mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    I love that her shirt says "moose"
    That too is classic , I’ll never ever touch a gas handle without gloves again for the rest of my life! 
    Luckily in New Jersey we don't pump our own gas!!!

You serious?  So how does that work?  I imagine the price at the pump is higher to offset the added expense.  Do you have to tip them?
    Oh heck no. I pull up to the gas station, give them my card and tell them to fill it regular.  That is it.  I paid $1.89 for regular yesterday.  
    Your car takes regular?  Is it a 78 Nova?
    I always put regular in my car.  Are you a 93 guy?  
    Nah, you're probably not old enough to remember 'regular' meant leaded back in the day.  You'd say "fill it up with regular" to the attendant, vs "unleaded". 
    Aaaah I did not know that.  lol.  
    Fucking kids these days...
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,312
    https://twitter.com/complex/status/1255634158916907009?s=21
    This should make everyone in Georgia feel really safe out on the roads 😂
    We don't have one in Virginia.  You have to have 40 documented hours,  including 10 at night.  Six months with a learner and pass driving school.  But there is no road test at the end. 
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,588
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    That too is classic , I’ll never ever touch a gas handle without gloves again for the rest of my life! 

You serious?  So how does that work?  I imagine the price at the pump is higher to offset the added expense.  Do you have to tip them?
    Oh heck no. I pull up to the gas station, give them my card and tell them to fill it regular.  That is it.  I paid $1.89 for regular yesterday.  
    Wait what?!?  Is that a law in NJ???  That's crazy....
    It is a law.  NJ residents are not allowed to pump their own gas.  You can get fined if you do.  No joke. 

Same thing in Oregon.  I always thought that was cool when we went up to Medford to visit my folks.  Pull in, ask them to fill it with regular, pay less than here in California. (Everyone pays less than here in California, lol.)
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,424
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Nah, you're probably not old enough to remember 'regular' meant leaded back in the day.  You'd say "fill it up with regular" to the attendant, vs "unleaded". 
    Regular is still used but changed to octane now that there is no leaded gasoline. Up here regular gas is 87 octane. 
  • They call unleaded basic here regular but I remember when leaded was regular as well.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,114
    I've never injected regular, but I often chug unleaded
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,752
    edited April 2020
    https://twitter.com/complex/status/1255634158916907009?s=21
    This should make everyone in Georgia feel really safe out on the roads 😂
    Scary shit right there. That Gov is either stupid or nuts.

No test to drive a car and go ahead and go to the Restaurants, Hair Salons, and get a  massage.
    Post edited by cutz on
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,424
    He just wants to make sure traffic accidents get their share of the headlines. Don’t want Covid getting all the glory.
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,135
    DewieCox said:
    He just wants to make sure traffic accidents get their share of the headlines. Don’t want Covid getting all the glory.
    Fact 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,946
    bbiggs said:
    That's crazy, but kind of nice at the same point.  Our Governor is trying to pass the same in IL and everyone is up in arms.  He's also trying to tax us harder at the pump, so that plays into it.  I've always pumped my own gas so it would take some getting used to, but the more I think of it, the more I think I would like it!
    Yeah it’s better than touching the handle with ass cheese all over it just to name one of the disgusting things that are on those handles ..
    Haha absolutely! Give me touchless everything and I’m a happy man! 
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:
    That's crazy, but kind of nice at the same point.  Our Governor is trying to pass the same in IL and everyone is up in arms.  He's also trying to tax us harder at the pump, so that plays into it.  I've always pumped my own gas so it would take some getting used to, but the more I think of it, the more I think I would like it!
    Yeah it’s better than touching the handle with ass cheese all over it just to name one of the disgusting things that are on those handles ..
    Haha absolutely! Give me touchless everything and I’m a happy man! 
    Me too after this there’s a lot of things that I’ll think twice before doing them..
  • SmellymanSmellyman Posts: 4,524
    mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Love it.  Same in Oregon.  All those crappy days not having to leave the car.  Drive into Washington and sit there waiting to get filled up, but no, I have to get out and do this myself?  The horror.

In Taiwan you don't fill either.
    https://apple.news/AmoUOpk7eSdqpPNPemDP0cg
    So numbers could be higher ughh 
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,516
    JPPJ84 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Why is there so much discussion on Sweden?
    We are seen as an outlier in the handling of this pandemic, mainly because:

- We have not closed down our schools.
    - We have not closed our stores, pubs or restaurants. 
    - We have not closed our borders
    - We are not being forced or asked to wear facemasks
    - There has not been an ordered lockdown, but instead we are asked to limit our social contacts, to wash our hands, to stay home from work with any symptoms (paid sickleave from the government from the first day), limit our travel, to work from home if possible, to not gather in groups of bigger than 50 people.

Etc.

(if your question was honest, and not sarcastic) 
    Yes I know that:
    1. You're Swedish so you understandably like to discuss Sweden.  Although you're not a member of Kiss, yet that seems to be discussed more.  
    2. I am interested in the Swedish model as that gives us an interesting test against the 'control' of social distancing and shelter orders.  
    3. However, the amount of posts seem disproportionate

I checked out of this thread for about 2k posts and then came back.  I was all Corona, all the time at work for about a month so the last thing I wanted was leisure reading to be about the same.  But we're now ramping business back up so I thought I'd come back on, and it's dominated by Sweden.  I was trying to see if something new was afoot, but it seems like BAU around here.  Carry on.  

BTW - I know you were worried about your mother early on.  Is she (and other vulnerable members of society) generally practicing social distancing like other countries?
    Yes. She is. She takes the bus to work, but I'm trying to make her take the bike instead. She tries to visit the supermarket when it is less crowded and she told me yesterday on the phone that people were pretty good at keeping distances in that store, and following recommendations and signs being put up about keeping distance etc. And I mean, her being fired from her job is because social distancing works -- no one is going to the galleria, or visiting the restaurant she works at in the galleria.

There were reports early (don't know if this was a general sign or just newspapers being newspapers) about old people not taking it seriously. But the public health agency did stress the importance for people over 70 to avoid social contacts. And have not seen anything lately reported about it.

And a moment ago my mom called me and said her bosses at the restaurant are gonna try to cancel the terminations that are in place (my moms last day was to be in two weeks), and instead try to power through it with the help government can give and without having to fire any in the staff. There are good people in the world it seems. So if that works it would be amazzzinnnggggggggggggggg.
    Glad she is doing okay.  And yeah, you need to convince her to stay off the bus.  It's spring in Sweden!  I assume she wears masks when out?  Is that step taken by most citizens?
    Only people wearing masks here are of asian descent, and is bringing that custom over. Saw an old white man in a mask too, but he was not practising any social distancing so don't know what his thinking was. 

We are not recommended wearing masks in public because there is not enough science backing it having any real effect.  According to the experts here.

Now I'm off to celebrate Valborg "Walpurgis Night". 

It usually looks like this.

This might have been the scene at Royal Farms Arena had PJ opened with the red hot SBWM.

• Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    I'm not hearing much about ventilators in the news recently so I'm assuming the supply has met the demand or the demand has reduced to meet the supply.  

• brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,588
    Jason P said:
    I'm not hearing much about ventilators in the news recently so I'm assuming the supply has met the demand or the demand has reduced to meet the supply.  

Good point Jason.  I hadn't thought of it but, yeah, that must be the case.  Hopefully that's good news.  That was a huge deal just weeks ago. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

brianlux said:
    Jason P said:

Good point Jason.  I hadn't thought of it but, yeah, that must be the case.  Hopefully that's good news.  That was a huge deal just weeks ago. 
    Here in this hospital we have started seeing a slowdown in intubation of patients and units that were all covid patients have now gone back to being regular patients floor..
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,405
    brianlux said:
    Jason P said:

Here in this hospital we have started seeing a slowdown in intubation of patients and units that were all covid patients have now gone back to being regular patients floor..
    That's encouraging! Hope you're doing well, man! 
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,114
    As an asymptomatic cropduster, this is a huge relief

mfc2006 said:
    brianlux said:
    Jason P said:

That's encouraging! Hope you're doing well, man! 
    As good as can be anxiety has been way better walking into work , things seem to be headed in the right direction..thanks
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,387

If flu deaths were counted like COVID-19 deaths, the worst recent flu season evidently killed 15,620 Americans

The U.S. now has more than 63,000 confirmed COVID-19 deaths, and most experts say that's almost certainly an undercount. Still, if you compare that number to the 2017-18 flu season, which the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimates killed 61,000 people, it looks like COVID-19 might be similar to a bad flu — President Trump has made this point, as have many conservative media personalities. But the data so far show that this new coronavirus is much more lethal than the flu, and Dr. Jeremy Samuel Faust has an explanation.

Faust, a Harvard Medical School instructor and emergency physician at Brigham & Women's Hospital in Boston, wrote in Scientific American that he started wondering about the flu-to-COVID comparisons when it occurred to him that in nearly eight years of hospital work, "I had almost never seen anyone die of the flu." Neither had any of the colleagues he called around the country. So he did some research, and this is what he found:

The 25,000 to 69,000 numbers that Trump cited do not represent counted flu deaths per year; they are estimates that the CDC produces by multiplying the number of flu death counts reported by various coefficients produced through complicated algorithms. These coefficients are based on assumptions of how many cases, hospitalizations, and deaths they believe went unreported. In the last six flu seasons, the CDC's reported number of actual confirmed flu deaths — that is, counting flu deaths the way we are currently counting deaths from the coronavirus — has ranged from 3,448 to 15,620. [Jeremy Faust, Scientific American]

So in an apples-to-apples comparison, matching the second week of April's COVID-19 deaths to the worst week of the past seven flu seasons, "the novel coronavirus killed between 9.5 and 44 times more people than seasonal flu," Faust writes.

The entire article can be found here (I gave you the yahoo condensed article):

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/comparing-covid-19-deaths-to-flu-deaths-is-like-comparing-apples-to-oranges/

I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    mcgruff10 said:

If flu deaths were counted like COVID-19 deaths, the worst recent flu season evidently killed 15,620 Americans

The U.S. now has more than 63,000 confirmed COVID-19 deaths, and most experts say that's almost certainly an undercount. Still, if you compare that number to the 2017-18 flu season, which the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimates killed 61,000 people, it looks like COVID-19 might be similar to a bad flu — President Trump has made this point, as have many conservative media personalities. But the data so far show that this new coronavirus is much more lethal than the flu, and Dr. Jeremy Samuel Faust has an explanation.

Faust, a Harvard Medical School instructor and emergency physician at Brigham & Women's Hospital in Boston, wrote in Scientific American that he started wondering about the flu-to-COVID comparisons when it occurred to him that in nearly eight years of hospital work, "I had almost never seen anyone die of the flu." Neither had any of the colleagues he called around the country. So he did some research, and this is what he found:

The 25,000 to 69,000 numbers that Trump cited do not represent counted flu deaths per year; they are estimates that the CDC produces by multiplying the number of flu death counts reported by various coefficients produced through complicated algorithms. These coefficients are based on assumptions of how many cases, hospitalizations, and deaths they believe went unreported. In the last six flu seasons, the CDC's reported number of actual confirmed flu deaths — that is, counting flu deaths the way we are currently counting deaths from the coronavirus — has ranged from 3,448 to 15,620. [Jeremy Faust, Scientific American]

So in an apples-to-apples comparison, matching the second week of April's COVID-19 deaths to the worst week of the past seven flu seasons, "the novel coronavirus killed between 9.5 and 44 times more people than seasonal flu," Faust writes.

The entire article can be found here (I gave you the yahoo condensed article):

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/comparing-covid-19-deaths-to-flu-deaths-is-like-comparing-apples-to-oranges/

Include with that, Florida is deliberately under reporting deaths.  https://www.tampabay.com/news/health/2020/04/29/florida-medical-examiners-were-releasing-coronavirus-death-data-the-state-made-them-stop/?ads=b&utm_expid=.OkR8_rI9TJCniE4SYU689w.2&utm_referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F
    @mrussel1 why the heck would they do that?  To make people feel more safe in order to open back up?
    mcgruff10 said:
    @mrussel1 why the heck would they do that?  To make people feel more safe in order to open back up?
    Remember Desantis was very late to close and fought it.  He is subject to substantial criticism.  
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Remember Desantis was very late to close and fought it.  He is subject to substantial criticism.  
    That's right.  Good call.
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    And he's Trump's pet Governor.  He mimics Trump's belligerence and struts the same inadequate overcompensating imitation of a tough guy.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,412
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Fucking kids these days...
    Reminds me of a story...probably around 1985 I worked at a pizza place delivering pizza.  Back then pizza joints owned their delivery vehicles...you probably remember the Chevette's that Domino's used to have?  LaGrande Pizza had similar chevette's

anyway....when we were out delivering we would often stop to get gas and were told to use the cash from our cash bag and just put the gas receipt in the bag for the manager to deal with when we were done.  

Common sense would tell you that you would get the cheapest gas....self serve unleaded, etc.

They hired this new kid to deliver and at the end of the night the manager was bitching him out because he went to the full service pump and got premium gas in the chevette.  That was hilarious....fucking idiot.

This is the same kid that a few weeks later ate some of the pizza he was delivering.  We used to cut the pizza in squares and the customer called and said some pieces were missing.  
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
    rgambs said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    And he's Trump's pet Governor.  He mimics Trump's belligerence and struts the same inadequate overcompensating imitation of a tough guy.
    That's exactly right.  He did what Trump didn't have the courage to do (or had the brains not to do).  
    I just had antibody test done here at work available for all employees..
    I just had antibody test done here at work available for all employees..
    how long does it take to get results?
This discussion has been closed.