The coronavirus

Comments

• josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,135
    hedonist said:
    OnWis97 said:
    Mike Pence, leading by example by not wearing a mask at a Mayo Clinic (despite a rule; they shouldn't have let him in without one).

https://twitter.com/ddiamond/status/1255193968809250823

Seriously.  Why?  My best guess is that Administration people are not supposed to wear them because of political points.  What a jackass.

If I’m that patient I’m kicking him out of my vicinity would not even think twice about I’d embarrass him what an embarrassment, he just gave the ok to all the hoax believers that it’s fine too not wear a mask! And Mayo Clinic looks really bad letting this happen..

Agreed. And Pence shouldn’t have put them in that position to begin with.

Just wear the fucking mask, ya tool!
    I just zoomed in on the picture and the man on stretcher has what looks like a hospital I’d badge it looks familiar to what I wear at work on a clip, could this just be a photo op with fake patient? 
    Probably just showing Pence an example of what they are doing.  Who knows.  I wouldn’t think they would let Pence around a sick person.
    Yes but why like he doesn’t know what a person on stretcher is lol 

jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    brianlux said:
    Mike D88 said:

Some of those look promising, thanks Mike.

I heard something that is pure gossip at this point so I'm asking if anyone knows anything verifiable about this:  I was told by someone that if a company outside the US produces a vaccine, that US big pharma wants complete control/ ownership or it won't get distributed here in the U.S.  Now PLEASE, I repeat, this is  just hearsay and I'm hoping someone hear knows the true scoop.  Thanks!
    I heard a scholar from the Wilson Center on C-Span this morning (name?) state that China will probably beat the US at developing the vaccine, giving them another significant edge as the emerging world leader right now. He also reminded viewers that about 80% of all our pharmaceuticals and medical equipment already comes from China, putting us in a dependent role. His main point was that it's stupid for us to be at polticial odds with China right now, that scientists and doctors in our two countries have always enjoyed a positive relationship. Many Chinese doctors/scientists train in the US. 

But yeah, I'm putting my money on China. 
    hedonist said:
    OnWis97 said:
    Mike Pence, leading by example by not wearing a mask at a Mayo Clinic (despite a rule; they shouldn't have let him in without one).

https://twitter.com/ddiamond/status/1255193968809250823

Seriously.  Why?  My best guess is that Administration people are not supposed to wear them because of political points.  What a jackass.

If I’m that patient I’m kicking him out of my vicinity would not even think twice about I’d embarrass him what an embarrassment, he just gave the ok to all the hoax believers that it’s fine too not wear a mask! And Mayo Clinic looks really bad letting this happen..

Agreed. And Pence shouldn’t have put them in that position to begin with.

Just wear the fucking mask, ya tool!
    Mike Pence probably gets a viral swab every morning as part of his security detail. 

I know what that sounds like 😜. But I mean it seriously.
  • Mike D88Mike D88 Posts: 723
    edited April 2020
    Well, there was that time Trump tried to secure the rights to a German vaccine for exclusive use in the US, in the far distant past known as March.

That's a good point about being at political odds with China. They were already poised to take the lead this century, and this situation accelerates that. Unfortunately, the 2020 GOP playbook is here, and it's all about going at odds with China.
    i-Brzk3Rdjpg
    2008 Tampa - 2013 Buffalo - 2016 Tampa - 2016 Fenway II
    Audioslave 2005 MSG
  • MalrothMalroth Posts: 2,512
    Wife and I are around 80 percent we had this virus in Feb.
    Week and a half of flu like symptoms with sore throat and chronic dry cough and (a little) trouble breathing.
    Wife just saw they added erectile dysfunction to the list of symptoms (which I had for two weeks)
    This confirmed it for her.

The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • PapPap Posts: 28,742
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,416
    Great article here.   Virus more common but less deadly than expected.   Should be able to open up for those healthy and those 45 and under almost anytime.

https://www.outkickthecoverage.com/studies-coronavirus-less-deadly-more-common-than-experts-believed/
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Posts: 12,844
    PJNB said:
    After several days with no new cases, New Brunswick begins the process of opening up social visits by allowing two “bubbles” to connect - ie, two households that can socialize but only with each other 

https://apple.news/A3uhNTGo2QbqFMJqUXuMV5g

Ya thankful for the ease of restrictions but how do you choose? My mom? Her mom? My sisters? Her sisters? People are breaking this rule left and right. I am hoping my wife's physio clinic can open back up in late May but the criteria for phase 3 to happen is less than 3 community spread cases that are separate. That will be near impossible to reach. 

Hard to know how to choose, but at least it's something.

When we get to this in BC, I'm sure that my parents will want to link their "bubble" with mine, but I'm going to resist. Both are in their 80s, both have underlying health conditions, and I work in an area at higher risk for exposure. They already see me in person once a week when  I drop groceries at their door, then run away and talk to them from 20 feet away, plus we have a family zoom meeting each Sunday with my brother's family and I phone them. They'll just have to accept that for a while. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Mike D88Mike D88 Posts: 723
    edited April 2020
    pjhawks said:
    Great article here.   Virus more common but less deadly than expected.   Should be able to open up for those healthy and those 45 and under almost anytime.

https://www.outkickthecoverage.com/studies-coronavirus-less-deadly-more-common-than-experts-believed/
    A couple issues I take with this, although perhaps not the general thrust (I do think we need to better understand the virus before we can go declaring certain age groups as safe):

1) The Stanford study will be DOA in peer review. Wholly disqualifying procedures.

2) These studies (including the Stanford one) that are playing in a range of zero to several percentage points are not rising above the noise floor for the antibody tests.
    i-Brzk3Rdjpg
    2008 Tampa - 2013 Buffalo - 2016 Tampa - 2016 Fenway II
    Audioslave 2005 MSG
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,114
    pjhawks said:

I'd be skeptical of Clay Travis. For starters, the study he's leaning on has been pretty heavily criticized. 

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/04/antibody-surveys-suggesting-vast-undercount-coronavirus-infections-may-be-unreliable#

And he was one of those flu-is-more-dangerous guys.

• brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,587
    brianlux said:
    Mike D88 said:

I heard something that is pure gossip at this point so I'm asking if anyone knows anything verifiable about this:  I was told by someone that if a company outside the US produces a vaccine, that US big pharma wants complete control/ ownership or it won't get distributed here in the U.S.  Now PLEASE, I repeat, this is  just hearsay and I'm hoping someone hear knows the true scoop.  Thanks!
    I heard a scholar from the Wilson Center on C-Span this morning (name?) state that China will probably beat the US at developing the vaccine, giving them another significant edge as the emerging world leader right now. He also reminded viewers that about 80% of all our pharmaceuticals and medical equipment already comes from China, putting us in a dependent role. His main point was that it's stupid for us to be at polticial odds with China right now, that scientists and doctors in our two countries have always enjoyed a positive relationship. Many Chinese doctors/scientists train in the US. 

I think it would be great if the country of origin for this virus were also the country of origin for the vaccine.  But, what the heck, if it comes from Mars, I'm all for it!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

pjl44 said:
    pjhawks said:

I'd be skeptical of Clay Travis. For starters, the study he's leaning on has been pretty heavily criticized. 

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/04/antibody-surveys-suggesting-vast-undercount-coronavirus-infections-may-be-unreliable#

That dude in the video at the end of your post...

biglaugh

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,312
    brianlux said:
    Mike D88 said:

They also own a good chunk of our debt,  so yeah for multiple reasons it's stupid for political leaders to vilify China.  You can be tough without toothless threats. 
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,312
    Who the f is Clay Travis?  
    mrussel1 said:

Good question.  Sounds to me like blow hard who like to hear himself yell at people and call them "stupid".   Well, by now we all know what comparing COVID-19 to the flu makes someone.

Mike D88 said:
    pjhawks said:

A couple issues I take with this, although perhaps not the general thrust (I do think we need to better understand the virus before we can go declaring certain age groups as safe):

1) The Stanford study will be DOA in peer review. Wholly disqualifying procedures.

2) These studies (including the Stanford one) that are playing in a range of zero to several percentage points are not rising above the noise floor for the antibody tests.

for sure not bad to be skeptical at this point. i'd say ignore the blowhard wording from the guy but look at the numbers.  if the numbers are correct then this is quite interesting.  fact is you won't get a fully approved study in such a short period of time so you take what you can get.  with real leadership we can use the data we have to start to understand what we can do moving forward to get back to some sense of normalcy in our lives for us without underlying conditions.  i think we all can agree we want that
    pjl44 said:
    pjhawks said:

for sure be skeptical of the person himself but if the numbers listed are correct, or close to correct it is quite interesting.  as we learn more about this we get closer to being able to return to some level of opening back up.  interesting numbers even if the guy is kind of a whack job
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,491
    PJNB said:
    After several days with no new cases, New Brunswick begins the process of opening up social visits by allowing two “bubbles” to connect - ie, two households that can socialize but only with each other 

https://apple.news/A3uhNTGo2QbqFMJqUXuMV5g

Ya thankful for the ease of restrictions but how do you choose? My mom? Her mom? My sisters? Her sisters? People are breaking this rule left and right. I am hoping my wife's physio clinic can open back up in late May but the criteria for phase 3 to happen is less than 3 community spread cases that are separate. That will be near impossible to reach. 

Hard to know how to choose, but at least it's something.

When we get to this in BC, I'm sure that my parents will want to link their "bubble" with mine, but I'm going to resist. Both are in their 80s, both have underlying health conditions, and I work in an area at higher risk for exposure. They already see me in person once a week when  I drop groceries at their door, then run away and talk to them from 20 feet away, plus we have a family zoom meeting each Sunday with my brother's family and I phone them. They'll just have to accept that for a while. 
    manitoba's top health doc says we won't be following the bubble model. it sounded interesting to me. 
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

pjhawks said:

Funny. I just read an article with the exact opposite headline. For fuck sake, the headlines 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/antibody-tests-support-whats-been-obvious-covid-19-is-much-more-lethal-than-flu/2020/04/28/2fc215d8-87f7-11ea-ac8a-fe9b8088e101_story.html
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Posts: 10,659
    mrussel1 said:
    Sports talk radio host
    Definitely a virus and/or pandemic expert to be listened to.
  • SHZASHZA Posts: 3,889
    edited April 2020
    pjhawks said:
    pjl44 said:
    pjhawks said:

for sure be skeptical of the person himself but if the numbers listed are correct, or close to correct it is quite interesting.  as we learn more about this we get closer to being able to return to some level of opening back up.  interesting numbers even if the guy is kind of a whack job
    The problem with just "looking at the numbers" presented by a whack job is that he's cherry-picking the numbers that best support his previously stated point of view that the coronavirus is no more deadly than the flu. If it was someone more credible and objective than Clay Travis, it would be a different story... 
    Post edited by SHZA on
    edited April 2020
    Here is the letter to the NEJM regarding the FIVE stroke patients at Mt Sinai.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc2009787query=featured_coronavirus
    Edit: when you click on link, you will be redirected, letter is three links down at this writing. 

It turns out three of them did have preexisting conditions: one had suffered another mild stroke previous to Co-Vid. One was discovered to have previously  undiagnosed diabetes while being treated for Covid, another had hypertension and hyperlipidemia.Two of them said what I suggested earlier, based on prior reading  -- they delayed going to hospital with stroke symptoms because of coVid fears.

Remarkably, when interviewed on NPR this morning and asked about underlying conditions connected to these cases, the doctor flat out LIED and said NO. So, I go to the letter mentioned on NPR to read his report myself, simply out of curiosity, and see facts in his own report that counter the LIE he told on the radio. Unbelievable. 

There is a footnote in the letter regarding a 5% incidence of related strokes in Wuhan. Makes me wonder about lies being told everywhere.
    Post edited by what dreams on
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    edited April 2020

Edit: when you click on link, you will be redirected, letter is three links down at this writing. 

It turns out three of them did have preexisting conditions: one had suffered another mild stroke previous to Co-Vid. One was discovered to have previously  undiagnosed diabetes while being treated for Covid, another had hypertension and hyperlipidemia.Two of them said what I suggested earlier, based on prior reading  -- they delayed going to hospital with stroke symptoms because of coVid fears.

Remarkably, when interviewed on NPR this morning and asked about underlying conditions connected to these cases, the doctor flat out LIED and said NO. So, I go to the letter mentioned on NPR to read his report myself, simply out of curiosity, and see facts in his own report that counter the LIE he told on the radio. Unbelievable. 

There is a footnote in the letter regarding a 5% incidence of related strokes in Wuhan. Makes me wonder about lies being told everywhere.
    That is untrue.  Dr Makko (spelling?) did not lie.
    He was speaking about the 7x increase in stroke occurance that's been observed, and making a general assessment that overall, they did not have the expected usual underlying conditions that would precede a severe stroke. 
    Your desire to see the media as inherently dishonest and alarmist is skewing your perception.
    It's one thing to distrust the media, but you should take a breathe and reassess before you throw medical professionals under the bus.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    I'll add that you emphasize the FIVE patients in the letter, which was stated to just be an initial alarm, but seem to ignore the reported 7x increase that has been significantly correlated to COVID-19.
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,316
    Mike D88 said:
    Well, there was that time Trump tried to secure the rights to a German vaccine for exclusive use in the US, in the far distant past known as March.

That's a good point about being at political odds with China. They were already poised to take the lead this century, and this situation accelerates that. Unfortunately, the 2020 GOP playbook is here, and it's all about going at odds with China.
    Kinda nice to think about causing a pandemic leads to more power for China. Can't wait for the future!
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,516
    Renfield said:
    JPPJ84 said:
    JPPJ84I don’t get it. Doesn’t matter, I know why I usually keep away from AMT...
    “I know why I usually keep away from AMT...“

...Shark infested waters
    This is nothing. Check out a libertarian or conservative forum. 
    Renfield said:
    JPPJ84 said:
    JPPJ84I don’t get it. Doesn’t matter, I know why I usually keep away from AMT...
    “I know why I usually keep away from AMT...“

...Shark infested waters
    This is nothing. Check out a libertarian or conservative forum. 
    Yeah, no shit.
    Or just hop on the comment section of any CBS/NBC article on Facebook.
    If you think these are shark infested waters, you're not even stuck in the reef, you're in the kiddie pool at the resort lol
  • Why would anyone want to go to one of those sites?
    Fuck those people, at this point.  
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,424
    Why would anyone want to go to one of those sites?
    Fuck those people, at this point.  
    Confirmation bias, branded and bottled.
    edited April 2020
    rgambs said:

That is untrue.  Dr Makko (spelling?) did not lie.
    He was speaking about the 7x increase in stroke occurance that's been observed, and making a general assessment that overall, they did not have the expected usual underlying conditions that would precede a severe stroke. 
    Your desire to see the media as inherently dishonest and alarmist is skewing your perception.
    It's one thing to distrust the media, but you should take a breathe and reassess before you throw medical professionals under the bus.
    https://www.npr.org/2020/04/29/847732044/doctors-find-some-younger-covid-19-patients-suffer-serious-strokes

40% = 5, not 4.8, remember?
    7x, he says (out of no baseline number provided)
    "About half" he says (of no total patients given)

Statistics never tell the whole story, and they mostly serve to confuse average people who don't know how to question them. And to @oftenreading, you're right, I forgot to extrapolate to the population at large in my denominator in my original post on this issue. 

If 3/5 in the report I link where preexisting conditions DO exist is extrapolated to the "about half" he discusses in this article -- does that equal the 5% Wuhan reports? Can we go there instead of confusing everyone?

And it is absolutely true that he said NO on preexisting conditions when his own report refutes that. I'm not throwing him under the bus. He threw himself under the bus. 

He could just tell America that there are unknown numbers of you walking around  with diabetes and don't even know it. If you had a stroke before, you might have another one. Get your blood pressure under control. Forget CoVid, and go to the emergency room at the first sign of a stroke. Instead, the discussion makes it seem like half the people who get CoVid will have a stroke, and it's just not fucking true.

I have one doctor, one, whom I trust with my life. He helped me beat cancer, after a previous doctor ignored my reported, and well-known, obvious symptoms of it for years. She even missed the damned lump in my neck, for Chist sake, when she checked my lymph nodes on a routine exam.

You know the first thing this trusted doctor told me every time I had to make a treatment decision? "There are no guarantees in medicine." 
    Post edited by what dreams on
This discussion has been closed.