The coronavirus

Comments

• mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,613
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,054
    edited April 2020
    hedonist said:
    Picturing people on here watching The Other Guys:

"Why is Will Ferrel saying that tuna will constructa breathing apparatus to go up on land and kill Lions? That is not relevant. Tuna fish can't construct such things. It doesn't make any sense. Baby, your uncle is a fisherman - can you call him and ask about this." 
    Man, it seems like you're flailing here.

Utterly asinine.

YAKI, I laughed at that too.  Excellent!
    To my knowledge, and I might be wrong, it wasn't me that was "flailing" ("wave or swing wildly"?)  because Ohio and Sweden happen to share a similar tragedy and I mentioned that when Ohio in connection to Sweden was brought up.

Now was it?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • 23scidoo23scidoo Posts: 19,057
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,382
    mickeyrat said:
    rgambs said:
    Whoa, hold up. 
    Was there an instance when Swedish military massacred demonstrators?  

If, so, I retract all that and apologize, I thought you were being sarcastic.
    1931. Union strike and following demonstration against use of scabs..

always an opportunity to learn, isnt there.
    First off the whole thing is irrelevant in respect to gambs post.  Second if you are going to post something like that explain it further.  Everyone knows about Kent state but I am going to guess not as many people know about the 1931 massacre in Sweden.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Mike D88Mike D88 Posts: 723
    As the first alarms sounded in early January that an outbreak of a novel coronavirus in China might ignite a global pandemic, the Trump administration squandered nearly two months that could have been used to bolster the federal stockpile of critically needed medical supplies and equipment.

A review of federal purchasing contracts by The Associated Press shows federal agencies waited until mid-March to begin placing bulk orders of N95 respirator masks, mechanical ventilators and other equipment needed by front-line health care workers.
    HHS did not respond to questions about why federal officials waited to order medical supplies until stocks were running critically low. But President Donald Trump has asserted that the federal government should take a back seat to states when it comes to dealing with the pandemic.
    Because of the fractured federal response to COVID-19, state governors say they’re now bidding against federal agencies and each other for scarce supplies, driving up prices.

“You now literally will have a company call you up and say, ‘Well, California just outbid you,’” Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo, D-N.Y., said Tuesday. “It’s like being on eBay with 50 other states, bidding on a ventilator.”
    i-Brzk3Rdjpg
    2008 Tampa - 2013 Buffalo - 2016 Tampa - 2016 Fenway II
    Audioslave 2005 MSG
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    This has been going around my head lately...

Regardless of what "leaders" mandate for a particular state, city, country, what have you...is it not considered prudent to avoid gatherings in pubs or similar spaces without being told to do so?  Doesn't common sense dictate basic safety measures for yourself, family and friends?

The mindset of some - "well, we haven't been TOLD we need to do X, Y & Z, so I'm taking advantage!" - strikes me as flouting reality for selfish reasons.  Just avoid that shit, for fuck's sake.
  • SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,382
    PJNB said:
    DewieCox said:
    Trump/sports commissioners conferfence call. Full arenas and baseball  by August, NFL start in September. Didn’t see it mentioned. Seems somewhat reasonable but I think stadium sized crowds could be too much. I like MLB’s idea of playing in empty stadiums in centralized location til we get a handle on how hard it will hit in the fall. 
    This isn't going to happen.  
    Until they get a vaccine in place no sane leadership will support this 
    Which means that Trump will leave it up to others to land in the correct spots on this.

Agree about no crowd activities.  They could happen.

You think sports with fans are done for 12-18 months? 
    I sure hope not but I think that until we know if this is going to come back in the fall, as some suspect, I don't think there is a way they open stadiums for leagues.  
    If it takes 12-18 I think we will have to do it without crowds.  
    Or, I could see people who recover being ok to be a part of crowds if they show immunity is carrying.
    Who knows ....damn this sucks.

Myself?

Im not going to any baseball games, concerts, sporting events in general, for a year. They could open up baseball in July or August, offer $1.00 tickets with a free beer and a hot dog, and there is no way in hell I am going. Same for a concert. Pearl Jam can offer FREE tickets, and I still wont go, until we are in 2021.

Just me.

Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • YAKIMATSUYAKIMATSU Santa Fe Posts: 836
    I do now understand the know-it-all part of my personality, genetics. Thanks sc, yes learning is good, but behaving like a pompous ass to "teach" is just low brow and intimates a highly insecure personality. 
    Yes. I will take my ban like a man.
    Soldier Field 7-11-95, Alpine Valley 6-26-98, United Center 6-29-98, Riverport Amphitheater (St. Louis)7-2-98, MGM Grand Arena 10-22-00, Sprint Center (Kansas City)5-3-10, Adams Event Center (Missoula)9-30-12, Wrigley Field 7-19-13, Jobing.com Arena (Phoenix)11-19-13, Moda Center (Portland)11-29-13, Spokane Arena 11-30-13, Pepsi Center (Denver)10-22-14, Gila River Arena (Phoenix)5-9-22, Moody Center (Austin)9-18-23, Moody Center 9-19-23, Rogers Arena (Vancouver)5-4-24, Rogers Arena 5-6-24, MGM Grand 5-16-24, MGM Grand 5-18-24, Wrigley Field 8-29-24, Wrigley Field 8-31-24
  • YAKIMATSUYAKIMATSU Santa Fe Posts: 836
    PJNB said:
    DewieCox said:
    Trump/sports commissioners conferfence call. Full arenas and baseball  by August, NFL start in September. Didn’t see it mentioned. Seems somewhat reasonable but I think stadium sized crowds could be too much. I like MLB’s idea of playing in empty stadiums in centralized location til we get a handle on how hard it will hit in the fall. 
    Which means that Trump will leave it up to others to land in the correct spots on this.

I sure hope not but I think that until we know if this is going to come back in the fall, as some suspect, I don't think there is a way they open stadiums for leagues.  
    Or, I could see people who recover being ok to be a part of crowds if they show immunity is carrying.

Myself?

Im not going to any baseball games, concerts, sporting events in general, for a year. They could open up baseball in July or August, offer $1.00 tickets with a free beer and a hot dog, and there is no way in hell I am going. Same for a concert. Pearl Jam can offer FREE tickets, and I still wont go, until we are in 2021.

Just me.

Not just you. I will be on the home rail too. 
    Soldier Field 7-11-95, Alpine Valley 6-26-98, United Center 6-29-98, Riverport Amphitheater (St. Louis)7-2-98, MGM Grand Arena 10-22-00, Sprint Center (Kansas City)5-3-10, Adams Event Center (Missoula)9-30-12, Wrigley Field 7-19-13, Jobing.com Arena (Phoenix)11-19-13, Moda Center (Portland)11-29-13, Spokane Arena 11-30-13, Pepsi Center (Denver)10-22-14, Gila River Arena (Phoenix)5-9-22, Moody Center (Austin)9-18-23, Moody Center 9-19-23, Rogers Arena (Vancouver)5-4-24, Rogers Arena 5-6-24, MGM Grand 5-16-24, MGM Grand 5-18-24, Wrigley Field 8-29-24, Wrigley Field 8-31-24
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,613
    mcgruff10 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    rgambs said:
    Whoa, hold up. 
    Was there an instance when Swedish military massacred demonstrators?  

If, so, I retract all that and apologize, I thought you were being sarcastic.
    1931. Union strike and following demonstration against use of scabs..

always an opportunity to learn, isnt there.
    First off the whole thing is irrelevant in respect to gambs post.  Second if you are going to post something like that explain it further.  Everyone knows about Kent state but I am going to guess not as many people know about the 1931 massacre in Sweden.  
    I agree, which is why I looked after his picture and later posts stating similarity were shared.

further, historically gov/private agent violence and union members wasnt as seeming an outrageous happenstance in that era , at least here.  Hell violence against demonstrators in the 60s civil rights fight was evening news fodder.

to be clear, personally I find it all abhorrent.

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Mike D88Mike D88 Posts: 723
    edited April 2020
    mickeyrat said:
    One of those things you take for granted is how previous presidents actually read books. The fact that we even need to consciously recognize that is pretty sad. Everyone reads, right? Well, the current president probably can't finish a book, if he even possesses the necessary literacy to even try.

Both Clinton and Bush took an interest in pandemic response because of books that laid out the danger. Obama kept our preparedness in place after H1N1 struck early in his first term, and then the ebola scare followed, but aggressive contact tracing kept ebola from spreading even after it landed here (I'll note here that the current president demanded at the time that Obama should resign over the incident). I don't know if we were on good enough footing to box in SARS-CoV-2, but we were certainly on better footing before Trump.
    i-Brzk3Rdjpg
    2008 Tampa - 2013 Buffalo - 2016 Tampa - 2016 Fenway II
    Audioslave 2005 MSG
    YAKIMATSU said:
    PJNB said:
    DewieCox said:

Myself?

Just me.

Not just you. I will be on the home rail too. 

Yankee Stadium? They could let me throw out the 1st pitch, then play 3rd base and bat leadoff on opening day. No thanks.

I wouldn't step foot in that place for a year, minimum

edited April 2020
    mcgruff10 said:

Everyone knows about Kent state but I am going to guess not as many people know about the 1931 massacre in Sweden.  
    Well, I brought it up in my post. So any prior knowledge was not needed to read my post. It clearly states the similarity. It was not anything more than that. Whether relevant or not.

And I would also argue against "everyone" knowing about Kent State.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • What if you got and recovered from The Rona - would you go, then?
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    YAKIMATSU said:
    I do now understand the know-it-all part of my personality, genetics. Thanks sc, yes learning is good, but behaving like a pompous ass to "teach" is just low brow and intimates a highly insecure personality. 
    Yes. I will take my ban like a man.
    Please elaborate. 
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,125
    PJNB said:
    DewieCox said:

I def won’t attend any sporting events for a long time maybe a few years down the road, just thinking about the two stadiums here in NY one is in the Bronx the other in Queens when do you thing these two boroughs will get an all clear & by whom meaning who would you trust to give the all clear?
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    edited April 2020
    DewieCox said:
    DewieCox said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    mickeyrat said:
    rgambs said:
    I will be putting together a little comparison on my state, Ohio, and Sweden at some point.
    We have roughly equivalent population sizes and are polar opposites on reaction to the pandemic, with Ohio being one of the very earliest to enact strict social distancing measures and Sweden being the very last.
    Should be interesting, I wish everyone well!
    And we both have had famous cases of the military gunning down our own citizens during demonstrations. 
    thank you for confirming my opinion of you and in fact lowering it considerably with this irrelevant to the current crisis statement.

very ironic considering how superior attitude has been in stating the US or its citizens cant take criticism.

so please , do go out daily and interact with your fellow citizens. You know , following your governments lead on this.
    nicknyr15 said:
    rgambs said:
    I will be putting together a little comparison on my state, Ohio, and Sweden at some point.
    We have roughly equivalent population sizes and are polar opposites on reaction to the pandemic, with Ohio being one of the very earliest to enact strict social distancing measures and Sweden being the very last.
    And we both have had famous cases of the military gunning down our own citizens during demonstrations. 
    Irrelevant 
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    Right-O mate!  And we both sent almost a million men to fight the Nazis.
    And both are super duper relevant 👍
    Sounds like some kind of nerve was struck.

Surprised.
    Hah!  You're the one who responded to a calm, measured post with a completely irrelevant flame bait.  We all know it's you with the struck nerve, maybe I should make a poll on it lol
    Where exactly lies the "flame bait" in what I wrote?
    I am not playing this game with you, I prefer to retain what respect I have for you, and that will quickly dissolve if you carry on pretending you didn't make that statement with the intent of instigating.

I have the guts to admit that my Giesecke posts are friendly mockery, have the guts to own yours as well.
    I was not mocking you or the state of Ohio in any way.

But please, explain where the flame bait lies. Where lies the intention of "instigating"?
    Every post you’ve made the last few pages.
    Nope.
    Yep, even if it wasn’t the intent. Posting those pics is flame worthy even if Sweden had no cases.
    If showing a snapshot of how real life during corona is in another country than yours, is "flame worthy" to you.

Then perheps deal with these feelings of flame worthiness you have, instead of acting out against other posters.

I was just showing a saturday evening in Sweden in april, it being relevant to the thread.
    The swedish King will hold a speech to the nation tonight.
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,111
    Man, so it seems like Sweden is going to be a control group of sorts. Flies in the face of everything I've read but who knows. Hang in there and thanks, I guess?
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,424
    DewieCox said:
    DewieCox said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    mickeyrat said:
    rgambs said:
    thank you for confirming my opinion of you and in fact lowering it considerably with this irrelevant to the current crisis statement.

very ironic considering how superior attitude has been in stating the US or its citizens cant take criticism.

so please , do go out daily and interact with your fellow citizens. You know , following your governments lead on this.
    nicknyr15 said:
    rgambs said:
    Irrelevant 
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

Surprised.
    Hah!  You're the one who responded to a calm, measured post with a completely irrelevant flame bait.  We all know it's you with the struck nerve, maybe I should make a poll on it lol
    I am not playing this game with you, I prefer to retain what respect I have for you, and that will quickly dissolve if you carry on pretending you didn't make that statement with the intent of instigating.

I have the guts to admit that my Giesecke posts are friendly mockery, have the guts to own yours as well.

But please, explain where the flame bait lies. Where lies the intention of "instigating"?
    Nope.
    Yep, even if it wasn’t the intent. Posting those pics is flame worthy even if Sweden had no cases.
    If showing a snapshot of how real life during corona is in another country than yours, is "flame worthy" to you.

Then perheps deal with these feelings of flame worthiness you have, instead of acting out against other posters.

I was just showing a saturday evening in Sweden in april, it being relevant to the thread.
    You posted and then were flamed. 

Acting out? 

Trollers gonna troll I guess. 

You’re either throwing it in peoples’ faces that your country is less affected or you’re throwing caution to the wind despite the advice from the world at large. . Take your pick.

What if you got and recovered from The Rona - would you go, then?

Not going to any major event until 2021.

Now, if there is a vaccine in the next few months?

Or the numbers drop dramatically?

Nevermind, I am not going to any major event until 2021.

DewieCox said:
    DewieCox said:
    DewieCox said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    mickeyrat said:
    rgambs said:

nicknyr15 said:
    rgambs said:
    Irrelevant 
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

Surprised.

Nope.

Acting out? 

You’re either throwing it in peoples’ faces that your country is less affected or you’re throwing caution to the wind despite the advice from the world at large. . Take your pick.

• MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,666
    PJNB said:
    DewieCox said:

I don't see ticketed events happening until the mid-fall at the earliest, probably later.  It is probably a low priority in the 'getting back to normalcy' power rankings.  It just doesnt seem feasible until there is a vaccine, and by all accounts the vaccine will (hopefully) arrive in 2021 and who knows how long it will take for manufacturing and distribution.  

Maybe if someone discovers some way to stop this virus in its tracks and we do not require so many lengthy hospitalizations and the cases overall are not as severe?

If our federal government was coherent, we would have a path ahead.  April would be a month of flattening the curve.  Curve goes down in May and we roll out mass testing and contact tracing.  June-on we could start to carefully roll certain pieces of economy/society back into place.  

• brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,569
    hedonist said:

Regardless of what "leaders" mandate for a particular state, city, country, what have you...is it not considered prudent to avoid gatherings in pubs or similar spaces without being told to do so?  Doesn't common sense dictate basic safety measures for yourself, family and friends?

The mindset of some - "well, we haven't been TOLD we need to do X, Y & Z, so I'm taking advantage!" - strikes me as flouting reality for selfish reasons.  Just avoid that shit, for fuck's sake.

I so very much agree.  Common sense seems to be lacking greatly in some folks and taking the risk to self and others is incomprehensible.  I cringe when I see these pictures of people flocking to beaching or hanging together in bars and such.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,382
    DewieCox said:
    DewieCox said:
    DewieCox said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    mickeyrat said:
    rgambs said:

nicknyr15 said:
    rgambs said:
    Irrelevant 
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

Surprised.

Nope.

Acting out? 

It is odd that you are a big believer in science until you aren’t.  

I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    mcgruff10 said:
    DewieCox said:
    DewieCox said:
    DewieCox said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    mickeyrat said:
    rgambs said:

nicknyr15 said:
    rgambs said:
    Irrelevant 
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

Surprised.

Nope.

Acting out? 

It is odd that you are a big believer in science until you aren’t.  

Oh, I am:

• The Pied Piper of The Rona!
    Johan/God
    edited April 2020
    hedonist said:

So how long can a country stay on total lockdown? 

Sweden's public health authorities opinion about that is "for a limited amount of time", so they do not want to lockdown more than needed until it, according to them, is needed. And instead ask the population to adhere to their recommendations regarding hygiene and social distancing and people over 70 and in a risk group to be cautious etc. So that the health care can cope with it, and focus being on everyone in a riskgroup being protected. 

I use common sense regarding this every day. Even when visiting the half-empty local pub supporting it, sitting in a corner with two of my friends - neither being in a risk group or old. Not like I was Joe Biden every girl in the place. Or not washing my hands when I got home. Locking yourself up in a room, not meeting your family or anyone and eating all the toilet paper your have bunkered up last time you dared to leave your room because someone somehow could carry Corona like THE THING isn't all that feasible for everyone either. And for how long?

How long will a total lockdown work, before people start breaking it just because it turns into the new, boring, not feasible normal? And how much will have crashed because of it?

A vaccin won't come for at least 18 months.

• Sweden has a bad trend going....just like most places.  I hope it doesn't continue....good thing precautions are being taken.  ;)

edited April 2020
    Sweden has a bad trend going....just like most places.  I hope it doesn't continue....good thing precautions are being taken.  ;)

In the words of Johan Giesecke, and I am paraphrasing, "most countries with some outliers (italy, dictatorships like china) will have pretty much the same development and results in the end"
This discussion has been closed.