The coronavirus

Comments

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,062
    edited April 2020
     This is the dumbest shit ever.
    Or your post is.

AND IM FROM CORONA-RECKLESS SWEDEN

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,384
    edited April 2020
    27% herd immunity in NY with 2.7million positive tests for antibodies. Extrapolated globally thats over 2 billion Rona cases.  This thing is 99.999% harmless.  Lets fucking get shit open.  This is the dumbest shit ever.
    15,740 dead in New York State.   So fucking dumb.  
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,114
    pjl44 said:
    Mike D88 said:
    I missed this yesterday, because time is immaterial now:

The head of the Biomedical Advanced Research and Development Authority (BARDA), which is overseeing vaccine development, was sacked because he wouldn't blindly endorse the use of hydroxychloroquine, a drug that now appears to do more harm than good when used to treat COVID-19.
    And in the interim a lot more details to the contrary have come out.

https://www.politico.com/amp/news/2020/04/22/hhs-ousts-vaccine-expert-as-covid-19-threat-grows-201642?__twitter_impression=true

Both can be true. He has said that he doesn’t support use as a treatment without evidence and was pushed to approve use anyway. He has also reported that he agreed to having trials performed, which would require presence of the drug. 
    The point of the Politico piece is that it's much more complex than the Times presents it, which is basically Do This - No - You're Fired
  • jimjam1982jimjam1982 Posts: 1,395
    mcgruff10 said:
    27% herd immunity in NY with 2.7million positive tests for antibodies. Extrapolated globally thats over 2 billion Rona cases.  This thing is 99.999% harmless.  Lets fucking get shit open.  This is the dumbest shit ever.
    The downfall of western civilization vs. 50,000 deaths.  Seems legit.  GO on though.  Talk about how important everyone is in the scheme of human history. 
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 38,197
    I just re-watched the complete interview Anderson Cooper had with that idiot Las Vegas Mayor. Guess what? He never called her an idiot. He called a statement that she made, "ignorant." Is it possible CNN edited the interview they posted on their website? Sure, I guess. I found it on my phone and can't find it on CNN's page. If you can find it, watch it. Then decide for yourself if the mayor of Las Vegas is an idiot. Don't think what Anderson Cooper wants you to.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/23/politics/carolyn-goodman-anderson-cooper-las-vegas/index.html
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
    mcgruff10 said:
    The downfall of western civilization vs. 50,000 deaths.  Seems legit.  GO on though.  Talk about how important everyone is in the scheme of human history. 
    Did you hold up your “sacrifice the weak” sign today?  
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Nope but there is a point where sacrifices will need to be made.  Maybe I will die, I am okay with that if I die having fun doing things I want to do.  We all gotta go someday.  I won't go quietly at home alone. Sorry. 
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,114
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Nope but there is a point where sacrifices will need to be made.  Maybe I will die, I am okay with that if I die having fun doing things I want to do.  We all gotta go someday.  I won't go quietly at home alone. Sorry. 
    Do you live near Georgia? You could lift and get a mustache wax tomorrow. 
    edited April 2020
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Do you know why there are lockdowns, and what that will happen to healthcare if you "fucking get shit open"?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    So what do you miss doing? What could be so important that you would risk your life for? 
  • Mike D88Mike D88 Posts: 723
    pjl44 said:
    Mike D88 said:
    I missed this yesterday, because time is immaterial now:

The head of the Biomedical Advanced Research and Development Authority (BARDA), which is overseeing vaccine development, was sacked because he wouldn't blindly endorse the use of hydroxychloroquine, a drug that now appears to do more harm than good when used to treat COVID-19.
    And in the interim a lot more details to the contrary have come out.

https://www.politico.com/amp/news/2020/04/22/hhs-ousts-vaccine-expert-as-covid-19-threat-grows-201642?__twitter_impression=true

Yeah, I'm gonna go with door number one, "administration that abruptly fires people for petty personal disputes abruptly fires someone for petty personal dispute," and not whatever ex post facto reason that got brainstormed in the days that followed.

"Bright... learned about the reassignment only when his name was removed from the BARDA website this weekend," is classic Trump sacking. And this is classic Trump coming down from a destructive temper tantrum:

"I never heard of him," Trump said. "The guy says he was pushed out of a job, maybe he was, maybe he wasn't. You'd have to hear the other side."
    The guy's been president for three years, at least pretend this isn't the first time you've witnessed his "management" style.
    i-Brzk3Rdjpg
    2008 Tampa - 2013 Buffalo - 2016 Tampa - 2016 Fenway II
    Audioslave 2005 MSG
  • dankinddankind Posts: 20,832
    People are not literal enough with the word "ignorant." It's often not an insult but an observation.

I don't watch CNN or care to start watching it now, but it sounds like perhaps Anderson Cooper meant it quite literally and that the internet took it as an insult on the mayor.

I don't care enough to watch even 10 seconds of Anderson Cooper to clarify this, but for those of you who do watch, maybe bear in mind the literal meaning of the word ignorant before getting it twisted.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    I'm in Arizona.  Soon.  I will be out the first day shit opens.  In fact, throwing a party this weekend with some friends. 6 weeks is enough.  WE flattened the curve.  Time to move on.  The goal was not to wait the virus out for the next 20 fucking years while they make a vaccine.  
  • Mike D88Mike D88 Posts: 723
    edited April 2020
    Wrong. You often need >50% immunity in the population for herd immunity. For SARS-2 that threshold may be as high as ~80%, a larger number than was even projected to get the virus at one point.
    mcgruff10 said:
    Cool. I volunteer you.

PS - You don't post much, but you could post less.
    i-Brzk3Rdjpg
    2008 Tampa - 2013 Buffalo - 2016 Tampa - 2016 Fenway II
    Audioslave 2005 MSG
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,253
    mace1229 said:
    dankind said:
    what dreams sa hiid:
    mcgruff10 said:
    How long are some of you willing to be locked down for? As long as it takes? 
    I'm a teacher. I get laid off two months every year anyway, so I'm used it. This year it's four. No biggie.
    You aren’t getting paid for May and June?
    Yes, I am still getting paid. At the same time I feel grateful, I feel terribly guilty about it, knowing how much others are suffering who've lost their jobs. I am technically "working" until the end of May, which is when school was out for me in a normal year. By "working" -- I mean creating and posting weekly assignments that only 1/4 of my students are completing, answering a handful of emails a day, meeting once a week with my department. Dreaming big about next year when we go back. My district has been very reasonable about work-at-home structures and requirements, so compared to what a normal workday was like in my trauma flooded school pre-Covid, this is really not hard for me. I know teachers in other districts are being slammed and really not coping well. My main stressor right now is I can't stop imagining the horror shows that must be occurring in many of my students' homes while they are stuck there. My instructional coach told me today that they've already had several CPS reports going in by teachers who have been on Zoom calls with students and had to report things they saw in the background. My first Zoom "office hour" is Friday, and I have mixed feelings about it.
    I wondered how many teachers put up work assignments once a week vs taught classes online.   Seems different things happening even in the same schools.
    I'm in a very, very small district surrounded by very, very large districts. We were told to do absolutely nothing for several week before the leaders came up with a unified plan. The most consistently viable plan from what I can tell in all my reading is what we are doing -- pre-recorded lessons, one activity following up on the lesson, feedback, office hours once a week. Zoom has worked to modify its security features to assist schools with that. 

The larger districts around me tried to go big with synchronous distance learning and it's been a complete disaster for them. One of them I previously worked for is a so-called premier leader of the nation- haha, bells and whistles I can attest to. Their Superintendent for IT just lost her job yesterday, it's been that bad. The ones who are successfully transitioning to true distance learning contracted out with companies like K-12 who have been doing it for decades. Yes, schools have been using tech in classrooms for a while in "blended learning" models. But no school system in this nation has the capacity to do what corporations like K-12 do. Nobody was ready for a situation like this. I guess we will moving forward :-).
    The "educators" here just send us links either late Sunday night/early Monday morning. And then they just fuck off for the rest of the week as far as teaching is concerned. They do make one Zoom social call once a week. No education happening in those, though, it's just a wellness check of sorts, I think.

And we're supposed to be in a good district. :lol: It's why we chose this shitty nowhere town over other towns that actually have cultural institutions and other such things that make life worth living.

I've basically just told my kids that the school year is over and to do whatever the fuck they want. I'm sure they'll learn more from doing just that than they will by looking at IXL or Epic or whatever other bullshit websites these people try to come up with and send to us to feel as though they're worth a fuck. I've been on a mission to get the superintendent fired since well before the pandemic crisis hit. She's garbage.

As parents who did not study education, we're doing our part by trying to show them how school subjects apply to things we do, observe or sometimes don't even think about in our daily lives (e.g., cooking, gardening, playing music, Wiffle ball, four square, etc.). Besides, I was teaching math all wrong; they don't solve math problems in the same way we did when we were in school.  
    I think most districts are doing that. We are required to post lessons and assignments for the week on Monday at 2:00 to allow flexibility. Some parents are still working, many aren’t. Most parents are taking care of kids that would normally be in school, so a rigid structure with online meetings just would’t work in most cases.
    Our principal told us we have parents complaining there isn’t enough work and just as many complaining there’s too much. So that probably means there’s a good balance. 
    We’ve tried several things and just had a meeting yesterday. The only think kids are consistently doing right now is a reading/worksheet. We’ve tried projects, research topics, virtual labs, etc. I’ll get maybe 25% of kids participate on those. I get about 70% participation in a reading and worksheet assignment. We usually accompany the reading with a video or recorded PowerPoint going over things too.
    Is Mondays lesson for the following week provided?  Monday at 2 seems an odd deadline for the week....but perhaps the lessons are provided for Tues-Mon?  
    I'm sure there are lots of issues ...sounds like you are doing more than our district is asked to.
    It’s for the whole week. Give work by Monday at 2:00, due the following Monday.
    i think it is a little random, but they wanted it uniform. So all subjects and grades are posted Monday by 2 for the week.
    Mike D88 said:
    Wrong. You often need >50% immunity in the population for herd immunity. For SARS-2 that threshold may be as high as ~80%, a larger number than was even projected to get the virus at one point.
    mcgruff10 said:
    Cool. I volunteer you.

You know the only way to get herd immunity is to leave your fucking house?  Me leaving my house along with thousands of others won't cut it.  They need to open it up.  Those who are afraid can stay home.  Free will.  It's a big thing in America.
  • jeffbrjeffbr Posts: 7,177
    I'm in Arizona.  Soon.  I will be out the first day shit opens.  In fact, throwing a party this weekend with some friends. 6 weeks is enough.  WE flattened the curve.  Time to move on.  The goal was not to wait the virus out for the next 20 fucking years while they make a vaccine.  
    Just flattening the curve isn't the end goal. That was done to not overwhelm the hospital systems. Based on your posts today here and elsewhere on the forum I'm not sure you really understand how this works. Your herd immunity numbers are off, you don't seem to understand the reasoning behind flattening the curve, and you seem to think it will take 20 years for a vaccine to be developed. It sounds like you're about to become part of the problem rather than the solution.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    I laughed at that last part, Mike. 

Sorry.
    edited April 2020
    Mike D88 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Cool. I volunteer you.

You know the only way to get herd immunity is to leave your fucking house?  Me leaving my house along with thousands of others won't cut it.  They need to open it up.  Those who are afraid can stay home.  Free will.  It's a big thing in America.
    Ok cool.  However before leaving the house or having your super cool party you have to agree to not use a Ventalitor just in case you get covid19.  They should be reserved for people who follow the rules.  

And holy hyperbole, we ve been on “lock down” for a whole five weeks. 
    edited April 2020
    You don't know what flattening the curve means. 

Go read up.
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,331
    Well have I got the perfect thread for you!

https://community.pearljam.com/discussion/70608/this-weeks-darwin-award-winner/p1
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,636
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14

Go read up.
    He a planning his super cool house party, no time to read up. 
    Dude (not you emil) just pray Arizona doesn’t become what me and my family are living through in New Jersey. This virus is no fucking joke.  My old neighbor was on a ventilator for 37 days while losing his mom and three siblings to covid19.  
  • house party.

sounds 2 hype.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • CM189191CM189191 Posts: 6,927
    mcgruff10 said:

Go read up.
    He a planning his super cool house party, no time to read up. 
    Dude (not you emil) just pray Arizona doesn’t become what me and my family are living through in New Jersey. This virus is no fucking joke.  My old neighbor was on a ventilator for 37 days while losing his mom and three siblings to covid19.  
    it's ok, there's no old people in AZ....
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,118
    One man's house party is another man's Trump rally.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Is there proof that Cuomo even really had the virus?   Easy to set up in your basement and televise agenda vs the President..Hype up your Bro....

i thought I was a cynic.

Guilty...and CNN is as far left as Fox is right..
    And if you look to your left, you'll see credibility flying right out the window!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    edited April 2020
    I was gonna post this great Giesecke interview after I was done with work. 

But it's already put behind a paywall. 

Oh man...

you guys really missed out. 

Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,945
    Not sure where you got your numbers from.  13.9% tested positive for antibodies.  This was done on a 3,000 person sample size.  Hard to get 2.7MM positive tests when only 3,000 were tested.  When you apply that percentage to NY’s 19MM population, THEN you come up with “as many as 2.7MM may have been infected.”  If you read the article in greater detail, you’d also see that the study intentionally sought out people that were active and leaving the house. In other words, those that were frequenting grocery stores, hardware stores, etc. instead of those that were isolated to their homes.  Folks that were more likely to have antibodies because they were more likely to have been exposed.  So good luck with your premature victory lap.  Hopefully no one at your big bash is impacted by the “dumbest shit ever.” 
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,584
    mcgruff10 said:

Holy shit, what rock did you crawl out from under?  You really think this thing is going to stop at 50,000 deaths?  Or 100,000?  Harmless, you say?  Unfortunately, no fucking way. 

Jam it, Jim.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

This discussion has been closed.