The coronavirus

Comments

• YAKIMATSUYAKIMATSU Santa Fe Posts: 836
    Renfield said:
    If all animals are potentially carriers, words fail. 
    Soldier Field 7-11-95, Alpine Valley 6-26-98, United Center 6-29-98, Riverport Amphitheater (St. Louis)7-2-98, MGM Grand Arena 10-22-00, Sprint Center (Kansas City)5-3-10, Adams Event Center (Missoula)9-30-12, Wrigley Field 7-19-13, Jobing.com Arena (Phoenix)11-19-13, Moda Center (Portland)11-29-13, Spokane Arena 11-30-13, Pepsi Center (Denver)10-22-14, Gila River Arena (Phoenix)5-9-22, Moody Center (Austin)9-18-23, Moody Center 9-19-23, Rogers Arena (Vancouver)5-4-24, Rogers Arena 5-6-24, MGM Grand 5-16-24, MGM Grand 5-18-24, Wrigley Field 8-29-24, Wrigley Field 8-31-24
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,614
    Renfield said:
    article I read in other big cats were sick too but hadnt been tested...
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,055

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,111
  • RenfieldRenfield Posts: 1,054
    mickeyrat said:
    Renfield said:
    article I read in other big cats were sick too but hadnt been tested...
    My friend in the Netherlands just told me a cat was diagnosed w Coronavirus in Belgium last week. Strange after 4 months.... I hope it’s not going to be an issue
  • SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 6,386

Here's some info from my neck of the woods: https://news.ubc.ca/2020/04/02/ubc-led-study-finds-trial-drug-can-significantly-block-early-stages-of-covid-19-in-engineered-human-tissues/

Trial drug can significantly block early stages of COVID-19 in engineered human tissues

SCIENCE, HEALTH & TECHNOLOGY

Apr 2, 2020    |   For more information, contact Thandi Fletcher

‘There is hope for this horrible pandemic,’ says UBC scientist Dr. Josef Penninger

An international team led by University of British Columbia researcher Dr. Josef Penninger has found a trial drug that effectively blocks the cellular door SARS-CoV-2 uses to infect its hosts.

The findings, published today in Cell, hold promise as a treatment capable of stopping early infection of the novel coronavirus that, as of April 2, has affected more than 981,000 people and claimed the lives of 50,000 people worldwide.

The study provides new insights into key aspects of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, and its interactions on a cellular level, as well as how the virus can infect blood vessels and kidneys.

“We are hopeful our results have implications for the development of a novel drug for the treatment of this unprecedented pandemic,” says Penninger, professor in UBC’s faculty of medicine, director of the Life Sciences Institute and the Canada 150 Research Chair in Functional Genetics at UBC.

“This work stems from an amazing collaboration among academic researchers and companies, including Dr. Ryan Conder’s gastrointestinal group at STEMCELL Technologiesin Vancouver, Nuria Montserrat in Spain, Drs. Haibo Zhang and Art Slutsky from Toronto and especially Ali Mirazimi’s infectious biology team in Sweden, who have been working tirelessly day and night for weeks to better understand the pathology of this disease and to provide breakthrough therapeutic options.”

ACE2 — a protein on the surface of the cell membrane — is now at centre-stage in this outbreak as the key receptor for the spike glycoprotein of SARS-CoV-2. In earlier work, Penninger and colleagues at the University of Toronto and the Institute of Molecular Biology in Vienna first identified ACE2, and found that in living organisms, ACE2 is the key receptor for SARS, the viral respiratory illness recognized as a global threat in 2003. His laboratory also went on to link the protein to both cardiovascular disease and lung failure.

While the COVID-19 outbreak continues to spread around the globe, the absence of a clinically proven antiviral therapy or a treatment specifically targeting the critical SARS-CoV-2 receptor ACE2 on a molecular level has meant an empty arsenal for health care providers struggling to treat severe cases of COVID-19.

“Our new study provides very much needed direct evidence that a drug — called APN01 (human recombinant soluble angiotensin-converting enzyme 2 – hrsACE2) — soon to be tested in clinical trials by the European biotech company Apeiron Biologics, is useful as an antiviral therapy for COVID-19,” says Dr. Art Slutsky, a scientist at the Keenan Research Centre for Biomedical Science of St. Michael’s Hospital and professor at the University of Toronto who is a collaborator on the study.

In cell cultures analyzed in the current study, hrsACE2 inhibited the coronavirus load by a factor of 1,000-5,000. In engineered replicas of human blood vessel and kidneys — organoids grown from human stem cells — the researchers demonstrated that the virus can directly infect and duplicate itself in these tissues. This provides important information on the development of the disease and the fact that severe cases of COVID-19 present with multi-organ failure and evidence of cardiovascular damage. Clinical grade hrsACE2 also reduced the SARS-CoV-2 infection in these engineered human tissues.

“Using organoids allows us to test in a very agile way treatments that are already being used for other diseases, or that are close to being validated. In these moments in which time is short, human organoids save the time that we would spend to test a new drug in the human setting,” says Núria Montserrat, ICREA professor at the Institute for Bioengineering of Catalonia in Spain.

“The virus causing COVID-19 is a close sibling to the first SARS virus,” adds Penninger. “Our previous work has helped to rapidly identify ACE2 as the entry gate for SARS-CoV-2, which explains a lot about the disease. Now we know that a soluble form of ACE2 that catches the virus away, could be indeed a very rational therapy that specifically targets the gate the virus must take to infect us. There is hope for this horrible pandemic.”

This research was supported in part by the Canadian federal government through emergency funding focused on accelerating the development, testing, and implementation of measures to deal with the COVID-19 outbreak.

• nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 8,280
    https://nypost.com/2020/04/05/trump-admin-weighs-legal-action-over-alleged-chinese-hoarding-of-ppe/

Two of my vendors told me this in January. One of them being Ace. They told me all the n95 masks were being held in China. At the time I though they were giving me some corporate, by the book response for not having stock. 
    nicknyr15 said:
    https://nypost.com/2020/04/05/trump-admin-weighs-legal-action-over-alleged-chinese-hoarding-of-ppe/

Two of my vendors told me this in January. One of them being Ace. They told me all the n95 masks were being held in China. At the time I though they were giving me some corporate, by the book response for not having stock. 
    And what about Trump taking N95 masks away from Canada? 
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 8,280
    Renfield said:
    nicknyr15 said:

What does that have to what I posted? I’m talking about China 
    nicknyr15 said:
    Renfield said:
    nicknyr15 said:

It has a lot to do with what you posted.
    I’m talking about the nerve of Trump thinking about suing China for hoarding PPE, but it’s ok for him to try to take away PPE designated for other counties. 
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Posts: 12,844
    nicknyr15 said:
    Renfield said:
    nicknyr15 said:

What do you mean, what does it have to do with it? The situations are almost identical. Trump is attempting to block the sales of masks outside of the country, just as China is alleged to have done. 

In criminal law, compare this to the levels that we have for murder,” said Jenna Ellis, a senior legal adviser to Trump’s re-election campaign.

“People are dying. When you have intentional, cold-blooded premeditated action like you have with China USA, this would be considered first-degree murder.

my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    edited April 2020
    I read a CBC article today saying the Whitehouse denies saying they are blocking M3 masks from Canada. The backpaddling sounded like he didn't want price gouging on the items.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/coronavirus-covid-19-1.5522437

3M, one of the country's largest producers of the medical-grade face masks known as N95 respirators, said in a statement Friday it had been told by the White House to stop exporting the equipment to markets in Canada and Latin America — a charge the White House has denied.

Late Friday, the White House issued a statement that suggested the purpose of its order was to target what it called "wartime profiteers" —"unscrupulous brokers, distributors and other intermediaries operating in secondary markets."

Such parties could include "some well-established PPE distributors with the ability to unscrupulously divert PPE inventories from domestic customers, such as hospitals and state governments, to foreign purchasers willing to pay significant premiums."

"Nothing in this order," the statement concludes, "will interfere with the ability of PPE manufacturers to export when doing so is consistent with United States policy and in the national interest of the United States."

Post edited by Spunkie on
  • Mike D88Mike D88 Posts: 723
    That's a meaningless statement.
    i-Brzk3Rdjpg
    2008 Tampa - 2013 Buffalo - 2016 Tampa - 2016 Fenway II
    Audioslave 2005 MSG
    Ya, maybe? Whitehouse denials sound like a statement though.  
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,614
    edited April 2020
    Csptain Crozier is positive.......

Acting Sec is a fucking chump. "believed he was panicking....."

Post edited by mickeyrat on
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,508
    Imcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:
    PJNB said:
    DewieCox said:
    Trump/sports commissioners conferfence call. Full arenas and baseball  by August, NFL start in September. Didn’t see it mentioned. Seems somewhat reasonable but I think stadium sized crowds could be too much. I like MLB’s idea of playing in empty stadiums in centralized location til we get a handle on how hard it will hit in the fall. 
    This isn't going to happen.  
    Until they get a vaccine in place no sane leadership will support this 
    Which means that Trump will leave it up to others to land in the correct spots on this.

Agree about no crowd activities.  They could happen.

You think sports with fans are done for 12-18 months? 
    I sure hope not but I think that until we know if this is going to come back in the fall, as some suspect, I don't think there is a way they open stadiums for leagues.  
    If it takes 12-18 I think we will have to do it without crowds.  
    Or, I could see people who recover being ok to be a part of crowds if they show immunity is carrying.
    Who knows ....damn this sucks.

Myself?

Im not going to any baseball games, concerts, sporting events in general, for a year. They could open up baseball in July or August, offer $1.00 tickets with a free beer and a hot dog, and there is no way in hell I am going. Same for a concert. Pearl Jam can offer FREE tickets, and I still wont go, until we are in 2021.

Just me.

Sporting events and concerts are one thing, but how about something like going to the gym that is a daily part of life for many; myself included.  I likely won’t feel comfortable going to a gym until there’s a vaccine.  That sucks and will likely force me to set something up at home. This virus will change the psyche of so many people on such a large scale. 
    Yeah as soon as things get back to normal we are going to cancel our gym membership.  Gonna get a mountain bike and a elliptical for the basement and we should be set.

Was talking to a buddy who's office building has 3000 and takes a commuter train with over 1000 twice a day. Let’s say those 5000 interact with just 10 others each day who all have their own interactions with other people. Without a treatment , I’m not sure how we move forward. Never thought I’d feel less safe than the months after 9/11, especially looking at the smoke billowing from downtown that day, but I do.
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,331

America is Committing Economic Suicide

The American Economy Is About to Die From Coronavirus — Because Nobody Saved It

The first reason the economy is dying is that the stimulus is inadequate because it’s simply far too little. We’re going to do a little math together — don’t get scared, it’s math any grade schooler can handle. How large is the US economy? It’s $20 trillion per year. Of that, about 99% of the number of firms are small businesses. How large is the portion of the stimulus outlined to support businesses, especially small ones? $500 billion. Are you seeing a problem here yet? You should. That’s about just 2.5% of the economy over a year, which means this.

The portion of the stimulus meant to support business is enough to keep the economy going for…just one week. (Sure, we can adjust those numbers up and down. If I assume the 80% of the economy is business, not 100%, the stimulus is enough to keep the economy going for…two weeks. You see the problem, perhaps.) Think about that for a second. Just one week of support, amidst the greatest crisis since the last World War. What the?

https://eand.co/america-is-committing-economic-suicide-c7c1f7122169
  • RideRickRideRick Posts: 703
    MayDay10 said:
    In 25 days, I havent been anywhere other than stopping into work briefly and buying food 
    25 days?  Inside since beginning of March?
    We are inside our own houses since 13 March here in the Netherlands.  Reasonable liberty as long as we as the people don't go en masse to parks and beaches or likeso.  Shops are still open.  You can go to homemarkets and supermarkets.  Etc.  Only small shops who can't create enough room.  Still..  it doesn't feel like the Corona is hitting us hard.  But i have to be carefull because i am a possible IC patient.

| Pinkpop 1992 *BEST EVER | Rotterdam 1993 | Amsterdam 1996 | Pinkpop 2000 | Arnhem 2006 | Nijmegen 2007 | Rotterdam 2009 | Nijmegen 2010 | Amsterdam I + II 2012 ** | Amsterdam Eddie Vedder Solo 2012 First European Concert *EPIC*| Amsterdam I + II 2014 | Amsterdam Eddie Vedder Solo 2016 night I  | Amsterdam I + II 2018 | Amsterdam I -> Canceled  +  II 2022 *EPIC
    PJNB said:

Myself?

Im not going to any baseball games, concerts, sporting events in general, for a year. They could open up baseball in July or August, offer $1.00 tickets with a free beer and a hot dog, and there is no way in hell I am going. Same for a concert. Pearl Jam can offer FREE tickets, and I still wont go, until we are in 2021.

Just me.

That’s where I fall no way am I stepping foot in a crowded event..

And what if you and the most of people you know are immune to the virus.  
    They need to test everyone as fast and widespread as possible.  Then and only then you know if you are immune or still open for infection.  The numbers say that a lot of people maybe already are immune but due to lack of testing nobody knows...
    | Pinkpop 1992 *BEST EVER | Rotterdam 1993 | Amsterdam 1996 | Pinkpop 2000 | Arnhem 2006 | Nijmegen 2007 | Rotterdam 2009 | Nijmegen 2010 | Amsterdam I + II 2012 ** | Amsterdam Eddie Vedder Solo 2012 First European Concert *EPIC*| Amsterdam I + II 2014 | Amsterdam Eddie Vedder Solo 2016 night I  | Amsterdam I + II 2018 | Amsterdam I -> Canceled  +  II 2022 *EPIC
    Renfield said:
    Cats already carried a corona virus long before this was known to man.  Not to worry.  It is not proven it can go back to human.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feline_coronavirus
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,569
    dignin said:

America is Committing Economic Suicide

The American Economy Is About to Die From Coronavirus — Because Nobody Saved It

The first reason the economy is dying is that the stimulus is inadequate because it’s simply far too little. We’re going to do a little math together — don’t get scared, it’s math any grade schooler can handle. How large is the US economy? It’s $20 trillion per year. Of that, about 99% of the number of firms are small businesses. How large is the portion of the stimulus outlined to support businesses, especially small ones? $500 billion. Are you seeing a problem here yet? You should. That’s about just 2.5% of the economy over a year, which means this.

The portion of the stimulus meant to support business is enough to keep the economy going for…just one week. (Sure, we can adjust those numbers up and down. If I assume the 80% of the economy is business, not 100%, the stimulus is enough to keep the economy going for…two weeks. You see the problem, perhaps.) Think about that for a second. Just one week of support, amidst the greatest crisis since the last World War. What the?

https://eand.co/america-is-committing-economic-suicide-c7c1f7122169

I often get even more out of these kinds of blogs by reading the responses.  Here's one I'll quote that states my reaction better than I could word it myself this late at night:

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,569
    RideRick said:
    MayDay10 said:
    In 25 days, I havent been anywhere other than stopping into work briefly and buying food 
    We are inside our own houses since 13 March here in the Netherlands.  Reasonable liberty as long as we as the people don't go en masse to parks and beaches or likeso.  Shops are still open.  You can go to homemarkets and supermarkets.  Etc.  Only small shops who can't create enough room.  Still..  it doesn't feel like the Corona is hitting us hard.  But i have to be carefull because i am a possible IC patient.

That's interesting, Rick.  Here in California it is much different.  If my wife's bookstore had isles wide enough to drive a bus through and had only 2 customers a day it would still not be allowed to open.  Only critical infrastructure and essential services are open. 

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

edited April 2020

On Monday, former state epidemiologist Johan Giesecke visited the Morning Studio. He believes that the next three weeks will be the most challenging for healthcare in Stockholm.
    - It will be worse for the healthcare, much worse. This week, next week and the third week. Then it will turn, Johan Giesecke.

Interviewer: But three weeks? This isn't something anyone else has said?

Giesecke: No.

Interviewer: ... why not?

Giesecke: Well, I looked a little bit at the numbers yesterday, and did some thinking.

T H E  K I N G
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    Sweden's state epidemiologist Anders Tegnell believes that the restrictions have helped to curb the spread of infection in countries, but he does not believe that this means that the spread is slowing down for good.

- This infection has surprised us time and time again. I think you should be careful about drawing such conclusions, he tells Dagens Nyheter.

Instead, he believes that the infections can take off - if countries begin to ease restrictions at too fast a rate.

- You can't drop everything at once, because it gets very brittle and can lead to a new peak. You have to find some way to slowly let go of the restrictions and I don't really know how to do it, he tells the newspaper.

When asked if the spread of infection will increase again when curfew is lifted, he answers DN:

- That's the big question, and most experts would probably say that yes, it will.
    brianlux said:
    RideRick said:

That's interesting, Rick.  Here in California it is much different.  If my wife's bookstore had isles wide enough to drive a bus through and had only 2 customers a day it would still not be allowed to open.  Only critical infrastructure and essential services are open. 

Most shops are closed because they cannot guarantee the safety for their co-workers in the shop..  Which is strange. Because shops who sell stuff for Gardens and Home improvement are still open.  And very busy because everybody is working in the garden or at home. Painting walls and stuff.  Big retailers for consumer electronics are also open.
    Online is also busy, waiting 2 days extra for delivering cloths or other stuff at home is still.

Intelligent Lockdown is what our Prime-Minister is calling it.
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,508
    brianlux said:
    RideRick said:
    MayDay10 said:

As I posted earlier, it’s city living that will be under economic attack more so than the places in between. If you work in a city you could come in contact with thousands each day and there is no way to control the spread under those conditions until a treatment is developed. And historically (not wanting to make a derisive MSFT comment!) but cities drive the US economy.

S Korea has been a top performing nation for weeks and they are still getting 50 new cases per day. My large employer shut our offices down when NY had only 200 cases, to put that in perspective, and at that time, we had no idea NY would become the epicenter.
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,252
    rgambs said:
    I will be putting together a little comparison on my state, Ohio, and Sweden at some point.
    We have roughly equivalent population sizes and are polar opposites on reaction to the pandemic, with Ohio being one of the very earliest to enact strict social distancing measures and Sweden being the very last.
    Should be interesting, I wish everyone well!
    And we both have had famous cases of the military gunning down our own citizens during demonstrations. 
    But did CSNY write a song about both?
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,666
    RideRick said:
    MayDay10 said:

March 11th I got spooked by the incoming storm and circled the wagons a bit.  Started working from home and pulled the kids out of school.  We got our 'official' stay at home orders the following week and implemented on March 22nd.
This discussion has been closed.