The coronavirus

Comments

• CM189191CM189191 Posts: 6,927
    CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:
    Can we call it the Wet Market Virus? 
    I am sure someone will say “Wet Market” is racist .
    There are wet markets everywhere

Here's one in Washington DC:

The Wharf in DC is a fish market. I guess it's wet?? 
    I'd call this comment a fail at cultural relativism.
    Edit: And by the way, it's currently closed for business
    A wet market is a marketplace selling fresh meat, fish, produce, and other perishable goods as distinguished from "dry markets" that sell durable goods such as fabric and electronics. The term wet market is often used to signify a live animal market in which vendors slaughter animals upon customer purchase. 

There's one here in St Paul.  You can pick out your goat chicken or pig.  They will kill and butcher it for you there at the market.

http://www.citypages.com/restaurants/reviews/long-cheng-livestock-market-slays-your-meal-in-front-of-you-6725387

I’ve been there. Got a pig there once for a school pig roast. It’s a butcher shop.  No different from one in any small town in MN, except you can watch the animal get slaughtered if you’d like. Its not some back alley stall. They also get inspected.

Gigantic difference between a place like Long Cheng and the “wet markets” found throughout Southeast Asia and China. You won’t find live raccoons, rats, cats, and other animals in stacked cages so they can shit and piss on each other. Also there are no health inspectors coming through these places.

So a wet market is basically a butcher shop then?
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Posts: 10,659
    mace1229 said:
    But anyone who is calling out Trump and anyone else as racist for calling it a Chinese virus I hope they’re treating CNN and Gayle King as racists too. But I’m not seeing that.
    A commons theme I have seen here and elsewhere. Trump supporters seem to be much more concerned with him being labeled a racist than they do with his overwhelmingly shitty response to this pandemic which has resulted in tens of thousands of American deaths.

That's because when you support a racist in any way shape or form that makes you a racist as well. 
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,834
    mace1229 said:
    But anyone who is calling out Trump and anyone else as racist for calling it a Chinese virus I hope they’re treating CNN and Gayle King as racists too. But I’m not seeing that.
    A commons theme I have seen here and elsewhere. Trump supporters seem to be much more concerned with him being labeled a racist than they do with his overwhelmingly shitty response to this pandemic which has resulted in tens of thousands of American deaths.
    Well if people would stop harping on the fact that Trump calls it the Chinese Virus, his supporters wouldn't have to be concerned with him being labeled a racist (I think they're used to that anyway), and might have to face the reality of how poor his response to the pandemic has been. 

This has been a problem with people that oppose Trump from the beginning. It's almost like a cop framing an already guilty man....you give them a way out that they don't deserve (see: Simpson, OJ). Pretend for a second that you're a Trump-fan. What would your rather argue about with a Trump-hater; his actual handling of the pandemic, or whether calling it the Chinese virus is racist? Obviously the latter. Trump, like his fans, love that liberals are upset about his words, because it distracts from his actions (or inaction).
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,331
    mace1229 said:
    Well if people would stop harping on the fact that Trump calls it the Chinese Virus, his supporters wouldn't have to be concerned with him being labeled a racist (I think they're used to that anyway), and might have to face the reality of how poor his response to the pandemic has been. 

This has been a problem with people that oppose Trump from the beginning. It's almost like a cop framing an already guilty man....you give them a way out that they don't deserve (see: Simpson, OJ). Pretend for a second that you're a Trump-fan. What would your rather argue about with a Trump-hater; his actual handling of the pandemic, or whether calling it the Chinese virus is racist? Obviously the latter. Trump, like his fans, love that liberals are upset about his words, because it distracts from his actions (or inaction).
    But Trump is a racist and doing a criminally negligent job of handling this crisis. He can be both things. So I'm not really getting your point.
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,055
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    dignin said:
    mace1229 said:

But Trump is a racist and doing a criminally negligent job of handling this crisis. He can be both things. So I'm not really getting your point.
    He and his supporters don't care if he's called racist.

He and his supporters do care when it's suggested he has botched the handling of the pandemic. 

So they're happy to have the "Chinese Virus" debate, because it distracts from the much bigger problem, which is the handling of the pandemic. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 11,012
    mace1229 said:

I understand your point, but if Trump’s supporters haven’t yet faced the reality of the man being a racist, what makes you think they would accept the reality of how poorly he’s handled the pandemic? 
    mace1229 said:

I understand your point, but if Trump’s supporters haven’t yet faced the reality of the man being a racist, what makes you think they would accept the reality of how poorly he’s handled the pandemic? 

Because it affects them, which racism (that they to a large extent share) does not?

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    mace1229 said:

Because it affects them, which racism (that they to a large extent share) does not?
    Yeah exactly. As for the racism, I don't know if a "large extent" of his supporters share racist views. I bet many do, but there's also probably many that see his racism but don't care because it doesn't effect them, and there are probably others that simply believe he's not racist. I think the largest group is the second group (seeing the racism, but dismissing it because it doesn't effect them). 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,510
    How can we trust the test results reported?

A state we should trust, WA, has not had a single result released in 4 days and has not had a negative test result in a WEEK. Yet the Seattle mayor was on CNN yesterday touting what an excellent job the city has done.

And the local media hasn't posted an article about this in 4 days, and that article was referring to the earlier days of this crisis

https://covidtracking.com/data/state/washington
  • https://nypost.com/2020/04/12/anthony-causis-kindness-talent-touched-everyone-in-ny-sports/

Some of the most iconic New York sports photos were taken by this guy. Can't say I knew him well but he was always nice to me and anyone else
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • jerparker20jerparker20 Posts: 2,460
    CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:

A wet market is a marketplace selling fresh meat, fish, produce, and other perishable goods as distinguished from "dry markets" that sell durable goods such as fabric and electronics. The term wet market is often used to signify a live animal market in which vendors slaughter animals upon customer purchase. 

There's one here in St Paul.  You can pick out your goat chicken or pig.  They will kill and butcher it for you there at the market.

http://www.citypages.com/restaurants/reviews/long-cheng-livestock-market-slays-your-meal-in-front-of-you-6725387

I’ve been there. Got a pig there once for a school pig roast. It’s a butcher shop.  No different from one in any small town in MN, except you can watch the animal get slaughtered if you’d like. Its not some back alley stall. They also get inspected.

Gigantic difference between a place like Long Cheng and the “wet markets” found throughout Southeast Asia and China. You won’t find live raccoons, rats, cats, and other animals in stacked cages so they can shit and piss on each other. Also there are no health inspectors coming through these places.

I think you missed the point... unless the point is a matter of semantics that both places butcher live animals onsite. 

If your local butcher shop sells a variety of non-domesticated animals such as bats, pangolins, bear cubs and rats that are not subject to USDA/FDA/local health safety and sanitation laws/OSHA regulations that are caught in the wild, caged and sold in an unregulated manner, then I guess they would be the same. 
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 8,282
    CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:

I think you missed the point... unless the point is a matter of semantics that both places butcher live animals onsite. 

If your local butcher shop sells a variety of non-domesticated animals such as bats, pangolins, bear cubs and rats that are not subject to USDA/FDA/local health safety and sanitation laws/OSHA regulations that are caught in the wild, caged and sold in an unregulated manner, then I guess they would be the same. 
    You’re being trolled by one of the best on here. Don’t waste your time. 
    edited April 2020

*** THE MAN OF THE HOUR JOHAN GIESECKE ***

Question: Trump might not support WHO anymore - what is your thought on that?
    Giesecke: This is not the first time the americans has done this. They push WHO a lot to the direction they want it to be headed. They pay a lot to the WHO but it's with strings attached - meaning they always want the organization to be run the way that servers their interests.

Question: The situation Norway versus Sweden, looking so differently when it comes to the amount of dead. How is this explained?
    Giesecke: There is actually an explanation, that I happen to believe is correct. We were unlucky in Sweden with the virus getting in to our retirement homes very quickly. And in Norway this has started much later. Come back to me in a few weeks, and I don't think the differences will be as big anymore. 

Kerstin asks if suffering from pollen allergy will make the corona infection worse?
    Giesecke: No.

Roland asks if the virus has changed/mutaded so that is its now affecting the young much more. That's what happened with "the asian" (the virus pandemic in 1957) he remembers. 
    Giesecke: That is true, but there are no signs that this is happening to this current virus.

Someone asks about a "walking buddy" she/he has that says he can not be a bearer of the virus, because he feels completely healthy. And is taking no strides to follow restrictions. Should I avoid taking walks with him? We are both above 70.
    Giesecke: You should talk reason with him. But you can keep take walks. It is a very good activity. 

Robin asks, if so many are without symptoms, won't we see a big peak when we open up society again?
    Giesecke: There is something to what he says. And I can talk for hours about opening up society, but will spare you that. But it won't be easy. You have to lift restrictions one at a time. Test one at a time. 

Harriet asks, if the virus when reaching the lungs turn into pneumonia - then why not treat it with antibiotics?
    Giesecke: This is what happened to a large extent with The Spanish Flu ("Kansas Flu" on this board?) a 100 years ago. People often died in pneumonia that came after the virus. But not here. People dying in Corona (not using "the chinese virus") they die of the virus itself in their lungs.

Mia askas, she got confirmed that she had Corona yesterday. Now will her husband infect his colleagues and others? He doesn't have any symptoms.
    Giesecke: He should keep working. He doesn't infect his colleagues. If he doesn't feel sick - he should work. But the slightest sympton, stay home.

Göran asks if we are sure that all the Corona viruses are coming from China? Have viruses been born at other places?
    Giesecke: Most from southeast asia. Because of people living very close, and living very close to animals. That can be spoken of at leangth. But the swineflu that came around a few years ago, that actually started in Mexico and southern california (He doesn't call it "california flu", but maybe people on this board and Bill Maher does?). So it's not always China.

Sia, asks if those who has taken a flu shot could be better shielded from the virus?

Göran asks, there is talk about herd immunity. So, we need 6 million people having the virus? With my limited math-skills we are way off on hitting those numbers.
    Giesecke: First, many has had this virus without noticing. Then, how many we need for her immunity - yes, about 5-6 million people and that we won't reach this first wave. The risk is we will have a pretty big wave come this fall.

Helena asks, she starts every day with checking her fever, taking deep breaths and than a 2 kilometer walk. Then, she can't have the virus?
    Giesecke: You can have it without symptoms. But it sounds like a great way to start the day.

We get a lot of questions coming in about face masks - do they work or not?
    Giesecke: Good facemasks work in the healthcare environment. Walking around outside all day with a facemask, and especially the white ones with rubberbands around the ears are rather pointless.

Someone asks if double coffee-filters could help
    Giesecke: *laughs* It's not worse than the ones with rubber bands around the ears at least.

Someone asks, us people with eyeglasses - shouldn't we be better protected.
    Giesecke: *laughs* Yeah, there can be something to that. But there are no studies of it, that I can tell you. But the idea is interesting. 

Jörgen asks, what do you want to tell the people crowding on the cities outdoor seating areas at restaurants?
    Giesecke: It looks like restrictions will be a lot stricter on this going forward. All restaurants to not take their responsibility. 

Hans asks, my father in-law has been let out of the hospital. When can we meet him again?
    Giesecke: 7 days after first symptom, and 2 days after last symptom.

Someone asks - how long does the virus live on different surfaces. 
    Giesecke: There are different information coming about that - from minutes to a day. A day I do not believe. But for a while it will live.

Kristina asks if different blood groups are better or worse in getting the virus
    Giesecke: There are studies about just this. But don't remember of the top of my head, what blood group.

Someone asks, can it transfer from visiting the restroom.

Finally, Desiree asks - how long will all of this take?
    The worst is over in a few weeks. But untill it is completely gone, months.

Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    Hey my mask has rubber bands around the ears! Dude’s hatin’.

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • OnWis97OnWis97 Posts: 4,970
    I just saw on Twitter that former Vikings (my team) / NFL QB Tavaras Jackson was killed in a car crash.  An astonishing number of comments took the following tone "I suppose this will be recorded as a COVID19 death to inflate the numbers."

What is this about?  Are these just Trumpsters always thinking about all the conspiracies that are being used against the Great One?  Are they just people that want to leave their homes and want this pandemic to go away?
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,383
    Can you buy this at your local
    butcher shop or wet market in the us?

I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    edited April 2020
    mcgruff10 said:

Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,406
    OnWis97 said:
    I just saw on Twitter that former Vikings (my team) / NFL QB Tavaras Jackson was killed in a car crash.  An astonishing number of comments took the following tone "I suppose this will be recorded as a COVID19 death to inflate the numbers."

What is this about?  Are these just Trumpsters always thinking about all the conspiracies that are being used against the Great One?  Are they just people that want to leave their homes and want this pandemic to go away?
    I read an article about how that’s the new Trump conspiracy. They’ve morphed from thinking it was a hoax, to that it’s just the flu, to now they are overinflating the numbers to make Trump look bad. These people are wacko. 

Sorry to hear about Tavaris. I have not seen that yet
    www.myspace.com
    mcgruff10 said:

I've posted this video a few times but it's a good look at how these Chinese wet markets operate, and how they're not comparable at all to the DC fish market that Clip-Clop posted a picture of....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPpoJGYlW54

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 Posts: 10,739

Give Peas A Chance…
  • CM189191CM189191 Posts: 6,927
    CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:

I think that is the point.  People calling for a ban on wet markets altogether.  So would that shut down your local butcher shop or the wharf in DC also?

The term wet market is being used to imply unregulated or unsanitary conditions.  That's simply not true.  There are wet markets all over the world that are well-regulated and sanitary. 

The issue isn't with wet markets.  It's with the lack of regulation and enforcement.  
    Agnes Wold says that everyone can make mistakes in certain contexts, but she is behind Anders Tegnell and the Public Health Authority.

She does not buy the criticism that Sweden should do like other countries and close their schools.

- Few countries have not closed their schools. But Sweden is doing the right thing I believe that most infection control authorities around the world are in agreement. It is politicians who make these decisions. It is men who want control, she says and continues:

- I have seen television pictures from poor countries in the world where men walk around and spray some stuff on the streets. It doesn't help. Absolutely not. But many authoritarian leaders have this thing about wanting to be like the military, they want to block off, they want to close borders, they want control, they want to tuck in women and children somewhere. It is patriarchal infection policy. Thankfully, Sweden has a Public Health Authority that understands this.
    Worth a watch. Haha.

https://youtu.be/nSx704KK_Ik
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,331
    dignin said:
    mace1229 said:

He and his supporters do care when it's suggested he has botched the handling of the pandemic. 

That's the way it should be but I'm not convinced his supporters really care. As long as they can stick to the libs. I'm really starting to believe that.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,383
    mcgruff10 said:

I've posted this video a few times but it's a good look at how these Chinese wet markets operate, and how they're not comparable at all to the DC fish market that Clip-Clop posted a picture of....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPpoJGYlW54
    Yeah I have seen this video, a wet market definitely isn't the same everywhere.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,623
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,129
    Here is another Baffoon administration individual being totally clueless on past administrations plans for these events! https://twitter.com/thedailyedge/status/1249715836601991168?s=21

jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,406
    edited April 2020
    mace1229 said:

I see it differently. Rational people have stopped harping on that since Trump stopped calling it that weeks ago. At this point it's, primarily, Trump supporters who bring the subject up because, as you said they would prefer to talk about that bullshit as opposed to their dear leader's failed response which has lead to countless more deaths on his watch. 

Whenever I talk/argue with someone about this horrible effort from the Trump admin, the Trump supporter ALWAYS brings up the China travel ban (even though hundreds of thousands of people traveled to and from there since) and they then always bring up the fact that Trump was called racist for doing so just like he was called racist for referring to it as the Chinese Virus. Every. Single. Time.---it is a Trump supporter who brings this up. 

That's why I felt the Billy Maher thing was odd timing. 

Incidentally---Trump has said and done racially sensitive things for over 4 decades now, so questioning his motive for referring to it as the Chinese Virus while the rest of the world referred to it as something else is totally valid. To me, the bigger issue was him just providing yet another unnecessary distraction during a time when one was totally not needed. It's not his fucking job to name viruses.
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    www.myspace.com
    edited April 2020
    mace1229 said:

I see it differently. Rational people have stopped harping on that since Trump stopped calling it that weeks ago. At this point it's, primarily, Trump supporters who bring the subject up because, as you said they would prefer to talk about that bullshit as opposed to their dear leader's failed response which has lead to countless more deaths on his watch. 

Whenever I talk/argue with someone about this horrible effort from the Trump admin, the Trump supporter ALWAYS brings up the China travel ban (even though hundreds of thousands of people traveled to and from there since) and they then always bring up the fact that Trump was called racist for doing so just like he was called racist for referring to it as the Chinese Virus. Every. Single. Time.---it is a Trump supporter who brings this up. 

That's why I felt the Billy Maher thing was odd timing. 

Incidentally---Trump has said and done racially sensitive things for over 4 decades now, so questioning his motive for referring to it as the Chinese Virus while the rest of the world referred to it as something else is totally valid. To me, the bigger issue was him doing that was just causing yet another unnecessary distraction during a time when we needed total focus.
    Yeah I don't disagree with this. He's totally using it as a distraction technique. But I think it's working to a degree. Even reporters in his press conferences bring it up. I bet when they do, he thinks, "Oh thank god" and goes into this routine. It's easier for him to say "fake news blah blah blah" than it is to defend his response to the pandemic, his travel-band notwithstanding because that actually was a good idea. But that was his ONLY good idea and that was two months ago. 

As for Maher, if it's all about politics (he's on one-side, Trump's on the other), then yes, odd timing. But, if it's something he believes in, he should talk about it. I was in 100% agreement with him. That doesn't mean I like Trump, or that I think he SHOULD be calling it the Chinese Virus, but he is and it's another in a long line of distraction techniques...and I guess it's working because we're talking about it. 

Some people feel like you have to be on one side or the other of EVERYTHING. Trump's being mean to China. So who's side are you on? Trump or China? Fuck that, I side with neither. The possibility of xenophobia against Chinese Americans due to Trump's rhetoric is concerning to me. But people waking up and realizing how evil and awful the Chinese government is? I'm all for that. Unfortunately, I don't think Trump's rhetoric will lead to that...but it will be a nice silver-lining if it did. 
    Post edited by Ledbetterman10 on

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
This discussion has been closed.