The coronavirus

Comments

• SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 6,409
    ^ Often, I have appreciated your BC updates! 

I will take my kid to the parks when they open and visit my massage therapist who has a home-based business when permissible in the next couple of weeks. Are you going to take advantage of our new freedoms May 14?
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    In the last week I've seen a lot of people starting to stress the importance of personal health and having a good immunity system.  From what I can decipher, if you are in good shape and a healthy weight you are so much better off right now.

I'll admit I could lose 15 pounds ... so in the face of this pandemic, I'd have to be kinda insane not to get myself into shape to the point that my doctor doesn't immediately frown when they enter the room (or from this point on, facetime my iphone).  
    ^ I watch Sex and the City and shows like that when I feel like I'm in shape so I can upward compare and strive harder! I am so grateful for the stationary bike I have and for taking up recreational cycling last month. I am looking forward to starting wake boarding and water skiing next week and then swimming in the lakes again soon!
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 40,005
    Does anybody think that this is going to hit all of us no matter what?
    edited May 2020
    Yes. But not ALL. You can hide out til we hit the 80-90 percentiles.
    POTUS put it nicely when he stated "wash over us".

Edit: Well I'm off to check out DMBs drive in tonight. https://www.davematthewsband.com/drivein/. I have tickets to the real drive in this Friday! G'nite all y'all.

Edit part 2: Found this nice pit stop on my first long cycle last night. Posting it for fitness motivation! Be safe, have fun!

Post edited by Spunkie on
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Posts: 12,844
    Does anybody think that this is going to hit all of us no matter what?
    Hit us, as in affect us in some way? Absolutely. 

Hit us, as in infect all of us? Probably not. Epidemiologically, that would be pretty rare, though eventually a good chunk of us will have been infected. Over 50% I’m pretty sure, maybe closer to 75%. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • jeffbrjeffbr Posts: 7,177
    There's an interesting chart on the CDC's site about the 1918-1919 pandemic from this page: https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/12/1/05-0979-f1

Looking at this chart, and thinking about where we are now in our current pandemic is sobering. I imagine we're on the downslope of the first little wave probably just before the 7/27 mark. So while we're in the process of having better looking numbers currently, if we aren't careful I could easily see much worse things ahead. I still think we're right at the beginning of this with no treatments, no vaccines, and now people feeling like it is time to get out and party. I'm a bit concerned about the fall season.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,331
    jeffbr said:
    There's an interesting chart on the CDC's site about the 1918-1919 pandemic from this page: https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/12/1/05-0979-f1

Looking at this chart, and thinking about where we are now in our current pandemic is sobering. I imagine we're on the downslope of the first little wave probably just before the 7/27 mark. So while we're in the process of having better looking numbers currently, if we aren't careful I could easily see much worse things ahead. I still think we're right at the beginning of this with no treatments, no vaccines, and now people feeling like it is time to get out and party. I'm a bit concerned about the fall season.
    Git your party on while you still can.
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,405
    edited May 2020
    mfc2006 said:
    Yup....back in the office on Monday. It looks like there will be ample distance between all employees, but it still makes me a tad nervous. Ugh.
    it can be done safely in many environments. Takes some planning and effort and of course compliance from employees (which is generally the hardest part).  
    They seem confident in their approach....but I guess I will see for myself on Monday. I have been far more productive at home & they know that....so that seems somewhat counterproductive. Oh well. I'm glad we were able to visit with my Mom, siblings & wife's parents in the last 10 days. (From a large distance, of course)

EDIT (adding on...):
    Definitely nervous about this, as is my wife. We've been very safe & cautious throughout this whole ordeal and now it feels like I'm pissing it away somehow. I'm not a worrier by nature, so this just feels odd to me in so many ways. They said that I could teleconference from my desk/work space at the office. It just seems ridiculous to me & feels like we are really jumping the gun. Ok...that's it for now. Ugh.
    Post edited by mfc2006 on
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,312
    mfc2006 said:
    mfc2006 said:
    Yup....back in the office on Monday. It looks like there will be ample distance between all employees, but it still makes me a tad nervous. Ugh.
    it can be done safely in many environments. Takes some planning and effort and of course compliance from employees (which is generally the hardest part).  
    They seem confident in their approach....but I guess I will see for myself on Monday. I have been far more productive at home & they know that....so that seems somewhat counterproductive. Oh well. I'm glad we were able to visit with my Mom, siblings & wife's parents in the last 10 days. (From a large distance, of course)

EDIT (adding on...):
    Definitely nervous about this, as is my wife. We've been very safe & cautious throughout this whole ordeal and now it feels like I'm pissing it away somehow. I'm not a worrier by nature, so this just feels odd to me in so many ways. They said that I could teleconference from my desk/work space at the office. It just seems ridiculous to me & feels like we are really jumping the gun. Ok...that's it for now. Ugh.
    Do you have non essential businesses opening as normal? 

My offices are in Virginia and Florida and we're in no hurry.  We definitely are not coming back before June 1, and probably June 15 at the earliest.  If a company is set up WFH and isn't customer facing,  it makes no sense to bring people back early.  There's no upside and plenty of down. 
    edited May 2020
    mrussel1 said:
    mfc2006 said:
    mfc2006 said:

EDIT (adding on...):

My offices are in Virginia and Florida and we're in no hurry.  We definitely are not coming back before June 1, and probably June 15 at the earliest.  If a company is set up WFH and isn't customer facing,  it makes no sense to bring people back early.  There's no upside and plenty of down. 
    It's a manufacturing business, but I am on the non-manufacturing side and there are about 15 of us in the office. 

I agree---all of us should be working from home if we can. It's absurd.

EDIT--just saw your initial question.

Yes, I live in MO, but work in KS. Both states have non-essential businesses opening up.
    Post edited by mfc2006 on
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    tish said:

I will take my kid to the parks when they open and visit my massage therapist who has a home-based business when permissible in the next couple of weeks. Are you going to take advantage of our new freedoms May 14?

If they don't reopen my climbing gym, I'm just going to sit home and sulk.

I mean, what could possibly go wrong with a sport that involves hundreds of people touching the exact same small parts of the wall that are impossible to clean?
    Might start to work out at a local playground, though, if those open. 
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 Posts: 10,739
    brianlux said:
    Ontario is starting to re-open Friday May 8th.   Bout’ time.  

Some careful "re-opening" is going to be necessary, but I wouldn't be to cavalier in speaking about an action that will likely lead to more deaths. 
    Brian, it will be a slow opening.  The first to open will be garden Centers and hardware stores. Retail business’s that don’t offer food will be able to offer curb-side pickup as long as they have a street side entrance.

Our premier in Ontario (conservative) has received high praise for the handling of the pandemic...

The premier is not doing anything without the approval of the chief medical officer of health.

Most of the deaths in Ontario are in long term care homes, over 80%.  Sadly.

you can only keep people lockdown so long...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    tish said:

If they don't reopen my climbing gym, I'm just going to sit home and sulk.

I mean, what could possibly go wrong with a sport that involves hundreds of people touching the exact same small parts of the wall that are impossible to clean?
    Shit, I sulk many days lately ;)

I’m just hoping my building’s gym reopens soon. It’s definitely doable in there.
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,589
    brianlux said:

Some careful "re-opening" is going to be necessary, but I wouldn't be to cavalier in speaking about an action that will likely lead to more deaths. 
    Brian, it will be a slow opening.  The first to open will be garden Centers and hardware stores. Retail business’s that don’t offer food will be able to offer curb-side pickup as long as they have a street side entrance.

Our premier in Ontario (conservative) has received high praise for the handling of the pandemic...

The premier is not doing anything without the approval of the chief medical officer of health.

Hard as it is to admit, in a lot of ways you're right.  It's just all so frustrating.  Will it be done wisely and with a scientific approach or will it be more a political or social pressure decision?  Or both?

I get frustrated because my old and wracked brain... some days I don't know- Did I remember to use hand sanitizer on the mail?  Did I remember to hand sanitize before opening the P.O. door?  Or do I do that after?  Can I eat this carrot?  Will I pick Covid from touching my shoes?   Is it true what my wife's other kid said about "If you're old and it gets in your lungs, they put you on a ventilator and keep you sedated and wait to see if you live or die because there is no cure"?   Will my beat-up immune system buckle under those deadly red cloved-apple like molecules if they get into me and cling to an internal organ?  Because things happened to fast?  Because people congregate thinking it's OK to now?  Because there are so many people, so much movement?

But, yeah, people gotta eat.  I don't have any answers.  I'm clueless and fucked up.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,316
    mfc2006 said:
    mfc2006 said:

EDIT (adding on...):
    Yes, I would totally agree with it.  Part of a truly safe plan is to keep those that can do their work from home at home.  Essential activities that MUST occur onsite somewhere can generally be done safely, but it is a lot of effort to get there.  
    hippiemom = goodness
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,316
    mfc2006 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mfc2006 said:
    mfc2006 said:

EDIT (adding on...):

It's a manufacturing business, but I am on the non-manufacturing side and there are about 15 of us in the office. 

Yes, I live in MO, but work in KS. Both states have non-essential businesses opening up.
    What's their plan once someone is a presumed positive or actually tests positive?  
    hippiemom = goodness
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain Posts: 31,054
    edited May 2020
    I feel like dumb ass companies who insist people come in when they can easily work remotely and accomplish the same work are adding to the problem, making it more difficult to allow safe passage for those who actually are needed onsite.
    Baffling.
    Be a safe as you can, folks, and good luck.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
    mfc2006 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mfc2006 said:
    mfc2006 said:

EDIT (adding on...):

What's their plan once someone is a presumed positive or actually tests positive?  
    I'm assuming they temporarily shut down. I know that they would ask the employee and anyone that has come into contact with him/her to self-quarantine for 14 days. They are taking temps and asking questions every day from what I've been told. We have about 40% of our manufacturing workforce that has been working in small shifts producing face shields. The office staff that is working there now has only been doing so for about 1-2 weeks and that consists of our executive level staff.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    I feel like dumb ass companies who insist people come in when they can easily work remotely and accomplish the same work are adding to the problem, making it more difficult to allow safe passage for those who actually are needed onsite.
    Baffling.
    Be a safe as you can, folks, and good luck.

I agree. I'm waiting for the official email from them and I am going to respond asking to remain at home. I simply feel that it is too risky even with the steps they've taken to make it safer. I feel much safer at home.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • wndowpaynewndowpayne Posts: 1,469
    edited May 2020
    Daytime TV is horrible...and I feel like a kid skipping school when I sit at home
    Post edited by wndowpayne on
    Charlottesville 2013
    Hampton 2016

• Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,412
    Daytime TV is horrible...and I feel like a kid skipping school when I sit at home
    It's ridiculous.  I used to watch Days of our Lives with my grandma occasionally, got kind of used to it and would watch it every now and then.

At least 20 years later I caught it a few weeks ago and the same fucking shit is going down.  Same villains, same couples....pathetic.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,135
    My table sits just two! I’m ok if I don’t socialize anymore I only want to hug & be with my family..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,424
    My table sits just two! I’m ok if I don’t socialize anymore I only want to hug & be with my family..
    Sounds great for you but what about the rest of us?
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,135
    PJNB said:
    what about the rest of you , even if we get back to normal I’m done socializing, no games no concerts no movies I’m ok with not having any of these as part of my life I’d rather sit by a river by a lake with no one around ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,424
    PJNB said:
    what about the rest of you , even if we get back to normal I’m done socializing, no games no concerts no movies I’m ok with not having any of these as part of my life I’d rather sit by a river by a lake with no one around ..
    Sorry to hear that. 
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 Posts: 10,739
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Hard as it is to admit, in a lot of ways you're right.  It's just all so frustrating.  Will it be done wisely and with a scientific approach or will it be more a political or social pressure decision?  Or both?

I get frustrated because my old and wracked brain... some days I don't know- Did I remember to use hand sanitizer on the mail?  Did I remember to hand sanitize before opening the P.O. door?  Or do I do that after?  Can I eat this carrot?  Will I pick Covid from touching my shoes?   Is it true what my wife's other kid said about "If you're old and it gets in your lungs, they put you on a ventilator and keep you sedated and wait to see if you live or die because there is no cure"?   Will my beat-up immune system buckle under those deadly red cloved-apple like molecules if they get into me and cling to an internal organ?  Because things happened to fast?  Because people congregate thinking it's OK to now?  Because there are so many people, so much movement?

But, yeah, people gotta eat.  I don't have any answers.  I'm clueless and fucked up.

Yes, the premier said all decision will be based on science and with the approval of the chief medical officer of healths approval.

I live my life as normal as possible.  I’m an introvert ... so I have been social distancing my entire life.  As a matter of fact I hope sociAl distancing becomes the norm.

i work in a cannabis facility employing 800 people...still up and running.  No social distancing there.

Give Peas A Chance…
  • dankinddankind Posts: 20,833
    PJNB said:
    PJNB said:
    Sorry to hear that. 
    I'll wave at you from the other side of the lake, fellow introvert.

Unfortunately, we have pretty nice weather today, so a bigger crowd of jackasses from New Hampshire have descended upon my seaside Massachusetts town to scream at an empty house.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    Readingrrl, I hope you get back to regular climbing workouts! Do you also do that outdoors this time of year? I am going to try to reschedule the dentist my Pipsqueak missed while our counts are down. 

Tempogroove boy: I'd use Often's stats. I pulled my guess outta my butt and this lady has some educated responses!

Jeff, smoke em if ya got em! Hell, I think I'll ditch the kid for the drive in tomorrow and get it on!

Jose, I love the peace and quiet of nature. Don't write off dancing with us all just yet!

Bri, I spent 300$ on children's novels in the last 100 days. Will look to your link in the fall and thank you! Oh, yeah... things are going along swimmingly , thanks for asking.

Hope you get your workouts in too, Hedo girlfriend. I was flexible and tried something new: cycling instead of alpine skiing. 

Have a hopeful day!

This discussion has been closed.