The coronavirus

Comments

• Mike D88Mike D88 Posts: 723
    edited May 2020
    The White House confirmed on Thursday that a member of the U.S. Navy who serves as one of President Trump's personal valets has tested positive for coronavirus, CNN reports.

A second member of Vice President Pence’s staff tested positive for the coronavirus Friday, a day after a valet to President Trump did the same.

TRUMP: “Katie, she tested very good for a long period of time, and then all of the sudden she tested positive ... this is why the whole concept of tests aren't necessarily great ... today, I guess, for some reason, she tested positive."

Couple issues here:
    1) The WH insists they're getting frequently tested. Given the invasive, painful nature of a nasopharyngeal swab, I have some doubts about this.
    2) False negatives are a known issue with these tests. The WH appears to be using negative results from tests to justify a lack of social distancing or PPE; see Trump and Pence's recent PR stunts without masks.
    Post edited by Mike D88 on
    i-Brzk3Rdjpg
    2008 Tampa - 2013 Buffalo - 2016 Tampa - 2016 Fenway II
    Audioslave 2005 MSG
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,589
    bbiggs said:
    I called the local butcher shop to see if I could place an order online and if they offered curbside pickup options.  He basically said I would need to come in to get what I want like everyone else unless I was elderly or had an underlying condition that prevented me from doing so.  He was real rude, so I called another one out of principle and got the same response, except in a polite way, so I'll shop there instead.  I have no problem going in to grab something when needed, but if stores are offering curbside, I'll go that route.  I understand it's less convenient for them, but these guys responded as if I was asking a completely obnoxious question.  Man. 

It is definitely less convenient to do curbside business but it is even more inconvenient to do no business at all.  The first guy, the rude one, should be thankful to be able to business and grateful to his customers, even the ones who ask for curbside.  I'd say if he is going to be rude about it, he should go pound sand!  

Good for the second guy for being polite but too bad he doesn't offer curbside to those who want it.  That really is the way to go.  

My wife's store is now doing curbside business for books.   But, sadly, I still am not back to work.  I may never go back- not because I don't want to or might not have the opportunity, but because the younger couple who are going to take over the business in not too many years are going to have a tough go of it and they will likely not be able to afford my part-time help.  I hope they can make a go of it in the coming years.  This thing has been really, really tough on small businesses.  Many will not survive.  So sad. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,516
    bbiggs said:
    I called the local butcher shop to see if I could place an order online and if they offered curbside pickup options.  He basically said I would need to come in to get what I want like everyone else unless I was elderly or had an underlying condition that prevented me from doing so.  He was real rude, so I called another one out of principle and got the same response, except in a polite way, so I'll shop there instead.  I have no problem going in to grab something when needed, but if stores are offering curbside, I'll go that route.  I understand it's less convenient for them, but these guys responded as if I was asking a completely obnoxious question.  Man. 

We had luck with a major restaurant distributor in our area. They normally supply schools, amusement parks, restaurants and other places that have concession stands. Had a burger the other day and was pretty good. Their minimum order was $150, but they delivered within a day and we are stocked with meats for months. 
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,946
    ^ I agree on all points Brian.  The funny thing is, I didn’t even ask FOR curbside, but rather if it was an option and he bit my head off. He mentioned how he has “500 orders to fulfill,” so clearly he’s not concerned about losing business. It’s all good.  I have zero problem telling everyone I know locally what a dick he was.  Curbside offerings today seem to be the norm at most places, so my question was not too far out there in my opinion.

Hopefully you can get back to work at some point!
  • dankinddankind Posts: 20,833
    pjl44 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    I get that Pearl Jam has an international fan base and that the virus is not simply a North American issue...but man this thread gets Swede-jacked.
    The thing is I'm pretty interested in how their approach is going and especially from someone who lives there. It's just soooooooo much to digest.
    Not to mention our Swedish friend started the thread. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,331
    Mike D88 said:
    The White House confirmed on Thursday that a member of the U.S. Navy who serves as one of President Trump's personal valets has tested positive for coronavirus, CNN reports.

A second member of Vice President Pence’s staff tested positive for the coronavirus Friday, a day after a valet to President Trump did the same.

TRUMP: “Katie, she tested very good for a long period of time, and then all of the sudden she tested positive ... this is why the whole concept of tests aren't necessarily great ... today, I guess, for some reason, she tested positive."

Couple issues here:
    1) The WH insists they're getting frequently tested. Given the invasive, painful nature of a nasopharyngeal swab, I have some doubts about this.
    2) False negatives are a known issue with these tests. The WH appears to be using negative results from tests to justify a lack of social distancing or PPE; see Trump and Pence's recent PR stunts without masks.
    Also the double standard. You guys go back to work without tests, you will be fine, it's safe. But we here, well, we get tested every day... because it's obviously not safe.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain Posts: 31,054
    dankind said:
    pjl44 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    I get that Pearl Jam has an international fan base and that the virus is not simply a North American issue...but man this thread gets Swede-jacked.
    The thing is I'm pretty interested in how their approach is going and especially from someone who lives there. It's just soooooooo much to digest.
    If we didn't have this thread we would have to actively seek out updates from Johan God.  
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    bbiggs said:
    ^ I agree on all points Brian.  The funny thing is, I didn’t even ask FOR curbside, but rather if it was an option and he bit my head off. He mentioned how he has “500 orders to fulfill,” so clearly he’s not concerned about losing business. It’s all good.  I have zero problem telling everyone I know locally what a dick he was.  Curbside offerings today seem to be the norm at most places, so my question was not too far out there in my opinion.

Hopefully you can get back to work at some point!

Thanks, b!  I've got my little on line business back up and running and scouring my inventory for things worth listing that I may have missed.  It's not much, but gives me something to do and a sense of having a job. 

But no complaints.  We're having spaghetti with mushrooms, broccoli and a little red wine for dinner.  Any time that happens is a good time!  Annie the cat thinks so too.  Broccoli is one of her favorites!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• dankinddankind Posts: 20,833
    dankind said:
    pjl44 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    If we didn't have this thread we would have to actively seek out updates from Johan God.  

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain Posts: 31,054
    Agreed
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,388
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    mcgruff10 said:

That's great.  I hated much of what Bush did during his administration but then, he was pretty much a puppet president and now he has shown a lot of class in responding to the pandemic and I think that's very cool.

• Mike D88Mike D88 Posts: 723
    edited May 2020
    Mike D88 said:

Couple issues here:

Addendum:

Post edited by Mike D88 on
    i-Brzk3Rdjpg
    2008 Tampa - 2013 Buffalo - 2016 Tampa - 2016 Fenway II
    Audioslave 2005 MSG
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,316
    hedonist said:
    Is it really necessary to do that “redeemed” thing ad nauseum instead of letting what you post stand on its own?  Kinda tough on the eyes. 
    No kidding.

hippiemom = goodness
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 Posts: 10,739
    Give Peas A Chance…
    These coronavirus conspiracy creeps who are insulting doctors and health care practitioners are sickening:

What are we doing this for?': Doctors are fed up with conspiracies ravaging ERs

At the end of another long shift treating coronavirus patients, Dr. Hadi Halazun opened his Facebook page to find a man insisting to him that "no one's dying" and that the coronavirus is "fake news" drummed up by the news media.

Hadi tried to engage and explain his firsthand experience with the virus. In reply, another user insinuated that he wasn't a real doctor, saying pictures from his profile showing him at concerts and music festivals proved it.

"I told them: 'I am a real doctor. There are 200 people in my hospital's ICU,'" said Halazun, a cardiologist in New York. "And they said, 'Give me your credentials.' I engaged with them, and they kicked me off their wall."

"I left work and I felt so deflated. I let it get to me."

Halazun, like many other health care professionals, is dealing with a bombardment of misinformation and harassment from conspiracy theorists, some of whom have moved beyond posting online to pressing doctors for proof of the severity of the pandemic.

And it's taking a toll. Halazun said dealing with conspiracy theorists is the "second most painful thing I've had to deal with, other than separation of families from their loved one."

• josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,135
    PJNB said:
    This is a post about business's alone and in no way am I taking this virus lightly. 

I live in a province that is considered the safest place in North America to live with regards to the virus. Today was a big day for my wife and the province as a whole. We are entering phase 2 of opening things back up. Her physiotherapy business is allowed to reopen after being closed down since Mar 12th. Tens of thousands of dollars gone forever. She has spent the last 10 years building a profitable business and something like this comes in and takes it all away in a blink of an eye. Also the measures that are being put in place for her to open are strict enough that only the ones in dire need of treatment are likely to make the effort. 

That said we are fortunate to be opening back up and I really do feel for the small business's out there that have no end in sight for them being closed. If and when there is another wave in the fall I doubt her business survives will survive. 
    Wishing you both the best of luck going forward ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,424
    edited May 2020
    While it is great that he was so far ahead of it this is the same guy that over a month ago shut schools down for the full year instead of waiting it out and seeing if they could reopen. Now we have other provinces in much worse situations than we were able to open up but since he cancelled so far in advance he is not able to go back on the premature decision.

Now we have more business's opening back up which is great but daycares are still over a  week away from opening with limited spots available and no schools open for kids to go to. Who is supposed to watch these kids? That is my opinion on it of course and I am sure others would think differently. If you can not open up schools in our province right now then the fall is going to be impossible to keep open. 

Also New Brunswick is set up perfectly for this as a province. Very little people come in here for tourism and our demographic is spread out much more than all provinces. That said I do not feel like our leaders did anything differently than the other leaders in Canada did. They did the right moves when they needed to and I truly believe benefited from lack of large cities (see Halifax for comparison), transit systems that are not packed and the people of this province for the most part taking it seriously especially at the start. 

Post edited by PJNB on
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,388
    https://www.nj.com/entertainment/2020/05/when-will-concerts-return-a-legendary-nj-promoter-unpacks-an-industry-in-crisis.html

First, the burning question: When do you think concerts will return? Is the industry still holding out hope for the fall or is everyone already looking to 2021?

“It's a moving target almost every day. A few months ago, the industry sort of unanimously thought ‘OK, this will all be over by the summer and we'll have a normal summer.’ But it got worse, not better. A few weeks ago, most agents, managers and bands had pretty much given up on most of the summer, started saying ‘maybe we can get some outdoor shows in August, September.’ Now in the last couple of days, some people still hold out hope for late fall, for November and December. But most people have thrown in the towel, meaning they don't really think shows will be back until 2021. I don't think there's any real reason to believe that there can be national tours until 2021 or until a vaccine is there.

The biggest New Jersey music festival still on the books for 2020 is Asbury Park’s Sea Hear Now festival in September, with Pearl Jam headlining and tens of thousands of people expected. That seems unlikely now, yes?

“Yeah, pretty unlikely.”

Some industry folks have suggested smaller venues could reopen sooner with social distancing measures put in place. Possible or pipe dream?

“Maybe not forever, but for a long time, there's not going to be GA (standing room) shows. I don't know if we'll ever see them again. Shows will belong in theaters big and small. That could really help NJPAC, the State Theatre, Bergen PAC. With reserved seats, you can lay it out so that there is social distancing. 

I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    Did anyone buy a printer for home in the last few months?  I came up with a theory a few years back that no one buys printers anymore due to phones and that anything they need to print they can do at work.  I think the last printer I bought was in 2003.

(buy the way i did and i can't get the frigg'n thing to work!)
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 38,211
    Jason P said:
    Did anyone buy a printer for home in the last few months?  I came up with a theory a few years back that no one buys printers anymore due to phones and that anything they need to print they can do at work.  I think the last printer I bought was in 2003.

Have you tried shaking the toner cartridge? Can you print a test page? If none of those work, try calling the customer service help line and see if they’ll walk you through the set up. Put your phone on speaker and be prepared to be on hold listening to migraine inducing Muzak.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,114
    mcgruff10 said:
    https://www.nj.com/entertainment/2020/05/when-will-concerts-return-a-legendary-nj-promoter-unpacks-an-industry-in-crisis.html

First, the burning question: When do you think concerts will return? Is the industry still holding out hope for the fall or is everyone already looking to 2021?

“It's a moving target almost every day. A few months ago, the industry sort of unanimously thought ‘OK, this will all be over by the summer and we'll have a normal summer.’ But it got worse, not better. A few weeks ago, most agents, managers and bands had pretty much given up on most of the summer, started saying ‘maybe we can get some outdoor shows in August, September.’ Now in the last couple of days, some people still hold out hope for late fall, for November and December. But most people have thrown in the towel, meaning they don't really think shows will be back until 2021. I don't think there's any real reason to believe that there can be national tours until 2021 or until a vaccine is there.

The biggest New Jersey music festival still on the books for 2020 is Asbury Park’s Sea Hear Now festival in September, with Pearl Jam headlining and tens of thousands of people expected. That seems unlikely now, yes?

“Yeah, pretty unlikely.”

Some industry folks have suggested smaller venues could reopen sooner with social distancing measures put in place. Possible or pipe dream?

“Maybe not forever, but for a long time, there's not going to be GA (standing room) shows. I don't know if we'll ever see them again. Shows will belong in theaters big and small. That could really help NJPAC, the State Theatre, Bergen PAC. With reserved seats, you can lay it out so that there is social distancing. 

It's going to be a while, but I think GA shows will definitely come back
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,312
    Jason P said:

I put my color printer through hell and back all the time. But I agree that i'm probably in the minority.
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,424
    pjl44 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

“Yeah, pretty unlikely.”

If they do not then there won't  be festivals ever again. Pretty ridiculous statement imo but most of the rest of the comments are spot on. 
    PJNB said:
    pjl44 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

“Yeah, pretty unlikely.”

If they do not then there won't  be festivals ever again. Pretty ridiculous statement imo but most of the rest of the comments are spot on. 
    I agree. That one comment sounds like a promoter with an agenda. I will be back at a GA club show as soon as they get the green light.
    My guess is that GA will come back. festivals will come back, and pretty much everything will come back but on a lower level of luxury.  Most of us in the first world have been living in a bubble of time that started just after WWII when wealth (at least relative wealth) and ease of living became common.  The coronavirus burst that bubble and we will not see it return to the level it had been before.  This was inevitable anyway because we in the first world have consumed more resources and energy than the planet could inevitably continue to sustain.  This pandemic, besides being the horrible disease it is, has ushered in a new, less affluent era.  This does not have to necessarily mean a lower quality of life.  In fact, if we learn to live within our means, more simply, more purely, more reasonable and more responsibly, it could usher in a much better era in human history.  If not, it may well lead to one of the most unsettled, strife ridden periods of human history.  The choice is ours.

brianlux said:
    My guess is that GA will come back. festivals will come back, and pretty much everything will come back but on a lower level of luxury.  Most of us in the first world have been living in a bubble of time that started just after WWII when wealth (at least relative wealth) and ease of living became common.  The coronavirus burst that bubble and we will not see it return to the level it had been before.  This was inevitable anyway because we in the first world have consumed more resources and energy than the planet could inevitably continue to sustain.  This pandemic, besides being the horrible disease it is, has ushered in a new, less affluent era.  This does not have to necessarily mean a lower quality of life.  In fact, if we learn to live within our means, more simply, more purely, more reasonable and more responsibly, it could usher in a much better era in human history.  If not, it may well lead to one of the most unsettled, strife ridden periods of human history.  The choice is ours.
    Indeed a total wake up call!
    Very interesting 

This discussion has been closed.