The coronavirus

Comments

• bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,945
    There have been low projections and projections into the millions.  The fact is, nobody knows.  Seems like an exercise in futility to sit here and speculate about how many will die. 
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,313
    YAKIMATSU said:
    As long as I have my job I don’t need the $, and I’m not getting it.  But I HATE the idea of sending checks to everyone. Many don’t need it. The person in NYC gets the same as the person in Montana don’t they?

seem it would be better to work with businesses to guarantee and pay a certain % of the pay, etc to the employees to keep them on the payroll despite not working. And then shore up the systems we already have in place to move faster and provide more short term benefits.

Pretty sure that is what they just said in the conference..and loans will be forgiven as long as kept as employeess
    Right, then why send checks to 90% of the country? 
    I know, right. Fuck the indigent,  Boeing needs billions to make more planes to kill more people. 
    Priorities. 
    I need new shit, let people die so I can have more shit.
    Sky daddy will save us. It's a hoax and one day it will disappear. 

How's that huckster in chief working out for you now? What is the number of dead that will make you think? 
    I think you are missing my point.  Want government to back small businesses to keep people on payroll and in the event they can't, get them unemployment benefits immediately.  Worry about fraud and red tape at another time.  1 time payment of some cash does some, but not what people need for how long this is going to last.  Plus the fact that someone living in a high cost area gets the same as someone living in buttfuck nebraska is lazy.

But I mean, instead of reading it and having a discussion feel free to keep up with the nonsense bullshit post like you are commenting on twitter or something.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 40,002
    YAKIMATSU said:
    As long as I have my job I don’t need the $, and I’m not getting it.  But I HATE the idea of sending checks to everyone. Many don’t need it. The person in NYC gets the same as the person in Montana don’t they?

seem it would be better to work with businesses to guarantee and pay a certain % of the pay, etc to the employees to keep them on the payroll despite not working. And then shore up the systems we already have in place to move faster and provide more short term benefits.

Pretty sure that is what they just said in the conference..and loans will be forgiven as long as kept as employeess
    I know, right. Fuck the indigent,  Boeing needs billions to make more planes to kill more people. 
    Priorities. 

How's that huckster in chief working out for you now? What is the number of dead that will make you think? 
    I think you are missing my point.  Want government to back small businesses to keep people on payroll and in the event they can't, get them unemployment benefits immediately.  Worry about fraud and red tape at another time.  1 time payment of some cash does some, but not what people need for how long this is going to last.  Plus the fact that someone living in a high cost area gets the same as someone living in buttfuck nebraska is lazy.

But I mean, instead of reading it and having a discussion feel free to keep up with the nonsense bullshit post like you are commenting on twitter or something.
    Why poke at this?
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Posts: 12,844
    Currently, expert opinion is low end of deaths is about 200,000 in the US, high end over a million. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    Currently, expert opinion is low end of deaths is about 200,000 in the US, high end over a million. 

Exactly.  Quite a wide range of outcomes by the experts.  No reason for us to sit here and speculate, in my opinion. 
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,424
    edited March 2020
    Yes, we’ve all seen projections all over the map, no escaping that. I just think it’s as irresponsible to post wildly bloated numbers as it is to  downplay it.
  • bbiggs said:
    There have been low projections and projections into the millions.  The fact is, nobody knows.  Seems like an exercise in futility to sit here and speculate about how many will die. 

Agree -- which is why I feel it is so ridiculous to go on and on about known killers already among us.  Just because cancer, car crashes, or influenza kills lots of people we should not minimize a new threat. 

Looked a bit more closely at the bill details...I am still (sadly) laughing at so many people being focused on what they are going to get for stimulus checks in a month or so.  Drop in the bucket.  Still, I do hope this helps anyone who qualifies and that they save the money OR spend at small businesses.  Anything spent at Target or WalMart or the like is silly -- those companies are making a fucking killing right now, they don't need stimulus money.

I do think it appears they made some good changes to support 4 months of supplemental unemployment benefits from the Federal Govt to the individual State Unemployment recipients.  (Now the challenge appears as to how they will make signing up for this accessible to the overload of people needing help.)  Hoping this helps people who need it.

Still trying to digest the small business loan / forgiveness areas...but there looks like some good work in there as well.

Hoping this is a much needed step toward helping people stay afloat and off the ledge regarding their urgent need to go back out and continue the spread of this virus to support their families.  (Which I get, I don't expect people to sit on their hands and starve...although I would think many have options to tap before doing that & also that they can call and get payments moved to try and stave that off as well.)
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,331
    bbiggs said:

Exactly.  Quite a wide range of outcomes by the experts.  No reason for us to sit here and speculate, in my opinion. 
    Why not? I think it's smart to prepare for all those numbers. Otherwise it doesn't get taken as seriously as it should and some will still just right it off as just another flu. Pressure our leaders to be proactive to minimize these numbers.

Numbers like these should sober people up.
    YAKIMATSU said:

Priorities. 

Why poke at this?
    You mean discuss the stimulus package?  OK, I leave current events out of this current event thread.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,607
    edited March 2020
    RideRick said:
    RideRick said:

Would take veryyyyyy much for that to happen in Sweden

The form of government adopted in 1975 lists the tasks for which the Armed Forces may be used. That does not include the task of being responsible for civil law and order. You can see it as a prohibition, but it is not an explicit prohibition. In investigations and other documents over the following decades, the question is sometimes raised. It is usually described as that there is no legally binding prohibition of military use against its own population, but that political agreement is so broad that it can in practice be ruled out that military will use force and coercion against individuals in peacetime.
    Exactly..   using militairy force to enforce law is not the way free people would endorce.
    If that is needed than there is something wrong with your country.  They can aid in extreme situations. For example if nature strikes hard on your soil or if there is a viral outbreak which require lots of extra medical care. They can build op quickly extra rooms for patients.
    But..  not to parade in the streets to enforce law.  That law is just not the same as our justice department has.

What they want to do, shoot people if they leave there house?
    Is it a terrorist attack if you pass someone to close?
    What is the line to draw..  if you need the army to enforce than you have basicly lost your capacity to be human and you are wilingly treaded like a petdog.

I think the point is the military has the means and the experience to set up mobile hospitals around the country that could have staffing supplemented by veterans with the necessary training to care for the sick or injured for that matter leaving most of the sick to civilians......

select units of the Ohio National Guard have been called to duty to hand out food at the pantries that would have been done by senior citizen volunteers.

Such units have a traditional role in responding to natural disasters when called up. 
    .I think this virus qualifies...

Post edited by mickeyrat on
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,111
    YAKIMATSU said:

Priorities. 

Why poke at this?
    You mean discuss the stimulus package?  OK, I leave current events out of this current event thread.
    I think he's saying don't bother engaging someone who is clearly not looking to have a reasonable conversation
    pjl44 said:
    YAKIMATSU said:

Priorities. 

Why poke at this?
    I think he's saying don't bother engaging someone who is clearly not looking to have a reasonable conversation
    Ah...Sorry, everyone is on edge, including me.  My bad.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,331
    DewieCox said:
    Yes, we’ve all seen projections all over the map, no escaping that. I just think it’s as irresponsible to post wildly bloated numbers as it is to  downplay it.
    Those are not wildly bloated numbers, especially if it's not taken seriously. That's the point.
    pjl44 said:
    YAKIMATSU said:

Priorities. 

Why poke at this?
    Ah...Sorry, everyone is on edge, including me.  My bad.
    That would be correct.  Thank you.

All good here.
  • rhanishanerhanishane Posts: 505
    G20 leader virtual meeting held a few hours ago. I wonder what is to come out of that?
    Australia had another 5 deaths in 24 hours. NSW may be in full lockdown by the weekend because so many are not taking it seriously. I'm still sick with a lung infection since Monday now on antibiotics and steroids and can't shake it. Don't want to end up in hospital especially at this time 🙏
  • G20 leader virtual meeting held a few hours ago. I wonder what is to come out of that?
    Australia had another 5 deaths in 24 hours. NSW may be in full lockdown by the weekend because so many are not taking it seriously. I'm still sick with a lung infection since Monday now on antibiotics and steroids and can't shake it. Don't want to end up in hospital especially at this time 🙏

For sure, not something you want.  Good luck on the recovery and avoiding having to go in...
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • rhanishanerhanishane Posts: 505
    G20 leader virtual meeting held a few hours ago. I wonder what is to come out of that?

For sure, not something you want.  Good luck on the recovery and avoiding having to go in...
    Thank you I'm doing all I can with doctors advice. 
    dignin said:
    bbiggs said:

Why not? I think it's smart to prepare for all those numbers. Otherwise it doesn't get taken as seriously as it should and some will still just right it off as just another flu. Pressure our leaders to be proactive to minimize these numbers.

Numbers like these should sober people up.

I agree that it is smart for our leaders to prepare for the worst possible outcome.  Had we done that from the beginning when we were warned, the situation could be better today.  I just meant for us, on this board, to speculate seems pointless.  This is a serious, deadly disease that should be treated as such, regardless of whether 200,000 people are projected to die or 2 million.
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,053
    When is the time to work from home... I'm still going to the office.. .work better here... it's a 10 min walk, so don't need to cram into a subway or bus... but if the numbers are starting to rise in Sweden like they are saying...
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,397
    YAKIMATSU said:

Priorities. 

I don't disagree with that...$1,200?  once?  Who gives a shit.  
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 38,169
    YAKIMATSU said:

Priorities. 

That's a lot of PJ merch. And lines should be smaller too.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,397
    YAKIMATSU said:

Priorities. 

That's a lot of PJ merch. And lines should be smaller too.
    good point...
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,053
    edited March 2020
    On Wednesday, news came out that 18 people have died from covid-19 in the Stockholm region for the past 24 hours - the highest figure to date.
    According to data to Aftonbladet, the figure has shaken a lot in politics and is currently discussing how to isolate Stockholm from the rest of the country.
    - They are very worried that people will not stay at home and instead go to the summer cottage or go skiing during at Easter, says a source with knowledge to Aftonbladet.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,381
    On Wednesday, news came out that 18 people have died from covid-19 in the Stockholm region for the past 24 hours - the highest figure to date.
    According to data to Aftonbladet, the figure has shaken a lot in politics and is currently discussing how to isolate Stockholm from the rest of the country.
    - They are very worried that people will not stay at home and instead go to the summer cottage or go skiing during at Easter, says a source with knowledge to Aftonbladet.
    Are public schools still open?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • wndowpaynewndowpayne Posts: 1,469
    mcgruff10 said:
    Are public schools still open?
    Public..no,,but Falwell has opened Liberty U..(private)..idiot..
    Charlottesville 2013
    Hampton 2016

• myoung321myoung321 Posts: 2,855
    pjl44 said:
    myoung321 said:
    The US can get all sorts of military equipment around the world in a matter of hours, build outposts in the middle of the desert on the other side of the earth in a matter of days........but we can't get PPD's to hospitals in our own country. 

Trillions spent on Defense and Homeland Security since 9/11...... Feel Safer? 
    Military doesn't have to go through the FDA
    Oh well... never mind then.. cause loading pallets full of PPD gear on C140s would have to go through the FDA....   :s
    "The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera." - Yusuf Karsh

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,476
    DewieCox said:
    mace1229 said:
    mickeyrat said:

Fuck him let him go and volunteer at one of the hospitals put your money where your mouth is asshole , I’m sorry but I despise 99.9% of Republicans staring with asshole #1 you know the one who wants to just start up everything because the economy dictates it fuck you and your whole party I take it bake I despise every Republican..
    I thought it was idiotic when I heard heard about this comment. I finally just watched the clip. And I don’t think that’s what he was actually saying. I don’t think he did a good job of talking about it. But I think he was just saying destroying the economy is going to have a bigger impact and seniors can worry about themselves. He didn’t say reopen the economy today and let seniors die. He said if it’s closed more than 3 months we may have irreparable damage to the economy. I agree with that. And that Seniors can take care of themselves. I wouldn’t have phrased it that way, but I also agree. Many stores already have senior hours before they open. 
    I would say before we destroy our economy and create more harm, the economy should reopen. And those who are high risk, including seniors and those with immuno diseases, should continue to self quarantine and utilize things like senior shopping hours. Because at some point destroying the economy will destroy lives too, we need to get back to more of a normal before we get to that point. That doesn’t mean just sacrifice seniors.
    Listening to his entire segment that’s what my take was on it anyway. 
    Yep.  There’s really no need to come onto this part of the forum anymore.  Its become as sad as Facebook unfortunately.  It’s daily misinformation about everything from moronic fish tank cleaner eating people blaming trump to a Lt gov that no one cares about anyway being misconstrued for hysteria and headline purposes, to made up dossiers used by our govt to spy on folks to dismissed with prejudice Russian mueller indictments that we paid for- all acceptable as long as it’s orange guy bad.  

Counting cheeto’s lies is always acceptable for the day’s outrage, as long as no one cares to count the lies on the other side.  “News” outlets aren’t even bothering to redact or update articles anymore once they’ve been proven wrong via twitter or other means.  There’s lawsuits abound against these publications and “news” sites, as they clamor to put to paper anything and everything relating to sir orange.

Every time I make the mistake of coming on here I read so many misconceptions and things that have already been fact checked as false it’s truly sad.  We still have one dude talking about pee tapes as if they weren’t already established as some perverts fairy tale.  Folks are so infatuated with everything trump that they just can’t stop talking about him.  His name comes out of some folks’ mouths dozens of times a day... while their houses remain a mess.  

Life isn’t this hard.  Stop creating difficulty for others when there's simply  no reason to do so.  Be kind.

I was never baptized and am not a religious person in any way, but damn people, just get your houses in order.
    hundreds of thousands have died, and all you care about are the news outlets that won't redact things and how much people talk about trump. you can't be for real. 

i guess you forgot about the obama era, where all the right could talk about was tan suits and bare arms. 

cheetos lies have literally, LITERALLY, cost people their fucking lives. do you get that?
    Hundreds of thousands?

Seriously, nobody should be defending any of these fuckfaces. it’s seriously embarrassing, the whole climate.

i meant to write been infected, not died. mistype
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• i was talking with a surgeon who is the head of the medical board at one of my accounts. he is a former army surgeon. he believes that the only way to get a handle on this thing is to mobilize the military. he suggests building field hospitals on military bases. he said most of the needed supplies like tents are already at the bases. he said that the bases have a ton of space for such a field hospital. he specifically suggested ft. leonard wood in missouri, to isolate and treat those missourians that have the virus. he said that with the military there is typically less red tape and this can be done so much faster at military bases rather than trying to convert hospitals to covid specific treatment and screening facilities. he communicated the idea much better than i am communicating, but i am paraphrasing. what does everyone think about this idea?
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
    i was talking with a surgeon who is the head of the medical board at one of my accounts. he is a former army surgeon. he believes that the only way to get a handle on this thing is to mobilize the military. he suggests building field hospitals on military bases. he said most of the needed supplies like tents are already at the bases. he said that the bases have a ton of space for such a field hospital. he specifically suggested ft. leonard wood in missouri, to isolate and treat those missourians that have the virus. he said that with the military there is typically less red tape and this can be done so much faster at military bases rather than trying to convert hospitals to covid specific treatment and screening facilities. he communicated the idea much better than i am communicating, but i am paraphrasing. what does everyone think about this idea?
    People would be scared at first but I like the idea.  Very Hollywood sounding.
  • wndowpaynewndowpayne Posts: 1,469
    Virginia has gone from 391 to 460 reported cases in last 24 hrs.
    Charlottesville 2013
    Hampton 2016

This discussion has been closed.