The coronavirus

Comments

• BentleyspopBentleyspop Posts: 10,659
    JimmyV said:
    Saw this posted on Facebook. It may give some insight to the protests. SMH

If you want to stay home, stay home.
    If you want to wear a mask, wear a mask.
    If you want to avoid large crowds, avoid large crowds.

I am not required to descend into poverty for you.
    I am not required to abstain from human contact for you.
    I am not required to shop alone, without my kids, for you.

I refuse to participate in "quarantine life" until there's an unsafe, untested v@ccine released in eighteen months. I refuse to receive said v@ccine to make others feel more safe. I won't set myself--or my children--on fire to keep you warm. If you're convinced the vaccine is safe and effective, you can get it yourself.

Some of you are allowing fear and policies devoid of scientifically accurate data to destroy America and ruin your life. I can't control your self-destructive behaviors, but we all have a say in America.

We need to tell legislators that we demand options. We have a constitutional right to take risks. Life is full of bacteria and viruses--many of which spread before symptoms manifest and after they subside. We have a right to receive OR refuse v@ccines.

The data was inaccurate at best; purposely overblown to justify government overreach at worst. Stop allowing the government to destroy:
    The Food Supply
    Small Businesses
    Medical Autonomy
    Access to Healthcare
    Religious Gatherings
    Privacy Rights
    Fellowship

When the "new normal" is filled with starvation, depression, suicide, imprisonment, governmental spying, and pure DESPERATION, the virus is going to look preferable to the world you helped facilitate."

"Stop allowing the government to destroy..." but also vote for the guy who runs the government.
    The government can't tell me what to do with my body

Let's get rid of Roe v Wade
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,405
    dignin said:
    bbiggs said:
    pjl44 said:
    bbiggs said:
    What a shit show this is becoming in the U.S.  Some states are about to open back up, others are extending stay at home orders through the end of May. Give me a break.  No wonder we’re MILES ahead of every country in terms of cases and deaths.  The division here is as great as I’ve ever seen it.  Fucking embarrassing to be honest. 
    You can certainly question an individual state's decision, but this is how it should be. Different states/regions will find themselves in different situations for different reasons. There shouldn't be a blanket approach for the entire country. A big part of the reason we should be looking at regional trends instead of "US numbers."

Like I said yesterday, my state (MA) is in a relatively worse position than others and we have to live with the fact that we may be behind other states in loosening up. It sucks but it is what it is. 
    If states were opening up for the right reasons, I would agree with this.  That doesn't seem to be the case.  They are not re-opening based on significant declines in cases that makes it "safe" to start that process.  Many are doing so based on the desire to be liberated and free.  I agree that we don't need a blanket approach for a country as large as the U.S., but we should have guidelines that each state follows in terms of when to re-open.  Right now, it is all over the map with each state creating its own set of guidelines.  That doesn't work.  Zero effective leadership from the top.  

Maybe, I know this is crazy, but there could be some kind of leadership at the federal level to coordinate this. I know, crazy.
    It certainly would be helpful. 
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Mario Kart, Bro
    Clip Clop

This thread has some funny sayings
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,384
    edited April 2020
    Mario Kart, Bro
    Clip Clop

How you holding up in 856/609 land?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • SHZASHZA Posts: 3,889
    mace1229 said:
    SHZA said:
    mace1229 said:
    bbiggs said:
    What a shit show this is becoming in the U.S.  Some states are about to open back up, others are extending stay at home orders through the end of May. Give me a break.  No wonder we’re MILES ahead of every country in terms of cases and deaths.  The division here is as great as I’ve ever seen it.  Fucking embarrassing to be honest. 
    I haven’t seen stats for about a week, but last I saw I don’t think we were even top 10 per capita. I don’t think we’re number 1 or even close unless you ignore population. Which if you do wouldn’t be an accurate assessment.

Edit: just looked it up, were #6
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.statista.com/chart/amp/21176/covid-19-infection-density-in-countries-most-total-cases/
    But that's confirmed cases. The true number of US cases is grossly understated because the testing capacity is so abysmal. With widespread testing, we'd be #1 per capita by far. 
    Why do you think it’s so much worse here than everywhere else? We already have a comparable or even better death rate than most countries except Germany. So we’d have to believe our death rate is far better than what it already is if you think that. 
    We’ve also tested 5-10 times as much as most European countries,, which isn’t far off from our population difference.
    So whatever shortage of testing we may have we aren’t alone.
    I check this site every couple of days, has live updates of just about any stat.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
    That link shows that USA is pretty far down the list on tests per million people. Fauci himself has admitted that our testing regime has been a clear failure. As for the death rate, someone this morning posted a Times article showing that NYC has 4,000 unaccounted for deaths that are likely attributable to covid19. So there appears to be a large number of both unaccounted cases and unaccounted deaths. And other factors could explain why our death rate may be better than other countries -- such as hospital capacity, quality of treatment, and population characteristics/risk-levels. 
  • mcgruff10 said:
    Mario Kart, Bro
    Clip Clop

How you holding up in cherry hill? 
    Think we already had the virus and survived but no way to know until testing and it would be a huge relief given our worry about my wife getting it and how it might effect her 
    Luckily nobody we know directly has died from it yet 
    People appear to be behaving responsibly, which is good.
    What about your hood?
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,135
    mfc2006 said:
    How long are some of you willing to be locked down for? As long as it takes? 

Amazed at all the peeps that can work from home..Easy to judge those that don't have that luxury..
    No judgment here at all. Actually I haven't seen anyone here that's working from home pass judgment on those that can't. 

I honestly think it sucks that people aren't working. I've seen the direct impact that it's had on friends and family & we try to help them as much as we can.

That being said, I think that it is irresponsible to open the country/world when there are so many unknowns and because this virus has NOT just disappeared like the president hoped that it would. If I wasn't able to work from home or wasn't working, my opinion would be the same. I'd rather live and wait this out until there are viable treatments options and/or a vaccine. 
    Spot on!
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • wndowpaynewndowpayne Posts: 1,469
    mfc2006 said:

Amazed at all the peeps that can work from home..Easy to judge those that don't have that luxury..
    No judgment here at all. Actually I haven't seen anyone here that's working from home pass judgment on those that can't. 

I honestly think it sucks that people aren't working. I've seen the direct impact that it's had on friends and family & we try to help them as much as we can.

That being said, I think that it is irresponsible to open the country/world when there are so many unknowns and because this virus has NOT just disappeared like the president hoped that it would. If I wasn't able to work from home or wasn't working, my opinion would be the same. I'd rather live and wait this out until there are viable treatments options and/or a vaccine. 

"Judge" was probably a bad term to use. I wish everyone could work from home  or stay home but that isnt realistic for those that can't afford to miss a paycheck.I know several people that work in the restaurant buisness and they are reaching a point of  desperation.
    Charlottesville 2013
    Hampton 2016

• OnWis97OnWis97 Posts: 4,970
    great weather so went out for lunch with a friend

One sneeze from the waitstaff and everyone's comfort level is shaken.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,384
    mcgruff10 said:
    Mario Kart, Bro
    Clip Clop

Think we already had the virus and survived but no way to know until testing and it would be a huge relief given our worry about my wife getting it and how it might effect her 
    What about your hood?
    Same here.  In february my wife had really bad shortness of breath, felt like someone was sitting on her chest.  Doctor asked her if she had recently visited China and of course she said no.  Got an inhaler and over a few weeks it got better (Dr. said if the shortness of breath got any worse she should head to the er.)  
    She still has some shortness of breath from to time to time.  Her dad had the same exact symptoms right after she got it and I had some sort of virus in early March.  (Chills, sweating, joint ache.)
    Otherwise juggling remote teaching and learning have been quite stressful at times but we are getting through it.  We try to order out once a week to feel normal.  Last night we got Jersey MIke's.  
    Lakewood is directly south of us so our numbers and the surrounding towns have had really high numbers of infections.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,059
    edited April 2020
    OnWis97 said:
    great weather so went out for lunch with a friend

One sneeze from the waitstaff and everyone's comfort level is shaken.
    Happy to try to help our local saluhall ("market hall"?) survive. The restaurants/delicatessen stores had problems even before Corona.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Mario Kart, Bro
    Clip Clop

What about your hood?
    Same here.  In february my wife had really bad shortness of breath, felt like someone was sitting on her chest.  Doctor asked her if she had recently visited China and of course she said no.  Got an inhaler and over a few weeks it got better (Dr. said if the shortness of breath got any worse she should head to the er.)  
    She still has some shortness of breath from to time to time.  Her dad had the same exact symptoms right after she got it and I had some sort of virus in early March.  (Chills, sweating, joint ache.)
    Otherwise juggling remote teaching and learning have been quite stressful at times but we are getting through it.  We try to order out once a week to feel normal.  Last night we got Jersey MIke's.  
    Lakewood is directly south of us so our numbers and the surrounding towns have had really high numbers of infections.  
    Hopefully you all have had it and are in the clear.
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 40,005
    You can't open up parts of the country if schools aren't open.  The kids need some sort of care and if parents are working the kids most of the time can't be left alone.
  • chiwhitesoxchiwhitesox Posts: 696
    What's everyone's opinion of this report from LA County?

Based on results of the first round of testing, the research team estimates that approximately 4.1% of the county’s adult population has antibody to the virus. Adjusting this estimate for statistical margin of error implies about 2.8% to 5.6% of the county’s adult population has antibody to the virus- which translates to approximately 221,000 to 442,000 adults in the county who have had the infection. That estimate is 28 to 55 times higher than the 7,994 confirmed cases of COVID-19 reported to the county by the time of the study in early April. The number of COVID-related deaths in the county has now surpassed 600.

So out of 221,000 to 442,000 adults who had Coronavirus, 600 died.

Dr. Barbara Ferrer, director of the L.A. County Department of Public Health adds,

The data suggests the county’s mortality rate is around 0.1% or 0.2% of true infections.

FWIW...my opinion is we're absolutely not testing enough and have completely mismanaged this entire thing.
    - Chicago G

chicago98-chicago00-chicago03-east troy03-chicago06-chicago09-east troy11_2-chicago13-moline14-milwaukee14-lexington16-chicago16_1-chicago16_2-chicago18_1-chicago18_2
    This past weekend this hospital discharged its 1,000th Corona patient and the very 1st C19 intubated pt has been moved to a rehab center and it’s now testing negative after 6 1/2 weeks on ventilator..I’m staying positive 
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 10,657
    mcgruff10 said:
    Mario Kart, Bro
    Clip Clop

What about your hood?
    It would be great to know. A lot of people think they may have already had it. I know in early March I had this weird burning back pain and slight fever. The back pain was severe enough to send me to Urgent Care. Then I lost my sense of smell for about 3 days. I was going around the house trying to smell things. Couldn't tell the difference between garlic and oranges. But my whole episode lasted only about 5 days - and no cough or respiratory symptoms. So, who knows. Reliable antibody tests will be really helpful to many of us.

This past weekend this hospital discharged its 1,000th Corona patient and the very 1st C19 intubated pt has been moved to a rehab center and it’s now testing negative after 6 1/2 weeks on ventilator..I’m staying positive 
    Only 1 person survived on the ventilator?  That's not good news but at least 1 was saved.
  • Indeed we can look forward to those tests!
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER Posts: 6,499
    edited April 2020

Based on results of the first round of testing, the research team estimates that approximately 4.1% of the county’s adult population has antibody to the virus. Adjusting this estimate for statistical margin of error implies about 2.8% to 5.6% of the county’s adult population has antibody to the virus- which translates to approximately 221,000 to 442,000 adults in the county who have had the infection. That estimate is 28 to 55 times higher than the 7,994 confirmed cases of COVID-19 reported to the county by the time of the study in early April. The number of COVID-related deaths in the county has now surpassed 600.

Dr. Barbara Ferrer, director of the L.A. County Department of Public Health adds,

The data suggests the county’s mortality rate is around 0.1% or 0.2% of true infections.

FWIW...my opinion is we're absolutely not testing enough and have completely mismanaged this entire thing.
    These are the numbers I’m interested in.  How can we get an accurate mortality rate before mass antibody studies with this somewhat asymptomatic virus?  My wife’s doctor called and said they have tests available, so she is going to get tested this afternoon.  We had some shit at the end of January/early February that was almost identical to the COVID-19 identified symptoms.  Reports are saying that it was most likely in the US as of early February... I guess we’ll see.
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
    Only 1 person survived on the ventilator?  That's not good news but at least 1 was saved.
    No he was the very 1st covid patient to be admitted that had to be intubated , lots of intubated patients have pulled through 
  • dankinddankind Posts: 20,832
    You can't open up parts of the country if schools aren't open.  The kids need some sort of care and if parents are working the kids most of the time can't be left alone.
    Dude, most of us grew up alone, did we not? 

And we turned out fine. I mean, we're pretty much the only generation being responsible about this whole thing.

Roger Waters said it best, "Leave them kids alone."
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,059
    PJPOWER said:

These are the numbers I’m interested in.  How can we get an accurate mortality rate before mass antibody studies with this somewhat asymptomatic virus?  My wife’s doctor called and said they have tests available, so she is going to get tested this afternoon.  We had some shit at the end of January/early February that was almost identical to the COVID-19 identified symptoms.  Reports are saying that it was definitely in the US as of early February... I guess we’ll see.

Speaking of 0,1-0,2 % mortality rate.

Mortality in covid-19 could be much lower than expected.
    Maybe as low as 0.2 percent, instead of three percent that was initially predicted.
    - Yes, it's not unreasonable. It is often the case that in the beginning, the mortality rate of a new virus appears to be quite high, says Deputy State Epidemiologist Anders Wallensten.

So far, with around a thousand dead in Stockholm County and a few more until May 1, that would mean a death rate of 0.2 or 0.3 percent. Is it a reasonable estimate?
    - Yes, it is not unreasonable. It is often the case that in the beginning, the mortality rate of a new virus seems to be quite high, and then as you look it is smaller, because you also detect the mild cases, and can measure them, says Wallensten.

In early March, WHO estimated that covid-19 mortality was 3.4 percent among those infected. Later, one per cent was mentioned as a possible level, which should be compared with 0.1 per cent mortality, which is often stated for seasonal influenza.

Does this mean that mortality is close to a regular seasonal flu?
    - We must see, I don't think it will be that low, says Wallensten. And it should be noted that there is a difference between a seasonal flu where many have had immunity from previous influenzas. This means that fewer people get sick at the same time. Regardless, this has been a tremendous stress for our healthcare, in a completely different way, than a seasonal flu, says Wallensten.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,114
    bbiggs said:
    Alternate headline: 

Watching Tucker Carlson saved lives
  • CM189191CM189191 Posts: 6,927

• pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,114
    bbiggs said:
    It becomes clear as you continue to read, but you have to get 30 paragraphs in before you reach this...kinda important...caveat. Wild headline, though.

• brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,584
    mfc2006 said:

I am very happy that there are people that can work from home.  Some of my family and friends are able to and because of that, I don't need to worry about their financial well being.  Of course, at the same I feel like shit being stuck at home and not working.   But it's what I have to so.  And I feel the same way as you about living and waiting this out until there are treatments of a vaccine.  I just have to find a way to preserve my sanity and sense of worth. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,584
    bbiggs said:
    Here's what I don't understand about the U.S.'s approach.  Just about every state bought in to the stay at home orders.  This lasted 4-5 weeks or so and many states are now starting to get antsy and want to open back up.  In the meantime, the virus cases and deaths continue to rise, so we haven't seen the peak.  What was the point in locking down to begin with if you weren't going to at least ride it out until after the peak?  Seems pretty pointless to me.  It's the wild west around here with no sense of direction.  Buckle up.

Totally agree.  We get half way to the goal and then throw in the towel.  It's ridiculous.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

No he was the very 1st covid patient to be admitted that had to be intubated , lots of intubated patients have pulled through 
    That is GREAT news then Jose.  I feel much better that you told me this.
    dankind said:
    Dude, most of us grew up alone, did we not? 

And we turned out fine. I mean, we're pretty much the only generation being responsible about this whole thing.

Roger Waters said it best, "Leave them kids alone."
    It doesn't necessarily make it right though?

Parents rely on school as a caretaker.

Just sayin'.
This discussion has been closed.