The coronavirus

Comments

• static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    static111 said:
    Hi! said:
    If I heard correctly it even covers payroll for 4 months up to 100k per employee?  is that right?

Is there a link to this?  I didn't see that listed in the stories I read but people are citing some specifics that would suggest the text of the bill is out there for review.
    Can someone share, if so?
    https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/senate-bill/3548/text
    Doesn't help me one bit.  Thx 
    What do you need? Do you fall under self employment, or having a struggling business?  Just wondering.....it really sucks that it won’t help you out.  I wrote my idiot congressmen, not sure if it helped at all but it is good to get your specific needs out there to people crafting these bills.
    If I am reading it right, I am over the annual salary exemption so I don't get anything.

Living in NY I get the short end of the stick a lot...

That sucks. Are you referring to the $1200 direct checks? You may still be able to draw unemployment or something at least? It looks like unemployment is supposed to be opened to an unprecedented number of new applicants like self employed, gig workers, etc, so hopefully you can find something.  That’s where I am at which is not where I want to be.  I would much prefer to be working and making my full pay rate but for now UE will get us through the lockdown.  Hopefully there are still jobs on the other side.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
    mcgruff10 said:
    tbergs said:
    static111 said:
    Hi! said:
    If I heard correctly it even covers payroll for 4 months up to 100k per employee?  is that right?

Is there a link to this?  I didn't see that listed in the stories I read but people are citing some specifics that would suggest the text of the bill is out there for review.
    What do you need? Do you fall under self employment, or having a struggling business?  Just wondering.....it really sucks that it won’t help you out.  I wrote my idiot congressmen, not sure if it helped at all but it is good to get your specific needs out there to people crafting these bills.
    If I am reading it right, I am over the annual salary exemption so I don't get anything.

Well that sucks. Has your work or pay been impacted by this at all yet? Based on what I read, my family will receive around $3400, but my job has not been impacted as of yet so while I don't mind the boost, I am not one of the people who most needs it.
    Wait, does everyone get this check or just unemployed?

Everyone who made less than 75000 in 2018 or less than 150000 jointly is my understanding regardless of current employment status. Plus 500 per child
    Scio me nihil scire

• mcgruff10 said:
    tbergs said:
    static111 said:
    Hi! said:

Well that sucks. Has your work or pay been impacted by this at all yet? Based on what I read, my family will receive around $3400, but my job has not been impacted as of yet so while I don't mind the boost, I am not one of the people who most needs it.

Stimulus, so everyone who makes less than the amounts they list. 
    That is absolutely one of the least important parts of this bill but will get the most noise...$1200 or even $3400 would not be a large help to a family w/o work for any period of time.  Need to unroll what this means to businesses, for unemployment, etc...pretty long thing to read through.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain Posts: 31,037
    edited March 2020
    static111 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    tbergs said:
    static111 said:
    Hi! said:

Everyone who made less than 75000 in 2018 or less than 150000 jointly is my understanding regardless of current employment status. Plus 500 per child

A lesser amount if you made less than 100k or jointly 200k also...
    Post edited by F Me In The Brain on
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 40,002
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    Hi! said:

That sucks. Are you referring to the $1200 direct checks? You may still be able to draw unemployment or something at least? It looks like unemployment is supposed to be opened to an unprecedented number of new applicants like self employed, gig workers, etc, so hopefully you can find something.  That’s where I am at which is not where I want to be.  I would much prefer to be working and making my full pay rate but for now UE will get us through the lockdown.  Hopefully there are still jobs on the other side.
    I am working, my live in GF won't be shortly.  Anything I would have received would have went to her to pay the bills, now I will have to put out some more.  

Oh well...
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,382

mcgruff10 said:
    tbergs said:
    static111 said:
    Hi! said:

Stimulus, so everyone who makes less than the amounts they list. 
    That is absolutely one of the least important parts of this bill but will get the most noise...$1200 or even $3400 would not be a large help to a family w/o work for any period of time.  Need to unroll what this means to businesses, for unemployment, etc...pretty long thing to read through.
    Definitely not a lot but it well help. As of now I lost my spring coaching job (which carries us into summer) and my summer job is up in the air.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,309
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    Hi! said:

I am working, my live in GF won't be shortly.  Anything I would have received would have went to her to pay the bills, now I will have to put out some more.  

Oh well...
    You should be putting out more anyway.  Stop being a cockblocker. 
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 40,002
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    Hi! said:

Oh well...
    You should be putting out more anyway.  Stop being a cockblocker. 
    Ooh baby, behave!
    edited March 2020
    https://youtu.be/ZtSSpXLlVik
    well it looks like Lindsey Graham is gonna play the republican bootstraps personal responsibility game and force people to go broke on principle because some people might get a little more in the short term. Meanwhile no problem giving billions to the airlines that don’t need it to actually survive. Well we were doomed from the start when the British stockholders decided to build a nation on genocide and slavery.  In addition this is a temporary relief measure of four months...also you can’t draw unemployment if you quit your job only if you get laid off.  He is telling a story that people are going to quit work and draw unemployment.  Good luck it’s hard enough to get when you are laid off.  These people and their bullshit personal political agendas right now....
    Post edited by static111 on
    Scio me nihil scire

• josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,125
    https://twitter.com/joncoopertweets/status/1242889514328219649?s=21
    How can people just sit there and let assholes like this get away with saying stuff like this! Not sure what’s more shocking this idiots opinion or that the Baffoon has a bible teacher lol

jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,559
    https://twitter.com/joncoopertweets/status/1242889514328219649?s=21
    How can people just sit there and let assholes like this get away with saying stuff like this! Not sure what’s more shocking this idiots opinion or that the Baffoon has a bible teacher lol

That guy is so full of shit he doesn't even know it when his mouth is full of it! 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,610
    static111 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    tbergs said:
    static111 said:
    Hi! said:

gross or net or adj gross?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • jeffbrjeffbr Posts: 7,177
    mickeyrat said:
    static111 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    tbergs said:
    static111 said:
    Hi! said:

From CNBC it sounds like adjusted gross:

Congress likely to send taxpayers $1,200 checks in coronavirus aid. Here’s who qualifies

Those payments are expected to be $1,200 for individuals, or $2,400 for those who are married and file income taxes jointly. It also includes $500 per child.

But you have to meet certain qualifications in order to be eligible for the money, based on your adjusted gross income in your 2018 tax returns. If you earn more than $75,000 as an individual, $112,500 as the head of household or $150,000 if you are married and filing jointly, the amount of those checks starts to get reduced.

"I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Matts3221Matts3221 Posts: 658

The one thing really stressing me out is that I have a co-worker whos husband " is not taking it well that he cannot see his friends " is still going over to a friends house " saying he is using social distancing " or having 3-4 people over their house. This moron is going to the reason I get sick.

Work for a small credit union , I do have a large office space so the three of us are separated but I miss my friends and family , I don't understand why someone just cant deal that bad that they still are going out even if its just a few people. STAY THE FUCK HOME

When I ask about it she gets upset and says " this is hard for her husband he is a social person " we don't have a stay in place order so I really cannot say anything even though I manage this office. Just annoyed.

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,053
    That Cuomo dude (governor) is one hell of a teacher type. Going through everything extremely educational, and step by step.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    mickeyrat said:
    static111 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    tbergs said:
    static111 said:
    Hi! said:

I would think gross since they are basing it off of taxes.  But if you look at the link I posted above Lindsey Graham and his ilk may try to block everything because they hate poor people and can’t say it without using coded language.  No problem giving trillions to the stock market and billions to the airlines though.  And people wonder why some of us want to go back to work....
    Scio me nihil scire

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,053
    mcgruff10 said:

New York governor to FEMA: You pick the people who will die because of lack of federal resources

“You want a pat on the back for sending us 400 ventilators? What are we going to do with 400 ventilators when we need 30,000 ventilators?” 

Trump: Cuomo 'supposed to be buying his own ventilators'

This better be on tv 24 7 in the fall.
    Forget Biden, let Cuomo get the nom!

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,508
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    I’m not very understanding on the economics of ventilator availability. Are there even 30,000 ventilators available at this point?

Did we say that during world war 2? Too bad we dont have tanks nor planes? Was that our approach? No. We built them. Fast.

Go ahead and google US WW2 deaths vs what can happen if the covid crisis continues to be mismanaged and false logic continues.

The numbers should shock everyone. There is a chance this event is worse than a world war for Americans. 

But hey, let Cuomo figure it out on his own. Makes perfect sense. Thanks trump
    Man you overreact quite regularly. I was just asking what is the reality of getting 30000 ventilators. Nothing partisan. No blaming. Just what is the necessary logistics of getting 30,000 ventilators? If they aren’t available who can make them?  And no this isn’t WW2 

Your comment was reminiscent of what Trump said, I'm sure that was not your intent. “Are there even.” No, of course not. That’s why we need emergency action, not a govt more worried about bailing out big business first. Trump said yesterday let cuomo figure it out. Would that piss you off if you were at risk?

NY is doubling cases almost every other day, this has the potential to get very bad. For the record, WW2 total US deaths were around 400,000. It’s not out of the question this could be worse, especially if there are multiple waves. If you think that’s an overreaction, I think you are not being realistic about the facts in this crisis.

We dragged our feet for two weeks and probably mass contaminated a metropolitan area with about 25 million. Now Trump is dragging his feet again, about ventilators. Of course there aren’t 30,000 extra in a warehouse, but we need quick decisive action. Like in WW2, which had the added problem of the majority of the labor pool getting drafted to quickly produce needed equipment.

The govt moved in two days to bail out the corporations. Good thing we saved the companies quickly, because if companies don’t get enough oxygen into its balance sheet, they will code out immediately. But Preventing mass contamination, fail. Getting or producing enough ventilators in time to save lives, looks like that’s not a priority for trump. 
    edited March 2020
    mcgruff10 said:

New York governor to FEMA: You pick the people who will die because of lack of federal resources

“You want a pat on the back for sending us 400 ventilators? What are we going to do with 400 ventilators when we need 30,000 ventilators?” 

Where and Why do you dig up this type of garbage? Since 2000 Beds have diminished  because of budget cuts.  I don’t think the headline is accurate.  

Post edited by mcgruff10 on
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain Posts: 31,037
    edited March 2020
    static111 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    static111 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    tbergs said:
    static111 said:
    Hi! said:

I would think gross since they are basing it off of taxes.  But if you look at the link I posted above Lindsey Graham and his ilk may try to block everything because they hate poor people and can’t say it without using coded language.  No problem giving trillions to the stock market and billions to the airlines though.  And people wonder why some of us want to go back to work....

I thought this guy was attached to the end of Trump's unit. 
    If Trump wants it, he will vote for it.

From a conceptual level I don't see how you could argue with his point.  Unemployment should not pay someone more than they make before they lose their job.   
    They write these fucking things so that they are tough to understand but I do not see that in the bill text that I have read so far.  If that is a part of the bill I agree with Lindsey Asswipe.  Having never had to go on it (yet, early in these days of crisis, I could find out soon enough I guess) I do not know how it works. 
    How would it be a statement that someone hates poor people to say that their unemployment if they lost their job due to The Rona should not pay them more than they made?
    Post edited by F Me In The Brain on
  • mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Where and Why do you dig up this type of garbage? Since 2000 Beds have diminished  because of budget cuts.  I don’t think the headline is accurate.  

The twittertionary

Twitter really has made people so lazy - they accept nearly anything shared there as potential fact.  (And, being lazy, potential fact is close enough!)
    edited March 2020
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    I’m not very understanding on the economics of ventilator availability. Are there even 30,000 ventilators available at this point?

Did we say that during world war 2? Too bad we dont have tanks nor planes? Was that our approach? No. We built them. Fast.

Go ahead and google US WW2 deaths vs what can happen if the covid crisis continues to be mismanaged and false logic continues.

The numbers should shock everyone. There is a chance this event is worse than a world war for Americans. 

Man you overreact quite regularly. I was just asking what is the reality of getting 30000 ventilators. Nothing partisan. No blaming. Just what is the necessary logistics of getting 30,000 ventilators? If they aren’t available who can make them?  And no this isn’t WW2 

Your comment was reminiscent of what Trump said, I'm sure that was not your intent. “Are there even.” No, of course not. That’s why we need emergency action, not a govt more worried about bailing out big business first. Trump said yesterday let cuomo figure it out. Would that piss you off if you were at risk?

NY is doubling cases almost every other day, this has the potential to get very bad. For the record, WW2 total US deaths were around 400,000. It’s not out of the question this could be worse, especially if there are multiple waves. If you think that’s an overreaction, I think you are not being realistic about the facts in this crisis.

We dragged our feet for two weeks and probably mass contaminated a metropolitan area with about 25 million. Now Trump is dragging his feet again, about ventilators. Of course there aren’t 30,000 extra in a warehouse, but we need quick decisive action. Like in WW2, which had the added problem of the majority of the labor pool getting drafted to quickly produce needed equipment.

The govt moved in two days to bail out the corporations. Good thing we saved the companies quickly, because if companies don’t get enough oxygen into its balance sheet, they will code out immediately. But Preventing mass contamination, fail. Getting or producing enough ventilators in time to save lives, looks like that’s not a priority for trump. 
    World War Two was a literal war with people bombing and shooting and gassing each other for 6 years and a day with an estimated total death toll of 75-80 million worldwide.  This is bad but not that bad. I agree and sympathize with you that some are more at risk of this disease than others and people need all the help they can get.  It is unrealistic to think anyone including the head Buffoon in charge can magic 30,000 ventilators into existence because there is an immediate need.  I also agree with you that more can and should be done.  Yes the war powers should be used, but I imagine retooling an entire manufacturer to make sterile ventilators would also take some time. There are no quick fixes...but now I know a lot more about the ventilator situation

i also agree corporations should have been an after thought. Priorities should be

healthcare
    economic assistance for those in need
    economic assistance to failing business
    and then maybe waaaaaaayyyyyy back there corporations and the stock market
    Post edited by static111 on
    Scio me nihil scire

jeffbr said:
    mickeyrat said:
    static111 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    tbergs said:
    static111 said:
    Hi! said:

Congress likely to send taxpayers $1,200 checks in coronavirus aid. Here’s who qualifies

Those payments are expected to be $1,200 for individuals, or $2,400 for those who are married and file income taxes jointly. It also includes $500 per child.

But you have to meet certain qualifications in order to be eligible for the money, based on your adjusted gross income in your 2018 tax returns. If you earn more than $75,000 as an individual, $112,500 as the head of household or $150,000 if you are married and filing jointly, the amount of those checks starts to get reduced.

aint that some shit. Wife will get the full check.
    I on the other hand had an agi of 75,908.00

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • mickeyrat said:
    jeffbr said:
    mickeyrat said:
    static111 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    tbergs said:
    static111 said:
    Hi! said:

you file separately?
    Even so, you will still get something.
    (As I keep saying, this is not the most important part of this bill...this is the shiny object in the pile of paper that they want everyone to look at, pick up, then spend right away in some American shop, and to pay less attention to what else they did/did not do with this bill.)
    static111 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    static111 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    tbergs said:
    static111 said:
    Hi! said:

I thought this guy was attached to the end of Trump's unit. 
    If Trump wants it, he will vote for it.

From a conceptual level I don't see how you could argue with his point.  Unemployment should not pay someone more than they make before they lose their job.   
    They write these fucking things so that they are tough to understand but I do not see that in the bill text that I have read so far.  If that is a part of the bill I agree with Lindsey Asswipe.  Having never had to go on it (yet, early in these days of crisis, I could find out soon enough I guess) I do not know how it works. 
    How would it be a statement that someone hates poor people to say that their unemployment if they lost their job due to The Rona should not pay them more than they made?
    First of all to even get unemployment you have to prove a work history and have paid in to the unemployment fund through your payroll taxes.  You can’t quit your job and get unemployment benefits.  Most people get less than 1/2 of their base salary an extra 600 isn’t going to do much.  This is a temporary provision for 4 months.  If your employer calls you back to work you have to go back or you lose your benefits. Basically no one making 15 an hour is incentivized to quit work or not go back to work.  Even if some people do get more than they would because they got laid off for 4 months due to corona virus how is that a bad thing.... but nobody batting an eye to trillions from the fed and billions to the airlines......
    Scio me nihil scire

• brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,559
    Matts3221 said:

The one thing really stressing me out is that I have a co-worker whos husband " is not taking it well that he cannot see his friends " is still going over to a friends house " saying he is using social distancing " or having 3-4 people over their house. This moron is going to the reason I get sick.

Work for a small credit union , I do have a large office space so the three of us are separated but I miss my friends and family , I don't understand why someone just cant deal that bad that they still are going out even if its just a few people. STAY THE FUCK HOME

When I ask about it she gets upset and says " this is hard for her husband he is a social person " we don't have a stay in place order so I really cannot say anything even though I manage this office. Just annoyed.

Good reason to be annoyed, Matts.  Although I am a bot of a hermit, my wife and her business partner are both very social people and they are staying home and dealing with it.  People like your co-workers husband need to get a grip and do what's right.  They have no damn business putting other people at risk.  They can be social on their smart phone or the internet.  There is no reason but put other people's well being and lives at risk.  That guy needs to be hammered on with some social pressure big-time. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

static111 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:

World War Two was a literal war with people bombing and shooting and gassing each other for 7 years with an estimated total death toll of 75-80 million worldwide.  This is bad but not that bad. I agree and sympathize with you that some are more at risk of this disease than others and people need all the help they can get.  It is unrealistic to think anyone including the head Buffoon in charge can magic 30,000 ventilators into existence because there is an immediate need.  I also agree with you that more can and should be done.  Yes the war powers should be used, but I imagine retooling an entire manufacturer to make sterile ventilators would also take some time. There are no quick fixes...but now I know a lot more about the ventilator situation

i also agree corporations should have been an after thought. Priorities should be

healthcare
    World War 2 was officially six years and a day. ;)
    mickeyrat said:
    jeffbr said:
    mickeyrat said:
    static111 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    tbergs said:
    static111 said:
    Hi! said:

you file separately?
    Even so, you will still get something.
    (As I keep saying, this is not the most important part of this bill...this is the shiny object in the pile of paper that they want everyone to look at, pick up, then spend right away in some American shop, and to pay less attention to what else they did/did not do with this bill.)
    we got more back through the stste by going that route. that was a result of the tax bill signed in 17. they took away a couple big write offs. Transportation workers per diem for me and unreimbursed work expenses for her primarily. we didnt withhold enough.

mcgruff10 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:

World War Two was a literal war with people bombing and shooting and gassing each other for 7 years with an estimated total death toll of 75-80 million worldwide.  This is bad but not that bad. I agree and sympathize with you that some are more at risk of this disease than others and people need all the help they can get.  It is unrealistic to think anyone including the head Buffoon in charge can magic 30,000 ventilators into existence because there is an immediate need.  I also agree with you that more can and should be done.  Yes the war powers should be used, but I imagine retooling an entire manufacturer to make sterile ventilators would also take some time. There are no quick fixes...but now I know a lot more about the ventilator situation

healthcare
    World War 2 was officially six years and a day. ;)
    Thanks for the history lesson I edited the original post to fix my inaccuracies 
    Scio me nihil scire

• OnWis97OnWis97 Posts: 4,970
    brianlux said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    First world problems I know but something just hit me hard: I won’t be able to my son on his birthday Thursday.  My ex is a nurse practitioner in the trenches with all this.  We agreed to keep him with her until this all this passes.  Haven’t seen him in almost two weeks and I am cool with that but missing his birthday, god damn I am crushed. 

First world or no, that sucks.  Man, I'm sorry.  Can you FaceTIme with him? 

That's what my wife does with her daughter in Alaska the few times she's been back to the (closed) store where we have better internet connections.  The rest of the time it's just smart phoning.
    McGruff (and all of us) probably has lots of first world problems...this is absolutely not one of 'em.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
This discussion has been closed.