The coronavirus

Comments

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,055
    Interesting Graphs, regular flu in Sweden (teal is this year) -- showing that WASHING YOUR HANDS and social distancing is working:

Here is this seasons Winter vomiting disease (Calicivirus)/ Norwalk virus(?). SHowing that washing hands and social distancing has effect.

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,834
    Global daily death total dropped significantly yesterday after somewhat plateauing...

2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,382
    Global daily death total dropped significantly yesterday after somewhat plateauing...

Odd that it dropped last Sunday too.  Maybe less results because not as many people working?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,424
    mcgruff10 said:

Odd that it dropped last Sunday too.  Maybe less results because not as many people working?
    Reaper takes a half day on the sabbath.

DewieCox said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Reaper takes a half day on the sabbath.

that makes sense.  ;)
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,111
    Hey! Remember when I made fun of the SEIU a bunch of pages ago for "finding" a distributor with 39 million masks. Guess what? None of them showed up. Kaiser tried to verify and inspect the masks before the distributor finally admitted they didn't have possession of them. Now there's a federal fraud investigation. Unreal.

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-04-03/coronavirus-seiu-masks-supplies-investigation
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,125
    pjl44 said:
    Hey! Remember when I made fun of the SEIU a bunch of pages ago for "finding" a distributor with 39 million masks. Guess what? None of them showed up. Kaiser tried to verify and inspect the masks before the distributor finally admitted they didn't have possession of them. Now there's a federal fraud investigation. Unreal.

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-04-03/coronavirus-seiu-masks-supplies-investigation
    I wonder who’s behind it maybe the hospital staff intercepted them and are now selling them at triple the price lol 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • dankinddankind Posts: 20,831
    Let me tell you about two trickle down events that have risen because of Covid19, my wife is a forensic nurse she specializes in Rape & strangulation victims not dead victims but victims of abuse, she has to work in tandem with police dept here on Long Island Suffolk county to be precise normally she gets the call either from the ER or police themselves more like detectives. She has learned that since the spike in Corona cases the police have been talking victims out of going to hospital so they don’t have to go into hospitals themselves because of fear of being infected! That just sucks I understand the fear factor but I feel horrible for these victims that can’t be seen if they listen to detectives involved I’m not blaming anyone but it just sucks..

Just one of many horrible consequences.

Intimate partner violence appears to have increased significantly, with the need to quarantine. Too much time in close quarters, and no means of escape for victims. 
    And liquor stores deemed essential....
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • CM189191CM189191 Posts: 6,927
    mcgruff10 said:

I think I read somewhere that numbers are dropping over the weekends.  Less testing being done on the weekends or something like that.  
  • YAKIMATSUYAKIMATSU Santa Fe Posts: 836
    RideRick said:
    PJNB said:

Myself?

Im not going to any baseball games, concerts, sporting events in general, for a year. They could open up baseball in July or August, offer $1.00 tickets with a free beer and a hot dog, and there is no way in hell I am going. Same for a concert. Pearl Jam can offer FREE tickets, and I still wont go, until we are in 2021.

Just me.

That’s where I fall no way am I stepping foot in a crowded event..

And what if you and the most of people you know are immune to the virus.  
    They need to test everyone as fast and widespread as possible.  Then and only then you know if you are immune or still open for infection.  The numbers say that a lot of people maybe already are immune but due to lack of testing nobody knows...
    Immunity?  Has it been proven that anyone is immune? Herd immunity is a theory. Immune,  I hope, but I also want proof. Show me infected people coughing and sneezing and touching others with no protection with no effects. 
    Soldier Field 7-11-95, Alpine Valley 6-26-98, United Center 6-29-98, Riverport Amphitheater (St. Louis)7-2-98, MGM Grand Arena 10-22-00, Sprint Center (Kansas City)5-3-10, Adams Event Center (Missoula)9-30-12, Wrigley Field 7-19-13, Jobing.com Arena (Phoenix)11-19-13, Moda Center (Portland)11-29-13, Spokane Arena 11-30-13, Pepsi Center (Denver)10-22-14, Gila River Arena (Phoenix)5-9-22, Moody Center (Austin)9-18-23, Moody Center 9-19-23, Rogers Arena (Vancouver)5-4-24, Rogers Arena 5-6-24, MGM Grand 5-16-24, MGM Grand 5-18-24, Wrigley Field 8-29-24, Wrigley Field 8-31-24
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,508
    This covid is getting the better of me. Ive just mistaken Insignificance as Grievance. What the heck is going on 
    This covid is getting the better of me. Ive just mistaken Insignificance as Grievance. What the heck is going on 
    Whoa.  That is serious. 
  • 23scidoo23scidoo Posts: 19,057
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..

Annika asks: How are we to do during the easter break. Our healthy 10-11 year old kids who usually play together at school, can we let them play with each other at home?

Giesecke: YES.

Björn asks: I am 72 years old and is following all given recommendations. My father is 97 years old and lives alone without any help. We have no diseases. Can I visit him?

Giesecke: Hmm... yes, I think so. If Björn is healthy he should visit his old dad.

With the virus now spreading through our retirement homes - isn't this proof that Swedens way is way to lenient?

Giesecke: No. Not at all.

Daniel asks: Different experts seem to asses the risks completely differently. Who should one really listen to?

Giesecke: One should listen to the Public Health Authority. There lies the best expertise. Suddenly for some reason there have popped up many "experts" lately, and it's not always that they know what they are talking about.

News Host: But it is easy I feel to be affected of how it looks around the world. Where they have much stricter rules.

Giesecke: But in the end it doesn't really matter. Go out an evening in Stockholm, it's completely empty. People are at home. But it's so nifty in Sweden because when the authoritys recommend something - people follow. We don't need the police in the streets, or fines or jail time. And the difference between Sweden and the rest of the world is marginal.

News Host: But lets take masks, where the opinions really differ around the world.

Giesecke: That is because the knowledge about how much masks help or not help is really lacking. We know that it makes a difference in the hospital, but walking around outside with them it is highly doubtful it has any real effect.

Karena ask: If there are a lack of protective equipment in the hospitals, and the virus doesn't survive that long on surfaces couldn't you put visors and things in quarantine and re-use them.

Giesecke: Yes. Should work.

Lena asks: We can now see more and more countries advice people to use face masks. Why are we not doing this in Sweden?

Giesecke: Because there are no real proofs of it having effect. Running around with a piece of cloth that get moist?

Erik asks: Can older people above 70 years old also get mild symptoms or do they always get really sick?

Giesecke: No no no. They can also get next to no symptoms. 

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,666
    YAKIMATSU said:
    RideRick said:
    PJNB said:

Myself?

Im not going to any baseball games, concerts, sporting events in general, for a year. They could open up baseball in July or August, offer $1.00 tickets with a free beer and a hot dog, and there is no way in hell I am going. Same for a concert. Pearl Jam can offer FREE tickets, and I still wont go, until we are in 2021.

Just me.

They need to test everyone as fast and widespread as possible.  Then and only then you know if you are immune or still open for infection.  The numbers say that a lot of people maybe already are immune but due to lack of testing nobody knows...
    Immunity?  Has it been proven that anyone is immune? Herd immunity is a theory. Immune,  I hope, but I also want proof. Show me infected people coughing and sneezing and touching others with no protection with no effects. 
    Im not sure anyone is 'immune' to a novel virus.  It is a matter of the way the immune system is built and its strength in minimizing the hold the thing gets and how bad the symptoms are (as well as underlying conditions making the symptoms worse).  

Theoretically, once a person beats off a virus, they possess the antibodies to make them immune to the virus again taking hold.  Therefore they would be immune.  Indications are that this virus is not very active by the way of mutations so we likely wont see different waves of the similar virus year after year like the flu.  I have seen it hypothesized that in 3-5 years it will still be here, but people will build defenses and natural selection with the virus will give most humans cold-like symptoms and severity as most people will have the basic antibodies.
    YAKIMATSU said:
    RideRick said:
    PJNB said:

Myself?

Just me.

The swede in you should give you a little more faith in science. 

In what way is herd immunity a theory by the way?
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,170
    Well, I'm about to step out into the world during the daytime for the first time in 3+ weeks. I just don't want to have to deal with people but I must with several in person errands to complete, apprehensive ain't the word I'm feeling right now.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

edited April 2020

Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • YAKIMATSUYAKIMATSU Santa Fe Posts: 836
    Hypothesis and theory are not facts. If this needs further explanation,  I can't help you. Yes, previous viruses that once you get and recover and can develop an immunity.  Does that mean that this is true for this virus, in theory or hypothetically yes. Facts take time and research, studies and tests. I am hopeful that the theory and hypotheticals are true. 
    Soldier Field 7-11-95, Alpine Valley 6-26-98, United Center 6-29-98, Riverport Amphitheater (St. Louis)7-2-98, MGM Grand Arena 10-22-00, Sprint Center (Kansas City)5-3-10, Adams Event Center (Missoula)9-30-12, Wrigley Field 7-19-13, Jobing.com Arena (Phoenix)11-19-13, Moda Center (Portland)11-29-13, Spokane Arena 11-30-13, Pepsi Center (Denver)10-22-14, Gila River Arena (Phoenix)5-9-22, Moody Center (Austin)9-18-23, Moody Center 9-19-23, Rogers Arena (Vancouver)5-4-24, Rogers Arena 5-6-24, MGM Grand 5-16-24, MGM Grand 5-18-24, Wrigley Field 8-29-24, Wrigley Field 8-31-24
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 10,639

Annika asks: How are we to do during the easter break. Our healthy 10-11 year old kids who usually play together at school, can we let them play with each other at home?

Björn asks: I am 72 years old and is following all given recommendations. My father is 97 years old and lives alone without any help. We have no diseases. Can I visit him?

Giesecke: Hmm... yes, I think so. If Björn is healthy he should visit his old dad.

With the virus now spreading through our retirement homes - isn't this proof that Swedens way is way to lenient?

Daniel asks: Different experts seem to asses the risks completely differently. Who should one really listen to?

Giesecke: One should listen to the Public Health Authority. There lies the best expertise. Suddenly for some reason there have popped up many "experts" lately, and it's not always that they know what they are talking about.

News Host: But it is easy I feel to be affected of how it looks around the world. Where they have much stricter rules.

Giesecke: But in the end it doesn't really matter. Go out an evening in Stockholm, it's completely empty. People are at home. But it's so nifty in Sweden because when the authoritys recommend something - people follow. We don't need the police in the streets, or fines or jail time. And the difference between Sweden and the rest of the world is marginal.

News Host: But lets take masks, where the opinions really differ around the world.

Giesecke: That is because the knowledge about how much masks help or not help is really lacking. We know that it makes a difference in the hospital, but walking around outside with them it is highly doubtful it has any real effect.

Karena ask: If there are a lack of protective equipment in the hospitals, and the virus doesn't survive that long on surfaces couldn't you put visors and things in quarantine and re-use them.

Lena asks: We can now see more and more countries advice people to use face masks. Why are we not doing this in Sweden?

Giesecke: Because there are no real proofs of it having effect. Running around with a piece of cloth that get moist?

Erik asks: Can older people above 70 years old also get mild symptoms or do they always get really sick?

Ummmm. Forget it, I am at a loss for words.

• Mike D88Mike D88 Posts: 723
    edited April 2020
    pjl44 said:

The fraudsters and grifters are coming out of the woodwork for this one.
    YAKIMATSU said:
    The swede in you should give you a little more faith in science. 

In what way is herd immunity a theory by the way?
    If you want to talk science: It has not been proven scientifically that humans develop immunity to SARS-CoV-2. It is merely assumed that they will, and that the presence of antibodies indicates a recovered person with immunity. And immunity could present its own dangers. Antibodies to respiratory disease drop off with time. Coronaviruses can also undergo ADE.
    i-Brzk3Rdjpg
    2008 Tampa - 2013 Buffalo - 2016 Tampa - 2016 Fenway II
    Audioslave 2005 MSG
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524

Is this supposed to mean something?
    edited April 2020
    MF117973 said:

Ummmm. Forget it, I am at a loss for words.

It's not even worth responding.  How many lives could have been saved if Sweden actually had the same precautions as the rest of Europe?  I just don't get it.  I guess this what the rest of the world feels like when Trump says the science isn't there to believe in global warming.
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,569
    brianlux said:
    RideRick said:
    MayDay10 said:
    In 25 days, I havent been anywhere other than stopping into work briefly and buying food 
    25 days?  Inside since beginning of March?
    We are inside our own houses since 13 March here in the Netherlands.  Reasonable liberty as long as we as the people don't go en masse to parks and beaches or likeso.  Shops are still open.  You can go to homemarkets and supermarkets.  Etc.  Only small shops who can't create enough room.  Still..  it doesn't feel like the Corona is hitting us hard.  But i have to be carefull because i am a possible IC patient.

That's interesting, Rick.  Here in California it is much different.  If my wife's bookstore had isles wide enough to drive a bus through and had only 2 customers a day it would still not be allowed to open.  Only critical infrastructure and essential services are open. 

As I posted earlier, it’s city living that will be under economic attack more so than the places in between. If you work in a city you could come in contact with thousands each day and there is no way to control the spread under those conditions until a treatment is developed. And historically (not wanting to make a derisive MSFT comment!) but cities drive the US economy.

S Korea has been a top performing nation for weeks and they are still getting 50 new cases per day. My large employer shut our offices down when NY had only 200 cases, to put that in perspective, and at that time, we had no idea NY would become the epicenter.

I can't imagine how hard this is (and even more so, will become) for people living in inner cities, especially the less well of in urban areas.  Yes, our greatest cities- places like New York, and Los Angeles- are the heart of the country.  Though not a big city person myself, I hope these places recover well after the virus is finally done and gone.  It will be an uphill struggle, no doubt.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

It's like groundhog day here in NJ:

New Jersey’s deaths from the coronavirus increased to 1,003 on Monday as health officials announced the total COVID-19 positive tests jumped to at least 41,090 with the peak of the outbreak still likely weeks away.

The latest coronavirus numbers revealed on the state Department of Health’s website show more than 3,500 new coronavirus cases in the state. Gov. Phil Murphy is expected to discuss the efforts to slow the spread of the virus during his daily briefing Monday.

edited April 2020
    mcgruff10 said:

I guess this what the rest of the world feels like when Trump says the science isn't there to believe in global warming.
    What would you feel about someone proudly voting for Trump, who says the science isn't there to believe in global warming, over someone who does believe in science?
    edited April 2020
    mcgruff10 said:

It's not even worth responding.  How many lives could have been saved if Sweden actually had the same precautions as the rest of Europe? 
    How's it going with saving lives in New Jersey with all those scientifically superproven precautions you have that Sweden's expertise are so idiotic to believe are pointless or at present unwise when weighing them against the negative effect they would have on public health?
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,314
    mcgruff10 said:

It's not even worth responding.  How many lives could have been saved if Sweden actually had the same precautions as the rest of Europe? 
    How's it going with saving lives in New Jersey with all those scientifically superproven precautions you have that Sweden's expertise are so idiotic to believe are pointless or at present unwise when weighing them against the negative effect they would have on public health?
    JFC...What the fuck is wrong with you?  
    hippiemom = goodness
    edited April 2020
    mcgruff10 said:

JFC...What the fuck is wrong with you?  
    ? I asked a question ? 
    But let me guess the answer - Sweden doesn't look that much different. As Gisecke himself has said:

And the difference between Sweden and the rest of the world is marginal.

Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
This discussion has been closed.