Options

The coronavirus

Comments

• Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,829
    SHZA said:
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    so in my County in Pa. more people over the age of 100 than those under the age of 45 have died from this virus.  Our governor wants to keep businesses closed until we get 50 or less cases per 100k residents for 2 weeks straight. Our county is loaded with nursing homes and a high percentage of the cases are in nursing homes.   sorry but keeping all these small businesses still closed when most of the cases are in nursing homes is insane. 
    Be careful, thoughts like this are blasphemous around these parts.  Thou shall not question Science!!! Thomas Dolby warned us about this 30 years ago....
    my issue with the current situation is i don't understand how we can allow every person to head to supermarkets and big box stores but can't have salons and barbershops and other small businesses open? makes no sense to me.
    Being in close proximity for the time it takes to get a haircut has a higher transmission risk than passing by someone for a few seconds in a large store.  

We're also kinda stuck when it comes to supermarkets.  My first few trips were absolutely depressing/frightening experiences. I did not want to be there. I suppose I could have ordered, but I don't think that service has the capacity to serve everyone. (Now, it's gotten better; there's always one person/couple I want to strangle, usually mask-less and talking to each other or on the phone while standing over the produce I want to buy.  But most people are doing OK).

I'm not really commenting on what specifics are right/wrong, but I understand the rationale. 100 people (barring the "open everything" crowd) will have 100 different formulas for what should be opened and to what extent.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,214
    SHZA said:
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    so in my County in Pa. more people over the age of 100 than those under the age of 45 have died from this virus.  Our governor wants to keep businesses closed until we get 50 or less cases per 100k residents for 2 weeks straight. Our county is loaded with nursing homes and a high percentage of the cases are in nursing homes.   sorry but keeping all these small businesses still closed when most of the cases are in nursing homes is insane. 
    Be careful, thoughts like this are blasphemous around these parts.  Thou shall not question Science!!! Thomas Dolby warned us about this 30 years ago....
    my issue with the current situation is i don't understand how we can allow every person to head to supermarkets and big box stores but can't have salons and barbershops and other small businesses open? makes no sense to me.
    Being in close proximity for the time it takes to get a haircut has a higher transmission risk than passing by someone for a few seconds in a large store.  
    except your are not passing 'someone' in a large store. you are passing around 50 to 100 not to mention all the workers who are there on a daily basis. and i wasn't only referring to salons and barbers. lots of other small businesses not open yet.   
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,760
    We have a pretty smart and sensible crowd here- I really can't imagine many of us are not conscientious about this pandemic.  Sadly though,  there are those out there who treat it like a hoax or political strategy, so caution among strangers can't be over emphasized.  Stay safe and well, everyone. 

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    pjhawks said:
    SHZA said:
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    except your are not passing 'someone' in a large store. you are passing around 50 to 100 not to mention all the workers who are there on a daily basis. and i wasn't only referring to salons and barbers. lots of other small businesses not open yet.   
    I've been thinking about which one presents more risk.  Walking through a jam packed grocery/ big box store with hundreds of people breathing and potentially coughing/sneezing or the one-on-one close contact of a haircut.  I know prolonged exposure in closed air environments increases risk, but grocery/ big box stores are also closed air with far more people.  I don't know that there's any more risk with getting a haircut, provided both people wear masks. 

• Options
    bbiggs said:
    pjhawks said:
    SHZA said:
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    I've been thinking about which one presents more risk.  Walking through a jam packed grocery/ big box store with hundreds of people breathing and potentially coughing/sneezing or the one-on-one close contact of a haircut.  I know prolonged exposure in closed air environments increases risk, but grocery/ big box stores are also closed air with far more people.  I don't know that there's any more risk with getting a haircut, provided both people wear masks. 

We are very fortunate to have a grocery store (Raley's) that has what the call "e-cart".  We go on line, place our order, and select and day and time to pick up.  When the time comes, we go to a designated e-cart pickup area in the parking lot and call the e-cart number to let them know we are there.  They come out and load the groceries into the trunk.  All done for a nominal fee.   Other than our safe little co-op where we get some of our natural food and organic produce, I haven't been in a large grocery store since early March.  I hope others here have that option in their home town.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,153
    edited May 2020
    bbiggs said:
    CDC now reports 35% of Covid-19 cases are asymptomatic and .4% of those who show signs of being sick will die.  The deaths from this disease are horrific, but .4% is a number that is far below what was being estimated just a short while ago (5 - 10 times less deadly).  That said, this is the same CDC that has been mixing viral test results with antibody test results, so interpret this estimate how you wish.

Certain segments of the world population have been releasing studies that the actual case fatality rate (CFR) is less than half a percent, with the Streeck study being most infamous. That study was in March so this “short while ago” has actually been ongoing since the US has been reporting deaths.

Six weeks ago, the US actual CFR was 4.8% and a certain political community told us not to worry because testing capacity is limited to “only those being sick” and the real rate is well under 1% and similar to the common flu bug.

Six weeks later, any guess the actual CFR today? 

5.9%

as testing capacity went up and potentially included more than just the very ill, the actual death rate went up.

If that is truly the CDCs position, they are playing a deadly game of chance. Yesterday was one of the worst days for US deaths and new cases outside NY and it’s almost June. 
  • Options
    SHZASHZA St. Louis, MO USA Posts: 3,250
    pjhawks said:
    SHZA said:
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    I could be 1,000 people in the store. Unless someone sneezes in your face, those are low-risk encounters compared to being in close proximity for an extended period with just one other person. 
  • Options
    bbiggs said:
    CDC now reports 35% of Covid-19 cases are asymptomatic and .4% of those who show signs of being sick will die.  The deaths from this disease are horrific, but .4% is a number that is far below what was being estimated just a short while ago (5 - 10 times less deadly).  That said, this is the same CDC that has been mixing viral test results with antibody test results, so interpret this estimate how you wish.

Certain segments of the world population have been releasing studies that the actual case fatality rate (CFR) is less than half a percent, with the Streeck study being most infamous. That study was in March so this “short while ago” has actually been ongoing since the US has been reporting deaths.

Six weeks ago, the US actual CFR was 4.8% and a certain political community told us not to worry because testing capacity is limited to “only those being sick” and the real rate is well under 1% and similar to the common flu bug.

5.9%

as testing capacity went up and potentially included more than just the very ill, the actual death rate went up.

If that is truly the CDCs position, they are playing a deadly game of chance. Yesterday was one of the worst days for US deaths and new cases outside NY and it’s almost June. 

Just going off the CDC data.  I posted the link for reference.  Not saying it is right or wrong as I think most data being reported is skewed, but not just by the CDC.  I take all data with a large grain of salt.
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    bbiggs said:
    pjhawks said:
    SHZA said:
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:

We are very fortunate to have a grocery store (Raley's) that has what the call "e-cart".  We go on line, place our order, and select and day and time to pick up.  When the time comes, we go to a designated e-cart pickup area in the parking lot and call the e-cart number to let them know we are there.  They come out and load the groceries into the trunk.  All done for a nominal fee.   Other than our safe little co-op where we get some of our natural food and organic produce, I haven't been in a large grocery store since early March.  I hope others here have that option in their home town.
    This is great.  Walmart is even offering this service and we have used it numerous times for certain grocery needs.  The less in store visits, the better, but we are going in when needed.

• Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    I hope everyone is doing well. Have a good weekend, all.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,411
    bbiggs said:
    My wife is a small business owner (hair stylist) and will be back up and running June 1.  The owner of the building has put all necessary precautionary measures in place with the stylists, who all operate their own business in their own salon suite space.  Stylists and customers must wear masks 100% of the time.  Disinfect chair, sink, equipment, etc. in between every customer.  Only one person at a time in each suite.  You obviously cannot be 6 feet apart, but with both parties wearing masks, it reduces the potential for transmission significantly.  There's some level of risk, but hopefully things go well with the proper precautions being taken.
    I’m happy that she is able to reopen and it sounds like the proper precautions are in place.  I hope everything goes well and that everyone stays safe and healthy and that her business thrives. 
  • Options
    bbiggs said:
    My wife is a small business owner (hair stylist) and will be back up and running June 1.  The owner of the building has put all necessary precautionary measures in place with the stylists, who all operate their own business in their own salon suite space.  Stylists and customers must wear masks 100% of the time.  Disinfect chair, sink, equipment, etc. in between every customer.  Only one person at a time in each suite.  You obviously cannot be 6 feet apart, but with both parties wearing masks, it reduces the potential for transmission significantly.  There's some level of risk, but hopefully things go well with the proper precautions being taken.
    I’m happy that she is able to reopen and it sounds like the proper precautions are in place.  I hope everything goes well and that everyone stays safe and healthy and that her business thrives. 
    Thank you. I hope so too. Health is priority #1. 
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,659
    Just saw the Gump is declaring Houses of Worship as essential and demanding they be allowed to open.

Is Criss Angel essential, then?

What about Satanic Temples, would those be ok to open?

What a joke.  We deserve what we are getting (and will continue to get) for allowing this imbecile to become President here in the US.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Just saw the Gump is declaring Houses of Worship as essential and demanding they be allowed to open.

What a joke.  We deserve what we are getting (and will continue to get) for allowing this imbecile to become President here in the US.
    No biggie. Their magic sky daddy will protect them... Wait, isn't it their magic sky daddy who delivered this plague or at the very least allowed it? It's all very confusing.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,663
    jeffbr said:

No biggie. Their magic sky daddy will protect them... Wait, isn't it their magic sky daddy who delivered this plague or at the very least allowed it? It's all very confusing.
    94,563 sinners thus far with more to follow.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,678
    The leader of the free world doesn't know what 'per capita' means.  I wonder if his supporters do.  This is real and scary. https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings-statements/remarks-president-trump-meeting-governor-hutchinson-arkansas-governor-kelly-kansas/

THE PRESIDENT: But when you do 14 million tests, you’re going to find more cases. If instead of 14 million tests we did 3 million — like, Germany is at about 3 million; South Korea is at 3 million, and they’ve done a very good job. It’s not a knock, but we’re at almost 14 million. We’re going to be passing 14 million very soon.

So you’re going to have more tests. If we do 3 million, everyone would say, “Oh, we’re doing great,” you know, in terms of cases. We’re going to have more cases. If we did 3 million — maybe that’s what we should’ve done. I said — if I would’ve done 3 million, they’d say, “Oh, they have very few cases. United States is doing well.”

We’re finding a lot of people. By doing testing, you’re finding people. So we’re doing 14, Germany is doing 3, South Korea doing 3, and I think they’re number two and three. So we’re way ahead of everybody. But when you do that, you have more cases. So a lot of times, the fake news media will say, “You know, there are a lot of cases in the United States.” Well, if we didn’t do testing at a level that nobody has ever dreamt possible, you wouldn’t have very many cases

Q How does our testing compare per capita —

THE PRESIDENT: Sure.

Q — to those nations?

THE PRESIDENT: And, you know, when you say “per capita,” there’s many per capitas. It’s, like, per capita relative to what? But you can look at just about any category, and we’re really at the top, meaning positive on a per capita basis, too. They’ve done a great job.

• Options
    This is some people's idea of "freedom"?  What fools would run an operation like this?  And who want want to shop in such a place?

No masks allowed: stores turn customers away in US culture war

Shops around the US make headlines for denying entry to those wearing masks as protesters argue against preventative measures in the name of freedom

• Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    brianlux said:
    This is some people's idea of "freedom"?  What fools would run an operation like this?  And who want want to shop in such a place?

Shops around the US make headlines for denying entry to those wearing masks as protesters argue against preventative measures in the name of freedom

We’re doomed
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,663
    mrussel1 said:
    The leader of the free world doesn't know what 'per capita' means.  I wonder if his supporters do.  This is real and scary. https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings-statements/remarks-president-trump-meeting-governor-hutchinson-arkansas-governor-kelly-kansas/

THE PRESIDENT: But when you do 14 million tests, you’re going to find more cases. If instead of 14 million tests we did 3 million — like, Germany is at about 3 million; South Korea is at 3 million, and they’ve done a very good job. It’s not a knock, but we’re at almost 14 million. We’re going to be passing 14 million very soon.

So you’re going to have more tests. If we do 3 million, everyone would say, “Oh, we’re doing great,” you know, in terms of cases. We’re going to have more cases. If we did 3 million — maybe that’s what we should’ve done. I said — if I would’ve done 3 million, they’d say, “Oh, they have very few cases. United States is doing well.”

We’re finding a lot of people. By doing testing, you’re finding people. So we’re doing 14, Germany is doing 3, South Korea doing 3, and I think they’re number two and three. So we’re way ahead of everybody. But when you do that, you have more cases. So a lot of times, the fake news media will say, “You know, there are a lot of cases in the United States.” Well, if we didn’t do testing at a level that nobody has ever dreamt possible, you wouldn’t have very many cases

Q How does our testing compare per capita —

THE PRESIDENT: Sure.

Q — to those nations?

THE PRESIDENT: And, you know, when you say “per capita,” there’s many per capitas. It’s, like, per capita relative to what? But you can look at just about any category, and we’re really at the top, meaning positive on a per capita basis, too. They’ve done a great job.

And people believe Team Trump Treason got into and graduated from UPenn’s School of Business based upon being a very stable genius.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    static111 said:
    brianlux said:

We’re doomed

It's bad.

Here's more stupid in America:

Coronavirus US live: Trump demands churches, synagogues and mosques reopen 'right now'

• Options
    brianlux said:
    static111 said:
    brianlux said:

We’re doomed

It's bad.

Coronavirus US live: Trump demands churches, synagogues and mosques reopen 'right now'

I’m not against this if social distancing is put in place.  Let them take the risk. As long as they don’t pack the pews.  My friends and family are taking enough precautions that we would likely not be affected by the risk taking Nazarenes.
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,153
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:

5.9%

Just going off the CDC data.  I posted the link for reference.  Not saying it is right or wrong as I think most data being reported is skewed, but not just by the CDC.  I take all data with a large grain of salt.

I hear ya. I’m getting nervous trump has taken control of the CDC. First their originally detailed 70 page book on how to reopen by business type was cut down to a few pages, then they told us wiping packages with sanitizers was a waste of time and now they tell us there is a magically low CFR, as low as the flu.

All this could be true, but the problem is we don’t know for sure, especially the CFR rate. Having the CDC move over to team trump in a pandemic buy legitimizing political guesswork  does not provide much comfort
  • Options
    static111 said:
    brianlux said:
    static111 said:
    brianlux said:

We’re doomed

It's bad.

I’m not against this if social distancing is put in place.  Let them take the risk. As long as they don’t pack the pews.  My friends and family are taking enough precautions that we would likely not be affected by the risk taking Nazarenes.

Sadly, too many won't.   A lot of the reports I've read give me the impression that many of these people are also non-COVID believers.  God help them (maybe).

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,659
    Yes, the CDC has been taken over by monetary concerns, just like the FDA has been driven by dollars forever.

The human condition.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,315
    bbiggs said:
    Good news I hope all goes well 👍
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    https://apple.news/AGBUcMGnHRuqgE_1l-Y8apA
    Man terrible decision by this person..
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/joshuapotash/status/1263957793293336579?s=21
    Then there’s this creep vile human it’s not the Baffoon but close 

• Options

Sometimes I wonder why I live in Texas....
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,829
    edited May 2020
    Watching Facebook discussion of masks this morning... I am legit surprised there’s no anti-hand washing movement (to own the libs).
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,520
    static111 said:

Sometimes I wonder why I live in Texas....

a sh!thole state
This discussion has been closed.