The coronavirus

Comments

• rgambs said:
    i am on a conference call with leading orthopaedic surgeons across the world. they are sharing their experiences now. there is one from italy, south korea, argentina, and a few from the us. the guy from italy said that they stopped all elective surgeries on 3/1/2020 and they were not able to get a handle on it even after stopping that early. he said that he has lost 4 people close to him, including a 56 year old colleague. he said that it is a "horrible, horrible death" and reinforced the fact that this is very serious and that americans should continue to distance and take it seriously. scary stuff. i was in a 9 hour surgery yesterday and have to cover cases on wed and thursday. i am really getting concerned.
    Are you still in orthopedics?  The sheer volume of PPE used and wasted would shock...pretty much anyone who doesn't work orthopedics, really.  Even in a hospital setting, most people don't understand that volume unless they've seen it.
    i would not call it all wasted.

there is a ton of blood splatter and fluid splatter in orthopedics. you knock one of the plastic bags that captures the used arthroscopy fluid on your legs, you are gonna change gowns. soiled gloves, i mean seriously soiled gloves with dry blood need to be changed because you can't grip the equipment with dried blood caked on to your gloves. You get someone bleeding without a tourniquet and you get blood on your mask, you need to change it. i used to scrub before i went into sales. a lot of it looks like waste, and a lot of disposable things like anchors fail and get wasted. I used to change masks after every case. when you scrub you can get blood drops on your bouffant, glasses, and masks. we used to call that "getting blessed", and it is damn nasty. The masks get moist inside when you wear them for a few hours and it is a gross feeling, so we used to change them frequently. now that there is a shortage, some facilities are telling staff to use the same mask for an entire week. that is just naaasty.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,405
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,424
    the doctor from south korea just said on this call that they are implementing social distancing as their new normal going forward. wow.
    Wild, don’t see that happening here and don’t really think that’s an acceptable way forward. 
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,053
    edited March 2020
    Here is one of those well known people who's gotten it:

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    rgambs said:
    i am on a conference call with leading orthopaedic surgeons across the world. they are sharing their experiences now. there is one from italy, south korea, argentina, and a few from the us. the guy from italy said that they stopped all elective surgeries on 3/1/2020 and they were not able to get a handle on it even after stopping that early. he said that he has lost 4 people close to him, including a 56 year old colleague. he said that it is a "horrible, horrible death" and reinforced the fact that this is very serious and that americans should continue to distance and take it seriously. scary stuff. i was in a 9 hour surgery yesterday and have to cover cases on wed and thursday. i am really getting concerned.
    Are you still in orthopedics?  The sheer volume of PPE used and wasted would shock...pretty much anyone who doesn't work orthopedics, really.  Even in a hospital setting, most people don't understand that volume unless they've seen it.

there is a ton of blood splatter and fluid splatter in orthopedics. you knock one of the plastic bags that captures the used arthroscopy fluid on your legs, you are gonna change gowns. soiled gloves, i mean seriously soiled gloves with dry blood need to be changed because you can't grip the equipment with dried blood caked on to your gloves. You get someone bleeding without a tourniquet and you get blood on your mask, you need to change it. i used to scrub before i went into sales. a lot of it looks like waste, and a lot of disposable things like anchors fail and get wasted. I used to change masks after every case. when you scrub you can get blood drops on your bouffant, glasses, and masks. we used to call that "getting blessed", and it is damn nasty. The masks get moist inside when you wear them for a few hours and it is a gross feeling, so we used to change them frequently. now that there is a shortage, some facilities are telling staff to use the same mask for an entire week. that is just naaasty.
    Yeah I didn't mean any of that for waste, I was mostly talking about the presets that come up from the SPD.  They can't tailor every set to each individual doctor, but each does things differently.  So you end up with a ton of single use equipment that doesn't get used because it isn't preferred by the doc.

Then otherwise, just the sheer volume in joint replacements is staggering.  I would personally wear 8-10 masks, 4-6 pairs of booties/boot covers, 2-4 hats, 6-10 pairs nitrile gloves, and upwards of 15 pairs of sterile gloves in a day of joint replacements.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,380

Oh man my wife and I are bummed, we watch him every night on CNN.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,380
    Make it stop!

The number of coronavirus deaths in New Jersey surged to 267 on Tuesday with the largest single-day increase in deaths as the outbreak continues to widen with 18,696 total coronavirus cases statewide.

Gov. Phil Murphy said there were 69 new deaths including a Passaic County firefighter.

I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,053
    mcgruff10 said:

Oh man my wife and I are bummed, we watch him every night on CNN.  
    Mild symptons. Will work from home. So seems to be fine.

His brother Andrew talks about it here at 46 min "He's strong... not as strong as he thinks"

https://youtu.be/uIhRM9pnH40
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

Yeah I didn't mean any of that for waste, I was mostly talking about the presets that come up from the SPD.  They can't tailor every set to each individual doctor, but each does things differently.  So you end up with a ton of single use equipment that doesn't get used because it isn't preferred by the doc.

Then otherwise, just the sheer volume in joint replacements is staggering.  I would personally wear 8-10 masks, 4-6 pairs of booties/boot covers, 2-4 hats, 6-10 pairs nitrile gloves, and upwards of 15 pairs of sterile gloves in a day of joint replacements.
    i didn't know you used to scrub, so you understand everything i said in my prior post. sorry to explain all that you already knew, haha.

oh yeah, the load on SPD with ortho is staggering. i shit you not, they had 40 trays open for this big case we did yesterday. only 4 of them were mine, but they wanted to have everything there because they were not sure what they were going to be able to fix, what they could salvage, or what they were going to end up doing in the end. they would pop trays to get a single item out of them. i felt so bad for the scrub who had to tray to manage 3 double decker tables. but having to reprocess all of that from a single case is staggering. granted, it was a case that went 8.5 hours, but still as you said you can't have specific trays for everyone. especially when your surgical plan changes in the middle of the case. imagine being the person in decontam and all of that stuff comes rolling in. that would suck.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 40,002
    mcgruff10 said:
    Make it stop!

The number of coronavirus deaths in New Jersey surged to 267 on Tuesday with the largest single-day increase in deaths as the outbreak continues to widen with 18,696 total coronavirus cases statewide.

Gov. Phil Murphy said there were 69 new deaths including a Passaic County firefighter.

These new cases are all a result of what transpired 7-15 days ago.  This is why they don't expect to see a peak until mid April.

Going to get worse before it gets beter.

It will almost take for someone to lose a loved one for them to take things seriously.
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 8,271
    https://youtu.be/WslBRY9B-n4

Thoughts? I’m not saying trump nailed the response to covid -19 but did anyone really do a great job? 
    edited March 2020
    nicknyr15 said:

Thoughts? I’m not saying trump nailed the response to covid -19 but did anyone really do a great job? 
    Definitely one sided account of things where he is right but no republican seemed to do anything wrong in that video.

Edit: Still pushing politics.  I mentioned that the blame game should stop now.
    nicknyr15 said:

Definitely one sided account of things where he is right but no republican seemed to do anything wrong in that video.

Edit: Still pushing politics.  I mentioned that the blame game should stop now.
    Blame game as in the video guy, not you.
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,123
    Ok so no one is to blame cool so the same can be said of no one takes responsibility correct? And who do you think will take credit when this is over? 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    Ok so no one is to blame cool so the same can be said of no one takes responsibility correct? And who do you think will take credit when this is over? 
    The term "we" come to mind when people accomplish something together.

It's my vision Jose, don't ruin it, I still believe!
  • FiveBelowFiveBelow Posts: 1,268
    edited March 2020
    Hopefully China.
    Edit: Blame not credit.
    Post edited by FiveBelow on
    JW269453 said:
    Hopefully China.
    lol knowing what you know about this whole thing you don’t believe anyone will take credit for when this crisis passes? Really you can’t think of anyone who will claim they are the reason for the crisis being over? 
    Blah blah blah. I never said trump didn’t drop the ball holy shit. Cool down dude. Not everything is a personal political attack. I’m just saying both sides acted irresponsibly. That’s a fact. Hopefully we’ll all be better prepared for the next one. 
    nicknyr15 said:
    Blah blah blah. I never said trump didn’t drop the ball holy shit. Cool down dude. Not everything is a personal political attack. I’m just saying both sides acted irresponsibly. That’s a fact. Hopefully we’ll all be better prepared for the next one. 
    I don't think Jose was targeting you.
    nicknyr15 said:
    lol both sides please tell me the sides or teams you speak of? Who will take responsibility for saving the world I’m asking a question..
    nicknyr15 said:
    Correct 
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,666
    Social Distancing is working, keep it up people!
    nicknyr15 said:
    Correct 
    Sorry man. I guess I’m just naturally defensive whenever I post something that’s slightly against the norm. My apologies. 

nicknyr15 said:
    lol both sides please tell me the sides or teams you speak of? Who will take responsibility for saving the world I’m asking a question..
    I wasn’t defending trump. I’m just showing how completely unprepared everyone was and how neither side took this seriously until it was too late. And of course he’ll claim he saved the world. We’re in the middle of it and all he does is talking about the terrific job he’s doing. It’s old news. His actions don’t shock or surprise me anymore. 
  • FiveBelowFiveBelow Posts: 1,268
    JW269453 said:
    Hopefully China.
    lol knowing what you know about this whole thing you don’t believe anyone will take credit for when this crisis passes? Really you can’t think of anyone who will claim they are the reason for the crisis being over? 
    I misread your original post. I don't care who takes credit for ending it, I just want it to be over with for everyone.
    JW269453 said:
    JW269453 said:
    Hopefully China.
    I misread your original post. I don't care who takes credit for ending it, I just want it to be over with for everyone.
    Same here. It’s mentally draining and depressing. I’m going to be grateful for so many things after this. Something as simple as going out to dinner with my wife. 
    JW269453 said:
    JW269453 said:
    Hopefully China.
    My bad I should of been clearer, I want it over too! 
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    I wasn’t defending trump. I’m just showing how completely unprepared everyone was and how neither side took this seriously until it was too late. And of course he’ll claim he saved the world. We’re in the middle of it and all he does is talking about the terrific job he’s doing. It’s old news. His actions don’t shock or surprise me anymore. 
    I’m sorry I have to ask again, what/who are the sides you speak of? 
This discussion has been closed.