The coronavirus

Comments

• SHZASHZA Posts: 3,889
    bbiggs said:
    Here's what I don't understand about the U.S.'s approach.  Just about every state bought in to the stay at home orders.  This lasted 4-5 weeks or so and many states are now starting to get antsy and want to open back up.  In the meantime, the virus cases and deaths continue to rise, so we haven't seen the peak.  What was the point in locking down to begin with if you weren't going to at least ride it out until after the peak?  Seems pretty pointless to me.  It's the wild west around here with no sense of direction.  Buckle up.
    I believe it's inaccurate to say the US hasn't hit a peak -- the daily death toll has declined since April 15. But I agree that easing up too soon would surely cause a fresh spike.  
  • dankinddankind Posts: 20,832
    dankind said:
    You can't open up parts of the country if schools aren't open.  The kids need some sort of care and if parents are working the kids most of the time can't be left alone.
    Dude, most of us grew up alone, did we not? 

And we turned out fine. I mean, we're pretty much the only generation being responsible about this whole thing.

Roger Waters said it best, "Leave them kids alone."
    It doesn't necessarily make it right though?

Parents rely on school as a caretaker.

Just sayin'.
    Also, not necessarily right, though.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,584
    SHZA said:
    bbiggs said:
    Here's what I don't understand about the U.S.'s approach.  Just about every state bought in to the stay at home orders.  This lasted 4-5 weeks or so and many states are now starting to get antsy and want to open back up.  In the meantime, the virus cases and deaths continue to rise, so we haven't seen the peak.  What was the point in locking down to begin with if you weren't going to at least ride it out until after the peak?  Seems pretty pointless to me.  It's the wild west around here with no sense of direction.  Buckle up.
    I believe it's inaccurate to say the US hasn't hit a peak -- the daily death toll has declined since April 15. But I agree that easing up too soon would surely cause a fresh spike.  

My understanding is the peak has/ will occur at different times in different places.  For example, last I heard, California will not peak until sometime in May, possibly even late May.  Governor Newsom will be on in 1/2 hour and will probably update that.

And what constitutes "peak" may be treacherously deceiving.  A second wave could eclipse the first one.  It blows my mind when I hear people think we are "almost out of the woods".  I sure wish it were so, but we're not.  We're not even all the way into the woods yet.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,945
    pjl44 said:
    bbiggs said:
    Alternate headline: 

Watching Tucker Carlson saved lives
    Yes.  Forgive me.  I'm not trying to put a biased spin on anything.  If you've followed my comments over time, you'll know I'm much more in the middle than most.  I don't have a problem with Tucker Carlson for the most part.  My post was about the study that focused on Hannity's show.  There are a lot of media outlets/ reporting that could have saved lives, like the suggestion that Tucker Carlson's did.  Not as many that were as reckless (in my opinion) as Hannity's with downplaying the severity of the disease.

• pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,114
    brianlux said:
    SHZA said:
    bbiggs said:

My understanding is the peak has/ will occur at different times in different places.  For example, last I heard, California will not peak until sometime in May, possibly even late May.  Governor Newsom will be on in 1/2 hour and will probably update that.

And what constitutes "peak" may be treacherously deceiving.  A second wave could eclipse the first one.  It blows my mind when I hear people think we are "almost out of the woods".  I sure wish it were so, but we're not.  We're not even all the way into the woods yet.
    I think it's a slow walk out of the woods and we're close to taking the first few steps. For instance, I think it won't be too long before you can (with precautions) visit in small groups with family/friends or get a haircut. On the other hand I think we're a ways away from filling an arena for a concert or basketball game. Although I'd LOVE to be wrong on the latter.
    pjl44 said:
    bbiggs said:
    It becomes clear as you continue to read, but you have to get 30 paragraphs in before you reach this...kinda important...caveat. Wild headline, though.

Probably a shitty study without much merit.  I found in interesting nonetheless.
  • SHZASHZA Posts: 3,889
    brianlux said:
    SHZA said:
    bbiggs said:

And by that logic, within California there are multiple places that will hit their peaks at different times.

It really is crazy to think that all of the sacrifices people have made to this point to flatten the curve could be wasted by relaxing things too soon. 
    bbiggs said:
    pjl44 said:
    bbiggs said:
    Alternate headline: 

Yes.  Forgive me.  I'm not trying to put a biased spin on anything.  If you've followed my comments over time, you'll know I'm much more in the middle than most.  I don't have a problem with Tucker Carlson for the most part.  My post was about the study that focused on Hannity's show.  There are a lot of media outlets/ reporting that could have saved lives, like the suggestion that Tucker Carlson's did.  Not as many that were as reckless (in my opinion) as Hannity's with downplaying the severity of the disease.

For sure, man. I think we've agreed on a bunch of stuff previously. I just think Vox framed that in a very misleading way to get a predictable response. I'm not sure how useful a study is that compares Hannity and Tucker. It's set up to essentially produce the same headline, regardless of which way the data fell.
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,584
    pjl44 said:
    brianlux said:
    SHZA said:
    bbiggs said:

I think it's a slow walk out of the woods and we're close to taking the first few steps. For instance, I think it won't be too long before you can (with precautions) visit in small groups with family/friends or get a haircut. On the other hand I think we're a ways away from filling an arena for a concert or basketball game. Although I'd LOVE to be wrong on the latter.

Oh my- getting out and being with people again will be soooooooo good!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,061
    hedonist said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Sweden has nearly 10 times the number of COVID-19-related deaths than its Nordic neighbors. Here's where it went wrong.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/sweden-nearly-10-times-number-210442597.html

Sweden's controversial coronavirus strategy has led to nearly 10 times the number of deaths of other Nordic countries — and it serves as a counterargument to US citizens calling for their country to reopen.

Sweden has yet to order any lockdowns amid the novel coronavirus pandemic, according to AFP. The country has left schools, restaurants, and gyms open, and while the government banned gatherings over 50 people and urged residents to self-isolate, life appears to be largely unchanged.

Sweden's lack of strict lockdowns contrasts sharply with the rest of Europe, and it has yet to see a downturn in COVID-19 cases. The country — which has a population of about 10.2 million — has seen 15,322 cases and 1,765 deaths from the virus so far, making the death rate per capita at 17.3 deaths per 100,000 people.

Sweden's Nordic neighbors Norway and Finland approached the virus differently, and it could be why they're facing just a fraction of COVID-19-related deaths.

Norway went into lockdown in mid-March, closing schools, restaurants, cultural events, gyms, and tourist attractions. It also banned outside travelers. Finland, which has been stockpiling medical supplies since the Cold War, restricted border traffic, banned gatherings of 10 or more people, and closed schools as part of its coronavirus guidelines.

Norway, which has nearly 5.4 million people, has seen 7,191 cases and 182 deaths, with a death rate per capita at 3.37 deaths per 100,000 people. Finland, with a population of 5.5 million, has seen 4,014 COVID-19 cases and 141 deaths, with a death rate per capita at 2.56 deaths per 100,000 people.

For a further comparison, the United States, which has a population of 328.2 million, has seen 800,932 confirmed COVID-19 cases, and 43,006 deaths, with a death rate per capita at 13.1 deaths per 100,000 people.

Anders Tegnell, the state epidemiologist who created Sweden's relaxed coronavirus response plan, told local media that the country's fatality rates show the spread of the virus is starting to "plateau," according to Bloomberg.

Charts released by Pantheon Macroeconomics, however, contradict Tegnell. Sweden's COVID-19 cases appear to still be rising, and Norway's appear to already be on a downslide.

Bo Lundback, a professor of epidemiology at the University of Gothenburg, told Agence Frances-Press that a change needed to happen.

"The authorities and the government stupidly did not believe that the epidemic would reach Sweden at all," he said.

Some 2,300 academics signed an open letter last month calling for Sweden to reconsider its approach to the virus, according to Fox News.

Cecilia Soderberg-Naucler, a professor at the Karolinska Institute who signed the letter, told Fox News: "We must establish control over the situation — we cannot head into a situation where we get complete chaos. No one has tried this route, so why should we test it first in Sweden, without informed consent?"

Swedes so far have been refraining from travel, according to Bloomberg, and its foreign minister, Ann Linde, said in an interview with Radio Sweden that its rules "affect the whole society," according to Bloomberg.

You ever played Mario Kart bro?
    Can you break this down into actual language for those of us not into Mario Kart, bro?

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,543
    pjl44 said:
    bbiggs said:
    pjl44 said:
    bbiggs said:
    Alternate headline: 

For sure, man. I think we've agreed on a bunch of stuff previously. I just think Vox framed that in a very misleading way to get a predictable response. I'm not sure how useful a study is that compares Hannity and Tucker. It's set up to essentially produce the same headline, regardless of which way the data fell.
    I stopped reading most of what Vox put out a few years back because it was usually skewed. Still sometimes find it interesting, but in the same way I find Fox interesting.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • dankinddankind Posts: 20,832
    brianlux said:
    pjl44 said:
    brianlux said:
    SHZA said:
    bbiggs said:

Speak for yourself, man!

This introvert is loving life right now!
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    brianlux said:
    pjl44 said:
    brianlux said:
    SHZA said:
    bbiggs said:

Speak for yourself, man!

This introvert is loving life right now!
    I've jokingly said that I've been practicing social-distancing my entire life.   
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 40,005
    SHZA said:
    brianlux said:
    SHZA said:
    bbiggs said:

And by that logic, within California there are multiple places that will hit their peaks at different times.

It really is crazy to think that all of the sacrifices people have made to this point to flatten the curve could be wasted by relaxing things too soon. 

There is a model that the Whitehouse uses that shows that 25 states should remain in lockdown until almost the end of May.
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,118
    JimmyV said:
    We are officially closed down through 5/4, but the schools - which usually get out the third or fourth week of June - have been closed through the end of the school year.

So I missed this part yesterday but apparently daycares are closed until 6/29. Makes sense given the school closures but I don't see how many parents will be able to return to work full-time without some kind of childcare.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,253
    This past weekend this hospital discharged its 1,000th Corona patient and the very 1st C19 intubated pt has been moved to a rehab center and it’s now testing negative after 6 1/2 weeks on ventilator..I’m staying positive 
    Only 1 person survived on the ventilator?  That's not good news but at least 1 was saved.
    I read that differently. It just said the first patient was discharged after 6 1/2 weeks. There were probably lots of others who where placed on ventilators after him and discharged sooner.
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 10,657
    edited April 2020
    dankind said:
    You can't open up parts of the country if schools aren't open.  The kids need some sort of care and if parents are working the kids most of the time can't be left alone.
    Dude, most of us grew up alone, did we not? 

And we turned out fine. I mean, we're pretty much the only generation being responsible about this whole thing.

Roger Waters said it best, "Leave them kids alone."
    Yup. I was one of those latchkey kids. Both my parents worked.

• Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,834
    pjl44 said:
    bbiggs said:
    pjl44 said:
    bbiggs said:
    Alternate headline: 

Carlson was talking about the dangers of the disease going back to January when countries outside of China first began having infections. His coverage of it has been night-and-day compared to Hannity, who’s just being a Trump cheerleader as always. 

The hyperbole of “Carlson saves lives while Hannity kills” or whatever that study suggested actually isn’t that far off. Maybe Carlson doesn’t deserve a medal for it, because it’s not like other cable news outlets weren’t reporting on the dangers of the virus too (though I do think Carlson was ahead of most of them). But if you’re just a typical Fox News viewer who tuned in for information on the virus in this time of crisis, Carlson gave you news and Hannity fed you bullshit. 

Carlson’s even been critical of Trump during the last month. He won’t come out and name him (gotta keep your job I guess), but he’s lamented the “federal government” and our “leadership” as problems during the pandemic. Last night or the night before, he did actually call out Trump’s most recent executive order as something that won’t help anything. Carlson’s no prize, but at least he’s not hopeless like Hannity. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,061
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • CM189191CM189191 Posts: 6,927

• cutz said:

Wow.  I won't even comment on his stance (which is not a bad one) but his energy....wow.  o kept waiting for the signs of a stroke but he made it through.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    cutz said:

Wow.  I won't even comment on his stance (which is not a bad one) but his energy....wow.  o kept waiting for the signs of a stroke but he made it through.
    I thought his never ending spit shower at the camera was the most impressive part. 
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    Helpful! And an absolute pleasure to watch. 
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 38,197
    That mayor of Vegas is whack, yo!
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,331
    That mayor of Vegas is whack, yo!
    https://twitter.com/joshtpm/status/1253041723510587394?s=12

She doesn't sound crazy at all.
    tbergs said:
    pjl44 said:
    bbiggs said:
    pjl44 said:
    bbiggs said:
    Alternate headline: 

I stopped reading most of what Vox put out a few years back because it was usually skewed. Still sometimes find it interesting, but in the same way I find Fox interesting.
    Too true. Jane Coaston writes some great stuff for Vox and hopefully too many people don't miss it because they're so wonky.
    JimmyV said:
    JimmyV said:
    We are officially closed down through 5/4, but the schools - which usually get out the third or fourth week of June - have been closed through the end of the school year.

So I missed this part yesterday but apparently daycares are closed until 6/29. Makes sense given the school closures but I don't see how many parents will be able to return to work full-time without some kind of childcare.
    For what it's worth, daycares are not thrilled about this and are working on collectively lobbying Baker for a plan to dial that date back. It struck me as kinda crazy...there are different considerations vs. schools. We'll see what happens. 
    pjl44 said:
    bbiggs said:
    pjl44 said:
    bbiggs said:
    Alternate headline: 

Carlson was talking about the dangers of the disease going back to January when countries outside of China first began having infections. His coverage of it has been night-and-day compared to Hannity, who’s just being a Trump cheerleader as always. 

The hyperbole of “Carlson saves lives while Hannity kills” or whatever that study suggested actually isn’t that far off. Maybe Carlson doesn’t deserve a medal for it, because it’s not like other cable news outlets weren’t reporting on the dangers of the virus too (though I do think Carlson was ahead of most of them). But if you’re just a typical Fox News viewer who tuned in for information on the virus in this time of crisis, Carlson gave you news and Hannity fed you bullshit. 

Carlson’s even been critical of Trump during the last month. He won’t come out and name him (gotta keep your job I guess), but he’s lamented the “federal government” and our “leadership” as problems during the pandemic. Last night or the night before, he did actually call out Trump’s most recent executive order as something that won’t help anything. Carlson’s no prize, but at least he’s not hopeless like Hannity. 
    Can't disagree with any of that. Tucker's a weird cat. There is some shit where he is dead on, often flying in the face of any Republican orthodoxy (Trumpist or otherwise). Then other times he will have some bonkers/horrific guest or position that it negates everything else. He's like the Rand Paul of cable news.
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 10,657
    bbiggs said:
    cutz said:

I thought his never ending spit shower at the camera was the most impressive part. 
    That guy needs a mask ASAP.

This discussion has been closed.