The coronavirus

Comments

• The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,406
    mace1229 said:
    But anyone who is calling out Trump and anyone else as racist for calling it a Chinese virus I hope they’re treating CNN and Gayle King as racists too. But I’m not seeing that.
    A commons theme I have seen here and elsewhere. Trump supporters seem to be much more concerned with him being labeled a racist than they do with his overwhelmingly shitty response to this pandemic which has resulted in tens of thousands of American deaths.
    Well if people would stop harping on the fact that Trump calls it the Chinese Virus, his supporters wouldn't have to be concerned with him being labeled a racist (I think they're used to that anyway), and might have to face the reality of how poor his response to the pandemic has been. 

This has been a problem with people that oppose Trump from the beginning. It's almost like a cop framing an already guilty man....you give them a way out that they don't deserve (see: Simpson, OJ). Pretend for a second that you're a Trump-fan. What would your rather argue about with a Trump-hater; his actual handling of the pandemic, or whether calling it the Chinese virus is racist? Obviously the latter. Trump, like his fans, love that liberals are upset about his words, because it distracts from his actions (or inaction).
    I see it differently. Rational people have stopped harping on that since Trump stopped calling it that weeks ago. At this point it's, primarily, Trump supporters who bring the subject up because, as you said they would prefer to talk about that bullshit as opposed to their dear leader's failed response which has lead to countless more deaths on his watch. 

Whenever I talk/argue with someone about this horrible effort from the Trump admin, the Trump supporter ALWAYS brings up the China travel ban (even though hundreds of thousands of people traveled to and from there since) and they then always bring up the fact that Trump was called racist for doing so just like he was called racist for referring to it as the Chinese Virus. Every. Single. Time.---it is a Trump supporter who brings this up. 

That's why I felt the Billy Maher thing was odd timing. 

Incidentally---Trump has said and done racially sensitive things for over 4 decades now, so questioning his motive for referring to it as the Chinese Virus while the rest of the world referred to it as something else is totally valid. To me, the bigger issue was him doing that was just causing yet another unnecessary distraction during a time when we needed total focus.
    Yeah I don't disagree with this. He's totally using it as a distraction technique. But I think it's working to a degree. Even reporters in his press conferences bring it up. I bet when they do, he thinks, "Oh thank god" and goes into this routine. It's easier for him to say "fake news blah blah blah" than it is to defend his response to the pandemic, his travel-band notwithstanding because that actually was a good idea. But that was his ONLY good idea and that was two months ago. 

As for Maher, if it's all about politics (he's on one-side, Trump's on the other), then yes, odd timing. But, if it's something he believes in, he should talk about it. I was in 100% agreement with him. That doesn't mean I like Trump, or that I think he SHOULD be calling it the Chinese Virus, but he is and it's another in a long line of distraction techniques...and I guess it's working because we're talking about it. 

Some people feel like you have to be on one side or the other of EVERYTHING. Trump's being mean to China. So who's side are you on? Trump or China? Fuck that, I side with neither. The possibility of xenophobia against Chinese Americans due to Trump's rhetoric is concerning to me. But people waking up and realizing how evil and awful the Chinese government is? I'm all for that. Unfortunately, I don't think Trump's rhetoric will lead to that...but it will be a nice silver-lining if it did. 
    I stopped watching the briefings a while ago so I wasn't aware people were still asking him questions about it. I honestly don't even see articles being written about it anymore and haven't seen any talk of it on the news except for when they go back and talk about all his missteps in February and March. 

But, yeah....if there's any talk about just a whiff of racism, Trump supporters are definitely signing up for that argument as opposed to stuff that actually matters! 

www.myspace.com
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,834
    mace1229 said:
    But anyone who is calling out Trump and anyone else as racist for calling it a Chinese virus I hope they’re treating CNN and Gayle King as racists too. But I’m not seeing that.
    A commons theme I have seen here and elsewhere. Trump supporters seem to be much more concerned with him being labeled a racist than they do with his overwhelmingly shitty response to this pandemic which has resulted in tens of thousands of American deaths.
    Well if people would stop harping on the fact that Trump calls it the Chinese Virus, his supporters wouldn't have to be concerned with him being labeled a racist (I think they're used to that anyway), and might have to face the reality of how poor his response to the pandemic has been. 

This has been a problem with people that oppose Trump from the beginning. It's almost like a cop framing an already guilty man....you give them a way out that they don't deserve (see: Simpson, OJ). Pretend for a second that you're a Trump-fan. What would your rather argue about with a Trump-hater; his actual handling of the pandemic, or whether calling it the Chinese virus is racist? Obviously the latter. Trump, like his fans, love that liberals are upset about his words, because it distracts from his actions (or inaction).
    I see it differently. Rational people have stopped harping on that since Trump stopped calling it that weeks ago. At this point it's, primarily, Trump supporters who bring the subject up because, as you said they would prefer to talk about that bullshit as opposed to their dear leader's failed response which has lead to countless more deaths on his watch. 

Whenever I talk/argue with someone about this horrible effort from the Trump admin, the Trump supporter ALWAYS brings up the China travel ban (even though hundreds of thousands of people traveled to and from there since) and they then always bring up the fact that Trump was called racist for doing so just like he was called racist for referring to it as the Chinese Virus. Every. Single. Time.---it is a Trump supporter who brings this up. 

Incidentally---Trump has said and done racially sensitive things for over 4 decades now, so questioning his motive for referring to it as the Chinese Virus while the rest of the world referred to it as something else is totally valid. To me, the bigger issue was him doing that was just causing yet another unnecessary distraction during a time when we needed total focus.
    Yeah I don't disagree with this. He's totally using it as a distraction technique. But I think it's working to a degree. Even reporters in his press conferences bring it up. I bet when they do, he thinks, "Oh thank god" and goes into this routine. It's easier for him to say "fake news blah blah blah" than it is to defend his response to the pandemic, his travel-band notwithstanding because that actually was a good idea. But that was his ONLY good idea and that was two months ago. 

As for Maher, if it's all about politics (he's on one-side, Trump's on the other), then yes, odd timing. But, if it's something he believes in, he should talk about it. I was in 100% agreement with him. That doesn't mean I like Trump, or that I think he SHOULD be calling it the Chinese Virus, but he is and it's another in a long line of distraction techniques...and I guess it's working because we're talking about it. 

Some people feel like you have to be on one side or the other of EVERYTHING. Trump's being mean to China. So who's side are you on? Trump or China? Fuck that, I side with neither. The possibility of xenophobia against Chinese Americans due to Trump's rhetoric is concerning to me. But people waking up and realizing how evil and awful the Chinese government is? I'm all for that. Unfortunately, I don't think Trump's rhetoric will lead to that...but it will be a nice silver-lining if it did. 
    I stopped watching the briefings a while ago so I wasn't aware people were still asking him questions about it. I honestly don't even see articles being written about it anymore and haven't seen any talk of it on the news except for when they go back and talk about all his missteps in February and March. 

But, yeah....if there's any talk about just a whiff of racism, Trump supporters are definitely signing up for that argument as opposed to stuff that actually matters! 

Well to be honest, I haven’t watched one of those briefings in about a week so maybe they’ve stopped asking him about it. The new thing going around is he might fire Fauci. Apparently he replied to a tweet suggesting Fauci he fired, and he didn’t shoot that idea down in his reply. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,945
    mace1229 said:

Well to be honest, I haven’t watched one of those briefings in about a week so maybe they’ve stopped asking him about it. The new thing going around is he might fire Fauci. Apparently he replied to a tweet suggesting Fauci he fired, and he didn’t shoot that idea down in his reply. 
    If he fires Fauci, I'd like to get a valid explanation as to why.  From what I have seen out of Fauci, he is clearly knowledgeable and qualified for the job, and he sticks to the science and facts.  So, if he gets fired, there better be a damn good reason.

bbiggs said:
    mace1229 said:

If he fires Fauci, I'd like to get a valid explanation as to why.  From what I have seen out of Fauci, he is clearly knowledgeable and qualified for the job, and he sticks to the science and facts.  So, if he gets fired, there better be a damn good reason.

Yes, and this is why Trump doesn't like him. Science and facts (ESPECIALLY facts) aren't exactly in Trump's wheelhouse. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

*** THE MAN OF THE HOUR JOHAN GIESECKE ***

Question: Trump might not support WHO anymore - what is your thought on that?
    Giesecke: This is not the first time the americans has done this. They push WHO a lot to the direction they want it to be headed. They pay a lot to the WHO but it's with strings attached - meaning they always want the organization to be run the way that servers their interests.

Question: The situation Norway versus Sweden, looking so differently when it comes to the amount of dead. How is this explained?
    Giesecke: There is actually an explanation, that I happen to believe is correct. We were unlucky in Sweden with the virus getting in to our retirement homes very quickly. And in Norway this has started much later. Come back to me in a few weeks, and I don't think the differences will be as big anymore. 

Kerstin asks if suffering from pollen allergy will make the corona infection worse?
    Giesecke: No.

Roland asks if the virus has changed/mutaded so that is its now affecting the young much more. That's what happened with "the asian" (the virus pandemic in 1957) he remembers. 
    Giesecke: That is true, but there are no signs that this is happening to this current virus.

Someone asks about a "walking buddy" she/he has that says he can not be a bearer of the virus, because he feels completely healthy. And is taking no strides to follow restrictions. Should I avoid taking walks with him? We are both above 70.
    Giesecke: You should talk reason with him. But you can keep take walks. It is a very good activity. 

Robin asks, if so many are without symptoms, won't we see a big peak when we open up society again?
    Giesecke: There is something to what he says. And I can talk for hours about opening up society, but will spare you that. But it won't be easy. You have to lift restrictions one at a time. Test one at a time. 

Harriet asks, if the virus when reaching the lungs turn into pneumonia - then why not treat it with antibiotics?
    Giesecke: This is what happened to a large extent with The Spanish Flu ("Kansas Flu" on this board?) a 100 years ago. People often died in pneumonia that came after the virus. But not here. People dying in Corona (not using "the chinese virus") they die of the virus itself in their lungs.

Mia askas, she got confirmed that she had Corona yesterday. Now will her husband infect his colleagues and others? He doesn't have any symptoms.
    Giesecke: He should keep working. He doesn't infect his colleagues. If he doesn't feel sick - he should work. But the slightest sympton, stay home.

Göran asks if we are sure that all the Corona viruses are coming from China? Have viruses been born at other places?
    Giesecke: Most from southeast asia. Because of people living very close, and living very close to animals. That can be spoken of at leangth. But the swineflu that came around a few years ago, that actually started in Mexico and southern california (He doesn't call it "california flu", but maybe people on this board and Bill Maher does?). So it's not always China.

Sia, asks if those who has taken a flu shot could be better shielded from the virus?

Göran asks, there is talk about herd immunity. So, we need 6 million people having the virus? With my limited math-skills we are way off on hitting those numbers.
    Giesecke: First, many has had this virus without noticing. Then, how many we need for her immunity - yes, about 5-6 million people and that we won't reach this first wave. The risk is we will have a pretty big wave come this fall.

Helena asks, she starts every day with checking her fever, taking deep breaths and than a 2 kilometer walk. Then, she can't have the virus?
    Giesecke: You can have it without symptoms. But it sounds like a great way to start the day.

We get a lot of questions coming in about face masks - do they work or not?
    Giesecke: Good facemasks work in the healthcare environment. Walking around outside all day with a facemask, and especially the white ones with rubberbands around the ears are rather pointless.

Someone asks if double coffee-filters could help
    Giesecke: *laughs* It's not worse than the ones with rubber bands around the ears at least.

Someone asks, us people with eyeglasses - shouldn't we be better protected.
    Giesecke: *laughs* Yeah, there can be something to that. But there are no studies of it, that I can tell you. But the idea is interesting. 

Jörgen asks, what do you want to tell the people crowding on the cities outdoor seating areas at restaurants?
    Giesecke: It looks like restrictions will be a lot stricter on this going forward. All restaurants to not take their responsibility. 

Hans asks, my father in-law has been let out of the hospital. When can we meet him again?
    Giesecke: 7 days after first symptom, and 2 days after last symptom.

Someone asks - how long does the virus live on different surfaces. 
    Giesecke: There are different information coming about that - from minutes to a day. A day I do not believe. But for a while it will live.

Kristina asks if different blood groups are better or worse in getting the virus
    Giesecke: There are studies about just this. But don't remember of the top of my head, what blood group.

Someone asks, can it transfer from visiting the restroom.

Finally, Desiree asks - how long will all of this take?
    The worst is over in a few weeks. But untill it is completely gone, months.

Some of this is a bit reckless, some of it is criminally irresponsible, and some of it is flat out false!
    This man is a fucking menace.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 8,282
    Really good Cuomo interview on Stern today. 
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,383
    nicknyr15 said:
    Andrew or Chris?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Posts: 10,659
    mcgruff10 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Andrew or Chris?
    Andrew
    mcgruff10 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Andrew or Chris?
    lol, I was just about to ask “Sonny or Fredo?”

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,945
    mcgruff10 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Andrew or Chris?
    lol, I was just about to ask “Sonny or Fredo?”
    Haha...now that is good!

• tbergstbergs Posts: 9,543
    Nice story about a 7 year old running a mini marathon in his backyard to raise money. Lots of great people out there in the world yet.

According to ABC-affiliate WWAY, Burgess's mom, Eliza Burgess, said he decided he would run for 6 hours in his backyard to raise money for hospitals, food banks, and missions in his community like Vigilant Hope, Meals for Heroes and Nourish NC.

"It started out as something fun to do," Eliza Burgess said. "Then, I saw he was serious about it, so I thought, 'Let's share this and uplift some people.' I have been blown away by the amount of people who want to donate."

Around 37,000 steps later, Steven Burgess raised more than $1,500.

https://abc7news.com/coronavirus-nc-covid-19-case-coroanvirus-update-thank-you-helpers/6099533/
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,572
    Look closely!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

edited April 2020
    brianlux said:
    Look closely!

Ugh....The English Patient. Elaine, you don’t like the movie? 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,406
    tbergs said:
    Nice story about a 7 year old running a mini marathon in his backyard to raise money. Lots of great people out there in the world yet.

According to ABC-affiliate WWAY, Burgess's mom, Eliza Burgess, said he decided he would run for 6 hours in his backyard to raise money for hospitals, food banks, and missions in his community like Vigilant Hope, Meals for Heroes and Nourish NC.

"It started out as something fun to do," Eliza Burgess said. "Then, I saw he was serious about it, so I thought, 'Let's share this and uplift some people.' I have been blown away by the amount of people who want to donate."

https://abc7news.com/coronavirus-nc-covid-19-case-coroanvirus-update-thank-you-helpers/6099533/
    I bet I could beat that kid in a race.
    www.myspace.com
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Posts: 12,844
    brianlux said:
    Look closely!

:lol:
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    tbergs said:

I bet I could beat that kid in a race.
    I'll bet $100 on the kid. 
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 Posts: 10,739

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Mike D88Mike D88 Posts: 723
    bbiggs said:
    Trump likely views Fauci as an obstacle to getting the economy reopened, and Trump views the economy as the only way to buoy his approval.
    i-Brzk3Rdjpg
    2008 Tampa - 2013 Buffalo - 2016 Tampa - 2016 Fenway II
    Audioslave 2005 MSG
  • CM189191CM189191 Posts: 6,927
    bbiggs said:
    ^ They left pangolin and bat off the menu.  Strange. 
    H5N1, avian influenza
    Industry scrambles to stop fatal bird flu in South Carolina
    https://www.pbs.org/newshour/health/industry-scrambles-to-stop-fatal-bird-flu-in-south-carolina

H1N1, swine flu

I see they also left pig & chicken off the menu....strange.  I still haven't read anywhere that confirms pangolin or bat was actually sold or eaten in Wuhan.  Just that it was likely spread from pangolin to bats to people.
  • Mike D88Mike D88 Posts: 723
    CM189191 said:
    bbiggs said:
    ^ They left pangolin and bat off the menu.  Strange. 
    H5N1, avian influenza
    Industry scrambles to stop fatal bird flu in South Carolina
    https://www.pbs.org/newshour/health/industry-scrambles-to-stop-fatal-bird-flu-in-south-carolina

H1N1, swine flu

I see they also left pig & chicken off the menu....strange.  I still haven't read anywhere that confirms pangolin or bat was actually sold or eaten in Wuhan.  Just that it was likely spread from pangolin to bats to people.
    The reservoir for SARS-CoV-2 is still unknown. All we can definitively say is the virus was first discovered in humans in Wuhan, China, and that it is genetically similar to other coronaviruses that have been identified in bats and pangolins (This last part is important - this virus still has not actually been found in bats or pangolins).

Anything beyond that is conjecture.
    i-Brzk3Rdjpg
    2008 Tampa - 2013 Buffalo - 2016 Tampa - 2016 Fenway II
    Audioslave 2005 MSG
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,510
    nicknyr15 said:
    CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:
    Can we call it the Wet Market Virus? 
    I am sure someone will say “Wet Market” is racist .
    There are wet markets everywhere

Here's one in Washington DC:

The Wharf in DC is a fish market. I guess it's wet?? 
    I'd call this comment a fail at cultural relativism.
    Edit: And by the way, it's currently closed for business
    A wet market is a marketplace selling fresh meat, fish, produce, and other perishable goods as distinguished from "dry markets" that sell durable goods such as fabric and electronics. The term wet market is often used to signify a live animal market in which vendors slaughter animals upon customer purchase. 

There's one here in St Paul.  You can pick out your goat chicken or pig.  They will kill and butcher it for you there at the market.

http://www.citypages.com/restaurants/reviews/long-cheng-livestock-market-slays-your-meal-in-front-of-you-6725387

I’ve been there. Got a pig there once for a school pig roast. It’s a butcher shop.  No different from one in any small town in MN, except you can watch the animal get slaughtered if you’d like. Its not some back alley stall. They also get inspected.

Gigantic difference between a place like Long Cheng and the “wet markets” found throughout Southeast Asia and China. You won’t find live raccoons, rats, cats, and other animals in stacked cages so they can shit and piss on each other. Also there are no health inspectors coming through these places.

So a wet market is basically a butcher shop then?
    I think you missed the point... unless the point is a matter of semantics that both places butcher live animals onsite. 

If your local butcher shop sells a variety of non-domesticated animals such as bats, pangolins, bear cubs and rats that are not subject to USDA/FDA/local health safety and sanitation laws/OSHA regulations that are caught in the wild, caged and sold in an unregulated manner, then I guess they would be the same. 
    You’re being trolled by one of the best on here. Don’t waste your time. 

It should have been a one sentence discussion.  The US, Canada and Europe should only trade with countries that actively regulate food safety.
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,510
    Here is another Baffoon administration individual being totally clueless on past administrations plans for these events! https://twitter.com/thedailyedge/status/1249715836601991168?s=21

Thinking of better times. This was yesterday, looking across the Smithtown Bay towards Stony Brook towers

Today s numbers.  Ugh
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,572
    Mike D88 said:
    bbiggs said:
    Trump likely views Fauci as an obstacle to getting the economy reopened, and Trump views the economy as the only way to buoy his approval.

This!  Trump is only looking out for himself.

That said, the issue itself of when and how to reopen the economy is difficult and perplexing.  I think the best theory to far is to spend a LOT of money on testing and tracking (money that is being doled out at a rate that will only last the average person a week or so) so that people testing negative can get back to work.  I think we will find the $1200 stimulus checks will do little to help the situation and more in the long run to make it worse.  

Here, again, is the article that discusses this:

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,424
    edited April 2020
    WORLD:

New Cases Per Day
    April 10th:94,629
     April 11th:80,961
    April 12th:72,415
    Reduction of 23.5% in just three days. (22,214 less cases per day)

Deaths per day
    April 10th 6973
    April 11th 6092
    April 12th 5417
    Reduction of 22.4 % in just three days (1556 less deaths per day)

Anyone keeping track of the numbers here?

Post edited by PJNB on
  • jeffbrjeffbr Posts: 7,177

Washington, Oregon and California announce Western States Pact

While that orange fool loses his shit at his daily briefing today, the West Coast has formed a pact and will be working in coordination in determining when it is in OUR interest to relax things. Trump is irrelevant. Our governors are not interested in his ramblings, and will be using science and experts in making determinations about how we proceed. We are done with Trump. Fuck Trump.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
    jeffbr said:

Washington, Oregon and California announce Western States Pact

While that orange fool loses his shit at his daily briefing today, the West Coast has formed a pact and will be working in coordination in determining when it is in OUR interest to relax things. Trump is irrelevant. Our governors are not interested in his ramblings, and will be using science and experts in making determinations about how we proceed. We are done with Trump. Fuck Trump.
    Nj just did the same thing with pa, Delaware, ny, Connecticut and rhode Island.  
    Finally some great news on my old neighbor!!

This discussion has been closed.