The coronavirus

Comments

• Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,834
    edited April 2020
    Jesus, what a bunch of dumbasses. Notice no Tucker Carlson in the video though. Despite his faults, he's the only Fox News host to take the virus seriously from the beginning. Yeah, he calls it the Chinese Virus. And no, he doesn't directly criticize Trump by name. Rather, he uses code words to criticize Trump by substituting his name with "the federal government" or "our elected leaders." But he's been talking about the virus as a serious threat since January. I hope his other viewers took note, rather than allow themselves to be brainwashed by Hannity. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAh4uS4f78o
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,055
    edited April 2020
    tish said:
    Pictures of the streets getting disinfected makes me wonder how easily this disease is transmitted from the street to our shoes to our homes and bodies.

Thoughts?

"The most idiotic thing is the images from Asia where they drive around with tanker trucks spewing out disinfection on the streets. It's completely pointless. It's just to show people that politicians are doing something. Nothing else."

– Johan Giesecke

Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,571
    tish said:
    Pictures of the streets getting disinfected makes me wonder how easily this disease is transmitted from the street to our shoes to our homes and bodies.

Thoughts?
    If I had to guess, I would say this is being done to help calm people down more than to fight the virus.  My other guess is that disinfecting large areas such as streets is environmentally harmful.

Now, after making those comments, I did a little research and found this, which seems to support my suppositions:

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,383
    edited April 2020
    brianlux said:
    tish said:

Thoughts?
    If I had to guess, I would say this is being done to help calm people down more than to fight the virus.  My other guess is that disinfecting large areas such as streets is environmentally harmful.

Now, after making those comments, I did a little research and found this, which seems to support my suppositions:

I thoughts i read that the virus can attach to your shoes for a couple of days. So to me it makes sense why they would spray these areas.  
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,945
    tish said:

Thoughts?

"The most idiotic thing is the images from Asia where they drive around with tanker trucks spewing out disinfection on the streets. It's completely pointless. It's just to show people that politicians are doing something. Nothing else."

– Johan Giesecke

I don't have scientific evidence to back this up, but I would tend to agree with Giesecke on this one.  Based on what I've read, I find it hard to believe that there is a high level of viral transmission from a porous surface like concrete or asphalt.
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 Posts: 10,739
    Ontario plans to test 13000 people/day.  The Premier wants all health care workers tested.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • just found out that 2 guys i played high school football with have covid. both are hospitalized, one is on a ventillator. another friend lost his mom in michigan 2 days ago. 

i think every one of us are going to know multiple people directly impacted by this bug. it is so sad.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
    just found out that 2 guys i played high school football with have covid. both are hospitalized, one is on a ventillator. another friend lost his mom in michigan 2 days ago. 

i think every one of us are going to know multiple people directly impacted by this bug. it is so sad.

We learned that our vice mayor (I didn't know there was such a thing until now) who my wife has known through her business for many years, now has the virus.  We are told California will not peak until mid to late May, so I'm sure more people we know will have it.  Scares the shit out of me because... well, you know...
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• brianlux said:
    just found out that 2 guys i played high school football with have covid. both are hospitalized, one is on a ventillator. another friend lost his mom in michigan 2 days ago. 

We learned that our vice mayor (I didn't know there was such a thing until now) who my wife has known through her business for many years, now has the virus.  We are told California will not peak until mid to late May, so I'm sure more people we know will have it.  Scares the shit out of me because... well, you know...
    sorry to hear about your wife's friend.

hopefully you are all staying save out your way.

brianlux said:

So far, so good, my friend.  And my best to your friends.  I hope they pull through OK.  And I'm very sorry to hear about the loss of your friend's mom.  Very sad news.

• brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

So far, so good, my friend.  And my best to your friends.  I hope they pull through OK.  And I'm very sorry to hear about the loss of your friend's mom.  Very sad news.
    thanks man.

what i have noticed about a lot of people my age, our parents, born in the late 40s or early 50s, are having a hard time grasping the seriousness of the situation. they do not seem to grasp how important it is to stay home or social distance. my folks have been retired 10-15 years and are used to doing whatever they want whenever they want. the other day i had to tell them to stay the hell at home and that this is one of the times where they do not know better than i do. i have been having that conversation with so many friends the last couple of weeks.

• what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    I'm having the opposite problem with my mom, born in '41. I can't get her to take a walk outside because she thinks she'll breathe the virus in the air. She hasn't had fresh air in over a month.  

I am living with this terrible reality that as soon as the stay at home order lifts, and I am ordered back to work (at a germ infested school in August) that I'm going to be the reason my mom dies. My cousin and I just had the discussion that neither of us expect our parents to survive this before the vaccine comes out. Two years is a really long time for perfect hygiene measures to be successful. It's been really awful to think about 
  • I'm having the opposite problem with my mom, born in '41. I can't get her to take a walk outside because she thinks she'll breathe the virus in the air. She hasn't had fresh air in over a month.  

I am living with this terrible reality that as soon as the stay at home order lifts, and I am ordered back to work (at a germ infested school in August) that I'm going to be the reason my mom dies. My cousin and I just had the discussion that neither of us expect our parents to survive this before the vaccine comes out. Two years is a really long time for perfect hygiene measures to be successful. It's been really awful to think about 
    i would encourage you to keep up with the hygiene measures. if you do something for about 30 days it becomes a habit. 
    this covid thing may die out before the vaccine is ready, so there is that hope.
    i wish you and your mom continued good health. you all will get through this.

• SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 6,386
    edited April 2020

I'm having the opposite problem with my mom, born in '41. I can't get her to take a walk outside because she thinks she'll breathe the virus in the air. She hasn't had fresh air in over a month.  

No problem with my 70 year old Mom!
    STAND BACK!

Deepest condolences to those losing or scared for loved ones.

Edit: We are Canadian. That is a BB gun.
    Post edited by Spunkie on
    edited April 2020
    Giesecke

on

Swedish

Nightly

News

right now.

Stay tuned for an update.

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"

i would encourage you to keep up with the hygiene measures. if you do something for about 30 days it becomes a habit. 
    this covid thing may die out before the vaccine is ready, so there is that hope.
    Thank you. I was an obsessive hand washer before CoVid. It was always the first thing I did when I got home from school or anywhere, so that habit is there.

At school I kept as clean a room as I could but kids just don't know how to sneeze or cough in their sleeve, and I handle their papers all day long. It's going to be a challenge. 

I will persevere. In the three years I've cared for, I've reversed her heart failure and poor kidney function with diet, I've kept her diabetes well under control. Until now I've always thought she would end up dying from complications from a fall. Now this. I'm just tired.
    edited April 2020

*** GIESECKE UPDATE ***

- We should have been through the apex in Stockholm already, numbers are gonna start to fall. But will rise up a bit more in the rest of the country. Could be that the numbers these last days are just a "statistically coincidence" but he doesn't think so.

- Restrictions will be removed one by one. Not all at once. 

- Between 30-80 % do not feel symptoms of the disease. But they are not as likely to infect others. Stay home when feeling symptoms is still the number 1 way to stop spread.

- Hard to stop infection spreading at retirement homes. Experts in Sweden have been too optimistic about that it would not reach them.

• Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,508

Thank you. I was an obsessive hand washer before CoVid. It was always the first thing I did when I got home from school or anywhere, so that habit is there.

At school I kept as clean a room as I could but kids just don't know how to sneeze or cough in their sleeve, and I handle their papers all day long. It's going to be a challenge. 

I will persevere. In the three years I've cared for, I've reversed her heart failure and poor kidney function with diet, I've kept her diabetes well under control. Until now I've always thought she would end up dying from complications from a fall. Now this. I'm just tired.

Big cities like NY are screwed. There is no way to stop an asymptomatic highly contagious disease with thousands in office buildings or trains. Or even on a city sidewalk. We have been in isolation for 17 days, one of the first states to do so, and the new cases and deaths reported today are as bad as ever. I understand the deaths are from cases 2 or 3 weeks ago but shouldn’t we have fewer new cases by now?

Big cities like NY are screwed. There is no way to stop an asymptomatic highly contagious disease with thousands in office buildings or trains. Or even on a city sidewalk. We have been in isolation for 17 days, one of the first states to do so, and the new cases and deaths reported today are as bad as ever. I understand the deaths are from cases 2 or 3 weeks ago but shouldn’t we have fewer new cases by now?
    It's going to be a challenge for big cities for a long time. It's exhausting to think about.

We've been under state at home for almost 30 in the DC metro area. The new cases have plateaued for about a week. Deaths are still going up.

I wish they would start reporting the numbers of people who have RECOVERED. That would give people some hope.

*** GIESECKE UPDATE ***

- We should have been through the apex in Stockholm already, numbers are gonna start to fall. But will rise up a bit more in the rest of the country. Could be that the numbers these last days are just a "statistically coincidence" but he doesn't think so.

- Between 30-80 % do not feel symptoms of the disease. But they are not as likely to infect others. Stay home when feeling symptoms is still the number 1 way to stop spread.

- Hard to stop infection spreading at retirement homes. Experts in Sweden have been too optimistic about that it would not reach them.

30%-80%?  That's a pretty wide range there. 
    edited April 2020
    bbiggs said:

*** GIESECKE UPDATE ***

30%-80%?  That's a pretty wide range there. 
    Host: The Public Health Authority went out today with information that as many as 9 out of 10 might be sick but not feel symptoms at all. That seems like a very high number?

Giesecke: I question if it is that high. But somewhere between 30-80 % are sick but do not feel symptoms. That we know.

Host: 30 to 80? That's quite the range there.

Giesecke: Yes. It's not so easy to study this. Because the tests to see if someone has had the disease but now are healthy and immune,  they are not fully developed yet. They have just been starting to be used.

Host: But then I must ask, what does it matter to stay home if anyone can have it?

Giesecke: One should not exaggerate the possibility of infecting without feeling symptoms. It is probably rare. Or rather very rare. It's the ones with symptoms who really infect others. 

Host: So, one is less infectious if one doesn't have symptoms?

Giesecke: Yes, very likely. The amount of virus you exude if if you are sick is much higher if you have symptoms.

Host: But one can infect others even if you do not feel sick yet?

Giesecke: There are cases. But there is no point in getting caught up in that. It is rare - and it is not what is driving this pandemic.

Host: But we are interpreting all these signals from all of you experts, isn't this what you are saying?

Giesecke: *Short laugh* Yes...

Host: So, we shouldn't listen so much?

Giesecke: It is rare. Very rare.
    ^ Interesting exchange.  Nailing down percentages with so many unknown variables is impossible, so his response to the host makes sense.  Those percentages should become much tighter in the near future with the ability for everyone to test easily and quickly, as long as accurate reporting and tracking follows up the testing.  So much data to compile with this virus.
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

thanks man.

what i have noticed about a lot of people my age, our parents, born in the late 40s or early 50s, are having a hard time grasping the seriousness of the situation. they do not seem to grasp how important it is to stay home or social distance. my folks have been retired 10-15 years and are used to doing whatever they want whenever they want. the other day i had to tell them to stay the hell at home and that this is one of the times where they do not know better than i do. i have been having that conversation with so many friends the last couple of weeks.

I'm sorry to hear that.  Most of the people I know my age are staying home.  I have only gone out for a few walks when I know I can do so without getting near anyone.  Unfortunately, my wife has had to go out twice to apply for the small business loan because they screwed up the process the first time and because both times she had to take the application to her business partner to sign it and then take it to the bank.  Thankfully, she is ultra careful when going out then sanitizes everything that comes back with bleach or isopropyl alcohol (which is running low)  throws the clothes in the washer, etc.  This damn virus is so persistent and I worry a lot.  I feel like I'm having years shaved off my life from worry even if the damn thing itself doesn't get me. 

edited April 2020
    Take it easy, Bri! 
    Here are more BC updates from https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/safety/emergency-preparedness-response-recovery/covid-19-provincial-support/self-isolation-on-return

Starting April 10, 2020, provincial government officials will review self-isolation plans at key points of entry.

Airports

• Vancouver International Airport (YVR)

Land Border Crossings

• Peace Arch (Douglas)
    • Pacific
    • Boundary Bay
    • Osoyoos

• If you do not have an adequate self-isolation plan, you will be escorted to a federal quarantine accommodation where you can safely complete your 14-day self-isolation
    For those who are not quarantined, and have their plans approved...

During your 14-day period of isolation, you must:

• Undergo any health assessments that a quarantine officer requires
    • Monitor your signs and symptoms
    • Report to the public health authority specified by a screening officer or quarantine officer if you require additional medical care
    tish said:
    Take it easy, Bri! 
    Here are more BC updates from https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/safety/emergency-preparedness-response-recovery/covid-19-provincial-support/self-isolation-on-return

Starting April 10, 2020, provincial government officials will review self-isolation plans at key points of entry.

Airports

• Vancouver International Airport (YVR)

Land Border Crossings

• Peace Arch (Douglas)
    • Pacific
    • Boundary Bay
    • Osoyoos

• If you do not have an adequate self-isolation plan, you will be escorted to a federal quarantine accommodation where you can safely complete your 14-day self-isolation
    For those who are not quarantined, and have their plans approved...

During your 14-day period of isolation, you must:

• Undergo any health assessments that a quarantine officer requires
    • Monitor your signs and symptoms
    • Report to the public health authority specified by a screening officer or quarantine officer if you require additional medical care

Thanks, Tish! 

I really shouldn't complain.  I know there are many folks who are dealing with much worse than we are.  We're still relatively healthy and have enough to get by on. 

Best wishes to you all out there.  Stay safe!

It's okay to express our fears. My daughter has a genetic father only. So, I too have been extra careful as her sole caregiver. Like your wife, I had two public outings in the last few weeks when I brought home a new puppy. I wore an N95 mask both days. At present, we may not be in the thick of it Brian but we are all in this together!
    For those needing some at-home entertainment:

• SmellymanSmellyman Posts: 4,524
    edited April 2020
    Trump:  It's the WHOs fault so we are going to stop funding.  A very powerful stop.

later:

Reporter:  Is now a good time to cut funding at what is the timetable?

Trump:  I never said I was cutting funding.

Reporters face palming:  You just did!
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,751
    • Half of us are going to come out of this quarantine as amazing cooks. The other half will come out with a drinking problem.
    • I used to spin that toilet paper like I was on Wheel of Fortune. Now I turn it like I'm cracking a safe.
    • I need to practice social-distancing from the refrigerator.
    • Still haven't decided where to go for Easter ----- The Living Room or The Bedroom
    • PSA: every few days try your jeans on just to make sure they fit. Pajamas will have you believe all is well in the kingdom.
    • Homeschooling is going well. 2 students suspended for fighting and 1 teacher fired for drinking on the job.
    • I don't think anyone expected that when we changed the clocks we'd go from Standard Time to the Twilight Zone
    • This morning I saw a neighbor talking to her cat. It was obvious she thought her cat understood her. I came into my house, told my dog..... we laughed a lot.
    • So, after this quarantine.....will the producers of My 600 Pound Life just find me or do I find them?
    • Quarantine Day 5: Went to this restaurant called THE KITCHEN. You have to gather all the ingredients and make your own meal. I have no clue how this place is still in business.
    • My body has absorbed so much soap and disinfectant lately that when I pee it cleans the toilet.
    • Day 5 of Homeschooling: One of these little monsters called in a bomb threat.
    • I'm so excited --- it's time to take out the garbage. What should I wear?
    • Classified Ad: Single man with toilet paper seeks woman with hand sanitizer for good clean fun.
    • Day 6 of Homeschooling: My child just said "I hope I don't have the same teacher next year".... I'm offended.
    • Better 6 feet apart than 6 feet under
This discussion has been closed.