The coronavirus

Comments

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,382
    pjl44 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Yet another theory (which I like!)

New Oxford study suggests millions of people may have already built up coronavirus immunity

A model predicting the progression of the novel coronavirus pandemic produced by researchers at Imperial College London set off alarms across the world and was a major factor in several governments' decisions to lock things down. But a new model from Oxford University is challenging its accuracy, the Financial Times reports.

The Oxford research suggests the pandemic is in a later stage than previously thought and estimates the virus has already infected at least millions of people worldwide. In the United Kingdom, which the study focuses on, half the population would have already been infected. If accurate, that would mean transmission began around mid-January and the vast majority of cases presented mild or no symptoms.

The head of the study, professor Sunetra Gupta, an Oxford theoretical epidemiologist, said she still supports the U.K.'s decision to shut down the country to suppress the virus even if her research winds up being proven correct. But she also doesn't appear to be a big fan of the work done by the Imperial College team. "I am surprised that there has been such unqualified acceptance of the Imperial model," she said.

If her work is accurate, that would likely mean a large swath of the population has built up resistance to the virus. Theoretically, then, social restrictions could ease sooner than anticipated. What needs to be done now, Gupta said, is a whole lot of antibody testing to figure out who may have contracted the virus. Her research team is working with groups from the University of Cambridge and the University of Kent to start those tests for the general population as quickly as possible. Read more at the Financial Times.

Would this potentially explain why some people have tested positive but never present with systems? That they have already been through it and maybe just thought it was the flu?
    That s what I was thinking after I read it.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,313
    As long as I have my job I don’t need the $, and I’m not getting it.  But I HATE the idea of sending checks to everyone. Many don’t need it. The person in NYC gets the same as the person in Montana don’t they?

seem it would be better to work with businesses to guarantee and pay a certain % of the pay, etc to the employees to keep them on the payroll despite not working. And then shore up the systems we already have in place to move faster and provide more short term benefits.

Pretty sure that is what they just said in the conference..and loans will be forgiven as long as kept as employeess
    Right, then why send checks to 90% of the country? 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,309
    As long as I have my job I don’t need the $, and I’m not getting it.  But I HATE the idea of sending checks to everyone. Many don’t need it. The person in NYC gets the same as the person in Montana don’t they?

seem it would be better to work with businesses to guarantee and pay a certain % of the pay, etc to the employees to keep them on the payroll despite not working. And then shore up the systems we already have in place to move faster and provide more short term benefits.

Pretty sure that is what they just said in the conference..and loans will be forgiven as long as kept as employeess
    My understanding is that the loan guarantees are targeting small businesses.  Medium to larger businesses will also be cutting expenses.  
  • RYMERYME Posts: 1,904
    I had all the exact symptoms that they're describing the last week of February (thought nothing of it)  and that lasted 3 days.   So I don't know if I had it or not?  I continued  life as normal as if it was a cold.  So I don't know if I had it or not?
    How many millions have already had it?  And have buit up an immunity herd immunity already??
    Herd immunity possibly is the best remedy outside of drinking a case of Corona with a lime please =) because then the the virus has no place to land??
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,125
    Jason P said:
    Anyone that hasn't listened to the new PJ song needs to unplug their brain from this topic and immediately go listen to it.  It's a banger!
    I wish I could just unplug and just enjoy music I really do I listened to the new song once but I can’t enjoy it, living here in NY and working in hospital has fucked my mind up, I’m a mess just trying not to lose it...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,747
    edited March 2020
    Man, I feel for you^^^ jose^^^ and NY at this time.

Post edited by cutz on
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,508
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    I’m not very understanding on the economics of ventilator availability. Are there even 30,000 ventilators available at this point?

Did we say that during world war 2? Too bad we dont have tanks nor planes? Was that our approach? No. We built them. Fast.

Go ahead and google US WW2 deaths vs what can happen if the covid crisis continues to be mismanaged and false logic continues.

The numbers should shock everyone. There is a chance this event is worse than a world war for Americans. 

But hey, let Cuomo figure it out on his own. Makes perfect sense. Thanks trump
    Man you overreact quite regularly. I was just asking what is the reality of getting 30000 ventilators. Nothing partisan. No blaming. Just what is the necessary logistics of getting 30,000 ventilators? If they aren’t available who can make them?  And no this isn’t WW2 

Your comment was reminiscent of what Trump said, I'm sure that was not your intent. “Are there even.” No, of course not. That’s why we need emergency action, not a govt more worried about bailing out big business first. Trump said yesterday let cuomo figure it out. Would that piss you off if you were at risk?

NY is doubling cases almost every other day, this has the potential to get very bad. For the record, WW2 total US deaths were around 400,000. It’s not out of the question this could be worse, especially if there are multiple waves. If you think that’s an overreaction, I think you are not being realistic about the facts in this crisis.

We dragged our feet for two weeks and probably mass contaminated a metropolitan area with about 25 million. Now Trump is dragging his feet again, about ventilators. Of course there aren’t 30,000 extra in a warehouse, but we need quick decisive action. Like in WW2, which had the added problem of the majority of the labor pool getting drafted to quickly produce needed equipment.

The govt moved in two days to bail out the corporations. Good thing we saved the companies quickly, because if companies don’t get enough oxygen into its balance sheet, they will code out immediately. But Preventing mass contamination, fail. Getting or producing enough ventilators in time to save lives, looks like that’s not a priority for trump. 
    World War Two was a literal war with people bombing and shooting and gassing each other for 6 years and a day with an estimated total death toll of 75-80 million worldwide.  This is bad but not that bad. I agree and sympathize with you that some are more at risk of this disease than others and people need all the help they can get.  It is unrealistic to think anyone including the head Buffoon in charge can magic 30,000 ventilators into existence because there is an immediate need.  I also agree with you that more can and should be done.  Yes the war powers should be used, but I imagine retooling an entire manufacturer to make sterile ventilators would also take some time. There are no quick fixes...but now I know a lot more about the ventilator situation

i also agree corporations should have been an after thought. Priorities should be

healthcare
    economic assistance for those in need
    economic assistance to failing business
    and then maybe waaaaaaayyyyyy back there corporations and the stock market

I thought I said parameters strictly dealing with US fatalities and how the US responds to a deadly crisis. US fatalities were about 400,000 in WWII. I did not insinuate we are at war. The comparison is to the most recent lethal crisis where immediate production needed to ramp up. 

the federal govt is the resource of last resort, and are best equipped to get the specialized ventilator production industry to ramp up production, add second shifts, fortify it’s supply chain, etc. This should have occurred three weeks ago.

cutz said:

It’s a fucked up situation , Elmhurst hospital which is only a few mikes from the hospital I work in had 13 deaths yesterday this is just the beginning of the darkness to come over this whole state! My wife who’s at home will start to look at rentals way upstate if shit gets really really bad we’re thinking of packing up and just moving up to the mountains for a few months..
    cutz said:

It’s a fucked up situation , Elmhurst hospital which is only a few mikes from the hospital I work in had 13 deaths yesterday this is just the beginning of the darkness to come over this whole state! My wife who’s at home will start to look at rentals way upstate if shit gets really really bad we’re thinking of packing up and just moving up to the mountains for a few months..

You are a warrior man. That’s what I called the excellent nurses who cared for my daughter last week. Hang tough, JE.

Fiscal multiplier. 

They want the money to circulate in the economy. Due to this crisis and people staying home, spending is curtailed, even with those who are still employed. 

Unemployment insurance is estimated to have a multiplier effect of 1.64. Stimulus spending would be somewhat lower, but probably still greater than 1.00

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/f/fiscal-multiplier.asp
    cutz said:

You are a warrior man. That’s what I called the excellent nurses who cared for my daughter last week. Hang tough, JE.
    No I’m no warrior my wife is she’s a nurse today she had to go and do an examination on a rape case she has to go directly into the fire into an ER to examine the rape victims yes women are still getting raped even in these times it’s unreal , I’m fried not sure how long our minds & nerves can take the pressure..

• RYMERYME Posts: 1,904
    On the other hand I totally get this social distanceing in idea.   A humorous thing occurred at gas station when I was fulling up my semi truck.
    There was a dude ahead of us in the line, he was buying scratch-off tickets & he cannot decide how many he wants. (a middle-aged sloppy dude) So one more, one more, one more.... & so all of the patrons and all of the employees are social distancing from each other 6 feet or more and then this guy buying  lotto tickets goes ACHOOOO!!!  all over the counter.  He had no idea why people were all basically saying
    Judas Priest dude!!!!!  Go home.
  • mace1229 said:
    mickeyrat said:

Fuck him let him go and volunteer at one of the hospitals put your money where your mouth is asshole , I’m sorry but I despise 99.9% of Republicans staring with asshole #1 you know the one who wants to just start up everything because the economy dictates it fuck you and your whole party I take it bake I despise every Republican..
    I thought it was idiotic when I heard heard about this comment. I finally just watched the clip. And I don’t think that’s what he was actually saying. I don’t think he did a good job of talking about it. But I think he was just saying destroying the economy is going to have a bigger impact and seniors can worry about themselves. He didn’t say reopen the economy today and let seniors die. He said if it’s closed more than 3 months we may have irreparable damage to the economy. I agree with that. And that Seniors can take care of themselves. I wouldn’t have phrased it that way, but I also agree. Many stores already have senior hours before they open. 
    I would say before we destroy our economy and create more harm, the economy should reopen. And those who are high risk, including seniors and those with immuno diseases, should continue to self quarantine and utilize things like senior shopping hours. Because at some point destroying the economy will destroy lives too, we need to get back to more of a normal before we get to that point. That doesn’t mean just sacrifice seniors.
    Listening to his entire segment that’s what my take was on it anyway. 
    Yep.  There’s really no need to come onto this part of the forum anymore.  Its become as sad as Facebook unfortunately.  It’s daily misinformation about everything from moronic fish tank cleaner eating people blaming trump to a Lt gov that no one cares about anyway being misconstrued for hysteria and headline purposes, to made up dossiers used by our govt to spy on folks to dismissed with prejudice Russian mueller indictments that we paid for- all acceptable as long as it’s orange guy bad.  

Counting cheeto’s lies is always acceptable for the day’s outrage, as long as no one cares to count the lies on the other side.  “News” outlets aren’t even bothering to redact or update articles anymore once they’ve been proven wrong via twitter or other means.  There’s lawsuits abound against these publications and “news” sites, as they clamor to put to paper anything and everything relating to sir orange.

Every time I make the mistake of coming on here I read so many misconceptions and things that have already been fact checked as false it’s truly sad.  We still have one dude talking about pee tapes as if they weren’t already established as some perverts fairy tale.  Folks are so infatuated with everything trump that they just can’t stop talking about him.  His name comes out of some folks’ mouths dozens of times a day... while their houses remain a mess.  

Life isn’t this hard.  Stop creating difficulty for others when there's simply  no reason to do so.  Be kind.

I was never baptized and am not a religious person in any way, but damn people, just get your houses in order.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,476
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 38,172
    mace1229 said:
    mickeyrat said:

Fuck him let him go and volunteer at one of the hospitals put your money where your mouth is asshole , I’m sorry but I despise 99.9% of Republicans staring with asshole #1 you know the one who wants to just start up everything because the economy dictates it fuck you and your whole party I take it bake I despise every Republican..
    I thought it was idiotic when I heard heard about this comment. I finally just watched the clip. And I don’t think that’s what he was actually saying. I don’t think he did a good job of talking about it. But I think he was just saying destroying the economy is going to have a bigger impact and seniors can worry about themselves. He didn’t say reopen the economy today and let seniors die. He said if it’s closed more than 3 months we may have irreparable damage to the economy. I agree with that. And that Seniors can take care of themselves. I wouldn’t have phrased it that way, but I also agree. Many stores already have senior hours before they open. 
    I would say before we destroy our economy and create more harm, the economy should reopen. And those who are high risk, including seniors and those with immuno diseases, should continue to self quarantine and utilize things like senior shopping hours. Because at some point destroying the economy will destroy lives too, we need to get back to more of a normal before we get to that point. That doesn’t mean just sacrifice seniors.
    Yep.  There’s really no need to come onto this part of the forum anymore.  Its become as sad as Facebook unfortunately.  It’s daily misinformation about everything from moronic fish tank cleaner eating people blaming trump to a Lt gov that no one cares about anyway being misconstrued for hysteria and headline purposes, to made up dossiers used by our govt to spy on folks to dismissed with prejudice Russian mueller indictments that we paid for- all acceptable as long as it’s orange guy bad.  

Counting cheeto’s lies is always acceptable for the day’s outrage, as long as no one cares to count the lies on the other side.  “News” outlets aren’t even bothering to redact or update articles anymore once they’ve been proven wrong via twitter or other means.  There’s lawsuits abound against these publications and “news” sites, as they clamor to put to paper anything and everything relating to sir orange.

Every time I make the mistake of coming on here I read so many misconceptions and things that have already been fact checked as false it’s truly sad.  We still have one dude talking about pee tapes as if they weren’t already established as some perverts fairy tale.  Folks are so infatuated with everything trump that they just can’t stop talking about him.  His name comes out of some folks’ mouths dozens of times a day... while their houses remain a mess.  

Life isn’t this hard.  Stop creating difficulty for others when there's simply  no reason to do so.  Be kind.

I was never baptized and am not a religious person in any way, but damn people, just get your houses in order.
    Thanks for the faceturd post. Stellar job.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • RunIntoTheRainRunIntoTheRain Posts: 1,019
    edited March 2020
    “There’s really no need to come onto this part of the forum anymore.”

“Every time I make the mistake of coming on here...”

@RoleModelsinBlood31 and yet here you are
  • SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 6,386
    Holy hell josevolution, I can only imagine. Evertime I read about N.Y. tears swell. I think we can use this space to be kind and supportive to others. 
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,476
    mace1229 said:
    mickeyrat said:

hundreds of thousands have died, and all you care about are the news outlets that won't redact things and how much people talk about trump. you can't be for real. 

i guess you forgot about the obama era, where all the right could talk about was tan suits and bare arms. 

cheetos lies have literally, LITERALLY, cost people their fucking lives. do you get that?
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,309
    Ha.  It's funny though.  Even his "fuck you" when he was pulling away,  to the car behind him,  was polite compared to the States  
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,834
    Well this is nice. During this quarantine time, my cable company is giving everyone HBO and all the other pay channels for free. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,424
    edited March 2020
    mace1229 said:
    mickeyrat said:

hundreds of thousands have died, and all you care about are the news outlets that won't redact things and how much people talk about trump. you can't be for real. 

i guess you forgot about the obama era, where all the right could talk about was tan suits and bare arms. 

cheetos lies have literally, LITERALLY, cost people their fucking lives. do you get that?
    Hundreds of thousands?

Seriously, nobody should be defending any of these fuckfaces. it’s seriously embarrassing, the whole climate.

Post edited by DewieCox on
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,424
    Well this is nice. During this quarantine time, my cable company is giving everyone HBO and all the other pay channels for free. 
    Skinemax?
  • myoung321myoung321 Posts: 2,855
    edited March 2020
    The US can get all sorts of military equipment around the world in a matter of hours, build outposts in the middle of the desert on the other side of the earth in a matter of days........but we can't get PPD's to hospitals in our own country. 

Trillions spent on Defense and Homeland Security since 9/11...... Feel Safer? 
    "The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera." - Yusuf Karsh

• rhanishanerhanishane Posts: 505
    edited March 2020
    Sydney international airport crammed with people flying in from overseas 🙄 wtf we are doomed. And 12 cruise ships lined up waiting to dock I'm sure they'll let them in to 
    https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-26/coronavirus-fears-at-sydney-airport-after-video-shows-long-lines/12092796?pfmredir=sm&sf231956629=1&utm_medium=spredfast&utm_content=sf231956629&utm_campaign=abc_news&utm_source=m.facebook.com
    Post edited by rhanishane on
    bbiggs said:
    Reading some of the stories coming out of New York. It is a very scary situation there.  The hospitals are starting to see what Italy has been seeing. This write up had a doctor explaining that she had to do chest compressions on 3 people; one in 80’s, one in 60’s and a 38 year old. All died from cardiac arrest. I wonder what it is that is causing cardiac arrest in some patients, being that it is a respiratory disease. Does the lack of oxygen have the potential to bring on cardiac arrest? https://www.abc.net.au/news/science/2020-03-26/how-the-coronavirus-can-cause-serious-illness/12066396?utm_medium=spredfast&utm_content=sf231951507&utm_campaign=abc_news&utm_source=m.facebook.com&sf231951507=1#lightbox-content-lightbox-7
    bbiggs said:
    Reading some of the stories coming out of New York. It is a very scary situation there.  The hospitals are starting to see what Italy has been seeing. This write up had a doctor explaining that she had to do chest compressions on 3 people; one in 80’s, one in 60’s and a 38 year old. All died from cardiac arrest. I wonder what it is that is causing cardiac arrest in some patients, being that it is a respiratory disease. Does the lack of oxygen have the potential to bring on cardiac arrest? https://www.abc.net.au/news/science/2020-03-26/how-the-coronavirus-can-cause-serious-illness/12066396?utm_medium=spredfast&utm_content=sf231951507&utm_campaign=abc_news&utm_source=m.facebook.com&sf231951507=1#lightbox-content-lightbox-7
    Sorry it posted on your comment haha bit yes it causes cardiac arrest I read this today
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,559

It's hard to say what's real info and what's not.  This seems very real to me.  Osterholm is brilliant.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/03/21/facing-covid-19-reality-national-lockdown-is-no-cure/

"We are in uncharted territory. But the best alternative will probably entail letting those at low risk for serious disease continue to work, keep business and manufacturing operating, and “run” society, while at the same time advising higher-risk individuals to protect themselves through physical distancing and ramping up our health-care capacity as aggressively as possible. With this battle plan, we could gradually build up immunity without destroying the financial structure on which our lives are based.

Very soon, we may have to acknowledge that attempting to stretch out cases in the hopes of keeping the curve reasonably flat is unworkable. Then, as we wait for either our scientific or natural redeemer to come, we can start trying to put things as back to normal as we can — doing our best to protect those at high risk, but acknowledging that people will get sick, some will die, and our health-care system is going to be overrun to a great extent no matter what we do.

There is no black-or-white option here. We will have to figure out what shade of gray we can accept and apply. We will get through this, but hard and painful choices are inescapable."

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,053
    UK. Prince Charles was confirmed yesterday to be infected with corona. He was not given the privilege to test himself, but met the criteria for a test, reports Reuters. "The Prince of Wales has not progressed in gender," says Health Minister Edward Argar.

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 Posts: 10,739
    mace1229 said:
    mickeyrat said:

??? Are you sure?

more have died from the flu than will die from this virus.  

Give Peas A Chance…
This discussion has been closed.