The coronavirus

Comments

• mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,623
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:
    ^ I don’t see how naming a virus after the place it originated from is racist. I can’t find anything offensive with it. If it started in America, call it the American virus. 
    It's you versus the world community of scientists and the WHO.

Maybe let them decide.
    It doesn’t bother me at all if the world continues to call it Covid-19 as opposed to the Wuhan or Chinese Virus, but if that’s what it had been called, I see nothing offensive or racist about it. Political correctness has gone way too far. Everything is suddenly offensive. 
    yeah well, its also called SARS2
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Mike D88Mike D88 Posts: 723
    edited April 2020
    mickeyrat said:
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:
    ^ I don’t see how naming a virus after the place it originated from is racist. I can’t find anything offensive with it. If it started in America, call it the American virus. 

Maybe let them decide.
    It doesn’t bother me at all if the world continues to call it Covid-19 as opposed to the Wuhan or Chinese Virus, but if that’s what it had been called, I see nothing offensive or racist about it. Political correctness has gone way too far. Everything is suddenly offensive. 
    The virus is SARS-CoV-2. In shorthand we can all call it "coronavirus" and there's no confusion. The resulting disease is called COVID-19. No other names have ever been supported by any scientific body.

The "geographic" and "it's not racist, really" naming is ex post facto politicization, and it's usually used to bait for factual corrections and then complain about political correctness.
    i-Brzk3Rdjpg
    2008 Tampa - 2013 Buffalo - 2016 Tampa - 2016 Fenway II
    Audioslave 2005 MSG
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,253
    Mike D88 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:

Maybe let them decide.
    The virus is SARS-CoV-2. In shorthand we can all call it "coronavirus" and there's no confusion. The resulting disease is called COVID-19. No other names have ever been supported by any scientific body.

The "geographic" and "it's not racist, really" naming is ex post facto politicization, and it's usually used to bait for factual corrections and then complain about political correctness.
    What’s the real bait is using that term for weeks or even months, then all of the sudden calling it racist like the media has done.
    Every media outlet called it the Wuhan or Chinese virus until about 3 or 4 weeks ago then suddenly decided it was racist to say that. That’s baiting.
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,405
    mace1229 said:
    Mike D88 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:

Maybe let them decide.

What’s the real bait is using that term for weeks or even months, then all of the sudden calling it racist like the media has done.
    Every media outlet called it the Wuhan or Chinese virus until about 3 or 4 weeks ago then suddenly decided it was racist to say that. That’s baiting.
    No man....the media called it the Wuhan virus.  Trump called it the Chinese virus to fire up his racist base.

If a virus originates in Israel and is referred to as the "Israeli flu" that's not racism....that's reporting the news.  Calling it the "Jewish virus" would be something entirely different.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Posts: 12,844
    mace1229 said:
    Mike D88 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:

Maybe let them decide.

The media called it the Wuhan virus for months because it didn’t have another name yet. Once it was named, in early February, responsible media switched to the new correct name, whereas irresponsible media and individuals that like to stir up racist controversy continued to use the Wuhan or China terms. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Mike D88Mike D88 Posts: 723
    edited April 2020
    mace1229 said:
    "The media"... whatever the hell that's supposed to mean. I've been following this since late last year and didn't see this naming in regular use by any "mainstream" media, pop-sci media or scientific media.

Regardless: Naming infectious agents by place of discovery is a practice that ended last century. I don't care who may have "started it." Its use right now has a very specific political coloring.
    i-Brzk3Rdjpg
    2008 Tampa - 2013 Buffalo - 2016 Tampa - 2016 Fenway II
    Audioslave 2005 MSG
    mace1229 said:
    Mike D88 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:

Maybe let them decide.

No man....the media called it the Wuhan virus.  Trump called it the Chinese virus to fire up his racist base.

If a virus originates in Israel and is referred to as the "Israeli flu" that's not racism....that's reporting the news.  Calling it the "Jewish virus" would be something entirely different.
    So with your example a virus from Israel being called the Israeli flu is okay, but a virus from China being called Chinese virus is racist? I’m not following that logic.
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,112
    nicknyr15 said:
    Sucks that this China thing has become a partisan issue. China should be pressed on this from both sides. Especially considering how these markets have already started to reopen 
    The good news is that it really isn't a partisan issue

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/04/08/coronavirus-crisis-is-turning-americans-both-parties-against-china/
    Since several didn’t seem to know what the media called it, I googled it. I know this source is right wing media, but it was the first search result and the clips aren’t made up. CNN and CBS repeatedly called it the Wuhan or Chinese Coronavirus. It wasn’t they didn’t have another name, because they clearly knew it was the coronavirus. The did this for months. It’s not racist, we’ve called many viruses and diseases based where t he y came from.  So why are they calling it racist now?

• brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,572
    All this talk about what to call this virus.  Me, I just call it "That fucking virus."
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Mike D88 said:
    mace1229 said:
    "The media"... whatever the hell that's supposed to mean. I've been following this since late last year and didn't see this naming in regular use by any "mainstream" media, pop-sci media or scientific media.

Regardless: Naming infectious agents by place of discovery is a practice that ended last century. I don't care who may have "started it." Its use right now has a very specific political coloring.
    MERS was first reported in 2012, for one
    pjl44 said:
    Mike D88 said:
    mace1229 said:

MERS.....MidEast......

SARS...... SouthAsia.......

general area not specific location.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • FiveBelowFiveBelow Posts: 1,268
    edited April 2020
    mace1229 said:
    Mike D88 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:

Maybe let them decide.

Things from China are Chinese in origin. Things from Israel are not necessary Jewish. Israeli Flu is the same as Chinese Virus, why is one reporting the news but not the other?
    Post edited by FiveBelow on
    mickeyrat said:
    pjl44 said:
    Mike D88 said:
    mace1229 said:

MERS.....MidEast......

SARS is "severe acute." So region is ok, but country is bad. And if someone uses the province or city, they're basically in the Klan.
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Don't be Todd Packer
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,170
    I just finished up a Zoom chat with family in England, NC, NJ, DC & MD. I was only going to be on for 10 minutes it turned out being 115 minutes. We do this every Sunday, in this instance I'm all in with technology. Ten years ago I doubt if we would've been able to communicate like this, best fun I've had in awhile.

Oh and none of my family could answer my geography trivia ???.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• dignindignin Posts: 9,331
    mace1229 said:
    Mike D88 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:

Maybe let them decide.

Whether that's true or not I've been calling it coronavirus since the start, go to the start of this thread to see that. All the sources I use have called it that.

So if I see it used in a racist context does that mean I'm baiting?
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,383
    mickeyrat said:
    pjl44 said:
    Mike D88 said:
    mace1229 said:

MERS.....MidEast......

Lyme, Connecticut would like to have a word with you. ;)
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,945
    Can we call it the Wet Market Virus? 
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,572
    bbiggs said:

That would probably work although I still prefer "That fucking virus"!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,945
    brianlux said:
    bbiggs said:

That would probably work although I still prefer "That fucking virus"!
    I like that one too! 
  • Social Distancing.....
    edited April 2020
    bbiggs said:
    I am sure someone will say “Wet Market” is racist .
    mcgruff10 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    pjl44 said:
    Mike D88 said:
    mace1229 said:

MERS.....MidEast......

so human beings are eating infected ticks? Lyme disease is contagious? Is it worldwide?

edited April 2020
    mickeyrat said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    pjl44 said:
    Mike D88 said:
    mace1229 said:

MERS.....MidEast......

so human beings are eating infected ticks? Lyme disease is contagious? Is it worldwide?
    Roasted Ticks are a delicacy along the jersey shore. 

• cutzcutz Posts: 11,751
    Social Distancing.....
    They won't be laughing if they catch this shit, will they?
    edited April 2020
    dignin said:
    mace1229 said:
    Mike D88 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:

Maybe let them decide.

Whether that's true or not I've been calling it coronavirus since the start, go to the start of this thread to see that. All the sources I use have called it that.

If you’ve never called it the Chinese virus and you honestly see that as being racist, then no I wouldn’t say you’re baiting. I’d just disagree with you.
    But for those who did call the the Wuhan or Chinese virus for weeks and are now suddenly saying that’s racist, I would say they are baiting. Or trying to stir up some fake controversy. 
    Post edited by mace1229 on
    mcgruff10 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    pjl44 said:
    Mike D88 said:
    mace1229 said:

MERS.....MidEast......

Lyme disease was discovered in the 70s. 

The WHO guidelines against naming infectious diseases were published in 2015. By far, the place-name specific diseases that people are bringing up now as "gotchas" were named before that. 

We can't go back in time, but we can do better going forward. Insisting on calling this Wuhan virus or Chinese virus is not doing better, it's deliberately doing worse. 
    mace1229 said:
    dignin said:
    mace1229 said:
    Mike D88 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:

Maybe let them decide.

If you’ve never called it the Chinese virus and you honestly see that as being racist, then no I wouldn’t say you’re baiting. I’d just disagree with you.
    But for those who did call the the Wuhan or Chinese virus for weeks and are now suddenly saying that’s racist, I would say they are baiting. Or trying to stir up some fake controversy. 

But that's not the correct name, so no, people objecting to someone calling it an incorrect name is not "trying to stir up controversy" - it's the person insisting on calling it an incorrect name despite the clear connotations that is stirring up controversy. 
    mace1229 said:
    dignin said:
    mace1229 said:
    Mike D88 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:

Maybe let them decide.

But that's not the correct name, so no, people objecting to someone calling it an incorrect name is not "trying to stir up controversy" - it's the person insisting on calling it an incorrect name despite the clear connotations that is stirring up controversy. 
    I agree. That’s why I said that applies for those who used the exact same name for months, then suddenly decide it’s racist. Dozens of journalists and anchors called it one name for weeks, then suddenly decide its racist and act like a gotcha moment calling the president and others out for using the exact same name. It’s ridiculous.  That’s what I was referring to.
This discussion has been closed.