Options

***OFFICAL Dance of the Clairvoyants Reaction Thread!***

Comments

• Options
    tdawe said:
    -Like a lot of people here, I’m glad heard trying something new and, even if this song hasn’t fully grown on me, it makes me much more excited to hear the album than previous lead singles. 

-For whatever reason, Matt’s drums sound a lot better on the version I’m streaming through Spotify than they did on the BS and twitter clips. Makes a big difference, and they’ll only be more muscular live. 

-With any PJ song, to me the question isn’t how much I like the studio version, it’s “how will this play live?” Sometimes you can tell off the bat which songs will be killers live, but I really don’t know here. It might be a really solid live song, but the best part to me is the layered vocals at the end which tend not to translate really well, because nobody in the band other than Ed can really sing. Definitely looking forward to seeing it though. 
    This isn't a drum machine?
  • Options
    SalJamSalJam Posts: 125
    Talking Heads-ish. I really like it.
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,065
    edited January 2020
    tdawe said:
    -Like a lot of people here, I’m glad heard trying something new and, even if this song hasn’t fully grown on me, it makes me much more excited to hear the album than previous lead singles. 

-For whatever reason, Matt’s drums sound a lot better on the version I’m streaming through Spotify than they did on the BS and twitter clips. Makes a big difference, and they’ll only be more muscular live. 

-With any PJ song, to me the question isn’t how much I like the studio version, it’s “how will this play live?” Sometimes you can tell off the bat which songs will be killers live, but I really don’t know here. It might be a really solid live song, but the best part to me is the layered vocals at the end which tend not to translate really well, because nobody in the band other than Ed can really sing. Definitely looking forward to seeing it though. 
    It started with a drum machine. But later redone by Matt on real drums. Except for maybe a high hat. According to Stone.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,771
    tdawe said:

It is not.  The demos started that way between Matt and Stone.  But when they went to record it, Matt insisted on laying down the drum track even though there was some resistance to change the machine sound.  It sounds like the compromise is that Josh Evans engineered it in a way that sounds very Bowie/Talking Heads late 70s, midi and synth to get a feel of greater syncopation 
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,065
    edited January 2020
    PB11041 said:
    tdawe said:

It is not.  The demos started that way between Matt and Stone.  But when they went to record it, Matt insisted on laying down the drum track even though there was some resistance to change the machine sound.  It sounds like the compromise is that Josh Evans engineered it in a way that sounds very Bowie/Talking Heads late 70s, midi and synth to get a feel of greater syncopation 
    Those dry drums has nothing on the GREATEST OF ALL TIMES DRUM SOUND of:

https://youtu.be/lXJ5r7tbVz4

But they are groovy obviously. Prefer some room though.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Happy to see the track available in highres digital (at qobuz), so I assume the album will be too.
    Which is my preferred listen these days. 

Ordered the cd and 7" for the old collection too, for those keeping track, and as a gift for myself as 27th March is the day when I have to remember to add 1 to my age.
  • Options
    nalyd61nalyd61 Boston Posts: 704
    Great song. Can’t wait for the members only Pearl Jam tour jacket. 
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,880
    I love it on my first three listens and it was pleasant to find others are digging it as well 
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options
    I love it on my first three listens and it was pleasant to find others are digging it as well 
    I love it still on my 23rd listen today.
  • Options
    to me, first half sounds a bit arcade fire, second half RHCP. Had to listen to it a good 5 times but it's rocking me now and i think live it's going to be killer. can't wait to hear the rest of the record, so excited!!
    Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    PB11041 said:
    tdawe said:

If Matt can play this way live without a backtrack I will be impressed.  It sounds layered and very much like a drum machine.

• Options
    pjpitt89pjpitt89 Posts: 1,821
    thank u Josh Evans so this time we can listen jeff bass 
    But...is it Jeff's bass? The quote from Jeff earlier in this thread says Stone was playing bass?.... Perhaps Jeff is playing some of the keys?

Either way, I love this as a first single. It breaks the mold of Fixer, MYM, and even Can't Deny Me. I was prepared for another straightforward punk-ish rocker, and instead we got something that breaks that mold completely. Can't wait to see it live and hear the other 11.
    9/1/00, 4/28/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/12/03, 10/1/04, 9/28/05, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 6/1/06, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 8/7/08 (EV), 6/12/09 (EV), 10/27/09, 10/28/09,10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 6/15/11 (EV), 9/2/12, 7/19/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 10/27/13, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 8/7/16, 11/4/16 (TOTD), 8/18/18, 8/20/18, 9/24/21 (EV&Earthlings), 9/26/21, 9/11/2022, 9/14/2022
  • Options
    gregory.kryceskigregory.kryceski West Milford, NJ Posts: 11
    pearl jam meets 2010's RHCP meets talking heads
    Temple of the Dog @ MSG 2016
    Boston 1 & 2 2019
  • Options
    pjpitt89 said:
    But...is it Jeff's bass? The quote from Jeff earlier in this thread says Stone was playing bass?.... Perhaps Jeff is playing some of the keys?

Either way, I love this as a first single. It breaks the mold of Fixer, MYM, and even Can't Deny Me. I was prepared for another straightforward punk-ish rocker, and instead we got something that breaks that mold completely. Can't wait to see it live and hear the other 11.
    Jeff plays the "casio keyboard" people said made it sure this WAS NOT A PEARL JAM SONG FAKE NEWS
  • Options
    Stone could still be playing Jeff's bass though.

• Options
    SHZASHZA St. Louis, MO USA Posts: 3,212
    80's new wave is pretty much my favorite genre, so I dig it 
  • Options
    DempsDemps Posts: 98
    It’s a fool’s errand to try & figure out “meaning” but listening this morning it’s hard not to take the decision to release this as the first single as providing some context for the lyrics. In that sense I think an argument can be made that this is a song about the weight of releasing an album after a long hiatus & how you’ll never be able to meet everyone’s expectations so you might as well go disco and try to please yourself. If anyone’s earned that right...
    I suggest you step out on your porch...run away my son...see it all...oh see the world...

Springfield, MA 4/6/94 -- Boston, MA 4/11/94 -- Hartford, CT 10/2/96 -- Hartford, CT 9/13/98 -- Mansfield, MA 7/2/03 -- Reading, PA 10/1/04 -- Albany, NY 5/12/06 -- Milwaukee, WI 6/29/06 -- Mansfield, MA 6/30/08 -- Toronto, ON 9/21/09 -- Philadelphia, PA 10/31/09 -- Worcester, MA 10/16/13 -- Hartford, CT 10/25/13 -- New York, NY 9/26/15 -- New York, NY 5/2/16 -- Boston, MA 8/5/16 -- Boston, MA 8/7/16 -- Boston, MA 9/2/18 -- Boston, MA 9/4/18 -- London, UK 7/8/22 -- Hamilton, ON 9/6/22 -- Toronto, ON 9/8/22 -- New York, NY 9/11/22 -- Chicago, IL 9/5/23 -- Chicago, IL 9/7/23
  • Options
    FYI.... volume matters. Louder you play it, the better it sounds 
  • Options
    andrew68andrew68 Toronto Posts: 1,791
    hot sauce makes everything better too
    Any new realizations... would have to wait...
    Til he had more time,... more time...
    Time to dream,... to himself... he waves goodbye,
    To himself... I'll see you on the other side...
  • Options
    andrew68 said:
    hot sauce makes everything better too
    I put that shit on everything...
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,247
    Got legitimate chills as the intro kicked in with phones on this morning. It sounded so good.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    I'm loving it, the boys are so groovy! They need to be experimental, is in their essence!
     (I can see Eddie raising one fist while holding the mic for "stand back!" on the stage)
    ♪ we all believe it
    Porto Alegre, Brazil (November 28, 2005)
    Porto Alegre, Brazil (November 11, 2011)
    Porto Alegre, Brazil (November 11, 2015)
    Rio de Janeiro, Brasil (March 21, 2018)
  • Options
    Daron OshayDaron Oshay Middletown, NJ Posts: 2,495
    Agree. Sound great really loud. Especially the end
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,312
    That's actually Stone, fella. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,312
    First PJ song where your Juggler was literally dancing around the house at first listen
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    tdawetdawe Posts: 2,002
    PB11041 said:
    tdawe said:

If Matt can play this way live without a backtrack I will be impressed.  It sounds layered and very much like a drum machine.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again - Fab Moretti is the most influential drummer since Dave Grohl. Just a tremendous impact on the way rock music sounds in this century. 
  • Options
    tdawetdawe Posts: 2,002
    PB11041 said:
    tdawe said:

Also Matt can one million percent play this live. And like with the Strokes, it will play so much better in person because of the live drums. 
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,801
    I love the way the drums,  bass and synth come in a little quieter after that first chorus. 
  • Options
    RunIntoTheRainRunIntoTheRain Texas Posts: 1,011
    Very funky. I hear  „It‘s ok“ being tagged when they play it live. 
    Ohhhhh! I like the idea of that.
  • Options
    Of course matt can. He is matt fuckin cameron for fuck sake.!😍
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -