The coronavirus

Comments

• SHZASHZA Posts: 3,889
    mace1229 said:
    Mike D88 said:
    The WHO did not say it doesn't spread from person to person. In early January it said there was no evidence yet that it did, because there wasn't.

January 8:
    “More comprehensive information is required to confirm the pathogen, as well as to better understand the... modes of transmission...”

January 12:
    “At this stage, there is no infection among healthcare workers, and no clear evidence of human to human transmission.”

January 14:
    “From the information that we have it is possible that there is limited human-to-human transmission, potentially among families, but it is very clear right now that we have no sustained human-to-human transmission.” [keyword sustained]

January 22:
    “We are in agreement with Chinese authorities who have been clear and transparent that there is evidence of human-to-human transmission.”

The issue here is people not understanding simple logical concepts, like absence of evidence != evidence of absence.

(I'll also note here that the timeline above doesn't even work out as far as any claim being repeated "for a month")

I understand your evidence of absence.  But Isn’t saying there’s no evidence of human to human transfer implying that you believe it doesn’t transfer that way? Seems like you’re splitting hairs here. They wouldn’t make that statement unless they wanted to calm fears and make people think it doesn’t transfer human to human because that’s what they believed.
    If I were a public official with the whole world looking to me for answers I wouldn’t announce something like “there’s no evidence that suggests this virus doesn’t spread person to person” and then backpedal and say “we’ll I never said there was evidence that says it doesn’t either, so bad on you.”
    They didn’t think it transferred human to human until the end of January.
    They didn’t even think masks were helpful until what like a months ago. I was just saying in response to the comment putting down someone because he thought the flu was worse. They got it things wrong was all I was saying. Do you disagree with that?
    Even in mid-late January dr Fauci was saying this virus was nothing to worry about, I would infer at that time he thought the flu was worse too.
    A big difference in my view is that Clay Travis is in the "hot take" business and deliberately says controversial things to drive ratings. I'd like to believe that public health experts aren't making statements based on a political agenda. So if turns out they were wrong, it was an honest mistake. Travis doesn't care if he's wrong as long as people pay attention to him 
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,312
    brianlux said:
    You really don't know,  or messing with me?
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    mrussel1 said:
    You got me and I was really depressed when I read the tag. My wife and I still have tickets to a ZZ Top concert in July that hasn’t been cancelled yet that we are hoping doesn’t get cancelled. Once I clicked the link I cursed you and laughed. Then I sent the link to all of my friends.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,588
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

Honest to God, I don't have a clue.  The name sounds vaguely familiar though. 
    hide

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,516
    edited May 2020
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

hide

He invented the Rick Roll. Since you've asked you are required to watch the entire video at maximum volume. Cute dog

https://youtu.be/j5a0jTc9S10
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,062
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

hide
    About
    Rickrolling is a bait-and-switch prank that involves posting a hyperlink that is supposedly relevant to the topic at hand in an online discussion, but re-directs the viewer to the music video of "Never Gonna Give You Up," a 1987 dance pop single by English singer-songwriter Rick Astley. Since May 2007, numerous versions of the music video on YouTube have garnered hundreds of millions, largely driven by the widespread practice of "rickrolling" and subsequent resurgence in popularity of the song over the following decade.

Origin
    Rick Astley's dance pop single "Never Gonna Give You Up" was originally released as part of his 1987 solo debut album Whenever You Need Somebody. Upon its initial release, the single became a number one hit on several international charts, including the Billboard Hot 100 and UK Singles Chart[1]. YouTuber Erik Helwig claims to have prank called a Michigan radio station after a sports game and played "Never Gonna Give You Up" over the phone on August 31st, 2006. The story was explained in a YouTube video titled "I Did the First Rickroll (w/ Proof) uploaded on August 7th, 2015 (shown below).
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    Zahara de los Atunes, near Cadiz, used tractors to spray more than 2km (1.2 miles) of beach with a bleach solution a day before Spain allowed children out of lockdown for the first time.

Environmentalists say the move caused "brutal damage" to the local ecosystem.

Spain has been badly affected by the coronavirus, with 23,800 deaths.

It recently announced a four-phase plan to lift its stringent lockdown measures and return to a "new normality" by the end of June.

María Dolores Iglesias, who heads an environmental volunteer group in the Cadiz region, said she had visited the beach at Zahara de los Atunes and seen the damage for herself.

She said the bleach "killed everything on the ground, nothing is seen, not even insects".

The beach and its dunes are protected breeding and nesting places for migratory birds and Ms Iglesias said she had seen at least one nest with eggs destroyed by the tractors.

/.../

Local official Agustín Conejo admitted it was "a wrong move".

"I admit that it was a mistake, it was done with the best intention," he said.

Mr Conejo said they had wanted to protect children who were coming to see the sea after six weeks in confinement.

The Andalusian regional government is now considering fining the local authority for its action, El Pais newspaper reports.

Greenpeace in Spain drew a comparison with controversial statements by US President Donald Trump, who suggested that injecting patients with disinfectant might help treat coronavirus.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-52471208?fbclid=IwAR1PCaFKu4ikSvxhfBqvHA660RC6dRl_krBeaJmhPh5TllmyQeoDWybTjU8
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    Dude you HAD to ruin it?
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    pjl44 said:
    mace1229 said:
    pjl44 said:
    pjhawks said:
    Great article here.   Virus more common but less deadly than expected.   Should be able to open up for those healthy and those 45 and under almost anytime.

https://www.outkickthecoverage.com/studies-coronavirus-less-deadly-more-common-than-experts-believed/
    I'd be skeptical of Clay Travis. For starters, the study he's leaning on has been pretty heavily criticized. 

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/04/antibody-surveys-suggesting-vast-undercount-coronavirus-infections-may-be-unreliable#

And he was one of those flu-is-more-dangerous guys.

Why is that a negative? The WHO said for a month it doesn’t spread person to person. We were told until about a month ago don’t bother wearing a mask. Even the top people in the world believe that, so why is that a knock on someone?
    Because I think the WHO has also been particularly bad in their leadership. And the masks-don't-work "noble lie" was a bad moment that sows distrust at a time when we need to trust. So if I'm understanding your overall point, I would say that I lump your examples in with Clay Travis as all net negatives.
    I am tired of hearing the "they said masks don't work" line.  Everybody who follows decent sources and actually reads into things knew all along that the reason was to prevent hoarding of masks because that was the reason given.  The fact that they aren't proven to protect from catching was the justification to calm people.  It wasn't a "noble lie" it was people with access to information not knowing shit about shit, as usual.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,331
    So yesterday was the deadliest day so far in the US with about 2,900 dead. And it looks like most states are opening things back up. 

I'm sure everything will go fine.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/02/who-us-just-reported-deadliest-day-for-coronavirus.html
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,405
    dignin said:
    So yesterday was the deadliest day so far in the US with about 2,900 dead. And it looks like most states are opening things back up. 

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/02/who-us-just-reported-deadliest-day-for-coronavirus.html
    Ridiculous.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,135
    dignin said:

It’s like Pearl Harbor happening everyday if you look back we’ve had over 2k dead everyday for a bit , yet we have an administration that wants everyone to be ok with it unreal!
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

hide

He invented the Rick Roll. Since you've asked you are required to watch the entire video at maximum volume. Cute dog

In an attempt at all fairness and open mindedness, I tried watching the whole video and would have except that it cut off  for some reason at 2:07.  I recognize the song.  Probably heard it in a department store somewhere. 

I make a habit of never referring to any music as "bad" music and I certainly won't do that here.  But to be honest, I'm feeling the strong need to go listen to something else, STAT!  :lol: 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

dignin said:

dignin said:

It’s like Pearl Harbor happening everyday if you look back we’ve had over 2k dead everyday for a bit , yet we have an administration that wants everyone to be ok with it unreal!

I think a lot of these jokers incorrectly remember the quote as saying, "Give me liberty or give me death, no matter how fucking stupid the decision to take risks may be." 

This doesn't mean I don't understand the frustration of being shut down, of not having a business, of having your business doors closed for weeks and now months on end, etc.   Pretty much everyone knows my story that way.  But I'd rather be without a job and little income than dead.  The situation sucks, but being dead or putting ones family, friends and loved ones at risk sucks worse.

• pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,114
    rgambs said:
    pjl44 said:
    mace1229 said:
    pjl44 said:
    pjhawks said:
    Great article here.   Virus more common but less deadly than expected.   Should be able to open up for those healthy and those 45 and under almost anytime.

https://www.outkickthecoverage.com/studies-coronavirus-less-deadly-more-common-than-experts-believed/
    I'd be skeptical of Clay Travis. For starters, the study he's leaning on has been pretty heavily criticized. 

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/04/antibody-surveys-suggesting-vast-undercount-coronavirus-infections-may-be-unreliable#

Why is that a negative? The WHO said for a month it doesn’t spread person to person. We were told until about a month ago don’t bother wearing a mask. Even the top people in the world believe that, so why is that a knock on someone?
    Because I think the WHO has also been particularly bad in their leadership. And the masks-don't-work "noble lie" was a bad moment that sows distrust at a time when we need to trust. So if I'm understanding your overall point, I would say that I lump your examples in with Clay Travis as all net negatives.
    I am tired of hearing the "they said masks don't work" line.  Everybody who follows decent sources and actually reads into things knew all along that the reason was to prevent hoarding of masks because that was the reason given.  The fact that they aren't proven to protect from catching was the justification to calm people.  It wasn't a "noble lie" it was people with access to information not knowing shit about shit, as usual.
    I don't feel like we're actually that far off so I'm fine to go with your assessment 
    Haha!  You go, grandma! 

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,312
    Haha.. awesome
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,253
    pjl44 said:
    mace1229 said:
    pjl44 said:
    pjhawks said:

My point was why mock someone for not understanding covid when no one did for weeks or even months? Not even the smartest doctors in the world. I was one of those it’s just a flu guys because even dr Fauci said we have nothing to worry about. So when the craze hit 2 weeks later I didn’t buy it at first.
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,253
    rgambs said:
    pjl44 said:
    mace1229 said:
    pjl44 said:
    pjhawks said:

I don’t think people were calling it a lie, just pointing out they were wrong. I only pointed that out because I see a lot of people calling other people stupid for  not believing certain things about the virus. 
    things change everyday with the information being out out
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 38,211
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • 23scidoo23scidoo Posts: 19,075

Each infected Swedish now infects 0.85 others.

The public health statistics show that Sweden's R-figure has been below 1.0 since April 21.

- If it is below 1.0, not every person infects another one, which means that the pandemic will gradually ebb, says state epidemiologist Anders Tegnell to SVT News.
    Today is the last day of lockdown..the state here said the same, if we keep it under 1.0, we are fine..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

hide

In an attempt at all fairness and open mindedness, I tried watching the whole video and would have except that it cut off  for some reason at 2:07.  I recognize the song.  Probably heard it in a department store somewhere. 

I make a habit of never referring to any music as "bad" music and I certainly won't do that here.  But to be honest, I'm feeling the strong need to go listen to something else, STAT!  :lol: 

Well I enjoyed it and even danced like a clairvoyant a bit!
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,331
    23scidoo said:

Each infected Swedish now infects 0.85 others.

The public health statistics show that Sweden's R-figure has been below 1.0 since April 21.

- If it is below 1.0, not every person infects another one, which means that the pandemic will gradually ebb, says state epidemiologist Anders Tegnell to SVT News.
    Today is the last day of lockdown..the state here said the same, if we keep it under 1.0, we are fine..

I'd be careful believing any estimated stats are accurate. To assume we have kept R under 1 when this spread from central china to the rest of the planet in a little over a month gives me pause 
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Posts: 10,659
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

hide

Try this version...

https://youtu.be/IdkCEioCp24
    edited May 2020

Former Chief Scientist reveals coronavirus “is going on all around us"

The former Swedish chief epidemiologist Johan Giesecke says he will be “watching with interest” how Australia comes out of lockdown, as he questions the effectiveness of the draconian measures implemented to prevent the spread of the deadly coronavirus.

https://youtu.be/H2TEOnOnHVM

Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,114
    mace1229 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mace1229 said:
    pjl44 said:
    pjhawks said:

My point was why mock someone for not understanding covid when no one did for weeks or even months? Not even the smartest doctors in the world. I was one of those it’s just a flu guys because even dr Fauci said we have nothing to worry about. So when the craze hit 2 weeks later I didn’t buy it at first.
    In the case of Clay Travis, he's continued to be wrong though. And it's not his background. You could forgive a college football blogger for not understanding it early on, but the post that started the whole thing was him drawing conclusions from a bad study.
This discussion has been closed.