CM189191 said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    brianlux said:
    rgambs said:
    Thank you, I was really starting to need a Giesecke update!
    No problems. He will lead us all through this!

Isn't he the guy who favors gatherings of 50 or more people?  Why is he so much more right than all the other scientists around the world who favor sheltering at home and social distancing?

Don't know what he has said regarding 50 or more people. But this is what he said when we had our first ban, of 500 people:

Johan Giesecke also criticizes the government's decision to ban public gatherings with more than 500 people.

- If you believe in that kind of measure, there should be fewer in each group.

How many then?

- 10-25, somewhere there.

and
    Sweden's decision to stop public gatherings of more than 500 people is "a half-measure" and its effectiveness can be called into question. This is stated by the infection protection expert and former state epidemiologist Johan Giesecke in SVT's Aktuellt.

- If you want to do that, I think you should have a little smaller groups, he says.

The statement came in comparison with how other countries have acted, where, among other things, Finland and Denmark set the limit for a maximum of ten people.

However, Giesecke emphasizes that there is no science on which number of constraints is best. Denmark previously had a limit of a maximum of 100 people, but it was changed to ten during Tuesday.

Unless they are children, of course.  If they are children then let them snot and spit and cough all over each other.  Because...science?

Riiiiigt.
    rgambs and also @mcgruff10

But Johan Giesecke, professor emeritus at the Karolinska Institute, adviser to the WHO and former state epidemiologist is not particularly worried about infection in preschool and school environments.
    - There are things pointing to children not being very contagious. There are no studies on this, that is hard to do. But WHO had a delegation in China a month ago, where they asked doctors and epidemiologists if they knew of cases where a child had infected an adult, none of them could recall such a case. On a scientific basis, that in itself is quite thin. But there has also been no outbreak in Chinese schools - and if children were heavily infected, they would have seen school outbreaks, says Johan Giesecke to the Teachers' Journal.

Doctors and nurses in several countries have been reported to be seriously ill, something DN, among others, has told us about. One thesis is that those exposed to large viral doses are at higher risk of serious illness. Teachers and preschool teachers also meet many sick children under normal circumstances.
    - In a normal classroom, with a child who is infected, there is no great danger. What is really dangerous is to intubate people, to stab a tube in the throat of those who need to be cared for in a respirator. A lot of virus particles are produced there. But in a larger room, the particles are diluted and do not go that far. I don't consider that being in close contact or in contact for a long time either. A close contact is to sit next to someone for several hours on an airplane, says Johan Giesecke.

How worried should one be as a teacher in preschool or school?
    - No need to worry. Most people who work in preschool and school are young and healthy people. For them it is not a huge risk, it is as good to get infected as you are rid of it (@rgambs). It is a completely different matter for the elderly, where it is important not to spread infection to the homes of the elderly. But spreading infection among children and young healthy adults is no danger, says Johan Giesecke.

Yeah, that is a profoundly idiotic statement that will be the discredit of his entire career.
    When this is all over and thousands or tens of thousands of children and young healthy adults are gone from the world, I hope he gets held to task and ostracized from the world's scientific community.
    So how many lethal school outbreaks have there been in China according to you? How many are happening in Sweden right now?

YOU COME
    FOR THE KING
    YOU 
    BETTER
    NOT MISS 

Am I right
    F Me In The Brain 
    How many healthy adults and elderly people have been infected by community spread through school-aged children?  We will never know.  Children are known to be carriers and less likely to know so, due to a lower incidence of severe symptoms.  You've got your Johan Giesecke, and then there's almost literally every other expert in the world...you're like a climate change denier swimming against the tide stuttering about the Sun and outlier results.
    Haven't seen him urging the elders to hang around kids. But please point me to a source, and I might reconsider Johan M.

"Prime Minister Stefan Löfven, has urged Swedes to behave “as adults” and not to spread “panic or rumours”.

Panic, though, is exactly what many within Sweden’s scientific and medical community are starting to feel. A petition signed by more than 2,000 doctors, scientists, and professors last week – including the chairman of the Nobel Foundation, Prof Carl-Henrik Heldin – called on the government to introduce more stringent containment measures. “We’re not testing enough, we’re not tracking, we’re not isolating enough – we have let the virus loose,” said Prof Cecilia Söderberg-Nauclér, a virus immunology researcher at the Karolinska Institute. “They are leading us to catastrophe.”"

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/30/catastrophe-sweden-coronavirus-stoicism-lockdown-europe

That quote doesn't answer my question.
    You didn't ask a question.  Now you will, and I'm guessing it will move the goalposts.
    Careful.

If you give a reasoned response, and back it up with facts; he'll call you a tough guy and say you have a bad attitude too.
    No one in here would argue you do not have one. I would imagine. You just went into it again. To no ones surprise. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,053
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    brianlux said:
    rgambs said:

Isn't he the guy who favors gatherings of 50 or more people?  Why is he so much more right than all the other scientists around the world who favor sheltering at home and social distancing?

Don't know what he has said regarding 50 or more people. But this is what he said when we had our first ban, of 500 people:

Johan Giesecke also criticizes the government's decision to ban public gatherings with more than 500 people.

How many then?

and
    Sweden's decision to stop public gatherings of more than 500 people is "a half-measure" and its effectiveness can be called into question. This is stated by the infection protection expert and former state epidemiologist Johan Giesecke in SVT's Aktuellt.

- If you want to do that, I think you should have a little smaller groups, he says.

The statement came in comparison with how other countries have acted, where, among other things, Finland and Denmark set the limit for a maximum of ten people.

However, Giesecke emphasizes that there is no science on which number of constraints is best. Denmark previously had a limit of a maximum of 100 people, but it was changed to ten during Tuesday.

Unless they are children, of course.  If they are children then let them snot and spit and cough all over each other.  Because...science?

Riiiiigt.

But Johan Giesecke, professor emeritus at the Karolinska Institute, adviser to the WHO and former state epidemiologist is not particularly worried about infection in preschool and school environments.
    - There are things pointing to children not being very contagious. There are no studies on this, that is hard to do. But WHO had a delegation in China a month ago, where they asked doctors and epidemiologists if they knew of cases where a child had infected an adult, none of them could recall such a case. On a scientific basis, that in itself is quite thin. But there has also been no outbreak in Chinese schools - and if children were heavily infected, they would have seen school outbreaks, says Johan Giesecke to the Teachers' Journal.

Doctors and nurses in several countries have been reported to be seriously ill, something DN, among others, has told us about. One thesis is that those exposed to large viral doses are at higher risk of serious illness. Teachers and preschool teachers also meet many sick children under normal circumstances.
    - In a normal classroom, with a child who is infected, there is no great danger. What is really dangerous is to intubate people, to stab a tube in the throat of those who need to be cared for in a respirator. A lot of virus particles are produced there. But in a larger room, the particles are diluted and do not go that far. I don't consider that being in close contact or in contact for a long time either. A close contact is to sit next to someone for several hours on an airplane, says Johan Giesecke.

- No need to worry. Most people who work in preschool and school are young and healthy people. For them it is not a huge risk, it is as good to get infected as you are rid of it (@rgambs). It is a completely different matter for the elderly, where it is important not to spread infection to the homes of the elderly. But spreading infection among children and young healthy adults is no danger, says Johan Giesecke.

Yeah, that is a profoundly idiotic statement that will be the discredit of his entire career.
    When this is all over and thousands or tens of thousands of children and young healthy adults are gone from the world, I hope he gets held to task and ostracized from the world's scientific community.
    So how many lethal school outbreaks have there been in China according to you? How many are happening in Sweden right now?

YOU COME
    FOR THE KING
    YOU 
    BETTER
    NOT MISS 

Am I right
    F Me In The Brain 
    How many healthy adults and elderly people have been infected by community spread through school-aged children?  We will never know.  Children are known to be carriers and less likely to know so, due to a lower incidence of severe symptoms.  You've got your Johan Giesecke, and then there's almost literally every other expert in the world...you're like a climate change denier swimming against the tide stuttering about the Sun and outlier results.
    Haven't seen him urging the elders to hang around kids. But please point me to a source, and I might reconsider Johan M.

"Prime Minister Stefan Löfven, has urged Swedes to behave “as adults” and not to spread “panic or rumours”.

Panic, though, is exactly what many within Sweden’s scientific and medical community are starting to feel. A petition signed by more than 2,000 doctors, scientists, and professors last week – including the chairman of the Nobel Foundation, Prof Carl-Henrik Heldin – called on the government to introduce more stringent containment measures. “We’re not testing enough, we’re not tracking, we’re not isolating enough – we have let the virus loose,” said Prof Cecilia Söderberg-Nauclér, a virus immunology researcher at the Karolinska Institute. “They are leading us to catastrophe.”"

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/30/catastrophe-sweden-coronavirus-stoicism-lockdown-europe

You didn't ask a question.  Now you will, and I'm guessing it will move the goalposts.
    Sorry, I forgot the questionmark: 

Haven't seen him urging the elders to hang around kids. But please point me to a source, and I might reconsider Johan M?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    I trust this guy with my life.

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    rgambs said:I 
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    brianlux said:
    rgambs said:

How many then?

and

Riiiiigt.

YOU COME
    FOR THE KING
    YOU 
    BETTER
    NOT MISS 

Am I right
    F Me In The Brain 

Haven't seen him urging the elders to hang around kids. But please point me to a source, and I might reconsider Johan M?
    I know English is your second language so I mean no offense when I tell you that is still not a question lol
    Even if it was, I provided a quote which cites 2000 sources which should make you reconsider.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    edited March 2020
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:I 
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    brianlux said:
    rgambs said:

How many then?

and

Riiiiigt.

YOU COME
    FOR THE KING
    YOU 
    BETTER
    NOT MISS 

Am I right
    F Me In The Brain 

I know English is your second language so I mean no offense when I tell you that is still not a question lol
    Even if it was, I provided a quote which cites 2000 sources which should make you reconsider.
    Keep moving the  *looking back in the thread* goalposts. 

But when do you see this superlockdown will be over then? If the vaccin comes in 18 months, which would be a record? When will kids in your country, where english is a first langauge, be back in school?
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    No one is talking about turkey, but they seem to be in trouble too from this graph (?)

• MalrothMalroth Posts: 2,512
    I live in a county in Indiana with 5 documented cases.
    I work in a business that delivers into peoples houses and people bring stuff into the store.
    I am a 46 yr old male with asthma.
    Should I take some time off work?
    My boss is an 82 yr old women who still comes to work.
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,124
    Malroth said:
    I work in a business that delivers into peoples houses and people bring stuff into the store.
    Stay safe take every precaution you can! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,124
    JW269453 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Ok so no one is to blame cool so the same can be said of no one takes responsibility correct? And who do you think will take credit when this is over? 
    Blah blah blah. I never said trump didn’t drop the ball holy shit. Cool down dude. Not everything is a personal political attack. I’m just saying both sides acted irresponsibly. That’s a fact. Hopefully we’ll all be better prepared for the next one. 
    lol both sides please tell me the sides or teams you speak of? Who will take responsibility for saving the world I’m asking a question..
    I wasn’t defending trump. I’m just showing how completely unprepared everyone was and how neither side took this seriously until it was too late. And of course he’ll claim he saved the world. We’re in the middle of it and all he does is talking about the terrific job he’s doing. It’s old news. His actions don’t shock or surprise me anymore. 

Here is my take.  Most of the Western World did not do a good job with this.  But....There is only one US President right now. There is only one WHite House Administration right now.  There is only one Republican controlled Senate. 

It is the President's job to lead, and then people follow.  The governors were left to fend for themselves and took the lead from the WHite House that this wasn't a big deal and was an impeachment hoax.  The different government organizations take the lead from the administration.   You can say everyone was unprepared, but there was information out there in Dec/Jan and the leader/party that is in power and asked for votes so they could be in power and in-charge failed to act soon enough.   If someone that works for me fails to start a project and the client gets mad, they are calling me because  it is my fault and failure to lead. 

Sure, we were unprepared before Trump took office.  But there were two months practically that the US failed to lead and take action. 

Not trying to poke the bear, but in all fairness the only thing the Democrats were focused on was the ongoing impeachment when the initial news broke. Not saying this is their fault, just stating that they had their minds elsewhere as well. I do agree with many of your points.

***This is not an endorsement for trump***
    Yep the buck stops with the commander in chief!he has failed miserably people are dying because of his incompetence period..

jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,557
    Malroth said:

If you can afford to, you might strongly consider the time off.  If not, I would do the distancing of 6 feet or more with everyone, wash hands often, and use 65% or greater alcohol wipes or Clorox wipes on everything that might  you and the boss come in contact with- things like supplies, door handles, counters, touch screens etc.  In any case, stay well and stay safe, Malroth!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• LongueuilLongueuil Posts: 2,224
    Malroth said:
    You should stay home.

• Is what you do essential?
    (For real?)

The other question, I'm sure, is if you can get by without the money....

Tough times.  Sorry that this is something you have to consider, Malroth 
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,666
    Italy apparently had as many new cases as yesterday, which was a 2-week low.  
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,508
    JW269453 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Ok so no one is to blame cool so the same can be said of no one takes responsibility correct? And who do you think will take credit when this is over? 
    Blah blah blah. I never said trump didn’t drop the ball holy shit. Cool down dude. Not everything is a personal political attack. I’m just saying both sides acted irresponsibly. That’s a fact. Hopefully we’ll all be better prepared for the next one. 
    lol both sides please tell me the sides or teams you speak of? Who will take responsibility for saving the world I’m asking a question..
    I wasn’t defending trump. I’m just showing how completely unprepared everyone was and how neither side took this seriously until it was too late. And of course he’ll claim he saved the world. We’re in the middle of it and all he does is talking about the terrific job he’s doing. It’s old news. His actions don’t shock or surprise me anymore. 

Here is my take.  Most of the Western World did not do a good job with this.  But....There is only one US President right now. There is only one WHite House Administration right now.  There is only one Republican controlled Senate. 

It is the President's job to lead, and then people follow.  The governors were left to fend for themselves and took the lead from the WHite House that this wasn't a big deal and was an impeachment hoax.  The different government organizations take the lead from the administration.   You can say everyone was unprepared, but there was information out there in Dec/Jan and the leader/party that is in power and asked for votes so they could be in power and in-charge failed to act soon enough.   If someone that works for me fails to start a project and the client gets mad, they are calling me because  it is my fault and failure to lead. 

Sure, we were unprepared before Trump took office.  But there were two months practically that the US failed to lead and take action. 

Not trying to poke the bear, but in all fairness the only thing the Democrats were focused on was the ongoing impeachment when the initial news broke. Not saying this is their fault, just stating that they had their minds elsewhere as well. I do agree with many of your points.

***This is not an endorsement for trump***

It sorta is. This was on March 9th. March 9.

See new Tweets

Tweet

So last year 37,000 Americans died from the common Flu. It averages between 27,000 and 70,000 per year. Nothing is shut down, life & the economy go on. At this moment there are 546 confirmed cases of CoronaVirus, with 22 deaths. Think about that!

Your recollection is vastly inaccurate. Think about that.
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 38,169
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • CM189191CM189191 Posts: 6,927
    CM189191 said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    brianlux said:
    rgambs said:

How many then?

and

Riiiiigt.

YOU COME
    FOR THE KING
    YOU 
    BETTER
    NOT MISS 

Am I right
    F Me In The Brain 

Careful.

If you give a reasoned response, and back it up with facts; he'll call you a tough guy and say you have a bad attitude too.
    No one in here would argue you do not have one. I would imagine. You just went into it again. To no ones surprise. 
    You'll get over it
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165
    I'm back after a week long ban.

I am glad to know I am not the only "racist" person critical of China.

https://9now.nine.com.au/60-minutes/china-cover-up-coronavirus-12-missing-days-wuhan-60-minutes/d8426648-f9b3-4439-9089-b733b8e4a6c5?fbclid=IwAR1PejUmLJsA59I2ozyqF9sX4FXpCZHUxQjmGOxXtDzGLs39wq43dCz6FGc

I do not watch this Sky channel as I hate Rupert Murdoch and his press and I think this guy is a tool but I agree with him here...

https://www.facebook.com/SkyNewsAustralia/videos/1084108735286082/

The world must never forget this act by China.
    I hope after this crisis is over that Australia, the USA, and other countries stop relying on China and take back manufacturing.
    Time to stop this over-reliance on China as they keep getting away with a lot of bad things.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • The hairdresser was wrong, then?
    Even fellow students in my cohort and other people I know believe this was deliberate by China.
    So I am not alone in my thoughts. But anyways I will not go down that path further as I don't want to upset people here.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    The hairdresser was wrong, then?
    Maybe I should start a thread titled "things my dad's hairdresser thinks"?
  • You walk right back in and piss around about China.
    Nothing has changed.  
    You walk right back in and piss around about China.
    Nothing has changed.  
    Why are you so sensitive about China?
    Do you live there? Are you of Chinese background?
    Did you read what I shared in that article and did you watch that video?
    Why are you not allowing me to be critical of China? Why are you criticising me for criticising China?
    So you have no issue with their secrecy which led to thousands of innocent people dying around the world?
    Why did they not alert the WHO and other countries and stop flights leaving Wuhan when they first knew of this new virus? Doing so would have prevented this outbreak. 
    I don't understand you and others here.

Btw, I feel sorry for the Chinese people, for the thousands that died during the Tiananmen Square massacre, those that fought for democracy from their evil totalitarian regime. Please do not conflate my criticism of China as being against the Chinese people as an ethnic group.
    When I say China I mean the CCP. For clarity's sake, henceforth I shall use the term 'CCP'.
    It's like me being critical of Australia or America, I am referring to the governments not the people.
  • Because it is just another bs line by you...at first it was the US that was responsible.
    People are dying by the thousands and I don't think there is much to be gained your sensationalist garbage.  
    69 people died in the state that I live in, just today.

You know it pisses some of us off, you said so above, but the first action back is to lob that in.

And now it is people you know or people who ignore you at your University who are validating your garbage.
    Bravo.
  • CM189191CM189191 Posts: 6,927
    Nothing has changed.  
    Why are you not allowing me to be critical of China? Why are you criticising me for criticising China?
    So you have no issue with their secrecy which led to thousands of innocent people dying around the world?
    Why did they not alert the WHO and other countries and stop flights leaving Wuhan when they first knew of this new virus? Doing so would have prevented this outbreak. 

How would isolationism and protectionism solve this?  They are both failed foreign policy.  Good luck putting that genie back in the bottle.  We live in an internationally integrated economy. Do better.
    Because it is just another bs line by you...at first it was the US that was responsible.
    People are dying by the thousands and I don't think there is much to be gained your sensationalist garbage.  
    69 people died in the state that I live in, just today.

You know it pisses some of us off, you said so above, but the first action back is to lob that in.

And now it is people you know or people who ignore you at your University who are validating your garbage.
    Bravo.
    I never said the US was responsible nor do I believe that.
    Yes, people are dying and I am mad at China as they could have prevented this by not being secretive. 
    CM189191 said:
    Nothing has changed.  

How would isolationism and protectionism solve this?  They are both failed foreign policy.  Good luck putting that genie back in the bottle.  We live in an internationally integrated economy. Do better.
    China should be treated the same way North Korea is treated by the foreign community. Shunned.
    I'd be more than glad to buy Australian made clothes and appliances. Even if I have to pay more.
    This is the world's fault for being greedy (in wanting cheap labour).
  • Whatever.  I should know better than to waste a minute's thought on your drivel.
    Back to reality....
This discussion has been closed.