The coronavirus

Comments

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,055
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,383
    edited April 2020
    Amen. Maher ranting about how the virus is China’s fault and it’s not racist to call them out on it. 
    I agree with this 100%.  Thanks for sharing.
    (he forgot to mention lyme disease named after the town of lyme in connecticut. )
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,834
    mcgruff10 said:
    Amen. Maher ranting about how the virus is China’s fault and it’s not racist to call them out on it. 
    (he forgot to mention lyme disease)
    He mentioned it at the 1:08 mark of the video. I never even knew Lyme was a town in Connecticut or where that name of that disease came from until watching this. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    nicknyr15 said:
    Awesome. Thanks for posting. 
    I rarely ever agree what Bill Maher has to say, but boy he nails in that segment.  Thanks 4 posting it....

Ofc you think so
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    edited April 2020
    mcgruff10 said:
    He mentioned it at the 1:08 mark of the video. I never even knew Lyme was a town in Connecticut or where that name of that disease came from until watching this. 
    Yeah my bad on that.   I had lyme's disease two years ago and it sucked ass.
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,834
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Yeah my bad on that.   I had lyme's disease two years ago and it sucked ass.
    I have a friend that’s been suffering from it for years. An awful disease to have. Well I guess any disease is awful to have. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,314
    nicknyr15 said:
    Awesome. Thanks for posting. 
    I rarely ever agree what Bill Maher has to say, but boy he nails in that segment.  Thanks 4 posting it....

Ofc you think so
    You don't?  Always thought it was a really stupid criticism of trump and others.  Kinda showing that he does get unfair stupid treatment from time to time from these new outlets.  I wish they wouldn't do that and provide that evidence cause it gives the idiots that support trump the little ammo they need to convince themselves of some huge conspiracy against Trump.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,623
    pjl44 said:
    mickeyrat said:
     Where Thousands of Masks a Day Are Decontaminated to Battle the Virus https://nyti.ms/2RwmIl3

Pretty cool. We have one of those in Boston, too.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/04/09/nation/testing-has-begun-mask-decontamination-system-somerville/
    yes. it came from Battelle. some of the first units went to the hotter spots
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    edited April 2020
    So how is everyone celebrating Easter this special year?
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    20 out of 90 restaurants in Stockholm are of risking of closing because of not following the crowd/Social distancing rules.
  • FiveBelowFiveBelow Posts: 1,268
    CM189191 said:
    https://twitter.com/projectlincoln/status/1248367637631053828?s=21
    Biden should just start to get down&dirty against the idiot!
    https://youtu.be/UHjJydZO99A

video for those twitter haters
    Comparing a pandemic to a terrorist attack? Seems like an attempt to exploit emotion since the two events have no connection whatsoever. Praising Italy and the world for shutting down and quarantining? Yeah, only after they had been highly infected while the US had seemingly yet to be. Selective presentation of facts, yet another propaganda tactic. The video would have been much better served were it actually comparing the handling of this crisis to other countries when they were at the same threat level as us,  but we know that wasn’t really the reason it was made. Were mistakes made? Of course, but the same can be said for any crises. Just look at every other country dealing with this that the video seems to think did such a great job. Social media is our equivalent of a wet market. You’ve been infected now stop infecting other people because you believe everything you see and read.
    Dying Easter eggs tonight.  Easter baskets tomorrow.  Then dinner with my wife and four kids (minus my son who has been at my ex’s)
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,331
    JW269453 said:
    CM189191 said:

Comparing a pandemic to a terrorist attack? Seems like an attempt to exploit emotion since the two events have no connection whatsoever. Praising Italy and the world for shutting down and quarantining? Yeah, only after they had been highly infected while the US had seemingly yet to be. Selective presentation of facts, yet another propaganda tactic. The video would have been much better served were it actually comparing the handling of this crisis to other countries when they were at the same threat level as us,  but we know that wasn’t really the reason it was made. Were mistakes made? Of course, but the same can be said for any crises. Just look at every other country dealing with this that the video seems to think did such a great job. Social media is our equivalent of a wet market. You’ve been infected now stop infecting other people because you believe everything you see and read.
    I think most countries have done a better job than the US.

The only reason things aren't much worse there is because most governors showed true leadership. If it was left up to just Trump and his admin I fear things would be much much worse.

• pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,112
    dignin said:
    JW269453 said:
    CM189191 said:

The only reason things aren't much worse there is because most governors showed true leadership. If it was left up to just Trump and his admin I fear things would be much much worse.

Due to our size, population, and regional variance of the spread, there's no scenario where states/Governors weren't going to have to take on much of the work. It's how we're set up. For his part, Trump and his administration have done and continue to do a poor job with preparedness, response, and planning but it's apples and oranges to compare the US to most European countries. 
    mcgruff10 said:
    Dying Easter eggs tonight.  Easter baskets tomorrow.  Then dinner with my wife and four kids (minus my son who has been at my ex’s)
    Dying eggs, does that mean painting them or tiedying them like Kurt screams about in that Nirvana live album?

In eastern europe I think they boil them with onion skins, which is quite nice looking

edited April 2020
    Dying them with different colors.  No onion skins but that does look sweet.  
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,572
    Here's an interesting article that proposes that putting money into widespread testing would do more to slow the spread of the virus AND help the economy much more than doling out the $1200 which only help people get by for maybe a week or so:

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    brianlux said:
    Here's an interesting article that proposes that putting money into widespread testing would do more to slow the spread of the virus AND help the economy much more than doling out the $1200 which only help people get by for maybe a week or so:

I was just having this exact thought while driving to my weekly store run and listening to NPR story on the checks coming out.

I had another mini-meltdown while out and still not able to find dishwasher powder. Did people eat on paper plates before this pandemic? How can we, a month out, still not have dishwasher powder in the cleaning aisles? I'm going to be forced to buy the $75 case of it on Amazon. My mom says "WE can wash the dishes by hand." I'm like, "Mom, there is no WE when it comes to housework around here." I know I'm supposed to be grateful that my biggest problem is no Cascade. I'm really just over all of it. The Cascade is emblematic of my virus fatigue. 
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,129
    Damn the death toll numbers are staggering..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,129
    https://www.motherjones.com/coronavirus-updates/2020/04/trump-coronavirus-response-new-york-times/
    How much can this nation tolerate from this administration specially the head of it, it’s like knowing there’s a tsunami coming and never warn anyone!
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    brianlux said:

When Justin Amash was speaking out against the CARES Act, this was one of his two pillars of a cleaner, more efficient bill. Basically:

- Allocate funding to rapidly increase testing and tracing programs.
    - Cut a monthly check of $2-3k to every American for 3 months to start. Evaluate for an extension after 3 months.

No unrelated funding, no convoluted programs. Just put cash in people's pockets and fund what will actually help us get our arms around the problem.
    brianlux said:

I was just having this exact thought while driving to my weekly store run and listening to NPR story on the checks coming out.

I had another mini-meltdown while out and still not able to find dishwasher powder. Did people eat on paper plates before this pandemic? How can we, a month out, still not have dishwasher powder in the cleaning aisles? I'm going to be forced to buy the $75 case of it on Amazon. My mom says "WE can wash the dishes by hand." I'm like, "Mom, there is no WE when it comes to housework around here." I know I'm supposed to be grateful that my biggest problem is no Cascade. I'm really just over all of it. The Cascade is emblematic of my virus fatigue. 

I know this may sound lame, but maybe try to take a different mental approach to hand washing dishes.  I used to hate it when my mom made me wash the dishes (by hand, we had no dishwasher) but I learned to enjoy the process.  The warm water feels good on the hands, specially in cooler weather. Put on some calming music, feel the warm water on your hands.  Enjoy the  purposeful process.  The other thing you might consider is to do them after each meal which is what I do when my wife is gone.  By myself, it's just a few dishes and a little soap on a sponges, a quick wash and rinse in hot water and they're done!  Then you can go back to doing something else.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

pjl44 said:
    brianlux said:

When Justin Amash was speaking out against the CARES Act, this was one of his two pillars of a cleaner, more efficient bill. Basically:

- Cut a monthly check of $2-3k to every American for 3 months to start. Evaluate for an extension after 3 months.

No unrelated funding, no convoluted programs. Just put cash in people's pockets and fund what will actually help us get our arms around the problem.

Even at the lower 2K per month that comes out close to $420 billion per month. Where is that money going to come from?  The only way I can see that they'd be able to give every American $2-$3k every month would be by printing funny money or getting billionaires and corporations to cough up the bucks.  I just don't see it happening.   I think the money needs to go into widespread testing then isolating all positive cases and letting those tested negative to go back to work.

• what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    Another thing that struck me while out driving -- people wearing masks while they are outside taking a walk, by themselves, on a path/sidewalk with no other or very small numbers of pedestrians or bikers. I know this was part of a discussion earlier, about how safe or selfish it is to walk or exercise.
    My thought was -- what a complete waste of a mask. Here we are with a supposed shortage of masks for people who critically need them, and I'm passing people outside in a suburban neighborhood on a tree lined path with nobody else within dozens of yards of them wearing a mask. Is there virus lingering on that red bud tree branch oozing down from the pollen into your nose? 
    I feel like the "abundance of caution" has become absurd in some cases. People are losing their common sense. (assuming they had it before a month ago)
  • FiveBelowFiveBelow Posts: 1,268
    dignin said:
    JW269453 said:
    CM189191 said:

Once this is past us and the final numbers can be assessed only then will be able to make more accurate comparisons. I am in no way saying we handled this the best we could have, but I am also someone who thinks it is ridiculous that in this day and age we didn’t already have a mandatory course of action set in stone long ago. Hopefully everyone learns this time because nobody seems to be focused on the careless actions that created this whole mess in the first place. It’s just a matter of time before it happens again.
    brianlux said:
    pjl44 said:
    brianlux said:

Even at the lower 2K per month that comes out close to $420 billion per month. Where is that money going to come from?  The only way I can see that they'd be able to give every American $2-$3k every month would be by printing funny money or getting billionaires and corporations to cough up the bucks.  I just don't see it happening.   I think the money needs to go into widespread testing then isolating all positive cases and letting those tested negative to go back to work.
    I'm being out-libertarianed in this thread left and right. This is new territory!

I think the idea is to make budget cuts and address the deficit once you're on the other end of this crisis. The funny money isn't really an issue if you have a plan to gradually remove it later. If you want to argue that we never do that, well you're certainly preaching to the choir. But if there is a time to run a deficit and get financial relief directly to the people, this is it.

I think the public would flip their wigs if the economic aspect wasn't addressed at all. No direct payments, no enhancement to unemployment benefits, no small business loans. I'm not saying I agree with all of that or how it was deployed, but we've had 16 million people file for unemployment in 3 weeks. And that doesn't even factor in companies forcing wage reductions. It's a bloodbath right now. 
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,945
    I’m curious what others here are doing when going into a store (grocery, hardware, etc.) or to pick up food for takeout.  Are you wearing a mask?  If so, a cloth or surgical mask? 

Every task has become such a process.  We’re trying to limit unnecessary store runs, but at the same time, it’s Easter weekend and we’d like to go get ingredients to make a nice meal tomorrow. We’re thinking about getting takeout tonight to support a local restaurant, but we have to go inside to pick it up.  So, both options become a big task with potential risk now.  It’s really getting exhausting. 
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,510
    Another thing that struck me while out driving -- people wearing masks while they are outside taking a walk, by themselves, on a path/sidewalk with no other or very small numbers of pedestrians or bikers. I know this was part of a discussion earlier, about how safe or selfish it is to walk or exercise.
    My thought was -- what a complete waste of a mask. Here we are with a supposed shortage of masks for people who critically need them, and I'm passing people outside in a suburban neighborhood on a tree lined path with nobody else within dozens of yards of them wearing a mask. Is there virus lingering on that red bud tree branch oozing down from the pollen into your nose? 
    I feel like the "abundance of caution" has become absurd in some cases. People are losing their common sense. (assuming they had it before a month ago)

When I go for a walk thru. Y suburban neighborhood, I don’t wear a mask as I’ve easily been able to keep ten feet from anyone else on the streets. If I were to wear a mask, I have a few left over from last month when we were in the ICU with my daughter. 

When I get the nerve to go to the state park beach I’ll probably bring a mask along in cast the park rangers demand one. I plan on cutting out a few from ole t shirts as the cdc recommends when I need more.
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,543
    edited April 2020
    I apparently live in the twilight zone, otherwise known as rural America. Right now our neighbors are having a family gathering for Easter. Grandparents, kids and siblings with grandkids just hanging out and enjoying the nice day, just like any other time. Same with our other neighbor who is continually entertaining people who stop over and hang out in the garage at night. Meanwhile, we can no longer use our reusable bags at the grocery stores and are required to have a mask on when we go in, which is in addition to the plexiglass barriers they've built around the cashiers and 6 foot distancing stickers on the floors. If only this virus were more deadly people might take it more seriously, but you know #freedom :murica:
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,510
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

I know this may sound lame, but maybe try to take a different mental approach to hand washing dishes.  I used to hate it when my mom made me wash the dishes (by hand, we had no dishwasher) but I learned to enjoy the process.  The warm water feels good on the hands, specially in cooler weather. Put on some calming music, feel the warm water on your hands.  Enjoy the  purposeful process.  The other thing you might consider is to do them after each meal which is what I do when my wife is gone.  By myself, it's just a few dishes and a little soap on a sponges, a quick wash and rinse in hot water and they're done!  Then you can go back to doing something else.

I can only find the cascade pacs, not powder. We use pacs and usually works, but that could be based on our fairly new dishwasher.
This discussion has been closed.