The coronavirus

Comments

• tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 40,005
    Just looked it up - the “staying at home” people were not “quarantined” at home. These are the people who were not going out to work, but were otherwise doing what was allowed under the lockdown rules - ie getting groceries, getting takeout, etc. And who knows how careful they really were with their social isolating?
    I mixed up stay at home and quarantined.

It is still crazy that this many people are still getting it.  I wonder how well they were practicing their distancing too?

Still doesn't make me feel any better about what is happening here in NY.  We seem to be a pitri dish.
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Posts: 12,844
    Just looked it up - the “staying at home” people were not “quarantined” at home. These are the people who were not going out to work, but were otherwise doing what was allowed under the lockdown rules - ie getting groceries, getting takeout, etc. And who knows how careful they really were with their social isolating?

It is still crazy that this many people are still getting it.  I wonder how well they were practicing their distancing too?

Still doesn't make me feel any better about what is happening here in NY.  We seem to be a pitri dish.

Definitely there isn't a lot of good news about what's been happening in NY, and I wish you and everyone else on this forum who is from NY the very best of luck and positive vibes. 

Numbers are still way too high, but when you think about that 66% figure, bear in mind that it's mostly an artifact of the population at risk. From what I read, 66% were people not considered essential workers, and 18% were people from long term care facilities. There were always going to be far more "non-essential" people getting sick compared to "essential", simply because the majority of people are not considered essential workers. If the population was divided 50/50 and there was a higher percentage of the non-essential/stay at home people getting sick then it really would be a head-scratcher, but that's not the case. It's a numbers game in a densely populated area. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,388

Hey don't forget about New Jersey!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • dankinddankind Posts: 20,833
    edited May 2020
    mcgruff10 said:

Hey don't forget about New Jersey!
    But forgetting New Jersey is what New Yorkers do. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,114
    There really seem to be a lot of signs pointing to outdoor stuff with precautions being relatively safe
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,312
    pjl44 said:
    There really seem to be a lot of signs pointing to outdoor stuff with precautions being relatively safe
    Wind alone would dissipate the virus.  However there have been plenty of cases in South America.  By contrast SE Asia and Australia seem ok.  
    It is crazy to think that VE Day is 75 years ago today which is also the last time this country sacrificed for the common good. It is sad to think that we can't even put our political differences aside in order to come together against a virus that has killed over 70,000 Americans.
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,946
    mcgruff10 said:
    It is crazy to think that VE Day is 75 years ago today which is also the last time this country sacrificed for the common good. It is sad to think that we can't even put our political differences aside in order to come together against a virus that has killed over 70,000 Americans.
    +1.  Par for the course though. 
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    Wind alone would dissipate the virus.  However there have been plenty of cases in South America.  By contrast SE Asia and Australia seem ok.  
    Depends on other variables, I guess. You could still have a lot of indoor spread, for example. And despite being outdoors, I don't think we'll be piling into ballparks or music festivals.
    mcgruff10 said:
    Good call.. VE Day.  Totally missed it.  Thanks for reminding me.  
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,405
    mcgruff10 said:
    It is very sad.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,589
    mcgruff10 said:

Well said, McG, very well said!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,416
    mcgruff10 said:
    9/11 we came together.  not sure how much we had to sacrifice.  as bad as Bush may have been at least he was a leader during the crisis. right now we have no national leadership.
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,063

Sweden has high death rates in corona compared to other Nordic countries. But in a year, Norway, Denmark and Finland will catch up. It claims former state epidemiologist Johan Giesecke.

Infection protection expert and WHO advisor Johan Giesecke thinks we should wait for a year to compare the death toll between different countries, he says in an interview with Dagens Nyheter.
    He tells the magazine that he was recently in contact with state epidemiologist Mika Salminen in Finland, who has so far managed to keep the covid-19 death toll at a very low level. But it also means that few Finns have had the infection.

- They have a large proportion of the population that will be susceptible to the disease in the fall. And he is really worried about what happens then, when you start to ease the limitations. That is when people will die. They will catch up with us, this also applies to Denmark and Norway, says Giesecke.

He is a big defender of the Swedish strategy and tells DN that we have the best conditions of all countries. He compares to the island nation of New Zealand, which aims to eliminate the virus. Giesecke wonders what the authorities should do when the virus is no longer in the country.

- This means that everyone traveling to New Zealand must quarantine for 14 days. If there is no good vaccine, we talk about decades before it can be changed, he notes.

According to Johan Giesecke, all people will get the disease covid-19, sooner or later.

- It can't be slowed down and will kill about as many people per capita and country, he tells DN.

Giesecke is convinced that the countries that shut down their communities altogether will instead receive a large number of deaths in the fall, winter and next year. He describes the virus as "a natural disaster".
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    pjhawks said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    9/11 we came together.  not sure how much we had to sacrifice.  as bad as Bush may have been at least he was a leader during the crisis. right now we have no national leadership.
    We stood together until the invasion of Iraq.  Agree that we have zero national leadership.

• PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,424
    This is a post about business's alone and in no way am I taking this virus lightly. 

I live in a province that is considered the safest place in North America to live with regards to the virus. Today was a big day for my wife and the province as a whole. We are entering phase 2 of opening things back up. Her physiotherapy business is allowed to reopen after being closed down since Mar 12th. Tens of thousands of dollars gone forever. She has spent the last 10 years building a profitable business and something like this comes in and takes it all away in a blink of an eye. Also the measures that are being put in place for her to open are strict enough that only the ones in dire need of treatment are likely to make the effort. 

That said we are fortunate to be opening back up and I really do feel for the small business's out there that have no end in sight for them being closed. If and when there is another wave in the fall I doubt her business survives will survive. 
    PJNB said:
    This is a post about business's alone and in no way am I taking this virus lightly. 

I live in a province that is considered the safest place in North America to live with regards to the virus. Today was a big day for my wife and the province as a whole. We are entering phase 2 of opening things back up. Her physiotherapy business is allowed to reopen after being closed down since Mar 12th. Tens of thousands of dollars gone forever. She has spent the last 10 years building a profitable business and something like this comes in and takes it all away in a blink of an eye. Also the measures that are being put in place for her to open are strict enough that only the ones in dire need of treatment are likely to make the effort. 

That said we are fortunate to be opening back up and I really do feel for the small business's out there that have no end in sight for them being closed. If and when there is another wave in the fall I doubt her business survives will survive. 
    Did the Canadian parliament/gov't do anything to help businesses?  IN the US we have the PPP and now the Fed funds program.  
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,424
    edited May 2020
    mrussel1 said:
    PJNB said:

Did the Canadian parliament/gov't do anything to help businesses?  IN the US we have the PPP and now the Fed funds program.  
    Yes they did but some she qualified for and others she did not.  Interest free loans and 75% of her wage is paid. They opted out of deferring their mortgage but if this went any longer they would have been in the negative and would have had to take advantage of that. Also they rent rooms out to other services like massage and had to eat 25% of that normal income. It is crazy how things add up so quickly when you have no money coming in. It is her business and I am out of the loop on all that goes on with this stuff to be honest though. One look at the bank account though tells a sad story. I know they will bounce back and hope those that have small business's here can do the same. 
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,063
    edited May 2020

Norway agrees Sweden being correct in not closing schools

On March 12, Norway closed down large parts of everyday life. One of the biggest political decisions was to close schools and preschools - but Prime Minister Erna Solberg announced it was necessary. The only exception was for children with special needs and children for parents with community-based work.

Now, the Norwegian Public Health Authority, the Public Health Institute, thinks that the school closure probably had no major effect in reducing the spread of infection. A report released May 5 on the situation in the country states that it is assumed that the closure of preschools and schools in grades 1-4 had rather a small effect on the spread of infection.

- We have tried to study this broadly and found very little knowledge that says it has a big effect. It has also been seen in other countries, which have not closed schools, that things have gone well. We have also learned that the role of children in the spread of infection is very small in relation to the adults, says the infection protection expert Frode Forland.

When it comes to grades 5-10 you are even suspected of having a small to negative effect. This is when reports from municipalities have seen that children continue to spend time in groups at home rather than in schools and in families across generational boundaries.

/.../

After 39 days, Prime Minister Erna Solberg announced that the spread of infection was under control and that schools could be slowly reopened. Frode Forland points out that it was a political decision to close the schools.

- Closing schools was a decision taken by the government that we did not initially recommend. The Public Health Institute suggested other things that are more effective, but closing schools and preschools was not on our list.

According to reports to the Norwegian newspaper Dagbladet, even the authority's chief Camilla Stoltenberg warned Prime Minister Erna Solberg how the closure would affect the spread of infection. In an email to the magazine, Stoltenberg later wrote that she did not "warn" - but that the authority was worried about what the consequences might be.

Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    Is it really necessary to do that “redeemed” thing ad nauseum instead of letting what you post stand on its own?  Kinda tough on the eyes. 
    hedonist said:
    Is it really necessary to do that “redeemed” thing ad nauseum instead of letting what you post stand on its own?  Kinda tough on the eyes. 
    This + cut the text by about 75%.

One man's opinion: If you find a good article, don't paste the whole thing into a comment. Sum up what you think the point is and/or clip a key paragraph with a link below it. If the taste is interesting enough, I'll check out more. I just breeze past a wall of text.
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,405
    pjl44 said:
    hedonist said:
    This + cut the text by about 75%.

One man's opinion: If you find a good article, don't paste the whole thing into a comment. Sum up what you think the point is and/or clip a key paragraph with a link below it. If the taste is interesting enough, I'll check out more. I just breeze past a wall of text.
    Yup. It's a bit much, in my opinion.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,589
    hedonist said:

Thank you! 

I didn't want to say anything but it really is obnoxious.  "When I see it comin' I just wanna run away! "  :lol: 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• OnWis97OnWis97 Posts: 4,970
    I get that Pearl Jam has an international fan base and that the virus is not simply a North American issue...but man this thread gets Swede-jacked.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,331

• bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,946
    I called the local butcher shop to see if I could place an order online and if they offered curbside pickup options.  He basically said I would need to come in to get what I want like everyone else unless I was elderly or had an underlying condition that prevented me from doing so.  He was real rude, so I called another one out of principle and got the same response, except in a polite way, so I'll shop there instead.  I have no problem going in to grab something when needed, but if stores are offering curbside, I'll go that route.  I understand it's less convenient for them, but these guys responded as if I was asking a completely obnoxious question.  Man. 
    We ordered pizza tonight.  Pulled into a numbered spot, called and told them what spot we were in.  They came out and put it in the back seat.  Zero interaction. 
    Ordereed Jersey Mike’s two weeks ago and they put our order on a table outside.   Again zero interaction. 
    OnWis97 said:
    I get that Pearl Jam has an international fan base and that the virus is not simply a North American issue...but man this thread gets Swede-jacked.
    The thing is I'm pretty interested in how their approach is going and especially from someone who lives there. It's just soooooooo much to digest.
This discussion has been closed.