The coronavirus

Comments

• OnWis97OnWis97 Posts: 4,970
    Here at hospital working I’m not going to jinx it or click my heals but it does seem like things are slowing down a bit! They have a couple of different sounds for alarms, one is they play Here comes the sun Beatles over the intercom it means some one was taken off ventilator and is recovering, the other is a bell but a soft bell sound almost like a chime is to announce someone being discharged from hospital and the codes have slowed down I’ve only heard one today..

My apologies if this is common knowledge and I've missed it, but where are you?
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,129
    bbiggs said:
    Here at hospital working I’m not going to jinx it or click my heals but it does seem like things are slowing down a bit! They have a couple of different sounds for alarms, one is they play Here comes the sun Beatles over the intercom it means some one was taken off ventilator and is recovering, the other is a bell but a soft bell sound almost like a chime is to announce someone being discharged from hospital and the codes have slowed down I’ve only heard one today..
    This is an awesome post. Love hearing that kind of stuff. Keep safe! 
    Yeah bro it’s a good way to let employees know the good news not just the codes I was hearing last two weeks , thanks and you do the same ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 6,386
    Thank you for sharing how you celebrate victories with music! 
  • dudemandudeman Posts: 3,044
    Stay at Home Order extended to the end of April in Michigan. 
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,424
    Trumpers leaning hard on the memo about Covid on death certificates. Too many words make understand hard.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,383
    All state and county parks closed in NJ.  ugh
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,945
    A good friend of mine works at a local hospital and is in charge of sourcing the personal protective gear for the front line doctors and nurses.  He said he's having a very hard time getting isolation gowns and they're coming up with plans on how to treat patients without them as a backup.  Crazy stuff. 
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,834
    mcgruff10 said:
    Just starting now? I’m in PA and ours have been closed for a while now. Figured NJ’s would’ve been closed sooner considering the virus numbers there. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    mcgruff10 said:
    Just starting now? I’m in PA and ours have been closed for a while now. Figured NJ’s would’ve been closed sooner considering the virus numbers there. 
    Started yesterday.   Our town just closed all city parks too.  
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,253
    mcgruff10 said:
    Kind of surprised they weren’t closed already.
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    Closing parks is dumb.  That’s basically saying that the only people allowed to get outside and have fresh air are those that are fortunate enough to have a house with a yard or a vacation home somewhere. Sorry apartment dwellers, you can walk down the sidewalk though. 
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
    static111 said:
    Closing parks is dumb.  That’s basically saying that the only people allowed to get outside and have fresh air are those that are fortunate enough to have a house with a yard or a vacation home somewhere. Sorry apartment dwellers, you can walk down the sidewalk though. 
    I understand your points, but people tend to congregate at parks.  That is the issue.  The states are taking away any opportunity for people to congregate.  Also, people going on walks with kids that decide to stop at the park would have a very hard time keeping kids away from one another.  The whole situation sucks, but this is necessary if we're going to continue taking social distancing measures.

• brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,572
    static111 said:

It does seem dumb but the way I see it, what is more stupid is the fact that when parks were open, people were not physical distancing the way they should.  I'm not happy that the state parks here in California had to close but I'm more unhappy that so many people made bad, stupid choices that led to those closures.  From my perspective, it's those idiots who blew it for the rest of us.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,623
    isnt that always the way though? its the few that fuck it up for the rest of us?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    All city parks have been closed here for a week in Denver.
    Jesus, what a bunch of dumbasses. Notice no Tucker Carlson in the video though. Despite his faults, he's the only Fox News host to take the virus seriously from the beginning. Yeah, he calls it the Chinese Virus. And no, he doesn't directly criticize Trump by name. Rather, he uses code words to criticize Trump by substituting his name with "the federal government" or "our elected leaders." But he's been talking about the virus as a serious threat since January. I hope his other viewers took note, rather than allow themselves to be brainwashed by Hannity. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAh4uS4f78o
    It’s okay because at the end he says he’s always taken in seriously.
    Hannitty is one of the least watchable people.
    mickeyrat said:
    isnt that always the way though? its the few that fuck it up for the rest of us?

Sad but true.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

mickeyrat said:
    100%
  • what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    This interview with an epidemiologist from Johns Hopkins popped up in my weekly JSTOR email. It gave me some sense of relief about transmission of the disease on surfaces, a reminder that the vast majority of the spread of this disease will come from sneezes and coughs and lack of hand-washing. 
    https://daily.jstor.org/jennifer-nuzzo-were-definitely-not-overreacting-to-covid-19/?utm_term=Jennifer%20Nuzzo%3A%20%2526ldquo%3BWe%27re%20Definitely%20Not%20Overreacting%2526rdquo%3B%20to%20COVID-19&utm_campaign=jstordaily_04092020&utm_content=email&utm_source=Act-On+Software&utm_medium=email
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,751
    static111 said:
    I've seen lots of people walking in my neighborhood walking in packs. I would then see other packs would walk up to the other pack of people to BS.  I saw a guy on TV point out that was the reason why he was going to a Local park so he was away from most people.  He said he felt safer then in his neighborhood going for a walk. 
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,751

cutz said:

LOL, about sums it up!

I don't even bother wasting my time listening to him anymore.  My wife sometimes listens because she wants to know what he's up to but for me, he has nothing to say worth listening to. 

• mace1229 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    I just ran at one. And don’t see any news on this. 
    cutz said:
    static111 said:
    I've seen lots of people walking in my neighborhood walking in packs. I would then see other packs would walk up to the other pack of people to BS.  I saw a guy on TV point out that was the reason why he was going to a Local park so he was away from most people.  He said he felt safer then in his neighborhood going for a walk. 
    I see this too. I still walk and run in my neighborhood but as the weather warms there are way too many people out. Might need to find a more remote area to go to. 
  • I live in Queens but about 10 miles east of the epicenter. this article is devastatingly heartbreaking:  https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/09/nyregion/coronavirus-queens-corona-jackson-heights-elmhurst.html
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
    mace1229 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    I just ran at one. And don’t see any news on this. 
    Well, bike/running paths and open fields stay open. My understanding was all playgrounds and stuff like that has been roped off and closed. Heard they were staring to fill in skate parks with mulch the other day too to prevent people from using them.
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 Posts: 10,739

Give Peas A Chance…
  • RideRickRideRick Posts: 703
    pjl44 said:
    Swedish corona care has since day one suffered a great lack of protective equipment.
     At the end of March-April, the first aircraft loads of material from China began to land in Sweden.

But among the materials that have been flown in are products that do not measure up.

- It is pure counterfeiting and piracy sold to the regions right now. This is also why it is difficult to screen between all volunteers who want to help with equipment. We cannot separate the serious from those who want to make money, says a source in government Sweden who works with coordination in the corona crisis.
    How many countries is that now who have received defective masks and tests from China? 8 or 10?
    The Netherlands also received 600.000 masks but the did not pass the medical test.
    China reacts with them saying it was clear at shipping that is would not be used for medical people.
    On which the Dutch Goverment reacts "Bullshit"   (they sould have...)

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-52092395

https://news.cgtn.com/news/2020-04-02/China-says-masks-sold-to-Netherlands-are-for-non-medical-use-PmRr2OMEbm/index.html
    | Pinkpop 1992 *BEST EVER | Rotterdam 1993 | Amsterdam 1996 | Pinkpop 2000 | Arnhem 2006 | Nijmegen 2007 | Rotterdam 2009 | Nijmegen 2010 | Amsterdam I + II 2012 ** | Amsterdam Eddie Vedder Solo 2012 First European Concert *EPIC*| Amsterdam I + II 2014 | Amsterdam Eddie Vedder Solo 2016 night I  | Amsterdam I + II 2018 | Amsterdam I -> Canceled  +  II 2022 *EPIC
  • RideRickRideRick Posts: 703
    bbiggs said:
    cutz said:
    static111 said:
    I see this too. I still walk and run in my neighborhood but as the weather warms there are way too many people out. Might need to find a more remote area to go to. 
    You do know that if you run it is more likely you have a wider spread of the virus.
    So by running you are actually saying a big fuck you to all people who are staying inside to contain this virus because it is not likely to be under control for the coming weeks. 
    Don't run are cycle sportly wise, it has a bigger effect on spreading virus, maybe you are carrying it without knowing it. You can contaminate other people without knowing it.
    Only people who are tested are sure that they don't have the virus.
    | Pinkpop 1992 *BEST EVER | Rotterdam 1993 | Amsterdam 1996 | Pinkpop 2000 | Arnhem 2006 | Nijmegen 2007 | Rotterdam 2009 | Nijmegen 2010 | Amsterdam I + II 2012 ** | Amsterdam Eddie Vedder Solo 2012 First European Concert *EPIC*| Amsterdam I + II 2014 | Amsterdam Eddie Vedder Solo 2016 night I  | Amsterdam I + II 2018 | Amsterdam I -> Canceled  +  II 2022 *EPIC
    RideRick said:
    bbiggs said:
    cutz said:
    static111 said:
    You do know that if you run it is more likely you have a wider spread of the virus.
    So by running you are actually saying a big fuck you to all people who are staying inside to contain this virus because it is not likely to be under control for the coming weeks. 
    Don't run are cycle sportly wise, it has a bigger effect on spreading virus, maybe you are carrying it without knowing it. You can contaminate other people without knowing it.
    Only people who are tested are sure that they don't have the virus.

Whoa, Rick, back up there... You're assuming bbiggs a) hasn't been tested and b) is running close enough to others to give or receive the virus.  I didn't get that from what b said.  Even without being tested, I don't see that by walking running and cycling away from others is a problem.  If it is, I'd like some verifiable, sound information that shows that to be true.  My wife and I have found places to walk where we don't get closer than about 20 feet from any other walkers and most of the time much further than that.

Maybe don't make harsh accusations without getting more information first.  We'll all do better by being cool and helpful toward each other, not by being harsh and accusing.

This discussion has been closed.