The coronavirus

Comments

• SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 6,386
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,129
    https://www.businessinsider.com/kushner-made-last-minute-changes-trump-error-riddled-coronavirus-speech-2020-3
    Why oh why do evil people like these two get to do so much damage and no one calls them out for it..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,751
    bbiggs said:
    cutz said:
    static111 said:
    Closing parks is dumb.  That’s basically saying that the only people allowed to get outside and have fresh air are those that are fortunate enough to have a house with a yard or a vacation home somewhere. Sorry apartment dwellers, you can walk down the sidewalk though. 
    I've seen lots of people walking in my neighborhood walking in packs. I would then see other packs would walk up to the other pack of people to BS.  I saw a guy on TV point out that was the reason why he was going to a Local park so he was away from most people.  He said he felt safer then in his neighborhood going for a walk. 
    I see this too. I still walk and run in my neighborhood but as the weather warms there are way too many people out. Might need to find a more remote area to go to. 
    Finding a remote area is what I'm thinking about too. I'm pretty sure I'll be able to find such a place near where I live. 
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,572
    https://www.businessinsider.com/kushner-made-last-minute-changes-trump-error-riddled-coronavirus-speech-2020-3
    Why oh why do evil people like these two get to do so much damage and no one calls them out for it..

I don't listen to these fools any more.  They have nothing worth hearing. 

We watch California's Governor Gavin Newsom's noontime COVID update everyday and it is highly informative, and Newsom is honest, informed and he admits when he doesn't have an answer and has health professionals on hand to help with giving pertinent information.  What a shame we don't have a president with the kind of smart, caring, and energetic leadership of people like Newsom and New York's Governor Cuomo. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

CM189191 said:

How sad.  Rembrandt was buried in a potter's field.  It is so sad to know that these people died mostly alone and unknown, yet who knows what great talent and marvelous deeds go unrecognized in their passing.  Very sad and tragic.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• jeffbrjeffbr Posts: 7,177
    brianlux said:

We watch California's Governor Gavin Newsom's noontime COVID update everyday and it is highly informative, and Newsom is honest, informed and he admits when he doesn't have an answer and has health professionals on hand to help with giving pertinent information.  What a shame we don't have a president with the kind of smart, caring, and energetic leadership of people like Newsom and New York's Governor Cuomo. 
    I'm with you, Brian. My wife and I have stopped listening to Trump's updates, and only watch our governor's updates. Jay Inslee has also been a foe of Trump's, and Washington state is doing as much as we can without worrying about the Feds anymore. We still need stuff, but our early response to the initial outbreak here has shown that we did flatten the curve and our measures are working. We've released ventilators and field hospitals back to the feds for use elsewhere. We're not out of the woods, but the curve looks manageable for our hospitals. I can't imagine living in a Trump state or a state that believes and respects what that clown says. I've also listened to a few of Newsom's updates, and like his leadership on this. My dad lives in CA, luckily isolated up in Yucca Valley, and I'm glad to know that he's in a state that has taken this seriously. 
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
    jeffbr said:
    brianlux said:

I'm with you, Brian. My wife and I have stopped listening to Trump's updates, and only watch our governor's updates. Jay Inslee has also been a foe of Trump's, and Washington state is doing as much as we can without worrying about the Feds anymore. We still need stuff, but our early response to the initial outbreak here has shown that we did flatten the curve and our measures are working. We've released ventilators and field hospitals back to the feds for use elsewhere. We're not out of the woods, but the curve looks manageable for our hospitals. I can't imagine living in a Trump state or a state that believes and respects what that clown says. I've also listened to a few of Newsom's updates, and like his leadership on this. My dad lives in CA, luckily isolated up in Yucca Valley, and I'm glad to know that he's in a state that has taken this seriously. 
    Your Governor Inslee and Washington in general have done a great job!  My brother and 4 of my nephews and their families live in Washington, so I'm very glad to know you all have good leadership and things are going relatively well there after a rough period of time.  Stay safe and be well, Jeff!

• cutzcutz Posts: 11,751

Some doctors moving away from ventilators for virus patients

https://apnews.com/8ccd325c2be9bf454c2128dcb7bd616d
  • brianlux said:
    CM189191 said:

How sad.  Rembrandt was buried in a potter's field.  It is so sad to know that these people died mostly alone and unknown, yet who knows what great talent and marvelous deeds go unrecognized in their passing.  Very sad and tragic.
    This is in the Northeast Bronx near City Island and a short drive over the Throgs Neck Bridge without traffic to my area of Queens.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
    brianlux said:
    CM189191 said:

This is in the Northeast Bronx near City Island and a short drive over the Throgs Neck Bridge without traffic to my area of Queens.

Oh man.  Stay safe, Xavier.  I hope the situation improves soon out your way.  Good to hear that Gov. Cuomo was quoted as being guardedly optimistic. 

• brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    CM189191 said:

Oh man.  Stay safe, Xavier.  I hope the situation improves soon out your way.  Good to hear that Gov. Cuomo was quoted as being guardedly optimistic. 
    Thanks. I'm fortunate that I live in a fairly low-density area of Queens as opposed to more closely populated areas where I can take social distancing walks. Today wasn't so bad, only heard four sirens so far, the other day I heard 13.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 Posts: 10,739

Give Peas A Chance…
  • 23scidoo23scidoo Posts: 19,067
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
    Earlier today someone asked me this:

"Curious,  do you really think there is any chance we'd still be in"isolation" in two months?  Even one month from today?"

My reply:

Excellent question, V.  I think it depends a lot on where one lives.  I would venture to guess that here in California, we will be in isolation for at least another month.  The peak of our curve isn't expected to be reached until late May- at least a month from now, possibly 6 to 8 weeks off yet.  After that, the crystal ball grows quite foggy.  I would say that for anyone willing or able to stick it out, at least another two months of sheltering would be a good idea. 

My definition of "done" is the point at which the virus dies off- basically for good- by either  by way of the "herd immunity" scenario which would leave in its path huge numbers of dead, or the long extended version leading to a vaccine.  If the first scenario plays out, I'll continue to isolate and hope it doesn't last more than 6 or 8 months.  If the second scenario plays out- a longer time period- then even at the risk of eating up most or all of my savings, I'll shelter and wait for the vaccine.  I've been poor- even semi homeless for a few years- before.  My experience is that it beats the alternative- which is  not living.  Either way, I'm seeing my own future as very probably having less savings, and probably living very simply and continuing to work as long as I am physically able.  I can deal with that too.

But what concerns me more is, how willing and/or able are other people going to be in dealing with possible semi-poverty, or at least being willing to give up the extravagances of late 20th century/ early 21st century living.  And who knows- maybe the luxurious days will come back for a time.  I think many will struggle greatly with the possibility of being somewhat or much poorer.  If all that happens, I hope most people will learn to live more simply and be thankful to be alive rather than having died of the coronovirus.

• stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,365
    brianlux said:
    Earlier today someone asked me this:

"Curious,  do you really think there is any chance we'd still be in"isolation" in two months?  Even one month from today?"

My reply:

Excellent question, V.  I think it depends a lot on where one lives.  I would venture to guess that here in California, we will be in isolation for at least another month.  The peak of our curve isn't expected to be reached until late May- at least a month from now, possibly 6 to 8 weeks off yet.  After that, the crystal ball grows quite foggy.  I would say that for anyone willing or able to stick it out, at least another two months of sheltering would be a good idea. 

My definition of "done" is the point at which the virus dies off- basically for good- by either  by way of the "herd immunity" scenario which would leave in its path huge numbers of dead, or the long extended version leading to a vaccine.  If the first scenario plays out, I'll continue to isolate and hope it doesn't last more than 6 or 8 months.  If the second scenario plays out- a longer time period- then even at the risk of eating up most or all of my savings, I'll shelter and wait for the vaccine.  I've been poor- even semi homeless for a few years- before.  My experience is that it beats the alternative- which is  not living.  Either way, I'm seeing my own future as very probably having less savings, and probably living very simply and continuing to work as long as I am physically able.  I can deal with that too.

But what concerns me more is, how willing and/or able are other people going to be in dealing with possible semi-poverty, or at least being willing to give up the extravagances of late 20th century/ early 21st century living.  And who knows- maybe the luxurious days will come back for a time.  I think many will struggle greatly with the possibility of being somewhat or much poorer.  If all that happens, I hope most people will learn to live more simply and be thankful to be alive rather than having died of the coronovirus.

The bolded part is my hope as well. People are staying home with their loved ones, cooking their own meals, and enjoying a simpler slowed down life style.
    I've also made a concentrated effort not to waste anything!
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,129
    Yesterday I learned that some one I worked with had passed from the virus and another coworker had lost her mother , these are the 1st two people I know personally that have been affected..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,543
    23scidoo said:
    Not quite...

The Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (SEPTA) confirmed to BuzzFeed News that a man was removed from one of their buses. A spokesperson said the reasons why the man was removed are still under investigation.

In a statement, a Philadelphia Police Department spokesperson said that their presence was requested by a SEPTA bus driver around 8:25 a.m. in the Center City neighborhood.

"A SEPTA bus driver requested that a passenger leave the bus several times, and the passenger repeatedly refused," the spokesperson said. "PPD Officers arrived, and after being made aware of the driver’s request, also ordered the male to leave the bus several times. The male refused, at which point he was physically removed by the officers."

The spokesperson added that the man, whom they did not identify, was neither arrested nor cited for the incident.

It's a hopeless situation...
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,623
     Where Thousands of Masks a Day Are Decontaminated to Battle the Virus https://nyti.ms/2RwmIl3

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,112
    mickeyrat said:
     Where Thousands of Masks a Day Are Decontaminated to Battle the Virus https://nyti.ms/2RwmIl3

Pretty cool. We have one of those in Boston, too.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/04/09/nation/testing-has-begun-mask-decontamination-system-somerville/
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,834
    Amen. Maher ranting about how the virus is China’s fault and it’s not racist to call them out on it. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 8,282
    Amen. Maher ranting about how the virus is China’s fault and it’s not racist to call them out on it. 
    Awesome. Thanks for posting. 
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,055
    What has become the name of the virus the world over: CORONA or COVID-19

Some politicians (in the US) and Fox News goes against it and chooses to call it: "Wuhan virus/Chinese virus"

Bill Maher: "This isn't about willifying a country. This is about facts"

Yeah right, you tool.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,112
    Yeah, when you get outside of finger-waggers on social media there's solid bipartisan consensus on this issue.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/04/08/coronavirus-crisis-is-turning-americans-both-parties-against-china/

• 23scidoo23scidoo Posts: 19,067
    tbergs said:
    23scidoo said:
    Not quite...

The Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (SEPTA) confirmed to BuzzFeed News that a man was removed from one of their buses. A spokesperson said the reasons why the man was removed are still under investigation.

In a statement, a Philadelphia Police Department spokesperson said that their presence was requested by a SEPTA bus driver around 8:25 a.m. in the Center City neighborhood.

"A SEPTA bus driver requested that a passenger leave the bus several times, and the passenger repeatedly refused," the spokesperson said. "PPD Officers arrived, and after being made aware of the driver’s request, also ordered the male to leave the bus several times. The male refused, at which point he was physically removed by the officers."

The spokesperson added that the man, whom they did not identify, was neither arrested nor cited for the incident.

Yes but why all this??
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,834
    edited April 2020
    What has become the name of the virus the world over: CORONA or COVID-19

Some politicians (in the US) and Fox News goes against it and chooses to call it: "Wuhan virus/Chinese virus"

Bill Maher: "This isn't about willifying a country. This is about facts"

Yeah right, you tool.
    I think the fact that he’s talking about is the virus is China’s fault. I don’t think it needs to be called the Wuhan or Chinese virus. But the world shouldn’t just standby while China reopens their disgusting, inhumane wet markets that cause this sort of thing. Yes, some dumb racists out there might become xenophobic toward Chinese Americans, but those same dumb racists are going to be xenophobic anyway. China’s government shouldn’t be let off the hook because of that, or because of the finger-wagging that pjl44 made reference to, and that you’re partaking in right now. 
    Post edited by Ledbetterman10 on
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • nicknyr15 said:
    Awesome. Thanks for posting. 
    I rarely ever agree what Bill Maher has to say, but boy he nails in that segment.  Thanks 4 posting it....

• bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,945
    Just watched this. It was excellent. Couldn’t agree more with Maher and it’s appalling to see these wet markets back up and running. I wonder what kind of animal the next virus China unlocks is going to come from. 
  • OnWis97OnWis97 Posts: 4,970
    A couple of interesting perspectives on the opportunity this gives us and the stake government and big business will have to make us feel normal. 

1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
This discussion has been closed.