The coronavirus

Comments

• SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 6,409

• PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,424
    tish said:

It is crazy to see a province like NS so high compared to us in NB. I know they have a denser population in Halifax but still almost 10 times more cases with only 200,000 more people. Also its wild that QC is almost doubling ON and AB is almost tripling BC with a smaller population. 
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,653
    PJNB said:
    tish said:

It is crazy to see a province like NS so high compared to us in NB. I know they have a denser population in Halifax but still almost 10 times more cases with only 200,000 more people. Also its wild that QC is almost doubling ON and AB is almost tripling BC with a smaller population. 
    makes me wonder about volume at respective checkpoints. travel restrictions in place but not for trucks.....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,592
    I've been thinking about mental health and how it relates to the pandemic.  I hate to sound neurotic saying this, and I know it's not just about me and I know others are probably having a hard time, but to be honest, I'm kind of floundering.  I became acutely aware of this earlier today when I mentioned to my wife something about my anxiety level being up today.  Then somehow the subject of depression came up and I told her I had more depression than anxiety.  She was very surprised when I said that and said,  "Really?!"   Our talk led me to realize that as much as I'm very transparent when it comes to anxiety,  I must be, on the other hand, very good at covering up depression.  She had no idea I'm dealing with depression despite that it is at a very high level.  I think a lot about how it would be OK to depart, how much easier that would be than carrying on.  And then it gets more tangled because I know I can't end my life, that I have to keep going no matter what! That's a better choice of course, but a damn hard one much of the time.  I wouldn't tell her this though.  That would be unfair.  She is so much better than I am. I would not do that to her.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 40,015
    I don't know why this isn't reported on more.  I had no idea the foodbanks were this strapped and people were this much in need.
    https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2020/05/15/elmhurst-food-pantry-line/
  • SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 6,409
    ^^ I hope you consider and find someone you can talk to about your feelings, Brian.

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 Posts: 10,739
    My workplace is considered essential... last week someone tested positive for covid 19.  We were not notified by management and just found out Tuesday this week...

I found out through the grapevine...not management.  My supervisor confirmed the rumour when I asked.  

Is that responsible behaviour by management?  About 800 people work there.  

Give Peas A Chance…
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Posts: 10,660
    My workplace is considered essential... last week someone tested positive for covid 19.  We were not notified by management and just found out Tuesday this week...

I found out through the grapevine...not management.  My supervisor confirmed the rumour when I asked.  

It is extraordinarily irresponsible. But if you work for a for-profit entity then it comes as no surprise. 
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 40,015

All this is are lawsuits waiting to happen...

People don't want to work because of things like this and boss' don't want to tell employees anything.
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,114
    brianlux said:
    I've been thinking about mental health and how it relates to the pandemic.  I hate to sound neurotic saying this, and I know it's not just about me and I know others are probably having a hard time, but to be honest, I'm kind of floundering.  I became acutely aware of this earlier today when I mentioned to my wife something about my anxiety level being up today.  Then somehow the subject of depression came up and I told her I had more depression than anxiety.  She was very surprised when I said that and said,  "Really?!"   Our talk led me to realize that as much as I'm very transparent when it comes to anxiety,  I must be, on the other hand, very good at covering up depression.  She had no idea I'm dealing with depression despite that it is at a very high level.  I think a lot about how it would be OK to depart, how much easier that would be than carrying on.  And then it gets more tangled because I know I can't end my life, that I have to keep going no matter what! That's a better choice of course, but a damn hard one much of the time.  I wouldn't tell her this though.  That would be unfair.  She is so much better than I am. I would not do that to her.
    Hang in there, Brian. Do you think it would help to speak with someone? I imagine the hotlines are great resources - have an anonymous talk without worrying about impacting a loved one.
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 8,289

Same thing happened to my wife. I told her not to go back that day. It was 3/30. When she told the HR guy he said “oh grow up, we probably all have it anyway”. Changed his tune after I contacted him. I’m sure things like this are happening way more than we know. It’s disgusting. 

Are there any government guidelines on this? Country, province, etc.? I just checked our state's reopening guidance for businesses and it doesn't touch on this at all.

This seems really irresponsible to me. I could understand a business day to figure out messaging and how to proceed going forward, but people need to know. Having employees find out via rumor is bad.
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,135

That’s absurd! Good luck 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • KatKat Posts: 4,831
    brianlux said:
    Did you happen to see the press conference given by Governor Cuomo where he spoke about asking people, "How are you?" and how we have standard answers that don't speak to what's really going on inside? He spoke about asking people, "How are you, REALLY?" If someone says that to another, it could help. This is not normal and it's definitely not easy. We have to dig deep inside on some days to find the strength to get through it. You are fortunate to have your wife to help. Have you also asked her, how are you really? And finally, along with the big hugs I'm sending, it really helps to help someone else...it can unburden and lighten our thoughts. Here's that big hug. :hug::)
    Falling down,...not staying down
    tish said:
    ^^ I hope you consider and find someone you can talk to about your feelings, Brian.

Thanks for kind thoughts, Tish.  I'm kind of reticent that way, and feel like it's weak for me to succumb to depression, especially having studied and working in counseling in the past.  But I do keep a journal which helps.
    pjl44 said:
    brianlux said:
    Hang in there, Brian. Do you think it would help to speak with someone? I imagine the hotlines are great resources - have an anonymous talk without worrying about impacting a loved one.
    Thank you for kind words, pjl.  See above.
    Kat said:
    brianlux said:
    Did you happen to see the press conference given by Governor Cuomo where he spoke about asking people, "How are you?" and how we have standard answers that don't speak to what's really going on inside? He spoke about asking people, "How are you, REALLY?" If someone says that to another, it could help. This is not normal and it's definitely not easy. We have to dig deep inside on some days to find the strength to get through it. You are fortunate to have your wife to help. Have you also asked her, how are you really? And finally, along with the big hugs I'm sending, it really helps to help someone else...it can unburden and lighten our thoughts. Here's that big hug. :hug::)
    Cuomo has been great!  NY is fortunate to hav such a good, caring governor.  I feel the same way about our governor Newsom.

Yes, KAT, I am very fortunate to have my wife.  She is amazing, strong, and very patient with her thick headed husband.  Yes, I often check in with her on her feelings on things.  She is tough as nails about difficult situations, but her daughter is in Alaska and she can't go visit her now or in the near future, so that is one area where she gets emotional.  I give her empathy about that regularly. 

Thanks for big virtual hugs.  Much appreciated.  :smile:   :hug: 's back.

And best wishes to you all, my good PJ friends.  I truly hope you're all doing as well as possible and hanging in there.

:hug: to all!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• FiveBelowFiveBelow Posts: 1,268
    brianlux said:
    Take a few minutes a couple times a day to think about and seek out the little things that make you feel good. While my son was running through our neighborhood park the other day, I lied down on the grass and stared up at the sky for 5-10 minutes, it was the most relaxed I have been since all of this started and reinforced for me how out of touch we can become. I am struggling to find the positive in the situation we are in, but we have watched bees pollinate our flowers, let ladybugs crawl on us until they are ready to fly away, actually enjoyed the amazing sunsets we receive in this part of the country, and sat and watched thunderstorms in the distance. These are all things that in normal times I take for granted, but now realize how much of a calming effect they have on me. You are not alone, hope you have a great day.

brianlux said:
    tish said:

Thanks for kind thoughts, Tish.  I'm kind of reticent that way, and feel like it's weak for me to succumb to depression, especially having studied and working in counseling in the past.  But I do keep a journal which helps.
    pjl44 said:
    brianlux said:
    Kat said:
    brianlux said:
    Cuomo has been great!  NY is fortunate to hav such a good, caring governor.  I feel the same way about our governor Newsom.

Yes, KAT, I am very fortunate to have my wife.  She is amazing, strong, and very patient with her thick headed husband.  Yes, I often check in with her on her feelings on things.  She is tough as nails about difficult situations, but her daughter is in Alaska and she can't go visit her now or in the near future, so that is one area where she gets emotional.  I give her empathy about that regularly. 

And best wishes to you all, my good PJ friends.  I truly hope you're all doing as well as possible and hanging in there.

Cool, cool. You know you best and I'm sure having that background helps with coping. These are challenging times for sure.
    I'm going to guess that the contract went to a "major gop donor"

Trump administration paid huge premium for ineffective mask-cleaning machines https://news.yahoo.com/white-house-paid-huge-premium-154700476.html
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    I’m surprised the anxiety thread hasn’t had much activity. 

By the way, it’s not weak to succumb to depression, especially now. It’s just human. 

And there are resources, both external and inside, to help navigate all the shit. 

I just found out my 89-yr-old mom has been sending $100 periodically to the woman who cleans their home.

I guess my point is, help and hope are always there. 
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 Posts: 23,035
    brianlux said:
    tish said:

pjl44 said:
    brianlux said:
    Kat said:
    brianlux said:

hang in there Brian. 

you hide it well that you are struggling at times, as most of us have become pretty adept at doing.
    during this time i've personally been struggling with being alone more than anything else. that is why social media and sites like this have been helpful to pass the time and reach out to others in a similar boat.

just know that you aren't alone, and i am sure everybody's inboxes are open if you need to talk.

take care, my friend.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
    JW269453 said:
    brianlux said:
    Take a few minutes a couple times a day to think about and seek out the little things that make you feel good. While my son was running through our neighborhood park the other day, I lied down on the grass and stared up at the sky for 5-10 minutes, it was the most relaxed I have been since all of this started and reinforced for me how out of touch we can become. I am struggling to find the positive in the situation we are in, but we have watched bees pollinate our flowers, let ladybugs crawl on us until they are ready to fly away, actually enjoyed the amazing sunsets we receive in this part of the country, and sat and watched thunderstorms in the distance. These are all things that in normal times I take for granted, but now realize how much of a calming effect they have on me. You are not alone, hope you have a great day.

Connecting with nature is a great idea, JW.  You have a great day too!
    pjl44 said:
    brianlux said:
    tish said:

pjl44 said:
    brianlux said:
    Kat said:
    brianlux said:

Cool, cool. You know you best and I'm sure having that background helps with coping. These are challenging times for sure.

For sure!  Thanks, pjl

Unreal how self-centered that guy's attitude is.   Good job, Costco employee!

• pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,416
    brianlux said:
    I've never been one to suffer from anxiety or depression but this has given me bouts of both at times.  I can only imagine how it is affecting some who have suffered from these before this situation.  Beginning of this was really really hard for me. The anxiety of the possibility of people close to me getting really sick, missing out on some evens i look forward to each year,  and people being out of work was overwhelming to think about at times.  It's gotten better as I've been able to adjust to working from home all the time  and have been lucky enough to stay employed, busy and with full pay so far and also thankfully everyone I know so far has been spared any health issues related to it. One area I still see some affects has been sleep.  I never really had problems sleeping before. I was pretty good for 7+ hours a night mostly deep sleep but I find myself having much more restless sleep. lots of tossing and turning and waking up during the night. it's interesting to hear how others are being affected mentally by this.  
  • OnWis97OnWis97 Posts: 4,970
    brianlux said:
    Another true believer in action....

I enjoy the irony of people using "sheep" when they're taking all of their cues from Hannity, et al.

1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,317

Did they do proper contact tracing and you weren’t at risk?
    hippiemom = goodness
    brianlux said:

That Costco employee is the kind of employee places need. Great job. 
    hippiemom = goodness
    OnWis97 said:
    brianlux said:
    Another true believer in action....

I enjoy the irony of people using "sheep" when they're taking all of their cues from Hannity, et al.

So, just like trump his followers mostly project. They say if others what is actually true of themselves. 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    I don't know if an employer can just give out medical information of an employee to other employees without their consent.  I don't know if anyone with hepatitis want the boss to hit 'send all' company wide.  COVID is unique.  Seems like the proper human reaction would to inform other employees if someone tested with COVID.  But proper human reaction is ripe for getting sued to high heavens in court. 
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,314
    Jason P said:
    I don't know if an employer can just give out medical information of an employee to other employees without their consent.  I don't know if anyone with hepatitis want the boss to hit 'send all' company wide.  COVID is unique.  Seems like the proper human reaction would to inform other employees if someone tested with COVID.  But proper human reaction is ripe for getting sued to high heavens in court. 
    Yes,, there are HIPAA rules to contend with.  They are in contrast with public health interests.  
This discussion has been closed.