The coronavirus

Comments

• josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,135
    mace1229 said:
    dignin said:
    mace1229 said:
    dignin said:

Reopening states will cause 233,000 more people to die from coronavirus, according to Wharton model

According to the Penn Wharton Budget Model (PWBM), reopening states will result in an additional 233,000 deaths from the virus — even if states don’t reopen at all and with social distancing rules in place. This means that if the states were to reopen, 350,000 people in total would die from coronavirus by the end of June, the study found.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/reopening-states-will-cause-233000-more-people-to-die-from-coronavirus-according-to-wharton-model-120049573.html
    That doesn’t make sense to me. 233,000 more will die if we reopen,  or even if we don’t reopen and keep social distancing 233,000 will still die.
    So 233,000 either way? Doesn’t sound like it’s the result of reopening then. They are contradicting their title by saying the same number will die if we reopen or not.
    Read the whole article.
    I did. It’s poorly written at best, to me looks like click bait to contradict your title within the first 2 paragraphs. 
    That is the only mention of total deaths, it talks about a couple of states and also mentions a partial reopen will kill 46,000, a smaller number than if we stayed closed. So still doesn’t make sense.
    Heck what’s a few thousand difference 100 k or 75 k or 200k they are just numbers at this point ,America’s ready for the final tally what ever that number might be after all we are #1 no?
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1199241
    Is this the start of total chaos at these protests or at stores demanding masks be worn , I hope they catch and prosecute to the max who ever shot this man and will the Baffoon still praise these idiot Americans?

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,312
    mace1229 said:
    dignin said:
    mace1229 said:
    dignin said:

Reopening states will cause 233,000 more people to die from coronavirus, according to Wharton model

According to the Penn Wharton Budget Model (PWBM), reopening states will result in an additional 233,000 deaths from the virus — even if states don’t reopen at all and with social distancing rules in place. This means that if the states were to reopen, 350,000 people in total would die from coronavirus by the end of June, the study found.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/reopening-states-will-cause-233000-more-people-to-die-from-coronavirus-according-to-wharton-model-120049573.html
    That doesn’t make sense to me. 233,000 more will die if we reopen,  or even if we don’t reopen and keep social distancing 233,000 will still die.
    So 233,000 either way? Doesn’t sound like it’s the result of reopening then. They are contradicting their title by saying the same number will die if we reopen or not.
    Read the whole article.
    I did. It’s poorly written at best, to me looks like click bait to contradict your title within the first 2 paragraphs. 
    That is the only mention of total deaths, it talks about a couple of states and also mentions a partial reopen will kill 46,000, a smaller number than if we stayed closed. So still doesn’t make sense.
    Heck what’s a few thousand difference 100 k or 75 k or 200k they are just numbers at this point ,America’s ready for the final tally what ever that number might be after all we are #1 no?
    We're just running up the score.  We're like UNLV 1991 playing Fresno State.  Trump is like Anderson Hunt, just stealing the ball from the libs every time down the court, getting the easy layups.  Libs= owned. 
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 40,005
    Is this the start of total chaos at these protests or at stores demanding masks be worn , I hope they catch and prosecute to the max who ever shot this man and will the Baffoon still praise these idiot Americans?

The argument about wearing masks happens here in NY too.  
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,588
    I tell people this story now whenever they want to reopen things or that it's a conspiracy or what have you.

We buried my Aunt at St Josephs cemetery here in Queens last week and one thing I noticed immediately was all the open graves and how many caskets that were being moved around, the line of Hearse's in the entrance.

Never in my life have I seen a cemetery this busy before.  It was eerie to see that many graves dug open...

Just because you aren't experiencing what we are here in NY doesn't mean that it's not serious.

I understand that the country is breaking and I don't have an answer for people but there is most definitely bad shit happening and we are in lock down for a reason.

I'm sorry to hear about your aunt.  Best wishes to you and yours.

Today. more the half the country is opening up, opening the doors to more tragedy.  Like you, I don't have an answer for the economic woes, but allowing the virus to spread will only cause more problems.  I'm glad NY and CA ad a few other states are still siding with caution.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,253
    mace1229 said:
    dignin said:
    mace1229 said:
    dignin said:

Read the whole article.
    Who said that? I was just pointing out the title of the article said 233,000 more will die if we reopen, but then reading the article it says 233,000 will die if we stay closed and keep social distancing, so either way apparently. Does that title not seem misleading to you? All I was saying, not sure where you came up with  what’s a few thousand more and all just numbers.
    Apparently we can’t scrutinize the media for misleading articles anymore without being accusing of not caring if tens of thousands die.
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    dignin said:
    mace1229 said:
    dignin said:

Read the whole article.
    Who said that? I was just pointing out the title of the article said 233,000 more will die if we reopen, but then reading the article it says 233,000 will die if we stay closed and keep social distancing, so either way apparently. Does that title not seem misleading to you? All I was saying, not sure where you came up with  what’s a few thousand more and all just numbers.
    Apparently we can’t scrutinize the media for misleading articles anymore without being accusing of not caring if tens of thousands die.
    That’s just it this country doesn’t care how many die! Sorry didn’t mean to make it sound like you don’t care I now that’s not the case ..

Not really not where I shop yesterday was in Lowes every single customer & employee was wearing a mask , so we where have you seen people protesting here about forcing for everything to open back up? I haven’t seen any, I know this wasn’t a protest but usually all it takes is the 1st shot to start a wave of violence..
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,388
    NJ just closed public schools for the rest of the year.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • wndowpaynewndowpayne Posts: 1,469
    Numbers are going up every day here in Virginia..I don't see this getting better yet. Opening up is not the answer right now..I know its because more testing but still not counting the folks not tested either. We had a case last week where I work and are  off for 2 weeks.
    Charlottesville 2013
    Hampton 2016

• mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,405
    Numbers are going up every day here in Virginia..I don't see this getting better yet. Opening up is not the answer right now..I know its because more testing but still not counting the folks not tested either. We had a case last week where I work and are  off for 2 weeks.
    Same here in MO. Things should NOT be opening up anywhere, in my opinion.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,588

mfc2006 said:
    Same here in MO. Things should NOT be opening up anywhere, in my opinion.

I agree, both.  I'm hoping things don't open up here too soon.  Testing is ramping up in many states and once the number of tests gets higher then it might make sense to ease restrictions.  But if opening up happens too quickly, then things slide deeper into more trouble. 

I wonder how much of this opening up is due to protesters?  I'm not against peaceful protest- not at all- but gun toting, flag waving angry mobs who are mostly not distancing and are not wearing masks are not the way to go.  This month could prove to be a disaster.  I sure hope not.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Not really not where I shop yesterday was in Lowes every single customer & employee was wearing a mask , so we where have you seen people protesting here about forcing for everything to open back up? I haven’t seen any, I know this wasn’t a protest but usually all it takes is the 1st shot to start a wave of violence..
    The local bagel/deli place.  There is a big sign, multiples actually that state u need a mask.  "You will not be served" if you don't wear one.  There was a guy that wanted to fight the salesperson because he said something to him.

Crazy.

The local bagel/deli place.  There is a big sign, multiples actually that state u need a mask.  "You will not be served" if you don't wear one.  There was a guy that wanted to fight the salesperson because he said something to him.

Crazy.
    Oh yeah I could see idiots doing that for a fucking bagel damn fools , hey please accept my condolences on the loss of your aunt..

• dignindignin Posts: 9,331
    mace1229 said:
    dignin said:
    mace1229 said:
    dignin said:

Read the whole article.
    Is it the math or the reading you're having trouble with? Both are hard.
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,312
    I generally agree, but I can tell you Lowes, HD, Sams, etc. were all PACKED all weekend long here in Richmond.  The car washes were open and jammed up.  I'd say 70% of people wearing masks, but people were out and about.  Obviously it was a gorgeous weekend so I'm not surprised.  I went to Lowes on Sat, drove aroudn the lot and said F this, I'm not going in.  I ended up going back at night.  Had to go back Sunday to get a power washer part and it was jammed up again.  

Crazy.
    Oh yeah I could see idiots doing that for a fucking bagel damn fools , hey please accept my condolences on the loss of your aunt..

Thanks Jose.  She was the one I had called you about when the lockdowns were first happening in the hospitals.
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,253
    edited May 2020
    dignin said:
    mace1229 said:
    dignin said:
    mace1229 said:
    dignin said:

Read the whole article.
    If I’m wrong it’s probably the reading. I got a 790 on the math SAT and about a 500 on the reading (back when it was a total of 1600).
    But instead of being insulting you could try a conversation. You still haven’t said how it makes sense to say 233,000 die if we reopen, or 2330,000 still die if we don’t. Literally what the article said and you even quoted it. 
    I will quote you quoting the article now:
     “reopening states will result in an additional 233,000 deaths from the virus — even if states don’t reopen at all and with social distancing rules in place.”

So is that not saying 233k die if we open, and 233k die even if we don’t?
    Looking forward to an actual response. But if you can’t defend the article you posted, feel free to continue with random insults. That just lets us know you have nothing relevant to say.

Post edited by mace1229 on
  • OnWis97OnWis97 Posts: 4,970
    mcgruff10 said:
    NJ just closed public schools for the rest of the year.

Good choice.  Hard to believe it took this long.

brianlux said:

Today. more the half the country is opening up, opening the doors to more tragedy.  Like you, I don't have an answer for the economic woes, but allowing the virus to spread will only cause more problems.  I'm glad NY and CA ad a few other states are still siding with caution.

That might not be entirely true.  Minnesota is on the "opening up" list but for the most our change is minimal (https://mn.gov/governor/news/#/detail/appId/1/id/430501). In includes some curb-side pick-up options for some businesses that it had not been allowed for.  But no kids at school, no bars/restaurants open or anything like that.

1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,316
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    dignin said:
    mace1229 said:
    dignin said:

Read the whole article.
    Yes it was a very confusing sentence.  I read it a bunch to try and understand what it meant...and I was still guessing.
    hippiemom = goodness
    dignin said:
    mace1229 said:
    dignin said:
    mace1229 said:
    dignin said:

Read the whole article.
    Really?  Did you read that sentence?  It was really poorly written.  Unsure why that would lead to such a nasty post.
    hippiemom = goodness
    https://abcnews.go.com/US/colorado-man-planning-armed-protest-states-coronavirus-restrictions/story?id=70491370
    It’s just a matter of time before this gets out of hand and a lot of people get killed by one of these idiots and why are no politicians coming out against this crap no mater what side your on!
    mace1229 said:
    dignin said:
    mace1229 said:
    dignin said:
    mace1229 said:
    dignin said:

Read the whole article.
    If I’m wrong it’s probably the reading. I got a 790 on the math SAT and about a 500 on the reading (back when it was a total of 1600).
    But instead of being insulting you could try a conversation. You still haven’t said how it makes sense to say 233,000 die if we reopen, or 2330,000 still die if we don’t. Literally what the article said and you even quoted it. 
     “reopening states will result in an additional 233,000 deaths from the virus — even if states don’t reopen at all and with social distancing rules in place.”

Looking forward to an actual response. But if you can’t defend the article you posted, feel free to continue with random insults. That just lets us know you have nothing relevant to say.

Relax, it was just a joke. I'm sorry you felt insulted, it wasn't intended that way, more just a gentle ribbing. 

Maybe this is easier to digest.

https://www.cathlabdigest.com/content/penn-wharton-budget-model-covid-19-mortality-estimates-based-varying-levels-reopening-states-nationwide

• If states do not reopen before June 30, cumulative national deaths due to coronavirus would rise to around 117,000 by June 30 (including deaths prior to May 1). GDP on June 30, 2020 would be 11.6 percent lower than GDP one year earlier (“Year-Over-Year” or “YOY”). About 18.6 million jobs would be lost between May 1 and June 30.

• Partially reopening would cause 45,000 additional deaths by June 30, relative to not reopening. GDP on June 30 would increase by 1 percent, from an 11.6 percent YOY loss without reopening to a 10.7 YOY loss with partial reopening. About 4.4 million jobs would be saved, for a total of 14.0 million jobs lost between May 1 and June 30.

• Fully reopening would lead to an additional 233,000 deaths by the end of June relative to not reopening. GDP on June 30 would increase by about 1.5 percentage points relative to not reopening. Almost all net job losses between May 1 and June 30 would be eliminated.

• If, however, individuals see full reopening as a “return to normal” and as a result relax their own voluntary social distancing practices—behaving in a manner consistent with Feb 1, 2020—cumulative national deaths would reach 950,000 by June 30. Job losses would turn to a net positive of 4.1 million in jobs gained, erasing some of the job losses prior to May 1.

Here is the source.

https://budgetmodel.wharton.upenn.edu/issues/2020/5/1/coronavirus-reopening-simulator
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 8,288
    dignin said:
    mace1229 said:
    dignin said:
    mace1229 said:
    dignin said:

Read the whole article.
    Really?  Did you read that sentence?  It was really poorly written.  Unsure why that would lead to such a nasty post.
    Unsure? Cmon dude. Its AMT. that’s how it works here. 
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,416
    dignin said:
    mace1229 said:
    dignin said:
    mace1229 said:
    dignin said:
    mace1229 said:
    dignin said:

Read the whole article.

Relax, it was just a joke. I'm sorry you felt insulted, it wasn't intended that way, more just a gentle ribbing. 

Maybe this is easier to digest.

https://www.cathlabdigest.com/content/penn-wharton-budget-model-covid-19-mortality-estimates-based-varying-levels-reopening-states-nationwide

• If states do not reopen before June 30, cumulative national deaths due to coronavirus would rise to around 117,000 by June 30 (including deaths prior to May 1). GDP on June 30, 2020 would be 11.6 percent lower than GDP one year earlier (“Year-Over-Year” or “YOY”). About 18.6 million jobs would be lost between May 1 and June 30.

• Partially reopening would cause 45,000 additional deaths by June 30, relative to not reopening. GDP on June 30 would increase by 1 percent, from an 11.6 percent YOY loss without reopening to a 10.7 YOY loss with partial reopening. About 4.4 million jobs would be saved, for a total of 14.0 million jobs lost between May 1 and June 30.

• Fully reopening would lead to an additional 233,000 deaths by the end of June relative to not reopening. GDP on June 30 would increase by about 1.5 percentage points relative to not reopening. Almost all net job losses between May 1 and June 30 would be eliminated.

• If, however, individuals see full reopening as a “return to normal” and as a result relax their own voluntary social distancing practices—behaving in a manner consistent with Feb 1, 2020—cumulative national deaths would reach 950,000 by June 30. Job losses would turn to a net positive of 4.1 million in jobs gained, erasing some of the job losses prior to May 1.

Here is the source.

https://budgetmodel.wharton.upenn.edu/issues/2020/5/1/coronavirus-reopening-simulator
    good information.  I don't see people 'returning to normal in a manner consistent with feb 1 2020' for a long time.  Even if we fully re-open I don't see anything approaching normal of Feb 1 2020 any time soon.  People will still be wary to fly, go to restaurants, even go to work in an office for awhile.  I think a lot of people will dip those toes in but not fully jump.  If we can open but with restrictions (masks, limiting numbers in stores, etc.) that to me is the way to go.  the re-opening to a normal level will need to happen but will need to be at a slower pace then the closing down was.  

nicknyr15 said:
    dignin said:
    mace1229 said:
    dignin said:
    mace1229 said:
    dignin said:

Read the whole article.
    Unsure? Cmon dude. Its AMT. that’s how it works here. 
    Hahahaha Fair enough!
    hippiemom = goodness
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Posts: 12,844
    I just saw a headline on a paywalled article that says Carnival cruise lines will resume some sailings in August. 

That’s a big “nope” for me. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    Careful, more clickbait.

The Trump administration is privately predicting the daily coronavirus death toll will almost double over the next month, with new infections increasing from 25,000 per day to 200,000

https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-administration-predicts-daily-virus-deaths-will-double-by-june-2020-5

CDC privately projects significant May surge in coronavirus cases and deaths

https://www.axios.com/cdc-projections-coronavirus-may-june-a96726e7-acc8-4855-b603-dc6518f560f5.html?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=organic&utm_content=1100
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,752
    I'm unsure why all these "no vaccine" articles and interviews starting popping up.  There has been nothing but good news on that front.  Certainly still a risk, but we've had reports of multiple vaccines in human study that we successful in other tests.

Oxford professor: Possible coronavirus vaccine could show efficacy by June

https://thehill.com/homenews/sunday-talk-shows/495865-oxford-professor-possible-coronavirus-vaccine-could-show-efficacy
This discussion has been closed.