The coronavirus

Comments

• cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,316
    cincybearcat said:

I knew these vaccines would be discovered and approved way earlier than 12-18 months.  That was just talking normal vaccines in an abnormal world.
    What normal vaccines take 12-18 months to develop? I _believe_ Giesecke said that 18 months would pretty much be a world record in getting a vaccine out. I'm no vaccine expert, what normal vaccines take 12-18 months?
    I was using the wording that was said and written at the beginning of this by medical professionals. 12-18 months.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,312
    pjl44 said:
    I saw that too.  I thought the Gilead study had failed and it was going back to the drawing board.  Their stock surged then tanked in the course of a week. 
  • mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    I saw that too.  I thought the Gilead study had failed and it was going back to the drawing board.  Their stock surged then tanked in the course of a week. 
    Buy/sell action should be interesting.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Posts: 10,659
    Idiot....

Kushner predicts much of the country will be 'back to normal' in June. https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/495212-kushner-predicts-much-of-the-country-will-be-back-to-normal-in-june
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,114
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    Their study in China ended early because of low enrollment. So naturally the WHO accidentally posted results on their website before quickly taking them down. Their ineptitude continues.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/04/23/who-gilead-coronavirus-drug-204749
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    Their study in China ended early because of low enrollment. So naturally the WHO accidentally posted results on their website before quickly taking them down. Their ineptitude continues.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/04/23/who-gilead-coronavirus-drug-204749
    aha...thanks.  I never saw this follow up.  
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,114
    As a side note, for those following remdesivir trials, there are several going on at once. It can get confusing so check which is which. The one being discussed today is big because it is a double-blind, placebo-controlled study, so we'll be able to get a good look at efficacy data. There's a previous one (I think Univ of Chicago?) that only looked at comparing a 5-day course of therapy to 10. Each one can tell you a little something different. 
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,135
    At the height of this crisis here in this hospital there was 156 patients on ventilators today we are @119 , stay safe everyone 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,062
    edited April 2020

When the WHO today held its press conference, the question was raised about the Swedish model and World Health Organization Director General Mike Ryan highlighted it as a possible future strategy for other countries.

- I think if we are to get back to a normal state, Sweden could be a future model. If we want communities without closures, then societies around the world may have to adapt to a different physical and social distance for longer periods. It means changes in how we live our lives and in Sweden they investigate how this works in real time, he says and continues:

- There may be things we others can learn from our colleagues in Sweden. At the same time, I would like to emphasize that Sweden has not avoided controlling covid-19, but it has done so in a very strong way throughout society. What is different is that they trust their residents to implement the physical distance, now it remains to be seen if it has succeeded, says Mike Ryan.

Mike Ryan also pointed out the high death rates Sweden has had in nursing homes and elderly homes.

- It is tragically enough an experience similar to many other countries in Europe and something we all need to look into, how we best protect our elderly.

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    So an opinion now with no data to back it up is ok, but data now is too early?

Cause remember:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/28/europe/sweden-coronavirus-lockdown-strategy-intl/index.html

hippiemom = goodness
    edited April 2020
    So an opinion now with no data to back it up is ok, but data now is too early?

Cause remember:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/28/europe/sweden-coronavirus-lockdown-strategy-intl/index.html

I've actually read that article, have you? The conclusion isn't as binary as you are painting it out to be. Or what you would believe from just reading the headline or just looking at the pictures. 

I don't see how it disputes WHO Ryan's "data free" opinion.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    Why is there so much discussion on Sweden?
    edited April 2020
    mrussel1 said:
    We are seen as an outlier in the handling of this pandemic, mainly because:

- We have not closed down our schools.
    - We have not closed our stores, pubs or restaurants. 
    - We have not closed our borders
    - We are not being forced or asked to wear facemasks
    - There has not been an ordered lockdown, but instead we are asked to limit our social contacts, to wash our hands, to stay home from work with any symptoms (paid sickleave from the government from the first day), limit our travel, to work from home if possible, to not gather in groups of bigger than 50 people.

Etc.

(if your question was honest, and not sarcastic) 
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    mrussel1 said:

- There has not been an ordered lockdown, but instead we are asked to limit our social contacts, to wash our hands, to stay home from work with any symptoms (paid sickleave from the government from the first day), limit our travel, to work from home if possible, to not gather in groups of bigger than 50 people.

Etc.

Yes I know that:
    1. You're Swedish so you understandably like to discuss Sweden.  Although you're not a member of Kiss, yet that seems to be discussed more.  
    2. I am interested in the Swedish model as that gives us an interesting test against the 'control' of social distancing and shelter orders.  
    3. However, the amount of posts seem disproportionate

I checked out of this thread for about 2k posts and then came back.  I was all Corona, all the time at work for about a month so the last thing I wanted was leisure reading to be about the same.  But we're now ramping business back up so I thought I'd come back on, and it's dominated by Sweden.  I was trying to see if something new was afoot, but it seems like BAU around here.  Carry on.  

BTW - I know you were worried about your mother early on.  Is she (and other vulnerable members of society) generally practicing social distancing like other countries?
    mrussel1 said:

Etc.

All that and because your fatalities per capita are currently higher.

look you are the one with the fucking stupid “redeemed” gif after an opinion article. I’ve already said we don’t yet know which path will be judged the best. But don’t pretend to be some tortured soul here.
    hippiemom = goodness
    mrussel1 said:

Etc.

look you are the one with the fucking stupid “redeemed” gif after an opinion article. I’ve already said we don’t yet know which path will be judged the best. But don’t pretend to be some tortured soul here.
    When did I pretend to be a tortured soul exactly?
    mrussel1 said:

Etc.

Yesterday....in this thread.  
    hippiemom = goodness
    edited April 2020
    mrussel1 said:

Etc.

?

I just answered mrussels question. And he seemed okey with the answer given.

I don't see the reason for your weird reaction, and lashing out at me.
    mrussel1 said:

Etc.

?

I just answered mrussels question. And he seemed okey with the answer given.

I don't see the reason for your weird reaction, and lashing out at me.
    Here we go again ;)
    hippiemom = goodness
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,587
    Trump says "distancing will fade out as deaths pass 60,000."  More deaths, less distancing.  Can somebody please explain the logic here?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• SHZASHZA Posts: 3,889
    brianlux said:
    Trump says "distancing will fade out as deaths pass 60,000."  More deaths, less distancing.  Can somebody please explain the logic here?
    Presumably the rate of deaths per day is going down enough that (they think) it's safe to ease restrictions, even though the aggregate number will always go up
    edited April 2020
    brianlux said:
    I believe the kids call that a non sequitur.  Or just straight illogical. 
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,424

This is what a lot of States will be dealing with sadly if and when we get a vaccine. 
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,946
    ^ Idiots. 
    bbiggs said:
    ^ Idiots. 
    They are, but that's on them.  Once there is a vaccine, I don't need to rely on idiots to practice smart behavior.  
  • Mike D88Mike D88 Posts: 723

The infected people who received remdesivir, an experimental drug made by Gilead Sciences that cripples an enzyme several viruses use to copy their RNA, recovered in an average of 11 days versus 15 in patients who received a placebo. ...The patients treated with remdesivir also had a lower mortality rate—8% versus 11.6% in the group given the placebo—but this positive trend did not reach statistical significance, Fauci noted.

Fauci says the board is releasing the overall results early in part on ethical grounds: Given the positive data, remdesivir must now be offered to all study participants, and trials of other treatments now underway must start offering the drug instead of a placebo, Fauci said.

The search for COVID-19 treatments that can do better than remdesivir remains a top priority.

i-Brzk3Rdjpg
    2008 Tampa - 2013 Buffalo - 2016 Tampa - 2016 Fenway II
    Audioslave 2005 MSG
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 38,206
    Everybody getting psyched to take the family down to Orlando? Airfare is cheap, planes are empty, what are you waiting for? Go on now, jump start the economy and OAA! 
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,387
    Everybody getting psyched to take the family down to Orlando? Airfare is cheap, planes are empty, what are you waiting for? Go on now, jump start the economy and OAA! 
    You and I should get adjoining rooms at the Polynesian!! I know I have five kids but it will be fun. Bro you and I chilling on “it s a small world!”   I ll buy the alcohol and you buy the range time.  ;)
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
This discussion has been closed.