The coronavirus

Comments

• mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,253
    But anyone who is calling out Trump and anyone else as racist for calling it a Chinese virus I hope they’re treating CNN and Gayle King as racists too. But I’m not seeing that.
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    mace1229 said:
    But anyone who is calling out Trump and anyone else as racist for calling it a Chinese virus I hope they’re treating CNN and Gayle King as racists too. But I’m not seeing that.
    You are reaching.  Things change, it isn't a static situation...are you suggesting that now that we have firmly, widely established nomenclature based in international scientific consensus that persisting in calling it a Chinese virus isn't an intentionally provocative act?
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    mace1229 said:
    Is Gayle King still calling it The Chinese Virus in April?  If so, that sounds mildly racist/xenophobic.
    Also, you disparaged the Israeli/Jewish comparison earlier and I just wanted to point out that "Chinese" colloquially considered a race as much as a nationality.  Not saying that's factual, but to someone as dumb as Trump...
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    rgambs said:
    Don't be Todd Packer
    :lol:
  • Mike D88Mike D88 Posts: 723
    mace1229 said:
    Christ, admit you're a snowflake about Trump's fee fees and get a new hobby.
    i-Brzk3Rdjpg
    2008 Tampa - 2013 Buffalo - 2016 Tampa - 2016 Fenway II
    Audioslave 2005 MSG
  • CM189191CM189191 Posts: 6,927
    mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:
    Can we call it the Wet Market Virus? 
    I am sure someone will say “Wet Market” is racist .
    There are wet markets everywhere

Here's one in Washington DC:

• bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,945
    ^ They left pangolin and bat off the menu.  Strange. 
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Posts: 12,844
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    dignin said:
    mace1229 said:
    Mike D88 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:
    ^ I don’t see how naming a virus after the place it originated from is racist. I can’t find anything offensive with it. If it started in America, call it the American virus. 
    It's you versus the world community of scientists and the WHO.

Maybe let them decide.
    It doesn’t bother me at all if the world continues to call it Covid-19 as opposed to the Wuhan or Chinese Virus, but if that’s what it had been called, I see nothing offensive or racist about it. Political correctness has gone way too far. Everything is suddenly offensive. 
    yeah well, its also called SARS2
    The virus is SARS-CoV-2. In shorthand we can all call it "coronavirus" and there's no confusion. The resulting disease is called COVID-19. No other names have ever been supported by any scientific body.

The "geographic" and "it's not racist, really" naming is ex post facto politicization, and it's usually used to bait for factual corrections and then complain about political correctness.
    What’s the real bait is using that term for weeks or even months, then all of the sudden calling it racist like the media has done.
    Every media outlet called it the Wuhan or Chinese virus until about 3 or 4 weeks ago then suddenly decided it was racist to say that. That’s baiting.
    Whether that's true or not I've been calling it coronavirus since the start, go to the start of this thread to see that. All the sources I use have called it that.

So if I see it used in a racist context does that mean I'm baiting?
    If you’ve never called it the Chinese virus and you honestly see that as being racist, then no I wouldn’t say you’re baiting. I’d just disagree with you.
    But for those who did call the the Wuhan or Chinese virus for weeks and are now suddenly saying that’s racist, I would say they are baiting. Or trying to stir up some fake controversy. 

But that's not the correct name, so no, people objecting to someone calling it an incorrect name is not "trying to stir up controversy" - it's the person insisting on calling it an incorrect name despite the clear connotations that is stirring up controversy. 
    I agree. That’s why I said that applies for those who used the exact same name for months, then suddenly decide it’s racist. Dozens of journalists and anchors called it one name for weeks, then suddenly decide its racist and act like a gotcha moment calling the president and others out for using the exact same name. It’s ridiculous.  That’s what I was referring to.
    Nope, that’s not what you’re referring to. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,424
    mace1229 said:
    Is she using it to rile up a xenophobic fan base?
  • what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    edited April 2020
    CM189191 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:

The Wharf in DC is a fish market. I guess it's wet?? 
    I'd call this comment a fail at cultural relativism.
    Edit: And by the way, it's currently closed for business
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,055
    FRANKFURT (Reuters) - German Foreign Minister Heiko Maas has criticised the United States’ handling of the coronavirus outbreak as too slow, the latest sign of tensions between the two allies as they respond to the crisis.

China took “very authoritarian measures, while in the U.S., the virus was played down for a long time,” Maas said in an interview with Der Spiegel magazine in a preview sent to the media on Friday.

“These are two extremes, neither of which can be a model for Europe,” he said.

Germany was among countries that last week accused the United States of “Wild West” tactics in outbidding or blocking shipments to buyers who had already signed deals for vital medical supplies. [nL8N2BR5O2]

Maas told Der Spiegel that he hoped the United States would rethink its international relationships in light of the coronavirus crisis.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-germany-usa/german-minister-criticises-u-s-coronavirus-response-as-too-slow-spiegel-idUSKCN21S157?utm_source=reddit.com&utm_source=reddit.com
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,314
    edited April 2020
    bbiggs said:
    ^ I don’t see how naming a virus after the place it originated from is racist. I can’t find anything offensive with it. If it started in America, call it the American virus. 

Maybe let them decide.
    When did this switch happen? MERS wasn’t that long ago.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,314
    FRANKFURT (Reuters) - German Foreign Minister Heiko Maas has criticised the United States’ handling of the coronavirus outbreak as too slow, the latest sign of tensions between the two allies as they respond to the crisis.

China took “very authoritarian measures, while in the U.S., the virus was played down for a long time,” Maas said in an interview with Der Spiegel magazine in a preview sent to the media on Friday.

“These are two extremes, neither of which can be a model for Europe,” he said.

Germany was among countries that last week accused the United States of “Wild West” tactics in outbidding or blocking shipments to buyers who had already signed deals for vital medical supplies. [nL8N2BR5O2]

Maas told Der Spiegel that he hoped the United States would rethink its international relationships in light of the coronavirus crisis.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-germany-usa/german-minister-criticises-u-s-coronavirus-response-as-too-slow-spiegel-idUSKCN21S157?utm_source=reddit.com&utm_source=reddit.com
    It’s no doubt the fed/trump really fucked this up. The governors that realized that and weren’t the first to be hit (so not Washington, ny...) and did something seem to be having the best success. 

We will have some terrific data to use to hopefully develop an actual plan next time. Germany is certainly a decent place to check out the response.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,510
    PJNB said:

"That is a surprise": Doctors still waiting for feared surge of COVID-19 patients in Canadian ICUs

My province has 112 cases. No deaths. No strain on health care system. In fact it is probably in the best shape it has ever been in with all of the elective surgeries being postponed and other things cancelled or delayed. I have a couple of friends that work at our local hospital and they said they have never had it so easy during their shifts. Hopefully we are not waiting for it to hit and this is in fact as bad as it is going to get. I really feel for the cities/countries that have been hit hard from this. Hopefully worldwide we have hit the peak and are on the way down. 

Thankfully you guys dodged a bullet. As long as international travel is down, I would think NB comes out ok.

In NY I feel like speedy mccreedy... it’s terrifying here. We have large immigrant communities from around the world and if our govt doesn’t revamp how they handle international arrivals, this will not end for us. I’m not looking forward to have medical tests often, but it seems we need to test anyone coming into the NY region to move forward, given to how much international travel arrives here and how densely populated it is.

BTW enjoying Republic of Doyle on Amazon, St Johns is such a cool town. I know it’s quite a distance from NB, but as close as almost anywhere else is to there.
  • FiveBelowFiveBelow Posts: 1,268
    CM189191 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:

I would highly suggest anyone who thinks this is the same type of market that caused CoVid-19 to watch the video below. If you don’t have 27 minutes to spare just watch from 12:50 to 20:50.

• pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,112
    DewieCox said:
    mace1229 said:
    Is she using it to rile up a xenophobic fan base?

This right here is the pisser of the whole thing. If it were just about anyone else, I'd be happy that they were digging in against the Chinese government. But you know that this is exactly what Trump's doing.

On the other hand, China was actively trying to spread propaganda that it originated here or Italy. So I don't want to discourage people from pushing back, even if you have some doing it for the wrong reasons. You really get painted into a corner when everywhere you turn it's assholes in charge.
  • jerparker20jerparker20 Posts: 2,460
    CM189191 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:

I’ve been there didn’t get the’Rona, but did get some bad service and greasy fried fish and clams.
  • CM189191CM189191 Posts: 6,927
    CM189191 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:

A wet market is a marketplace selling fresh meat, fish, produce, and other perishable goods as distinguished from "dry markets" that sell durable goods such as fabric and electronics. The term wet market is often used to signify a live animal market in which vendors slaughter animals upon customer purchase. 

There's one here in St Paul.  You can pick out your goat chicken or pig.  They will kill and butcher it for you there at the market.

http://www.citypages.com/restaurants/reviews/long-cheng-livestock-market-slays-your-meal-in-front-of-you-6725387

Guys, stop.
    You're going to get the vegan going again.
    :rofl:
    edited April 2020
    bbiggs said:

Maybe let them decide.
    When did this switch happen? MERS wasn’t that long ago.
    Don't know when MERS was,... but I if remember correctly the decisions happened in like 2014-2015. But seen with the naming of Ebolavirus etc, it had been in the minds of scientists before to not stigmatize/hurt places by the naming.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • jerparker20jerparker20 Posts: 2,460
    edited April 2020
    CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:

A wet market is a marketplace selling fresh meat, fish, produce, and other perishable goods as distinguished from "dry markets" that sell durable goods such as fabric and electronics. The term wet market is often used to signify a live animal market in which vendors slaughter animals upon customer purchase. 

There's one here in St Paul.  You can pick out your goat chicken or pig.  They will kill and butcher it for you there at the market.

http://www.citypages.com/restaurants/reviews/long-cheng-livestock-market-slays-your-meal-in-front-of-you-6725387

I’ve been there. Got a pig there once for a school pig roast. It’s a butcher shop.  No different from one in any small town in MN, except you can watch the animal get slaughtered if you’d like. Its not some back alley stall. They also get inspected.

Gigantic difference between a place like Long Cheng and the “wet markets” found throughout Southeast Asia and China. You won’t find live raccoons, rats, cats, and other animals in stacked cages so they can shit and piss on each other. Also there are no health inspectors coming through these places.

Post edited by jerparker20 on
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,945
    ^ Bingo. Apples and oranges. 
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,572
    bbiggs said:
    ^ They left pangolin and bat off the menu.  Strange. 

:lol:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,572
    I think making plans for how to stick this out for the long haul might be well worth considering.  For us, it will very likely mean living a simpler life with far fewer frills, working later into life (eventually) than I might have planned, and keeping my head on straight, but that beats the alternative.  Here's why I think it will be a long haul before this thing is done:

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• PapPap Posts: 28,733
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024
    brianlux said:
    I think making plans for how to stick this out for the long haul might be well worth considering.  

So,noooow suddenly you come creeping over to team Sweeeeeeden.
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,728
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • PapPap Posts: 28,733
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,406
    mace1229 said:
    A commons theme I have seen here and elsewhere. Trump supporters seem to be much more concerned with him being labeled a racist than they do with his overwhelmingly shitty response to this pandemic which has resulted in tens of thousands of American deaths.

www.myspace.com
This discussion has been closed.