The coronavirus

Comments

• pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,114
    I just saw a headline on a paywalled article that says Carnival cruise lines will resume some sailings in August. 

That’s a big “nope” for me. 
    If I can't go see a club show, those giant germ factories can stay docked for the foreseeable future
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 40,005
    I just saw a headline on a paywalled article that says Carnival cruise lines will resume some sailings in August. 

Exploding Kittens Nope Card Diagram  Quizlet
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,062
    During the Public Health Authority's daily press conference on the corona virus, Karin Tegmark Wisell, head of the department of microbiology, announced that an infection in covid-19 provides an immunity protection. An expert group has come to the conclusion after reviewing the overall state of knowledge.

- A proven immune response is considered to provide full or partial protection against clinical disease in the event of a re-infection.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • RenfieldRenfield Posts: 1,054

Seems so wrong
    https://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2020/05/04/business/ap-us-carnival-cruise-reopening.html

edited May 2020
    For those of us in NY State. See ya sometime in mid June? (I’m in NYC and Phase 2.)

• mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,405
    Renfield said:

Seems so wrong
    https://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2020/05/04/business/ap-us-carnival-cruise-reopening.html

Idiots. 
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • OnWis97OnWis97 Posts: 4,970
    I can't imagine anyone taking a cruise any time in the near future...like before there's not only a vaccine but a significant amount of "normal" time has passed.

I'll never take one (never really wanted to, anyway, but even if I did, there's no way I'd be doing it in 2020).
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 Posts: 23,035
    missouri started to open up today. funny because just yesterday we had the highest number of new cases since the pandemic began.

god help us.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
    missouri started to open up today. funny because just yesterday we had the highest number of new cases since the pandemic began.

god help us.
    And you can go to concerts!!
    https://www.billboard.com/articles/business/9368428/missouri-concerts-resume-may-4-coronavirus

“event organizers are expected to keep concertgoers six feet or more apart to limit the spread of the novel coronavirus.”  How does that work?

god help us.
    I know it....it's fucking nuts. I'm staying home. F that.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,135
    Renfield said:

god help us.
    https://www.billboard.com/articles/business/9368428/missouri-concerts-resume-may-4-coronavirus

“event organizers are expected to keep concertgoers six feet or more apart to limit the spread of the novel coronavirus.”  How does that work?
    It doesn’t!
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    Renfield said:

god help us.

It doesn’t!
    It’s totally absurd! This is not an attainable goal at a concert. Let’s hope no artist/band will engage in this stupidity. 
    Renfield said:
    Renfield said:

god help us.

It doesn’t!
    It’s totally absurd! This is not an attainable goal at a concert. Let’s hope no artist/band will engage in this stupidity. 
    let's think about this for a minute.

to properly socially distance, you would probably need your venue to be about 1/3 capacity. no venue will attempt this because such a small gate will not be enough to pay the band and cover expenses. no venue would risk this.

also, no band that is not on tour is going to make a special trip to podunk, mo to play a show. i say podunk, mo because columbia, st louis city, st louis county, and i believe kansas city area are all still under stay at home orders indefinitely. also, what bands are touring right now? can't be smaller bands because our bars are not even open right now.

our governor is fucking stupid.

mfc2006 said:

god help us.
    me too. i do need to take some supplies to an account in cape on wed or thurs, but aside from that i am staying home.

• cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,316
    OnWis97 said:
    I can't imagine anyone taking a cruise any time in the near future...like before there's not only a vaccine but a significant amount of "normal" time has passed.

I'll never take one (never really wanted to, anyway, but even if I did, there's no way I'd be doing it in 2020).
    I've looked at them for 2021, but there aren't really any deals which I thought was weird.  But then I read a lot of 2020 just pushed to 2021 so it made sense.  I of course would only book with the ability cancel and not lose much $ ;)
    hippiemom = goodness
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Posts: 10,659
    Yup let's relax the social distancing and stay at home orders...

An influential coronavirus model is nearly doubling its projection to about 135,000 US deaths. A researcher blames relaxed social distancing. https://cnn.it/2zZGmzZ
  • SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 6,406
    OnWis97 said:

I had no desire to cruise before the young one suggested it. I thought it was for boring, old people. She was enticed by youtube reviews of waterslides and I have to say I was amazed last summer!!! Every day, I opened my curtains to a new gift: a gorgeous new landscape in the Mediterranean. It was a wonderful way to travel Europe, swim and enjoy artwork, like the statue of David.

Anyhow, I rebooked spring break 2020 cruise until next spring break. I also pushed PJ/Eilish LollaParis and DMB for a year! Buy the ticket... take the ride! 
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,114
    Renfield said:

god help us.

Maybe in a seated venue where you space out the seats that are sold and block off the rest. But there's still a lot of movement back and forth and it's a lot of people indoors breathing the same air. 

It's weird to think about how concerts will kick back off. It will be tough to route a tour if states have varying restrictions and the looming threat of an outbreak changing things. Maybe short regional runs near where a given band is based? And outdoor shows first if the weather allows for it?
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 10,667
    OnWis97 said:

Just back from our cruise Had a great time - iFunny
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,312
    Ha!
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 38,211
    It’s not just about bringing your guns to the state house to protest stay at home orders but PIPE BOMBS! Pipe bombs. Let that sink in.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/05/04/coronavirus-update-us/
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
    edited May 2020
    mfc2006 said:

god help us.
    me too. i do need to take some supplies to an account in cape on wed or thurs, but aside from that i am staying home.
    We venture out for groceries every other week & go for long drives. Aside from that, we’re home.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Mike D88Mike D88 Posts: 723
    Renfield said:
    Renfield said:

god help us.

It doesn’t!
    let's think about this for a minute.

to properly socially distance, you would probably need your venue to be about 1/3 capacity. no venue will attempt this because such a small gate will not be enough to pay the band and cover expenses. no venue would risk this.

also, no band that is not on tour is going to make a special trip to podunk, mo to play a show. i say podunk, mo because columbia, st louis city, st louis county, and i believe kansas city area are all still under stay at home orders indefinitely. also, what bands are touring right now? can't be smaller bands because our bars are not even open right now.

our governor is fucking stupid.
    Social distancing is pointless in large groups, even if everyone follows the guidelines precisely. The six foot rule is not a guaranteed safety bubble, it's just the best balance of practicality and efficacy. A symptomatic carrier, or even an asymptomatic carrier with coincidental symptoms--from, say, allergies--would carpet bomb everyone within dozens of feet in all directions with potentially infectious viral loads. By the time you get crowds into the thousands, you're going to run into some of those.
    i-Brzk3Rdjpg
    2008 Tampa - 2013 Buffalo - 2016 Tampa - 2016 Fenway II
    Audioslave 2005 MSG
  • SmellymanSmellyman Posts: 4,524
    Just a reminder again.  Good new video.

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 Posts: 10,739
    California will be allowing some business’s to re-open Friday.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 Posts: 10,739
    Smellyman said:
    Just a reminder again.  Good new video.

Much easier to keep this virus at bay on an island.

Give Peas A Chance…
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Posts: 12,844
    Today in BC the provincial Medical Health Officer and the Minister of Health presented some modelling they have been doing to help guide loosening up the restrictions. We have been fortunate to have been able to squash our curve, and cases have never overwhelmed the capacity of our health care system. The data suggests that, with current restrictions in place, people are experiencing about 30% of the contact with others that they were pre-covid. Modelling estimates that increasing contact to 40% of "normal" would not raise the rate of new infections any appreciable amount, raising it to 60% would likely lead to an increase in cases that is manageable within the healthcare system, and raising it to 80% would lead to a major spike in cases. In the words of our health minister, "we cannot throw open the doors, but we can begin to open the windows". We're now waiting to learn which windows exactly will open, and when. Details on Wednesday apparently. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,588
    California will be allowing some business’s to re-open Friday.

Gov. Newsom did mention that today but he said these will be retail businesses open for curbside pickup only.  In other words, not open- open.  We'll see what happens Friday- things do change a bit from day to day and week to week, but so far it's just for curbside pickup. 

We have one guy at the bookstore who might work the store some days.  The rest of us are over 65 and staying home for now.  Personally, I'm staying home until this thing is over or until hell freezes over, which ever comes first.  I re-opened my on line book sales though, so I have a few bucks trickling in. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• 23scidoo23scidoo Posts: 19,075
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
This discussion has been closed.