection. Hang in there, stay strong and yes it gets tough at times just bounce those negative thoughts off your loved one seems to make things better. I certainly feel so much better after I've had a Zoom chat with family in Canada, England, Saudi Arabia, Jamaica and here. We even have a theme b4 we start to talk every two weeks. I always say I'm doing this for 15 minutes but always end up being an hour and 15 minutes. Be well B.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• g under pg under p Posts: 18,171
    Well since I have CV19 test facility across the street at the Ballpark of the Palm Beaches I'm going to get tested tomorrow at 10:05am. I must say it was not difficult at all, I was given all the directions I must follow for the test and they were nice(this was all done over the phone).

We will see how it goes tomorrow.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• tbergstbergs Posts: 9,545
    pjl44 said:
    Jason P said:
    pjl44 said:
    Jason P said:

fubar.
    I have it on good authority that if the employee tells someone then they wouldn't have a claim to privacy if they chose to go down that road. Aside from that, it depends on how someone finds out I guess. If it's actual rumor, that's probably not enough to act on.
    I work for a state college and we have a tracing policy in place. When the first possible case came up back in March we did a campus wide notification because the person had been all over the building. Shortly after is when everything went in to stay at home orders and we closed all access except one entry and require check in and track where everyone goes with limited access.

We only notify those directly who had contact or work in proximity of the individual. It becomes pretty obvious who the person is once you start notifying people, but the name is never provided to anyone outside of HR and the supervisor. There is no requirement to notify an entire building if people didn't have contact. Most of the guidelines now indicate very low risk unless you were in direct contact with someone for more than 10 minutes. Once limited in person classes resume things will get more complicated and higher levels of exposure will be more likely.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,545
    Looks like we'll probably reach 100,000 deaths on Memorial Day. Averaging around 1500 a day and sitting at 93,500 right now. Adds some more significance to that day's meaning.
    It's a hopeless situation...
    tbergs said:
    pjl44 said:
    Jason P said:
    pjl44 said:
    Jason P said:

fubar.
    I work for a state college and we have a tracing policy in place. When the first possible case came up back in March we did a campus wide notification because the person had been all over the building. Shortly after is when everything went in to stay at home orders and we closed all access except one entry and require check in and track where everyone goes with limited access.

We only notify those directly who had contact or work in proximity of the individual. It becomes pretty obvious who the person is once you start notifying people, but the name is never provided to anyone outside of HR and the supervisor. There is no requirement to notify an entire building if people didn't have contact. Most of the guidelines now indicate very low risk unless you were in direct contact with someone for more than 10 minutes. Once limited in person classes resume things will get more complicated and higher levels of exposure will be more likely.
    This seems like a reasonable response to me
    g under p said:
    brianlux said:
    Brian, just two days ago I looked out my living room and wondered about other people and what they might be going through. I thought how lucky I'm to have someone with me, (my sister is staying with me as she works with her snowbird client and stuck here indefinitely) to bounce off thoughts and ideas. I thought about so many who live alone and doing so though this pandemic. 

As for me ever since my birthday 3/10 I've been really nervous being around too many people. Before all of this I loved a crowd more people to talk to, not any more. I've checks to put in the bank now but I'll wait till end of the week to deposit them. I just don't like going out anymore even though here in Palm Beach County businesses are doing a good job of keeping distances in their stores. At work here I've been asked to train employees I had to say no because the training was during the day while members were shopping in our club (BJS).

I'm finding comfort in the isolation of home, it gives me more time to tend to my orchid collection. Hang in there, stay strong and yes it gets tough at times just bounce those negative thoughts off your loved one seems to make things better. I certainly feel so much better after I've had a Zoom chat with family in Canada, England, Saudi Arabia, Jamaica and here. We even have a theme b4 we start to talk every two weeks. I always say I'm doing this for 15 minutes but always end up being an hour and 15 minutes. Be well B.

Peace

I am grateful as well to have someone with me, my wife.  I live and spent most of my time alone from around 1995 to 2000 so I know I could do it, but it's so much better to have someone wonderful in my life.  My sister lost her husband 5 years ago so she has been going through this alone.  We talk to her every evening- since mid March we have only gone 2 days without talking.  I'm sure it's been helpful for her. 

The internet, smart phones, zoom, all this technology has been hugely helpful to a lot of folks.  I've never been real big on technology but right now, I think it's fantastic.  So helpful for so many people!

Good luck with the CV-19 test tomorrow!  Let us know how it goes.  Stay safe and be well. And thanks for kind words!

Turns out the CDC and several states are combining viral and antibody tests when reporting results. Good times.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/05/cdc-and-states-are-misreporting-covid-19-test-data-pennsylvania-georgia-texas/611935/
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,946
    pjl44 said:
    Turns out the CDC and several states are combining viral and antibody tests when reporting results. Good times.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/05/cdc-and-states-are-misreporting-covid-19-test-data-pennsylvania-georgia-texas/611935/
    I just read this and was about to post the article. What an inept government we have. 
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 38,214
    Why is anyone surprised that the books are being cooked? It comes directly from Team Trump Treason. He's been doing it his entire life and this is how he and his family think:

"I only defrauded them a little bit and paid a one million dollar fine. It could have been a ten million dollar fine or a one hundred million dollar fine. But it wasn't so its been a great success."

Or

"I declared bankruptcy when I couldn't pay back the three hundred million dollar loan but I could have declared bankruptcy when I owed six hundred million dollars but I didn't so again, its been a great success."

Or

"I applied for loans and listed billions in assets but when I declared my taxes, I actually declared billions in losses and undervalued my holdings by hundreds of millions. Of course that's success and its the best, most beautiful success ever, in the history of human kind."
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 Posts: 10,739
    Thanks for the replies.  I contacted the Ministry of Labour and lodged a complaint.  Companies are legislated to notify their employees ASAP.

In my case an entire weekend went by and I worked several shifts and only found out through the grape vine.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Why is anyone surprised that the books are being cooked? It comes directly from Team Trump Treason. He's been doing it his entire life and this is how he and his family think:

"I only defrauded them a little bit and paid a one million dollar fine. It could have been a ten million dollar fine or a one hundred million dollar fine. But it wasn't so its been a great success."

Or

"I declared bankruptcy when I couldn't pay back the three hundred million dollar loan but I could have declared bankruptcy when I owed six hundred million dollars but I didn't so again, its been a great success."

Or

"I applied for loans and listed billions in assets but when I declared my taxes, I actually declared billions in losses and undervalued my holdings by hundreds of millions. Of course that's success and its the best, most beautiful success ever, in the history of human kind."
    It's not some conspiracy. States with Democrat Governors have been making the same mistake (PA, VA, ME).
    pjl44 said:

Or

Or

It's not some conspiracy. States with Democrat Governors have been making the same mistake (PA, VA, ME).
    Its also not completely transparent or above board, either. Give it a few more weeks in those states that rushed to re-open. Not one of them followed the CDC guidelines for re-opening. But yea, deaths and cases are going down. Maybe those dem governors are following the lead of Team Trump Treason and his failed, corrupt administration while being intimidated by their riled up, gun toting voters?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Brilliantati©
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,416
    so in my County in Pa. more people over the age of 100 than those under the age of 45 have died from this virus.  Our governor wants to keep businesses closed until we get 50 or less cases per 100k residents for 2 weeks straight. Our county is loaded with nursing homes and a high percentage of the cases are in nursing homes.   sorry but keeping all these small businesses still closed when most of the cases are in nursing homes is insane. 
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,655
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    https://www.axios.com/coronavirus-trump-china-travel-ban-45a2da12-8063-4ad9-ba28-61cdeb1ce0b3.html

40,000 people entered the US from China AFTER Team Trump Treason's China travel ban. After February 2nd, when he announced it and more than likely knew or should have known about the virus as early as late November/December. "It'll soon be zero." "Its like the flu." "Like a miracle, it'll be gone by April."

Brilliantati©

Exactly!  It's amazing how many people seem to be thinking, "Oh goodie, we're back to normal!"  Sure, we all wish that, but really?  No, no way.

• dankinddankind Posts: 20,833
    Yeah, pretty much the day our stay-at-home order was lifted, we had parents texting us to see if our kids could get together and play. 

Um, no thank you. Sorry you have to keep being a parent. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,424
    dankind said:
    Yeah, pretty much the day our stay-at-home order was lifted, we had parents texting us to see if our kids could get together and play. 

Um, no thank you. Sorry you have to keep being a parent. 
    So where you live they are allowing your kids to play with other kids and you are saying no? 
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,518
    tbergs said:
    pjl44 said:
    Jason P said:
    pjl44 said:
    Jason P said:

fubar.

.Unfortunately telling the supervisor could lead to them telling 2 others and those 2 others and so forth.
This discussion has been closed.