The coronavirus

Comments

• pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,112
    bbiggs said:
    I’m curious what others here are doing when going into a store (grocery, hardware, etc.) or to pick up food for takeout.  Are you wearing a mask?  If so, a cloth or surgical mask? 

Every task has become such a process.  We’re trying to limit unnecessary store runs, but at the same time, it’s Easter weekend and we’d like to go get ingredients to make a nice meal tomorrow. We’re thinking about getting takeout tonight to support a local restaurant, but we have to go inside to pick it up.  So, both options become a big task with potential risk now.  It’s really getting exhausting. 
    I bought a bunch of bandanas a couple weeks ago and we've been wearing those whenever we go out. Not to walk the dog or walk around the neighborhood, though.
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,945
    pjl44 said:
    bbiggs said:
    I’m curious what others here are doing when going into a store (grocery, hardware, etc.) or to pick up food for takeout.  Are you wearing a mask?  If so, a cloth or surgical mask? 

Every task has become such a process.  We’re trying to limit unnecessary store runs, but at the same time, it’s Easter weekend and we’d like to go get ingredients to make a nice meal tomorrow. We’re thinking about getting takeout tonight to support a local restaurant, but we have to go inside to pick it up.  So, both options become a big task with potential risk now.  It’s really getting exhausting. 
    I bought a bunch of bandanas a couple weeks ago and we've been wearing those whenever we go out. Not to walk the dog or walk around the neighborhood, though.
    Good idea.  I’ll look for some in bulk on Amazon, but any good suggestions, or did you purchase from the store?  I ask because there are a lot of shady products being sold right now to take advantage of the situation. Just want to make sure I get decent quality. 
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,314
    bbiggs said:

My family are wearing masks at grocery store (and limiting trips) and when picking up food. 

hippiemom = goodness
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 8,282
    bbiggs said:

My family are wearing masks at grocery store (and limiting trips) and when picking up food. 

Wiping down the cart with a Lysol wipe and most definitely wearing a mask at the store. 
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,314
    bbiggs said:
    pjl44 said:
    bbiggs said:

Good idea.  I’ll look for some in bulk on Amazon, but any good suggestions, or did you purchase from the store?  I ask because there are a lot of shady products being sold right now to take advantage of the situation. Just want to make sure I get decent quality. 
    Here’s the reality. Unless you are buying an actual respirator, which aren’t available anymore, most of the other barrier masks are providing the same level of protection and it’s not a lot. Look up cdc standard for what material to use. Lots of tshirt places now selling masks made of their shirts online. And really the mask protect people FROM you better than you from them. But it helps some. If everyone was wearing we’d all be protecting each other. Good luck, don’t stress out, so your best, wash your hands, enjoy what we still have left in our lives for now. Stay safe :)
    hippiemom = goodness
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,623
    bbiggs said:

had a box of "procedure masks , nonsterile" already. Had gotten sick pretty good awhile back and didnt want to share within the house.  loops around the ear.

I will wear them while walking to and from the store and of course while inside. Reason being, I come in proximity to drivers from several midwestern states while at work, I dont want to run the risk of spreading it unwittingly. And this was only after we were informed a city driver at another terminal tested positive.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 6,386
    edited April 2020
    Mr. SC, I'm doing pretty much the same as Bri for Easter. We used an air brush and an egg spinner with felts. I made an Easter dinner yesterday, which was basically making a stuffing that the kid likes that I hide protein in. I didn't get a plastic wrapped basket this year as that would have required going into a market. I prefer to have the food brought to my trunk. I wipe it when I get home before it comes in the house, removing cardboard and washing fresh, porous produce. I headed all of the Europe/US warnings of shortages and did get an expensive large amount of dishwasher pacs a month back. I also found on the Canadian .gov site that Fantastik is a sterilizer as there is no Chlorox/Lysol. I scored bigtime and know how the OP felt when they found some lysol!

Anyhow, I got my child an Easter present: new markers and a colouring book. The Easter bunny is bringing a crap load that should last months. I get so happy that my child made it to grade 3 and still believes!

We grow apples, grapes, peaches, cherries, plums here. There are many farms around for eggs and garden produce. Today, a winery was giving away 4L of hand sanitizer at a drive through on their orchard, as many vineyards have converted their alcohol to make this product. There were hundreds of cars lined up for miles. 
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 Posts: 10,739
    Amen. Maher ranting about how the virus is China’s fault and it’s not racist to call them out on it. 
    It should be called the China virus ... and I’m fine with that.   Fuck China
    Give Peas A Chance…
    bbiggs said:
    pjl44 said:
    bbiggs said:

I ordered some from Target and some from Amazon. Amazon ones came a little quicker, but they both beat the estimated delivery date.

Like Cincy said, it's not as good as a mask but the science shows it's better than nothing. Especially if someone has it and is asymptomatic. You're doing everyone else a solid.
  • FiveBelowFiveBelow Posts: 1,268
    bbiggs said:

My company is considered essential so I have picked up takeout more than I’d like recently, but have a very sanitizing approach about it. Hand over cash, sanitizer. Receive change, sanitizer. Receive bag, sanitizer. Take contents out of bag, sanitizer. Open contents, sanitizer. Place food on clean plate, wash hands and eat. I had to make a grocery run to Costco and wore a N95 mask and kept a small bottle of sanitizer in my pocket which I used any time I had to open a freezer door and after I checked out. Loaded up the car, sanitizer. It seems crazy but I have a pregnant wife and young son so I take going out of the house very seriously. Luckily it seemed like the majority of people I have encountered while out have also been taking it seriously. We are up to 13 deaths and a few hundred confirmed cases, unfortunately the majority of those are from nursing homes. There is also a large student population living here and they are the last people I trust. Yesterday I heard 5 nursing facilities were infected so our mortality numbers are likely to be much higher than the national average.
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,129
    Ventured into stop&shop this morning was stunned at how many people are not wearing no mask no scarf no bandana! Unreal people are really dense ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    brianlux said:
    Here's an interesting article that proposes that putting money into widespread testing would do more to slow the spread of the virus AND help the economy much more than doling out the $1200 which only help people get by for maybe a week or so:

I was just having this exact thought while driving to my weekly store run and listening to NPR story on the checks coming out.

I had another mini-meltdown while out and still not able to find dishwasher powder. Did people eat on paper plates before this pandemic? How can we, a month out, still not have dishwasher powder in the cleaning aisles? I'm going to be forced to buy the $75 case of it on Amazon. My mom says "WE can wash the dishes by hand." I'm like, "Mom, there is no WE when it comes to housework around here." I know I'm supposed to be grateful that my biggest problem is no Cascade. I'm really just over all of it. The Cascade is emblematic of my virus fatigue. 
    Baking soda and dish soap works well!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    tbergs said:
    I apparently live in the twilight zone, otherwise known as rural America. Right now our neighbors are having a family gathering for Easter. Grandparents, kids and siblings with grandkids just hanging out and enjoying the nice day, just like any other time. Same with our other neighbor who is continually entertaining people who stop over and hang out in the garage at night. Meanwhile, we can no longer use our reusable bags at the grocery stores and are required to have a mask on when we go in, which is in addition to the plexiglass barriers they've built around the cashiers and 6 foot distancing stickers on the floors. If only this virus were more deadly people might take it more seriously, but you know #freedom :murica:
    My 80+ year old neighbors have had a constant stream of visitors.  Dipshits.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    The SEIU managed to find this generous soul who only required a 43% markup on 6 million pieces being provided to Kaiser in the midst of a pandemic.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,383
    @Spiritual_Chaos  my six year old was pumped

I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,945
    Thanks for the responses above everyone. I totally understand the limitations of cloth masks, but I intend on wearing one when at a store because it’s better than nothing (have one N95 but can’t re-use it forever), and if I was unknowingly sick I’m protecting others. If everyone did this, we’d all be in good shape, but that won’t happen. Anyway, I found a local clothing manufacturer making them for $6 a piece and for each one purchased they donate one to healthcare workers, so I bought 5. Figured it’s a good cause and they seem to be high quality. Win-win. 
  • dudemandudeman Posts: 3,044
    edited April 2020
    Been wearing a homemade mask on the rare occasion that I have to venture out. We had a bunch of surgical masks at the clinic but donated them to the human hospital when shit started going south.

We are not doing surgeries other than emergencies so the couple we have on hand should be fine. 

All of our employees have homebrew masks too. We rotate them through the autoclave so as to not take any chances and we always have sterile ones ready to go. 
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    edited April 2020
    pjl44 said:
    bbiggs said:

I'm not wearing a mask. I have a 10 count box of basic dust masks leftover from a long ago project, and I'm saving them for the day I know for sure it's full-on contagion in my neck of the woods. Most people in the store today had on masks or bandanas or whatever they could make up. I just close my mouth and hold my breath when I walk past people in the aisle. 

Edit:  If I'm unknowingly sick the only way I'm going to infect someone else is if I sneeze or cough or breathe on them. Or put my hand in my nose or mouth for some strange reason and then touch everything in the store. That's just not something I do. I understand everyone wanting to do their utmost to protect themselves or others. I'm just making sure I'm practicing basic hygiene and limiting my store trips to once a week and hoping for the best. I'm not promoting irresponsibility because I have an 80 year old living in my house and am well aware of what can happen to her if I bring something home. I'm just not listening to panic-driven media stories about wiping down every fricking Amazon box and canned goods and my keys and you name what else. It's not only getting exhausting; it's getting ridiculous. At some point, you just gotta roll the dice. 
    Post edited by what dreams on
    pjl44 said:
    bbiggs said:

I'm not wearing a mask. I have a 10 count box of basic dust masks leftover from a long ago project, and I'm saving them for the day I know for sure it's full-on contagion in my neck of the woods. Most people in the store today had on masks or bandanas or whatever they could make up. I just close my mouth and hold my breath when I walk past people in the aisle. 

Edit:  If I'm unknowingly sick the only way I'm going to infect someone else is if I sneeze or cough or breathe on them. Or put my hand in my nose or mouth for some strange reason and then touch everything in the store. That's just not something I do. I understand everyone wanting to do their utmost to protect themselves or others. I'm just making sure I'm practicing basic hygiene and limiting my store trips to once a week and hoping for the best. I'm not promoting irresponsibility because I have an 80 year old living in my house and am well aware of what can happen to her if I bring something home. I'm just not listening to panic-driven media stories about wiping down every fricking Amazon box and canned goods and my keys and you name what else. It's not only getting exhausting; it's getting ridiculous. At some point, you just gotta roll the dice. 
    Yeah, I don't judge. Every time I've been out, it seems easy enough to keep some distance. Stores are doing a good job keeping capacity manageable.

It is wild how in 3 weeks we've gone from "masks won't help" to states recommending everyone wear one when they go out. Much less seeing a dude dragged off a bus. If you want a small taste of why we don't trust our institutions nowadays, there you have it.
  • what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    tbergs said:
    I apparently live in the twilight zone, otherwise known as rural America. Right now our neighbors are having a family gathering for Easter. Grandparents, kids and siblings with grandkids just hanging out and enjoying the nice day, just like any other time. Same with our other neighbor who is continually entertaining people who stop over and hang out in the garage at night. Meanwhile, we can no longer use our reusable bags at the grocery stores and are required to have a mask on when we go in, which is in addition to the plexiglass barriers they've built around the cashiers and 6 foot distancing stickers on the floors. If only this virus were more deadly people might take it more seriously, but you know #freedom :murica:
    Viruses Don't Kill People. People Kill People.
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 38,194
    This guy might kill people too.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMkyDS5ULts
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,623
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,572
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    Here's an interesting article that proposes that putting money into widespread testing would do more to slow the spread of the virus AND help the economy much more than doling out the $1200 which only help people get by for maybe a week or so:

I was just having this exact thought while driving to my weekly store run and listening to NPR story on the checks coming out.

I had another mini-meltdown while out and still not able to find dishwasher powder. Did people eat on paper plates before this pandemic? How can we, a month out, still not have dishwasher powder in the cleaning aisles? I'm going to be forced to buy the $75 case of it on Amazon. My mom says "WE can wash the dishes by hand." I'm like, "Mom, there is no WE when it comes to housework around here." I know I'm supposed to be grateful that my biggest problem is no Cascade. I'm really just over all of it. The Cascade is emblematic of my virus fatigue. 

I know this may sound lame, but maybe try to take a different mental approach to hand washing dishes.  I used to hate it when my mom made me wash the dishes (by hand, we had no dishwasher) but I learned to enjoy the process.  The warm water feels good on the hands, specially in cooler weather. Put on some calming music, feel the warm water on your hands.  Enjoy the  purposeful process.  The other thing you might consider is to do them after each meal which is what I do when my wife is gone.  By myself, it's just a few dishes and a little soap on a sponges, a quick wash and rinse in hot water and they're done!  Then you can go back to doing something else.

I can only find the cascade pacs, not powder. We use pacs and usually works, but that could be based on our fairly new dishwasher.

It seems odd to me that dishwasher soaps are hard to find.  Of all things!  I honestly don't know how much we have (she uses the machine, I hand wash) but if we run out, I'll just keep washing them by hand.  I have a huge bottle of regular dish washing liquid soap (I like buying the XL size because it's more economical and uses less packaging in the long run).
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,680
    edited April 2020
    Picked up the Nintendo Switch game my kid has been wanting.   I will make sure this little boy has an awesome Easter Sunday!
  • SmellymanSmellyman Posts: 4,524
    So how is everyone celebrating Easter this special year?

walking dead marathon
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,405
    Ugh.......
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com

"That is a surprise": Doctors still waiting for feared surge of COVID-19 patients in Canadian ICUs

Give Peas A Chance…

Give Peas A Chance…
This discussion has been closed.