The coronavirus

Comments

• tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 40,002
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    brianlux said:
    rgambs said:
    Thank you, I was really starting to need a Giesecke update!
    No problems. He will lead us all through this!

Isn't he the guy who favors gatherings of 50 or more people?  Why is he so much more right than all the other scientists around the world who favor sheltering at home and social distancing?

Don't know what he has said regarding 50 or more people. But this is what he said when we had our first ban, of 500 people:

Johan Giesecke also criticizes the government's decision to ban public gatherings with more than 500 people.

- If you believe in that kind of measure, there should be fewer in each group.

How many then?

- 10-25, somewhere there.

and
    Sweden's decision to stop public gatherings of more than 500 people is "a half-measure" and its effectiveness can be called into question. This is stated by the infection protection expert and former state epidemiologist Johan Giesecke in SVT's Aktuellt.

- If you want to do that, I think you should have a little smaller groups, he says.

The statement came in comparison with how other countries have acted, where, among other things, Finland and Denmark set the limit for a maximum of ten people.

However, Giesecke emphasizes that there is no science on which number of constraints is best. Denmark previously had a limit of a maximum of 100 people, but it was changed to ten during Tuesday.

Unless they are children, of course.  If they are children then let them snot and spit and cough all over each other.  Because...science?

Riiiiigt.
    rgambs and also @mcgruff10

But Johan Giesecke, professor emeritus at the Karolinska Institute, adviser to the WHO and former state epidemiologist is not particularly worried about infection in preschool and school environments.
    - There are things pointing to children not being very contagious. There are no studies on this, that is hard to do. But WHO had a delegation in China a month ago, where they asked doctors and epidemiologists if they knew of cases where a child had infected an adult, none of them could recall such a case. On a scientific basis, that in itself is quite thin. But there has also been no outbreak in Chinese schools - and if children were heavily infected, they would have seen school outbreaks, says Johan Giesecke to the Teachers' Journal.

Doctors and nurses in several countries have been reported to be seriously ill, something DN, among others, has told us about. One thesis is that those exposed to large viral doses are at higher risk of serious illness. Teachers and preschool teachers also meet many sick children under normal circumstances.
    - In a normal classroom, with a child who is infected, there is no great danger. What is really dangerous is to intubate people, to stab a tube in the throat of those who need to be cared for in a respirator. A lot of virus particles are produced there. But in a larger room, the particles are diluted and do not go that far. I don't consider that being in close contact or in contact for a long time either. A close contact is to sit next to someone for several hours on an airplane, says Johan Giesecke.

How worried should one be as a teacher in preschool or school?
    - No need to worry. Most people who work in preschool and school are young and healthy people. For them it is not a huge risk, it is as good to get infected as you are rid of it (@rgambs). It is a completely different matter for the elderly, where it is important not to spread infection to the homes of the elderly. But spreading infection among children and young healthy adults is no danger, says Johan Giesecke.

Yeah, that is a profoundly idiotic statement that will be the discredit of his entire career.
    When this is all over and thousands or tens of thousands of children and young healthy adults are gone from the world, I hope he gets held to task and ostracized from the world's scientific community.
    I'm shocked that anyone would even listen to this?

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,053
    edited March 2020
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    brianlux said:
    rgambs said:

Isn't he the guy who favors gatherings of 50 or more people?  Why is he so much more right than all the other scientists around the world who favor sheltering at home and social distancing?

Don't know what he has said regarding 50 or more people. But this is what he said when we had our first ban, of 500 people:

Johan Giesecke also criticizes the government's decision to ban public gatherings with more than 500 people.

How many then?

and
    Sweden's decision to stop public gatherings of more than 500 people is "a half-measure" and its effectiveness can be called into question. This is stated by the infection protection expert and former state epidemiologist Johan Giesecke in SVT's Aktuellt.

- If you want to do that, I think you should have a little smaller groups, he says.

The statement came in comparison with how other countries have acted, where, among other things, Finland and Denmark set the limit for a maximum of ten people.

However, Giesecke emphasizes that there is no science on which number of constraints is best. Denmark previously had a limit of a maximum of 100 people, but it was changed to ten during Tuesday.

Unless they are children, of course.  If they are children then let them snot and spit and cough all over each other.  Because...science?

Riiiiigt.

But Johan Giesecke, professor emeritus at the Karolinska Institute, adviser to the WHO and former state epidemiologist is not particularly worried about infection in preschool and school environments.
    - There are things pointing to children not being very contagious. There are no studies on this, that is hard to do. But WHO had a delegation in China a month ago, where they asked doctors and epidemiologists if they knew of cases where a child had infected an adult, none of them could recall such a case. On a scientific basis, that in itself is quite thin. But there has also been no outbreak in Chinese schools - and if children were heavily infected, they would have seen school outbreaks, says Johan Giesecke to the Teachers' Journal.

Doctors and nurses in several countries have been reported to be seriously ill, something DN, among others, has told us about. One thesis is that those exposed to large viral doses are at higher risk of serious illness. Teachers and preschool teachers also meet many sick children under normal circumstances.
    - In a normal classroom, with a child who is infected, there is no great danger. What is really dangerous is to intubate people, to stab a tube in the throat of those who need to be cared for in a respirator. A lot of virus particles are produced there. But in a larger room, the particles are diluted and do not go that far. I don't consider that being in close contact or in contact for a long time either. A close contact is to sit next to someone for several hours on an airplane, says Johan Giesecke.

- No need to worry. Most people who work in preschool and school are young and healthy people. For them it is not a huge risk, it is as good to get infected as you are rid of it (@rgambs). It is a completely different matter for the elderly, where it is important not to spread infection to the homes of the elderly. But spreading infection among children and young healthy adults is no danger, says Johan Giesecke.

Yeah, that is a profoundly idiotic statement that will be the discredit of his entire career.
    When this is all over and thousands or tens of thousands of children and young healthy adults are gone from the world, I hope he gets held to task and ostracized from the world's scientific community.
    So how many lethal school outbreaks have there been in China according to you? How many are happening in Sweden right now?

YOU COME
    FOR THE KING
    YOU 
    BETTER
    NOT MISS 

Am I right
    F Me In The Brain 
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • i am on a conference call with leading orthopaedic surgeons across the world. they are sharing their experiences now. there is one from italy, south korea, argentina, and a few from the us. the guy from italy said that they stopped all elective surgeries on 3/1/2020 and they were not able to get a handle on it even after stopping that early. he said that he has lost 4 people close to him, including a 56 year old colleague. he said that it is a "horrible, horrible death" and reinforced the fact that this is very serious and that americans should continue to distance and take it seriously. scary stuff. i was in a 9 hour surgery yesterday and have to cover cases on wed and thursday. i am really getting concerned.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,380
    edited March 2020
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    brianlux said:
    rgambs said:

How many then?

and

Riiiiigt.

So how many lethal school outbreaks have there been in China according to you? How many are happening in Sweden right now?

YOU COME
    FOR THE KING
    YOU 
    BETTER
    NOT MISS 

Am I right
    F Me In The Brain 
    It is such a new virus, why not err on the side of caution? 

Post edited by mcgruff10 on
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    brianlux said:
    rgambs said:

How many then?

and

Riiiiigt.

YOU COME
    FOR THE KING
    YOU 
    BETTER
    NOT MISS 

Am I right
    F Me In The Brain 
    How many healthy adults and elderly people have been infected by community spread through school-aged children?  We will never know.  Children are known to be carriers and less likely to know so, due to a lower incidence of severe symptoms.  You've got your Johan Giesecke, and then there's almost literally every other expert in the world...you're like a climate change denier swimming against the tide stuttering about the Sun and outlier results.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • the doctor from south korea just said on this call that they are implementing social distancing as their new normal going forward. wow.

the doctor from south korea just said on this call that they are implementing social distancing as their new normal going forward. wow.
    Wow!  It really is Demolition Man type shit about to happen!
  • the doctor from south korea just said on this call that they are implementing social distancing as their new normal going forward. wow.
    He doesn't know how to use the three seashells...
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    the doctor from south korea just said on this call that they are implementing social distancing as their new normal going forward. wow.
    We'd all better learn considering the TP shortage.
  • Ray J. T.Ray J. T. Posts: 4,022
    edited March 2020
    Demolition Man Three Seashells GIF  Gfycat

demolition man  Tumblr
    Post edited by Ray J. T. on
  • Ray J. T.Ray J. T. Posts: 4,022
    Demolition Man GIFs  Tenor
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,252
    Not a greatly reliable source I know, but I saw an episode of The People’s Court with something similar. A lady bought a concert ticket from someone who received it as a gift (not the original buyer). When the she got canceled the TM was only giving refunds to the original purchaser. So she asked for her money back from the lady she bought it from. She said no, too bad. The judge sided with the seller, saying only refund guarantees apply to the original purchaser and that’s the chance you take buying second hand tickets.
    I don’t agree, but wouldn’t be surprised if it’s legally true and since stubhub is essentially a broker for private sales they may get away with it.
    i am on a conference call with leading orthopaedic surgeons across the world. they are sharing their experiences now. there is one from italy, south korea, argentina, and a few from the us. the guy from italy said that they stopped all elective surgeries on 3/1/2020 and they were not able to get a handle on it even after stopping that early. he said that he has lost 4 people close to him, including a 56 year old colleague. he said that it is a "horrible, horrible death" and reinforced the fact that this is very serious and that americans should continue to distance and take it seriously. scary stuff. i was in a 9 hour surgery yesterday and have to cover cases on wed and thursday. i am really getting concerned.
    Are you still in orthopedics?  The sheer volume of PPE used and wasted would shock...pretty much anyone who doesn't work orthopedics, really.  Even in a hospital setting, most people don't understand that volume unless they've seen it.
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,053

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    edited March 2020
    mfc2006 said:
    The My Pillow guy is addressing the press in the rose garden. WTF? 
    Par for the course, I'm afraid.
    Why are people upset over this? He’s making medical equipment instead of pillows , isn’t that what we need? I don’t get why people make fun of him for this. 
    The other funny thing when I googled My Pillow I scrolled through the top 10 results. Only the conservative news outlets mentioned him making medical equipment and the Liberal ones focused on him getting a free informercial. I really don’t get it, we are in need of equipment so we put someone down whos willing to make it?

If I was a conservative CEO I’d think twice about helping out seeing how Mike was thrown under the bus for doing that. 
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • PapPap Posts: 28,728
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024
    mace1229 said:
    mfc2006 said:
    Why are people upset over this? He’s making medical equipment instead of pillows , isn’t that what we need? I don’t get why people make fun of him for this. 
    The other funny thing when I googled My Pillow I scrolled through the top 10 results. Only the conservative news outlets mentioned him making medical equipment and the Liberal ones focused on him getting a free informercial. I really don’t get it, we are in need of equipment so we put someone down whos willing to make it?

If I was a conservative CEO I’d think twice about helping out seeing how Mike was thrown under the bus for doing that. 
    People are still choosing sides.

I for one am tired of it.  Hearing conservatives praising the government for doing what they are supposed to do and progressives slamming the government for not doing this or that.

There isn't time for that.  Wanting to see one side fail is not what we need right now.

Just give me TP please.
  • CM189191CM189191 Posts: 6,927
    mace1229 said:
    mfc2006 said:

This is easy:

How many companies in the United States make pillows?

How many pillow making companies got an infomercial next to the president the other day?

Bought and paid for.
    mace1229 said:
    mfc2006 said:

It's just that the guy is super chummy with Rush and Hannity and some real nutballs.  It's easy to look at it from the other side too, tons of not-uberconservative companies are doing the same and they aren't getting to red carpet treatment like this guy did.
  • Also, the idiot in charge keeps throwing gas on the fire by doing everything except show good leadership.  I'm rooting for the damn fool.  Act like a leader, please, and I will be happy to give you the credit you seek.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,424
    mace1229 said:
    mfc2006 said:

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,666
    My daily positivity boost

Italy's new cases yesterday were the least since St. Patrick's day.  They have been trending down on new cases for 5 days.  It could be an indication that they are entering the back-side of that sharp curve and could get a handle on things before too long.

Fauci says that data is indicating that social distancing is working in the USA.  We are going to see some tough days through April and will get a bit hairy.  But it will be 'better' than it could have been.  If things progress we could get a handle on this by May.  With a coherent and extensive testing/tracking/containment program, I could see various segments of business opening up in sections of the country in June (which is what Trump may have been alluding to with his June 1st date).  

And we are another day closer to an approved vaccine.

So hang in there everyone.  Stay safe.  Try not to focus on the negative and feed into your anxiety.  
    rgambs said:
    mace1229 said:
    mfc2006 said:

It's just that the guy is super chummy with Rush and Hannity and some real nutballs.  It's easy to look at it from the other side too, tons of not-uberconservative companies are doing the same and they aren't getting to red carpet treatment like this guy did.

....it's almost as if there was a favor or advantage expected in return for something.....
    but wait, there's more!
    besides settling the above-mentioned lawsuit for claiming pillows cure insomnia, sleep apnea, fibromyalgia, and multiple sclerosis

MyPillow class action lawsuit challenged the appropriateness of the marketing, packaging and sale of MyPillow products, including health claims about the product, BOGO promotions, and the use of third party endorsements and logos.

https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-settlements/closed-settlements/827101-mypillow-bogo-class-action-settlement/

Also, he's a former crack-head
    https://www.cnbc.com/2017/09/20/how-mypillow-founder-went-from-crack-addict-to-self-made-millionaire.html

it's well known here in MN this guy is POS
    rgambs said:
    mace1229 said:
    mfc2006 said:

Ok fine, call him out in a few months. I just don’t see any reason to cry out how horrible our conditions in hospitals are, then call someone names/gold digger/ looking for favors for helping out the situation so quickly. I didn’t know he was so close with those guys, but I don’t see that making a difference in the current situation.
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,945
    Also, the idiot in charge keeps throwing gas on the fire by doing everything except show good leadership.  I'm rooting for the damn fool.  Act like a leader, please, and I will be happy to give you the credit you seek.
    He is incapable.  I am with you.  I'd much rather see him act like a leader and I'd gladly give credit where it's due.  Sadly, we have a large enough sample size to know that it is not going to happen though. 
  • you know that dude fucks those pillows, right??

• i hear the designer and manufacturer of the Trumpy Bear is speaking at the next one.

• bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,945
    MayDay10 said:
    My daily positivity boost

Italy's new cases yesterday were the least since St. Patrick's day.  They have been trending down on new cases for 5 days.  It could be an indication that they are entering the back-side of that sharp curve and could get a handle on things before too long.

Fauci says that data is indicating that social distancing is working in the USA.  We are going to see some tough days through April and will get a bit hairy.  But it will be 'better' than it could have been.  If things progress we could get a handle on this by May.  With a coherent and extensive testing/tracking/containment program, I could see various segments of business opening up in sections of the country in June (which is what Trump may have been alluding to with his June 1st date).  

And we are another day closer to an approved vaccine.

So hang in there everyone.  Stay safe.  Try not to focus on the negative and feed into your anxiety.  

Thanks for the positivity piece.  Always nice to see little glimmers of hope.
This discussion has been closed.