The coronavirus

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,588
    jeffbr said:
    brianlux said:
    Watching the noon news today, they were showing thousands of people congratulating in close quarters, many without masks, in a non-permitted protest demanding to end restrictions and open businesses.  I support the right to protest- that is an important concept of democracy- but I can't understand how foolish these people are putting themselves and others at risk. 

At the end of hiss daily COVID-19 update today, during the question and answer period Governor Newsom was asked to respond to the protests and he really kept his cool, emphasizing the good work that has been done to flatten the curve in this state, reminding people that this is not a partisan issue, that we're all affected by it.  He kept his cool so amazingly well.  I would not be able to do that.  Newsom is working hard in the best interest of residents of this state.  Yet people call him a tyrant and and ego maniac.  Where do they get that?  They must not be following the updates.  I get go damned pissed off by fools who don't practice safe measures around this virus.  How the hell can people be so stupid?  I don't get it.
    The one in Huntington Beach? I just saw that on the news as well. Massive number of people, no masks, no social distancing. Orange County should see another spike in a couple of weeks.

Yes, Jeff, Huntington Beach and now today on the steps of the state Capitol:

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,062

Each infected Swedish now infects 0.85 others.

The public health statistics show that Sweden's R-figure has been below 1.0 since April 21.

- If it is below 1.0, not every person infects another one, which means that the pandemic will gradually ebb, says state epidemiologist Anders Tegnell to SVT News.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,114
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,946
    First time since this started that I am actually tempted to break the chains a bit.  My 2 buddies that I always play guitar with on Friday nights (pre-Covid) are getting together to jam tonight.  It will be in one of their garages, door open for air flow, 6 feet apart, etc.  They've both been following the rules like I have, but at the end of the day, we all make occasional visits to essential stores, etc. and one works in a hospital, so you can never know 100%.  I'm really tempted to go hang for a bit, as safely as possible, but even with all the precautions it still feels irresponsible in some ways.  This virus blows.  It makes something this simple seem so difficult.
    bbiggs said:
    First time since this started that I am actually tempted to break the chains a bit.  My 2 buddies that I always play guitar with on Friday nights (pre-Covid) are getting together to jam tonight.  It will be in one of their garages, door open for air flow, 6 feet apart, etc.  They've both been following the rules like I have, but at the end of the day, we all make occasional visits to essential stores, etc. and one works in a hospital, so you can never know 100%.  I'm really tempted to go hang for a bit, as safely as possible, but even with all the precautions it still feels irresponsible in some ways.  This virus blows.  It makes something this simple seem so difficult.
    Sounds reasonable to me. Easy to manage distance with 3 people. Unless you get drunk and start hugging.
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,946
    pjl44 said:
    bbiggs said:
    Sounds reasonable to me. Easy to manage distance with 3 people. Unless you get drunk and start hugging.
    LOL.  We already established air hugs only.

• gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 Posts: 23,035
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    I love that her shirt says "moose"
    That too is classic , I’ll never ever touch a gas handle without gloves again for the rest of my life! 
    Luckily in New Jersey we don't pump our own gas!!!

You serious?  So how does that work?  I imagine the price at the pump is higher to offset the added expense.  Do you have to tip them?
    Oh heck no. I pull up to the gas station, give them my card and tell them to fill it regular.  That is it.  I paid $1.89 for regular yesterday.  
    Your car takes regular?  Is it a 78 Nova?
    I always put regular in my car.  Are you a 93 guy?  
    Nah, you're probably not old enough to remember 'regular' meant leaded back in the day.  You'd say "fill it up with regular" to the attendant, vs "unleaded". 
    Aaaah I did not know that.  lol.  
    Old man joke...
    Im not old,  I'm 47. You could have called me Dennis. 
    "i didn't know you were called dennis."
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
    brianlux said:
    jeffbr said:
    brianlux said:
    Watching the noon news today, they were showing thousands of people congratulating in close quarters, many without masks, in a non-permitted protest demanding to end restrictions and open businesses.  I support the right to protest- that is an important concept of democracy- but I can't understand how foolish these people are putting themselves and others at risk. 

At the end of hiss daily COVID-19 update today, during the question and answer period Governor Newsom was asked to respond to the protests and he really kept his cool, emphasizing the good work that has been done to flatten the curve in this state, reminding people that this is not a partisan issue, that we're all affected by it.  He kept his cool so amazingly well.  I would not be able to do that.  Newsom is working hard in the best interest of residents of this state.  Yet people call him a tyrant and and ego maniac.  Where do they get that?  They must not be following the updates.  I get go damned pissed off by fools who don't practice safe measures around this virus.  How the hell can people be so stupid?  I don't get it.
    The one in Huntington Beach? I just saw that on the news as well. Massive number of people, no masks, no social distancing. Orange County should see another spike in a couple of weeks.

theres that yellow chickenhawk flag again.

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,312
    brianlux said:
    jeffbr said:
    brianlux said:

A vocal minority... f them..

https://thehill.com/homenews/the-memo/495573-the-memo-the-surprising-popularity-of-the-great-lockdown
    bbiggs said:

pjl44 said:
    bbiggs said:

Same here, b.  Sounds like you guys have it figured out how to be safe.

My sister is too far away right now to visit, but she has friends in her area who come over to visit in her yard.  She sets up chairs, leaves that gate open, asks them to bring their own snacks and beverages, and they come over and visit.  Seems reasonable to me. 

If you do it, have a great time!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

hey! don't tread on me, or else!!!

or else what?

ummm wouldn't you like to know?

brianlux said:
    jeffbr said:
    brianlux said:

theres that yellow chickenhawk flag again.

Yeah, and I noticed on the news and in this news photo above a flag with the stripes but no stars- the one just right of center.  Wonder what that is about?

I thought it was very cool that Governor Newsom talked about respecting peoples' right to protest.  He just simply asked them to do so safely (which these people were not doing) and went on to talk about how people who work together across party lines to help deal with this virus, and who do what is right to slow down the spread of the virus- that they are true patriots.  He didn't bad mouth the protesters but, instead, praised the true patriots.  Smart man, that gov.!  Me, I would have called the protesters idiots.  But I ain't no politician, haha!

• josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,135
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    I've been going to work every day in a non-retail environment.  Things seem pretty normal once you follow rules.  A lot of it really depends on yourself and your ability to follow proper protocol and make sound judgement.  I kind of hope that the measures we are taking catch on once this pandemic fades as it should keep us more healthy in general.  
  • Mike D88Mike D88 Posts: 723
    https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/05/nih-cuts-coronavirus-funding-amid-trump-comments-and-conspiracy-theories/
    Researchers expressed alarm this week after the National Institutes of Health abruptly cancelled funding for a long-standing research project by US and Chinese scientists to examine how coronaviruses leap from bats to humans, potentially causing devastating pandemics—such as the one we are currently experiencing by a coronavirus genetically linked to those found in bats.
    The NIH has not provided a clear explanation for its move to cancel the funds, which occurred April 24 and was first reported by Politico Monday, April 27. However, in emails exchanges published April 30 by Science magazine, it is clear that the NIH was motivated by conspiracy theories that allege—without evidence—that the virus was somehow released by Chinese researchers in Wuhan, the central Chinese city where the pandemic began.
    The project had generated at least 20 published research studies and several genetic sequences of bat coronaviruses, some of which have been used to help vet remdesivir, a potential drug therapy against COVID-19.
    Still, the unfounded idea has continued, reportedly with pressure from the Trump Administration to find evidence to substantiate it. Trump said on Thursday that he had seen evidence that SARS-CoV-2 came from WIV but was “not allowed” to say more.

Hint: The President is absolutely allowed to say more, and it has never stopped him in the past. It's telling that he chose to lie about his authority instead.
    i-Brzk3Rdjpg
    2008 Tampa - 2013 Buffalo - 2016 Tampa - 2016 Fenway II
    Audioslave 2005 MSG
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,253
    pjl44 said:
    pjhawks said:
    Great article here.   Virus more common but less deadly than expected.   Should be able to open up for those healthy and those 45 and under almost anytime.

https://www.outkickthecoverage.com/studies-coronavirus-less-deadly-more-common-than-experts-believed/
    I'd be skeptical of Clay Travis. For starters, the study he's leaning on has been pretty heavily criticized. 

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/04/antibody-surveys-suggesting-vast-undercount-coronavirus-infections-may-be-unreliable#

And he was one of those flu-is-more-dangerous guys.

Why is that a negative? The WHO said for a month it doesn’t spread person to person. We were told until about a month ago don’t bother wearing a mask. Even the top people in the world believe that, so why is that a knock on someone?
  • Mike D88Mike D88 Posts: 723
    edited May 2020
    The WHO did not say it doesn't spread from person to person. In early January it said there was no evidence yet that it did, because there wasn't.

January 8:
    “More comprehensive information is required to confirm the pathogen, as well as to better understand the... modes of transmission...”

January 12:
    “At this stage, there is no infection among healthcare workers, and no clear evidence of human to human transmission.”

January 14:
    “From the information that we have it is possible that there is limited human-to-human transmission, potentially among families, but it is very clear right now that we have no sustained human-to-human transmission.” [keyword sustained]

January 22:
    “We are in agreement with Chinese authorities who have been clear and transparent that there is evidence of human-to-human transmission.”

The issue here is people not understanding simple logical concepts, like absence of evidence != evidence of absence.

(I'll also note here that the timeline above doesn't even work out as far as any claim being repeated "for a month")

i-Brzk3Rdjpg
    2008 Tampa - 2013 Buffalo - 2016 Tampa - 2016 Fenway II
    Audioslave 2005 MSG
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 38,211
    Mike D88 said:
    The WHO did not say it doesn't spread from person to person. In early January it said there was no evidence yet that it did, because there wasn't.

January 8:
    “More comprehensive information is required to confirm the pathogen, as well as to better understand the... modes of transmission...”

January 12:
    “At this stage, there is no infection among healthcare workers, and no clear evidence of human to human transmission.”

January 14:
    “From the information that we have it is possible that there is limited human-to-human transmission, potentially among families, but it is very clear right now that we have no sustained human-to-human transmission.” [keyword sustained]

January 22:
    “We are in agreement with Chinese authorities who have been clear and transparent that there is evidence of human-to-human transmission.”

The issue here is people not understanding simple logical concepts, like absence of evidence != evidence of absence.

(I'll also note here that the timeline above doesn't even work out as far as any claim being repeated "for a month")

Except if you’re Team Trump Treason and might have known at the end of November but didn’t want to cancel Christmas and decided there’d be an Easter miracle. What better way to appeal to the evangelical base?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,253
    edited May 2020
    Mike D88 said:

January 8:

January 12:

January 14:

January 22:

I understand your evidence of absence.  But Isn’t saying there’s no evidence of human to human transfer implying that you believe it doesn’t transfer that way? Seems like you’re splitting hairs here. They wouldn’t make that statement unless they wanted to calm fears and make people think it doesn’t transfer human to human because that’s what they believed.
    If I were a public official with the whole world looking to me for answers I wouldn’t announce something like “there’s no evidence that suggests this virus doesn’t spread person to person” and then backpedal and say “we’ll I never said there was evidence that says it doesn’t either, so bad on you.”
    They didn’t think it transferred human to human until the end of January.
    They didn’t even think masks were helpful until what like a months ago. I was just saying in response to the comment putting down someone because he thought the flu was worse. They got it things wrong was all I was saying. Do you disagree with that?
    Even in mid-late January dr Fauci was saying this virus was nothing to worry about, I would infer at that time he thought the flu was worse too.
    Post edited by mace1229 on
    edited May 2020
    Sports holiday (february holiday) trips to Italy have long been said to have been a major reason for the spread of infection in Sweden. But that picture is not shared by state epidemiologist Anders Tegnell.

"When we look back now, it is not the Italian travelers that we consider being the introduction in Sweden, but all the other traveling during the sports holiday," he says in Ekots Saturday interview.

Instead, the infection mainly came from travelers who visited several other countries, such as Austria, the United Kingdom and the United States.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,119

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • RenfieldRenfield Posts: 1,054
    JimmyV said:
    Me too! But look at what he’s wearing...daddy jeans... so dated :)
    mrussel1 said:
    I don't agree about it sucking. I think it is a great song, sung by a lovely person.

https://youtu.be/IdkCEioCp24
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 38,211
    This guy is really overcompensating. You go Michigan.

09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,312
    mrussel1 said:
    I don't agree about it sucking. I think it is a great song, sung by a lovely person.

The Foos stuff was great.  You can always count on Grohl to not take himself too seriously.  I love it. 
  • RenfieldRenfield Posts: 1,054
    mrussel1 said:

https://youtu.be/IdkCEioCp24
    Love this. This is super cool!
    edited May 2020
    mace1229 said:
    pjl44 said:
    pjhawks said:
    Great article here.   Virus more common but less deadly than expected.   Should be able to open up for those healthy and those 45 and under almost anytime.

https://www.outkickthecoverage.com/studies-coronavirus-less-deadly-more-common-than-experts-believed/
    I'd be skeptical of Clay Travis. For starters, the study he's leaning on has been pretty heavily criticized. 

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/04/antibody-surveys-suggesting-vast-undercount-coronavirus-infections-may-be-unreliable#

And he was one of those flu-is-more-dangerous guys.

Why is that a negative? The WHO said for a month it doesn’t spread person to person. We were told until about a month ago don’t bother wearing a mask. Even the top people in the world believe that, so why is that a knock on someone?
    Because I think the WHO has also been particularly bad in their leadership. And the masks-don't-work "noble lie" was a bad moment that sows distrust at a time when we need to trust. So if I'm understanding your overall point, I would say that I lump your examples in with Clay Travis as all net negatives.

This discussion has been closed.