Comments

• CM189191CM189191 Posts: 6,927
    DewieCox said:
    DewieCox said:
    CM189191 said:
    JW269453 said:
    CM189191 said:
    JW269453 said:
    Here is a perspective from someone who doesn’t get wrapped up in rooting for one side or the other. Why did we not already have a plan in place for how to handle a worldwide pandemic? A no questions asked, exact course of action type of plan. Seems to me like that might be something our government should have given some thought about well before Trump even had the idea of running for office. Our last administration saw what the swine flu pandemic could do, and that was with a understanding of how to combat the H1N1 virus already. There were microbiologists predicting something like this current coronavirus pandemic with uncanny accuracy years ago. I have attached a review from the American Society for Microbiology published back in October of 2007 for reference along with the very accurate portion in a screenshot. No president should have to make up a plan on the fly when it comes to the safety of our country. Sorry, but this shit falls squarely on the inability of our government and not having their priorities straight long ago. Republican or Democrat it doesn’t matter, while all they care about is pointing fingers and acting like fucking children measures could have been taken. You don’t have to like Trump, and he undoubtedly says some off the wall things but the blame for this should be directed elsewhere. When do we stop letting our government divide us and start holding them accountable instead of spreading hate amongst each other? People just can’t seem to see the forest for the trees. RATM said it best, WAKE UP!

https://cmr.asm.org/content/20/4/660.full

....ummmmm.....

Before Trump’s inauguration, a warning: ‘The worst influenza pandemic since 1918’
    In a tabletop exercise days before an untested new president took power, officials briefed the incoming administration on a scenario remarkably like the one he faces now.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/16/trump-inauguration-warning-scenario-pandemic-132797

Trump admin was briefed on a possible pandemic driving transition by the outgoing Obama administration. Trump disbanded the National Security Council pandemic unit. Trump dropped the ball on the response.

Stop with the both sides are bad bullshit.  Trump administration single handedly fucked America on this one.
    My whole point is we dropped the ball as a country by not having an existing immediate response plan. One that doesn’t change unless it is being amended and is standard protocol regardless of who is in the White House. If these parameters are met then follow these guidelines, does that not sound like something that should have already been achieved at some point in our governments history? Every election is a gamble and this would aid in making sure losing bets don’t make catastrophic mistakes. I should have known better than to use the trigger word because that is all many of you get hung up on. Nowhere did I state he was doing a good job or was void of some responsibility, I also never said Obama was at fault. Placing the blame on one person for the state of any government is just silly. I simply feel it is ridiculous that our country and many others were totally caught off guard and didn’t have mandatory protocol already in place, ready to implement. If you can’t see this as a preexisting issue that is every bit as culpable, then maybe as someone commented we do live on different planets. My hope is we learn from our mistakes because all we should be focused on is being better prepared in the future. You can go back to your hive mind mentality believing every Democratic run government was perfect from 1828 to present. Fuck, that is some strong Kool-Aid.
    Every Democratic government in my lifetime was significantly better ran than everyone Republican administration by any and every metric. 
    Rich, coming from a former Chicagoan.

The biggest issue with the current system is that it promotes choosing sides, winning and losing, my way or the highway. If you don’t think both parties have contributed to that equally you’re delusional. 
    That’s garbage. It hasn’t been “equal.” You can look as far back as Reagan and the massive disparity between dems and repubs in the house and senate all the way up to 2010 or 2012 when repubs decided that their “number one priority was to see this president fail.” Dems have come nowhere close to what Moscow Mitchy Baby and his ilk have done over the past 12 years. Not even close.

Both sides are not the same. Stop believing the T party mantra. Yet another false equivalency.
    I don’t know what the T party mantra even means. Turn off the CNN
    Despite CNN, your claim is garbage. Both sides are not the same. Copious examples have been provided in this thread and others of the differences. Tune in to reality.
    Depends on from where you look.
    ...well....there's your problem...

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,053
    edited March 2020
    DewieCox said:
    DewieCox said:
    CM189191 said:
    JW269453 said:
    CM189191 said:
    JW269453 said:
    Here is a perspective from someone who doesn’t get wrapped up in rooting for one side or the other. Why did we not already have a plan in place for how to handle a worldwide pandemic? A no questions asked, exact course of action type of plan. Seems to me like that might be something our government should have given some thought about well before Trump even had the idea of running for office. Our last administration saw what the swine flu pandemic could do, and that was with a understanding of how to combat the H1N1 virus already. There were microbiologists predicting something like this current coronavirus pandemic with uncanny accuracy years ago. I have attached a review from the American Society for Microbiology published back in October of 2007 for reference along with the very accurate portion in a screenshot. No president should have to make up a plan on the fly when it comes to the safety of our country. Sorry, but this shit falls squarely on the inability of our government and not having their priorities straight long ago. Republican or Democrat it doesn’t matter, while all they care about is pointing fingers and acting like fucking children measures could have been taken. You don’t have to like Trump, and he undoubtedly says some off the wall things but the blame for this should be directed elsewhere. When do we stop letting our government divide us and start holding them accountable instead of spreading hate amongst each other? People just can’t seem to see the forest for the trees. RATM said it best, WAKE UP!

....ummmmm.....

Before Trump’s inauguration, a warning: ‘The worst influenza pandemic since 1918’
    In a tabletop exercise days before an untested new president took power, officials briefed the incoming administration on a scenario remarkably like the one he faces now.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/16/trump-inauguration-warning-scenario-pandemic-132797

Trump admin was briefed on a possible pandemic driving transition by the outgoing Obama administration. Trump disbanded the National Security Council pandemic unit. Trump dropped the ball on the response.

Stop with the both sides are bad bullshit.  Trump administration single handedly fucked America on this one.
    My whole point is we dropped the ball as a country by not having an existing immediate response plan. One that doesn’t change unless it is being amended and is standard protocol regardless of who is in the White House. If these parameters are met then follow these guidelines, does that not sound like something that should have already been achieved at some point in our governments history? Every election is a gamble and this would aid in making sure losing bets don’t make catastrophic mistakes. I should have known better than to use the trigger word because that is all many of you get hung up on. Nowhere did I state he was doing a good job or was void of some responsibility, I also never said Obama was at fault. Placing the blame on one person for the state of any government is just silly. I simply feel it is ridiculous that our country and many others were totally caught off guard and didn’t have mandatory protocol already in place, ready to implement. If you can’t see this as a preexisting issue that is every bit as culpable, then maybe as someone commented we do live on different planets. My hope is we learn from our mistakes because all we should be focused on is being better prepared in the future. You can go back to your hive mind mentality believing every Democratic run government was perfect from 1828 to present. Fuck, that is some strong Kool-Aid.
    Every Democratic government in my lifetime was significantly better ran than everyone Republican administration by any and every metric. 

The biggest issue with the current system is that it promotes choosing sides, winning and losing, my way or the highway. If you don’t think both parties have contributed to that equally you’re delusional. 
    That’s garbage. It hasn’t been “equal.” You can look as far back as Reagan and the massive disparity between dems and repubs in the house and senate all the way up to 2010 or 2012 when repubs decided that their “number one priority was to see this president fail.” Dems have come nowhere close to what Moscow Mitchy Baby and his ilk have done over the past 12 years. Not even close.

Both sides are not the same. Stop believing the T party mantra. Yet another false equivalency.
    Despite CNN, your claim is garbage. Both sides are not the same. Copious examples have been provided in this thread and others of the differences. Tune in to reality.

I think that is a cop out of a response, though.
    Of course things change given a person's perspective - but not all perspectives are valid.
    If you have a specific stance or situation, you can share...
    Rather not get into discussions about US politics (and in regards to other countries). I don't have a grasp on what the rules on here are regarding it.

But I still think my point stands and is valid enough.

Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,998
    CM189191 said:
    DewieCox said:
    DewieCox said:
    CM189191 said:
    JW269453 said:
    CM189191 said:
    JW269453 said:

....ummmmm.....

Most impressive doing this with clothes on.
    edited March 2020
    CM189191 said:
    DewieCox said:
    DewieCox said:
    CM189191 said:
    JW269453 said:
    CM189191 said:
    JW269453 said:

....ummmmm.....

Oh, look the condescending attitude again.

Must make you feel so cool.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,424
    DewieCox said:
    DewieCox said:
    CM189191 said:
    JW269453 said:
    CM189191 said:
    JW269453 said:

....ummmmm.....

Sorry but you’re completely wrong.
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,424
    CM189191 said:
    DewieCox said:
    DewieCox said:
    CM189191 said:
    JW269453 said:
    CM189191 said:
    JW269453 said:

....ummmmm.....

Example A

CM189191 said:
    DewieCox said:
    DewieCox said:
    CM189191 said:
    JW269453 said:
    CM189191 said:
    JW269453 said:

....ummmmm.....

Oh, look the condescending attitude again.

Must make you feel so cool.
    you'll get over it
  • KatKat Posts: 4,830
    No more.
    The very definition of two sides would have to mean they are not the same. That's how there are two. Otherwise, it would be one side. :tongue:
    Take care of each other and please stay safe everyone. Try to relax wherever you are. Big hugs.
    Falling down,...not staying down
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,554
    brianlux said:
    Have any of you read James Howard Kunstler's book The Long Emergency?  I read that book when it came out 15 years ago and as much as I liked it, I always thought his predictions were too far off, that I would never live to see much or any of what he writes about happen.  Now I begin to seriously wonder. 

Kunstler's blog this morning (the link is posted below) pretty much summarizes what he wrote in that book (well worth reading, still).  I feel hesitant to post all this here because we all have enough to worry about.  But on the other hand, I think it is important to look at these things and begin to think about how do deal with them rather than be caught off guard.  My hope is that society will begin to show, as it has in other times of turmoil, a willingness to buck up and deal with the problems we face boldly and with vigor and courage. 

Here's the article:

Will read later!!!

Excellent!  Would love to hear your take on it, thanks!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Kat said:
    No more.
    The very definition of two sides would have to mean they are not the same. That's how there are two. Otherwise, it would be one side. :tongue:
    Take care of each other and please stay safe everyone. Try to relax wherever you are. Big hugs.

Thank you, Kat!  :hug:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

whelp, just had my first client call with 2 employees who have C19

one on their way to hospital with pneumonia now
  • KatKat Posts: 4,830
    Tampa megachurch pastor arrested after leading packed services despite 'safer-at-home' orders

TAMPA, Fla. - The pastor of a Tampa megachurch is facing charges after refusing to close its doors despite a "safer at home" order in effect in Hillsborough County, meant to stop the spread of COVID-19. The sheriff of Hillsborough County says one of two Sunday services had up to 500 people in attendance.

continued at
    https://www.fox13news.com/news/tampa-megachurch-pastor-arrested-after-leading-packed-services-despite-safer-at-home-orders
    Falling down,...not staying down
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 38,153
    Kat said:
    Tampa megachurch pastor arrested after leading packed services despite 'safer-at-home' orders

TAMPA, Fla. - The pastor of a Tampa megachurch is facing charges after refusing to close its doors despite a "safer at home" order in effect in Hillsborough County, meant to stop the spread of COVID-19. The sheriff of Hillsborough County says one of two Sunday services had up to 500 people in attendance.

continued at
    https://www.fox13news.com/news/tampa-megachurch-pastor-arrested-after-leading-packed-services-despite-safer-at-home-orders
    Government trampling all over religion? Grab yer gun.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
    Kat said:

continued at

• static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    edited March 2020
    brianlux said:
    Have any of you read James Howard Kunstler's book The Long Emergency?  I read that book when it came out 15 years ago and as much as I liked it, I always thought his predictions were too far off, that I would never live to see much or any of what he writes about happen.  Now I begin to seriously wonder. 

Kunstler's blog this morning (the link is posted below) pretty much summarizes what he wrote in that book (well worth reading, still).  I feel hesitant to post all this here because we all have enough to worry about.  But on the other hand, I think it is important to look at these things and begin to think about how do deal with them rather than be caught off guard.  My hope is that society will begin to show, as it has in other times of turmoil, a willingness to buck up and deal with the problems we face boldly and with vigor and courage. 

Here's the article:

Just read it.  I think it’s an interesting take.  I agree with a lot of what he is talking about.  I think he is a little too positive when it comes to Americans waking up and retooling after the Corona coma.  Im pretty sure we will get back to more finger pointing and blaming in no time.  I agree that the larger part of the stimulus bill would have better served the hospitals and went to relief of  any bills that those unfortunate enough to contract covid may incur.  For years I’ve thought we have needed to expand our rail system...highly doubt this crisis will cause that to be looked at.  Anyone that has spent any time outside of the US knows that rails are and can be a very efficient mode of transporting people and goods.  As for his point about rural farming...good luck wrenching that out of the hands of agribusiness, add to that the fact that most Americans have a distaste for labor.  That’s my hot take.  Remember that the function of democracy is to protect the Opulent (wealthy) minority from the majority, according to the founders, James Madison specifically.
    Post edited by static111 on
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 6,386
    Day 1 of Back to School - At home. We did 5 worksheets from a provincial website.
    I think for the remainder of the week we will stick to literacy (reading the book series I procured before X hit the fan) and numeracy (playing an online fun math game).
    I wonder what the kids' teacher is going to come up with asides from more planning work/stress?

Also, I was thinking recently, that schooling from home does not have "class size" limitations, therefore one teacher could "teach" or plan for more than one class, which would reduce the numbers of teachers needed if this kept on for a while...
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,120
    tish said:
    Day 1 of Back to School - At home. We did 5 worksheets from a provincial website.
    I think for the remainder of the week we will stick to literacy (reading the book series I procured before X hit the fan) and numeracy (playing an online fun math game).
    I wonder what the kids' teacher is going to come up with asides from more planning work/stress?

Also, I was thinking recently, that schooling from home does not have "class size" limitations, therefore one teacher could "teach" or plan for more than one class, which would reduce the numbers of teachers needed if this kept on for a while...
    Great job🤘
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    static111 said:
    brianlux said:

Here's the article:

Just read it.  I think it’s an interesting take.  I agree with a lot of what he is talking about.  I think he is a little too positive when it comes to Americans waking up and retooling after the Corona coma.  Im pretty sure we will get back to more finger pointing and blaming in no time.  I agree that the larger part of the stimulus bill would have better served the hospitals and went to relief of  any bills that those unfortunate enough to contract covid may incur.  For years I’ve thought we have needed to expand our rail system...highly doubt this crisis will cause that to be looked at.  Anyone that has spent any time outside of the US knows that rails are and can be a very efficient mode of transporting people and goods.  As for his point about rural farming...good luck wrenching that out of the hands of agribusiness, add to that the fact that most Americans have a distaste for labor.  That’s my hot take.  Remember that the function of democracy is to protect the Opulent (wealthy) minority from the majority, according to the founders, James Madison specifically.

Thanks for the response, static.

I'm totally with you on the need to expand our rail service.  Actually, considering where we are now, I think what we need to do first is revive the once well maintained and bustling rail service America had before the oil industry sabotaged it.   I think you are so right about the efficiency of rail service.  I've read in various articles and books information about how the most efficient means of transporting people and goods in by rail- more so than my ship, plain, truck or car. 

As for agriculture, yes, we probably are a ways off from wrenching farming out of the hands of agribusiness.  I think Kunstler is correct in saying that big agribusiness, which heavily relies on a limited resource- petroleum- will eventually fail, but we really can't predict how soon that will happen.  In any case, I think the smart thing to do is to encourage and support farmer's markets and small farms.  If I were a lot younger, I would give serious consideration to getting involved in a small farm business.  We live in a semi-rural area and over the last several years have seen more and more people doing just that- everything from building small farm businesses to families with enough room to raise chickens and sell eggs- or in some instances, even going so far as to trade eggs for book credit at the bookstore.  I think we will see more of this kind of localized business post-COVID.

I would hope these ideas are things some here might want to consider thinking about in preparing for the post-COVID world we are entering.  I know it seems premature to talk about this, but most of us will survive this pandemic and the time will pass quickly, so I think the time to start planning and building a new future for ourselves, our children, and our communities is now, especially as many of us have plenty of time to think and plan. 

Get ready to return to your lives. Even better than before. Another ass kissing covid press conference. What a schmuck.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Brilliantati©
    The My Pillow guy is addressing the press in the rose garden. WTF? 

Brilliantati©
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,405
    Par for the course, I'm afraid.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Those fucking freaks at Hobby Lobby ("God is in control") should be up there too.  
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • wndowpaynewndowpayne Posts: 1,469
    Get ready to return to your lives. Even better than before. Another ass kissing covid press conference. What a schmuck.

Hardly..Virginia at stay at home til june 10
    Charlottesville 2013
    Hampton 2016

• bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,945

Virginia officially announced the stay at home order is in place until June 10?

That's the second time today I've heard the term "Pillow Guy".  What does that mean?

• PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,422
    edited March 2020
    tish said:

What age is your child and what site are you using? I am from NB if it matters and only accessible to residents of the province. I have 1 in kindergarten and am using books from the bookstore but would like to implement some online learning too. 

Well, according to the very stable genius, Team Trump Treason extended the stay at home order until the end of April because your life will come back, even better than ever. Tremendous. Incredible. Amazing. And he cracked jokes that the wind was blowing his hair, which is real by the way. We have a 5th grader as POTUS. 3,000 Americans dead and he’s riffing about his hair.

Brilliantati©
  • SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 6,386
    PJNB said:
    tish said:

What age is your child and what site are you using? I am from NB if it matters and only accessible to residents of the province. I have 1 in kindergarten and am using books from the bookstore but would like to implement some online learning too. 

https://www.openschool.bc.ca/keeplearning/

Kid is in grade 3. Here's gym class today!

• mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,590
    brianlux said:

That's the second time today I've heard the term "Pillow Guy".  What does that mean?
    guy who developed a pillow fill and became a multi-millionaire from late night comercials

he is a big supporter of the buffoon in chief.

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
This discussion has been closed.