The coronavirus

Comments

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 Posts: 10,739
  • SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 6,386
    ^ Better than the news! And now, back to project online school and bike along the lake.
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,572

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,055
    edited April 2020
    Swedish corona care has since day one suffered a great lack of protective equipment.
     At the end of March-April, the first aircraft loads of material from China began to land in Sweden.

But among the materials that have been flown in are products that do not measure up.

- It is pure counterfeiting and piracy sold to the regions right now. This is also why it is difficult to screen between all volunteers who want to help with equipment. We cannot separate the serious from those who want to make money, says a source in government Sweden who works with coordination in the corona crisis.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    Swedish corona care has since day one suffered a great lack of protective equipment.
     At the end of March-April, the first aircraft loads of material from China began to land in Sweden.

But among the materials that have been flown in are products that do not measure up.

- It is pure counterfeiting and piracy sold to the regions right now. This is also why it is difficult to screen between all volunteers who want to help with equipment. We cannot separate the serious from those who want to make money, says a source in government Sweden who works with coordination in the corona crisis.

It's also my understanding that by not encouraging physical distancing better, Sweden is also suffering a great lack of common sense. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

edited April 2020
    brianlux said:

It's also my understanding that by not encouraging physical distancing better, Sweden is also suffering a great lack of common sense. 
    I'm seeing more common sense being communicated at the Swedish daily national press briefings (without a politician in sight I might add - how about that), then from the show your President and his Pence-buddy are putting on every night.

Could things be done better? Yes.  Could they be in the US?. Yes. Is it wrong balancing all factors of public health when dealing with this? No.  Is Sweden stealing other companies supplies on the runway? No. Is it common sense to not do that? Yes.

Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    edited April 2020
    Sweden's foreign minister on CNN

https://youtu.be/2HEtjVq3xW0

Swedish experts and politicians focus on "WE ARE NOT HAVING A HERD IMMUNITY STRATEGY"

makes me think.... maybe they do?

Haha.
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 40,004
    Cant find one for Pearl Jam.  Hoping someone here can.

For those into the holy triumvirate 

Got ya back!
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,112

How many countries is that now who have received defective masks and tests from China? 8 or 10?
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,129
    Here at hospital working I’m not going to jinx it or click my heals but it does seem like things are slowing down a bit! They have a couple of different sounds for alarms, one is they play Here comes the sun Beatles over the intercom it means some one was taken off ventilator and is recovering, the other is a bell but a soft bell sound almost like a chime is to announce someone being discharged from hospital and the codes have slowed down I’ve only heard one today..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • FiveBelowFiveBelow Posts: 1,268
    Here at hospital working I’m not going to jinx it or click my heals but it does seem like things are slowing down a bit! They have a couple of different sounds for alarms, one is they play Here comes the sun Beatles over the intercom it means some one was taken off ventilator and is recovering, the other is a bell but a soft bell sound almost like a chime is to announce someone being discharged from hospital and the codes have slowed down I’ve only heard one today..
    Great news, nice to hear from someone on the front lines instead of the media. Stay safe!
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,112
    edited April 2020
    Man, that is good news. The numbers seem to be backing that up, too. I saw this earlier:

• mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,405
    Awesome news, man! Stay safe!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    The amount of dead in Italy raises again.
    brianlux said:

I'm seeing more common sense being communicated at the Swedish daily national press briefings (without a politician in sight I might add - how about that), then from the show your President and his Pence-buddy are putting on every night.

Could things be done better? Yes.  Could they be in the US?. Yes. Is it wrong balancing all factors of public health when dealing with this? No.  Is Sweden stealing other companies supplies on the runway? No. Is it common sense to not do that? Yes.

I must admit that my talking about what isn't working is not as useful as talking about what is working.    Maybe what we should do is look at who is doing things that are working.  California's governor Newsom is a great example of someone doing that right things.  He gives daily updates at 12 noon Pacific time that always include good information, useful ideas and words of encouragement.  Same thing with New York's governor Cuomo.  As Smellyman has pointed out, Taiwan is also doing it right.  If more states and countries had those kinds of leaders, this thing would not be as awful as it is.

edited April 2020
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

I must admit that my talking about what isn't working is not as useful as talking about what is working.    Maybe what we should do is look at who is doing things that are working.  California's governor Newsom is a great example of someone doing that right things.  He gives daily updates at 12 noon Pacific time that always include good information, useful ideas and words of encouragement.  Same thing with New York's governor Cuomo.  As Smellyman has pointed out, Taiwan is also doing it right.  If more states and countries had those kinds of leaders, this thing would not be as awful as it is.
    Taiwan controlled their citizens very much (monitoring them through their phones etc if I am remembering it correctly). Personal liberty and rights of a citizen might trump what they did and them "doing it right" is up for debate with those factors playing a part.

Welding the doors of citizens stops the spread too. Is it "right" to do it? 

Etc.

I understand one might feel different coming from country of "the patriot act" and such. But just saying it is not that cut and dry.

Sweden is balancing other factors concerning public health to this -- mass unemployment, a collapsing health care system etc etc etc. 

Sweden does not think isolating and forcing people works long term, and they have chosen a method they believe work long term from the get go and not just for a very limited amount of time.

Right or wrong - every one is working towards the same goal, to flatten the curve in the best way possible and get pass this pandemic. 
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Taiwan controlled their citizens very much (monitoring them through their phones etc if I am remembering it correctly). Personal liberty and rights of a citizen might trump what they did and them "doing it right" is up for debate with those factors playing a part.

Etc.

I understand one might feel different coming from country of "the patriot act" and such. But just saying it is not that cut and dry.

Sweden is balancing other factors concerning public health to this -- mass unemployment, a collapsing health care system etc etc etc. 

Sweden does not think isolating and forcing people works long term, and they have chosen a method they believe work long term from the get go and not just for a very limited amount of time.

Right or wrong - every one is working towards the same goal, to flatten the curve in the best way possible and get pass this pandemic. 

I don't come from the country of the patriot act.  I come from this country:

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,383
    I am not surprised:

Most New York Coronavirus Cases Came From Europe, Genomes Show

New research indicates that the coronavirus began to circulate in the New York area by mid-February, weeks before the first confirmed case, and that travelers brought in the virus mainly from Europe, not Asia.

“The majority is clearly European,” said Harm van Bakel, a geneticist at Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, who co-wrote a study awaiting peer review.

A separate team at NYU Grossman School of Medicine came to strikingly similar conclusions, despite studying a different group of cases. Both teams analyzed genomes from coronaviruses taken from New Yorkers starting in mid-March.

The research revealed a previously hidden spread of the virus that might have been detected if aggressive testing programs had been put in place.

On Jan. 31, President Donald Trump barred foreign nationals from entering the country if they had been in China during the prior two weeks.

It would not be until late February that Italy would begin locking down towns and cities, and March 11 when Trump said he would block travelers from most European countries. But New Yorkers had already been traveling home with the virus.

“People were just oblivious,” said Adriana Heguy, a member of the NYU team.

Heguy and van Bakel belong to an international guild of viral historians. They ferret out the history of outbreaks by poring over clues embedded in the genetic material of viruses taken from thousands of patients.

Viruses invade a cell and take over its molecular machinery, causing it to make new viruses.

The process is quick and sloppy. As a result, new viruses can gain a new mutation that wasn’t present in their ancestor. If a new virus manages to escape its host and infect other people, its descendants will inherit that mutation.

Tracking viral mutations demands sequencing all the genetic material in a virus — its genome. Once researchers have gathered the genomes from a number of virus samples, they can compare their mutations.

Sophisticated computer programs can then figure out how all of those mutations arose as viruses descended from a common ancestor. If they get enough data, they can make rough estimates about how long ago those ancestors lived. That’s because mutations arise at a roughly regular pace, like a molecular clock.

Maciej Boni of Penn State University and his colleagues recently used this method to see where the coronavirus, designated SARS-CoV-2, came from in the first place. While conspiracy theories might falsely claim the virus was concocted in a lab, the virus’s genome makes clear that it arose in bats.

There are many kinds of coronaviruses, which infect both humans and animals. Boni and his colleagues found that the genome of the new virus contains a number of mutations in common with strains of coronaviruses that infect bats.

The most closely related coronavirus is in a Chinese horseshoe bat, the researchers found. But the new virus has gained some unique mutations since splitting off from that bat virus decades ago.

I'll ride the wave where it takes me......

PARIS (Reuters) - Being overweight is a major risk for people infected with the new coronavirus and the United States is particularly vulnerable because of high obesity levels there, France’s chief epidemiologist said on Wednesday.

Professor Jean-François Delfraissy, who heads the scientific council that advises the government on the epidemic, said as many as 17 million of France’s 67 million citizens were seriously at risk from the coronavirus because of age, pre-existing illness or obesity.

This virus is terrible, it can hit young people, in particular obese young people. Those who are overweight really need to be careful,” Delfraissy told franceinfo radio.

“That is why we’re worried about our friends in America, where the problem of obesity is well known and where they will probably have the most problems because of obesity.”

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-france-confinement/obesity-is-major-covid-19-risk-factor-says-french-chief-epidemiologist-idUSKBN21Q0S7
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,751
    mfc2006 said:
    CM189191 said:
    i saw that new unemployment claims are at 6.6 million. trump has the best numbers.
    6.6 million on TOP of the previous 10 million. Team Trump Treason has the best, biggest, most beautiful and incredible numbers. Brilliant brilliance in all its brilliancy. Some might call it 3D chess.
    there's always a tweet

what a fucking moron.
    Yes, but like my Dad use to say: He's morOff  then  morOn
    edited April 2020
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Etc.

I don't come from the country of the patriot act.  I come from this country:

No angels sang the night  I started to walk
    A cogwheelsboy without any goal
    Hand in hand we went equally scared
    Sometimes we tried to speak
    But most often not more than a word or two  

• DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,424
    brianlux said:

Why post shit like this? Aren’t we in this together? Stop keeping score, we’re all losing.
    edited April 2020
    DewieCox said:
    brianlux said:

Why post shit like this? Aren’t we in this together? Stop keeping score, we’re all losing.
    To show that the gamut of "common sense" is bigger than "complete lockdown" or "covering streets in disinfection". 

Stealing supplies from other badly hurt countries does not sound like a sign of being "in this together" to me. And as I wrote, shows a "suffering of great lack of common sense". 

And yes, we are all losing -- and as I wrote: every one is working towards the same goal, to flatten the curve in the best way possible and get pass this pandemic. 

Boris Johnson has left ICU
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,945
    This is an awesome post. Love hearing that kind of stuff. Keep safe! 
    edited April 2020

"Straight up irresponsible," [prime minister] Stefan Löfven said of pub guests and restaurants that do not respect the crowd rules.
    But on the Thursday, many were attracted by the sun's warm rays at Medborgarplatsen in Stockholm.
    - Now that spring is coming, you want to go out and have a beer. But I have thought about what I'm doing is not so wise, says Nemi Rosand, 18.
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,424
    DewieCox said:
    brianlux said:

To show that the gamut of "common sense" is bigger than "complete lockdown" or "covering streets in disinfection". 

Stealing supplies from other badly hurt countries does not sound like a sign of being "in this together" to me. And as I wrote, shows a "suffering of great lack of common sense". 

Nobody here is responsible for thst.

Debate approaches if you like but it’s past time to stop keeping score between suffering countries.
    edited April 2020
    DewieCox said:
    DewieCox said:
    brianlux said:

Nobody here is responsible for thst.

Debate approaches if you like but it’s past time to stop keeping score between suffering countries.
    Who's keeping score between countries? 

I responded to a post.

We ride together. We flatten the curve together. Bad Boys for life.
    - Detective Mike Lowrey
This discussion has been closed.