The coronavirus

Comments

• "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 8,286
    pjl44 said:
    dignin said:
    pjl44 said:
    Vox was still pushing this horseshit last night. They doubled down and made the tweet even worse than the headline.

The injustice, I weep for Hannity.
    It's not even about Hannity. You read the headline then read the story and it's journalism that we should be weeping for. 
    If you complain here about journalism nowadays, then you’re automatically a trump supporter. There are news outlets just as bad as Fox News, but for the other side. It’s just not brought up here. 
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,114
    Update on the Oxford vaccine: clinical trials have started. I'm particularly interested in this one because they had (pretty boldly) claimed they were optimistic it would be effective and could be ready by the fall. They've scaled up production in the event it is indeed effective and are still eyeing the fall for the end of the trials. Gotta hand it to them for swinging for the fences.

https://abcnews.go.com/International/clinical-trials-coronavirus-vaccine-begin-university-oxford/story?id=70286101
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 40,005
    DewieCox said:

Always thought you were just kinda whiny but you’re proving yourself to be a pretty disgusting individual.
    Aww c'mon, I chuckled at that.
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,118
    nicknyr15 said:
    pjl44 said:
    dignin said:
    pjl44 said:
    Vox was still pushing this horseshit last night. They doubled down and made the tweet even worse than the headline.

It's not even about Hannity. You read the headline then read the story and it's journalism that we should be weeping for. 
    If you complain here about journalism nowadays, then you’re automatically a trump supporter. There are news outlets just as bad as Fox News, but for the other side. It’s just not brought up here. 

Fox News is the most widely consumed news outlet in the country. It regularly portrays an alternate reality to the facts of the day, of which its COVID coverage is only one example. There is no counterexample on the left that is viewed/read by as many people.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
    nicknyr15 said:
    pjl44 said:
    dignin said:
    pjl44 said:

Totally. Did you see the CNN video of Chris Cuomo emerging from quarantine? Even though he had been out in the Hamptons (while infectious) and got into an argument with a cyclist? It's hard to avoid nihilism at this point. 
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,061

About 26 percent of Stockholm County residents are estimated to be, or have been, infected on May 1, according to the new report.

- We see no decline, says Anders Wallensten, Deputy State Epidemiologist at the Public Health Authority.

2000 dead now. This is getting out of control.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,135
    https://twitter.com/jamesfallows/status/1253321618161651712?s=21
    Remember when a true leader took responsibility!
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....

About 26 percent of Stockholm County residents are estimated to be, or have been, infected on May 1, according to the new report.

- We see no decline, says Anders Wallensten, Deputy State Epidemiologist at the Public Health Authority.

2000 dead now. This is getting out of control.

Getting?

• dankinddankind Posts: 20,832
    So. Many. Goddamn. Helicopters.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    edited April 2020
    DewieCox said:

Always thought you were just kinda whiny but you’re proving yourself to be a pretty disgusting individual.
    Okey. I hope that realisation of yours helps you, going forward. Just take this with you on your journey like a gift from Galadriel - it's called Mario Kart, not Mario Cart.

And I found my Circuital vinyl. Not the boxset though. Just have the regular one.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    pjl44 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    pjl44 said:
    dignin said:
    pjl44 said:

Totally. Did you see the CNN video of Chris Cuomo emerging from quarantine? Even though he had been out in the Hamptons (while infectious) and got into an argument with a cyclist? It's hard to avoid nihilism at this point. 
    Embarrassing. I was embarrassed for him. Nobody talks about stuff like that though. If trump made that video, forget it. That’s a big problem. People arent stupid, even though certain posters here make it seem like anyone who isn’t a Biden supporter is dumb. People notice things like that , and it only helps Trump. This whole attitude is counterproductive towards getting him out of office. 
    nicknyr15 said:
    pjl44 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    pjl44 said:
    dignin said:
    pjl44 said:

Embarrassing. I was embarrassed for him. Nobody talks about stuff like that though. If trump made that video, forget it. That’s a big problem. People arent stupid, even though certain posters here make it seem like anyone who isn’t a Biden supporter is dumb. People notice things like that , and it only helps Trump. This whole attitude is counterproductive towards getting him out of office. 
    This Gallup poll tells you all you need to know about the state of our relationship with the media. We all understand that Fox is full of shit. But, like you said, try to explain that the same applies to MSNBC, CNN, etc. and you'll get well-akshually'd into oblivion. There's a reason the "fake news" thing sticks, unfortunately.

edited April 2020
    pjl44 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    pjl44 said:
    dignin said:
    pjl44 said:

I kind of like Chrissy-boy.

But the whole "making a reality soap opera of news out of his corona" is cringe. All the "the beast comes out at night" and "Im not there for my family and that hurts more than the virus" and "the virus want me to give up, but I won't. For my kids. For my wife. For my viewers" etc.

Like shitty confessionals from a Survivor/Big Brother rip off.

AND WAAAAAAITTT... HE WAS OUT FIGHTING CYCLISTS?
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    nicknyr15 said:
    pjl44 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    pjl44 said:
    dignin said:
    pjl44 said:

Chris Cuomo is a cable new anchor. Donald Trump is President of the United States. Comparing the two is odd. Hannity would be a fair comparison in this case, and probably better illustrate the point. But reaching for Trump kind of shows why defending Fox News is seen as defending Trump.

Has anyone here experienced loved ones dealing with other health issues while this is going on? My mom needs to go in for heart surgery in the next few weeks. She is in Florida, I am in Massachusetts. I can't travel to her for risk of infection. Can't get in to visit her if I could. Can't be there to help with recovery. Can't really help at all. And god knows what Florida will be like a month from now once these states start opening up.

pjl44 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    pjl44 said:
    dignin said:
    pjl44 said:

I kind of like Chrissy-boy.

But the whole "making a reality soap opera of news out of his corona" is cringe. All the "the beast comes out at night" and "Im not there for my family and that hurts more than the virus" and "the virus want me to give up, but I won't. For my kids. For my wife. For my viewers" etc.

Like shitty confessionals from a Survivor/Big Brother rip off.

AND WAAAAAAITTT... HE WAS OUT FIGHTING CYCLISTS?
    Oh, he certainly was. He referenced it himself in a radio interview so they can't even say the guy is lying. 

https://nypost.com/2020/04/14/long-island-bicyclist-verbally-attacked-by-chris-cuomo-fires-back/
    Sounds like Chris has some anger issues. Didn't he also snap when someone called him "Fredo"
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,331
    pjl44 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    pjl44 said:
    dignin said:
    pjl44 said:

I guess the difference between you and me is I don't see vox, Cuomo or Hannity as journalism.
    Sounds like Chris has some anger issues. Didn't he also snap when someone called him "Fredo"
    Yeah. Said "Fredo" was comparable to the "n-word" for Italians. Which, for many many different reasons, it most certainly is not. 
    JimmyV said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    pjl44 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    pjl44 said:
    dignin said:
    pjl44 said:

Chris Cuomo is a cable new anchor. Donald Trump is President of the United States. Comparing the two is odd. Hannity would be a fair comparison in this case, and probably better illustrate the point. But reaching for Trump kind of shows why defending Fox News is seen as defending Trump.
    I never defended Fox News. 
    JimmyV said:
    Has anyone here experienced loved ones dealing with other health issues while this is going on? My mom needs to go in for heart surgery in the next few weeks. She is in Florida, I am in Massachusetts. I can't travel to her for risk of infection. Can't get in to visit her if I could. Can't be there to help with recovery. Can't really help at all. And god knows what Florida will be like a month from now once these states start opening up.
    Sorry to hear. I wish a had a solution but that’s a tough situation. I hope it all works out. 
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,135
    JimmyV said:
    Damn yeah I’m not sure how it is in Florida but here in NY at this hospital it would not be a good idea there’s too much cross infection specially in a hospital that was full of Covid19 patients like this one ,I don’t wanna make you panic just stating that I would not recommend coming to this hospital at this point in this crisis.
    Hoping for the best to your mom & you ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    Another one to file under "if you're looking for a glimmer of hope"

pjl44 said:
    Another one to file under "if you're looking for a glimmer of hope"

• bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,945
    pjl44 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    pjl44 said:
    dignin said:
    pjl44 said:

You mean the one where he came up the stairs like he was Rocky Balboa after a fight? 

• Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,834
    edited April 2020
    Snapping because someone in the streets is harassing you in public is understandable. Can't blame him for that. What I didn't like was Cuomo OF COURSE playing the race card and suggesting that to call someone "Fredo" is racist against Italian-Americans. Give me a fucking break. When someone makes reference to Fredo Corleone, they're suggesting you're the stupid brother, nothing more. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • 23scidoo23scidoo Posts: 19,073

Former state epidemiologist Johan Giesecke again praises the Swedish Corona line.
    In an interview with German Bild, he says that "the difference is that Germany is destroying its economy right now."

Johan Giesecke, former state epidemiologist and current WHO adviser, participated in a large interview this weekend with British UnHerd.
    He highlighted the Swedish path as more science-based, and that Britain did the same - before Prime Minister Boris Johnson made "a 180-degree turn".

Now the former state epidemiologist is being interviewed by the German tabloid Bild. He says there is no scientific evidence that "lockdowns" have an actual effect.
    - People are not stupid, Johan Giesecke tells the magazine.
    - The difference is that Germany is destroying its economy right now.

Giesecke says that there have been exaggerated forecasts of death rates and places of care, and that most EU countries have adequate healthcare capacity.

- Our healthcare system has not collapsed and will not collapse, says Giesecke.

Instead, the former state epidemiologist believes that death rates between different countries can only be compared in a couple of years, and that deaths will increase in countries that have had severe restrictions and in different ways open up.

- The only difference with Sweden is that the deaths in these countries will occur later, after they have eased their measures.

In the interview with British UnHerd, Giesecke resembled the corona eruption with a tsunami that swept across Europe, and that countries will need to test different paths when it comes time to ease restrictions. If an eased action leads to more deaths, it is withdrawn. Then one must test another route until restrictions can be lifted without death. In the end, all European countries will be affected about the same, Giesecke says.

- People are not stupid, Johan Giesecke tells the magazine.
    - The difference is that Germany is destroying its economy right now.
    money over humans??
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
    Snapping because someone in the streets is harassing you in public is understandable. Can't blame him for that. What I didn't like was Cuomo OF COURSE playing the race card and suggesting that to call someone "Fredo" is racist against Italian-Americans. Give me a fucking break. When someone makes reference to Fred Corleone, they're suggesting you're the stupid brother, nothing more. 
    Don't have any problems with this take. 

Strengthening the argument of himself as the victim with a "race card" is as cringy as reality-soap-opera-yourself in your basement with pointless "the beast comes out at night" updates when you catch corona. 
  • 23scidoo23scidoo Posts: 19,073
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
This discussion has been closed.