Options

***OFFICAL Dance of the Clairvoyants Reaction Thread!***

Comments

• Options
    tdawe said:
    PB11041 said:
    tdawe said:
    -Like a lot of people here, I’m glad heard trying something new and, even if this song hasn’t fully grown on me, it makes me much more excited to hear the album than previous lead singles. 

-For whatever reason, Matt’s drums sound a lot better on the version I’m streaming through Spotify than they did on the BS and twitter clips. Makes a big difference, and they’ll only be more muscular live. 

-With any PJ song, to me the question isn’t how much I like the studio version, it’s “how will this play live?” Sometimes you can tell off the bat which songs will be killers live, but I really don’t know here. It might be a really solid live song, but the best part to me is the layered vocals at the end which tend not to translate really well, because nobody in the band other than Ed can really sing. Definitely looking forward to seeing it though. 
    This isn't a drum machine?
    It is not.  The demos started that way between Matt and Stone.  But when they went to record it, Matt insisted on laying down the drum track even though there was some resistance to change the machine sound.  It sounds like the compromise is that Josh Evans engineered it in a way that sounds very Bowie/Talking Heads late 70s, midi and synth to get a feel of greater syncopation 
    If Matt can play this way live without a backtrack I will be impressed.  It sounds layered and very much like a drum machine.

Also Matt can one million percent play this live. And like with the Strokes, it will play so much better in person because of the live drums. 
    I hate the sound that it made on the song but live I am sure will be much better because it is a killer beat.  I never understood making a song that wouldn't sound the same live.  Makes no sense to me.
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,759
    Of course matt can. He is matt fuckin cameron for fuck sake.!😍
    How can anyone doubt he can play this? Lol. 
  • Options
    tdawe said:
    It might be a really solid live song, but the best part to me is the layered vocals at the end which tend not to translate really well, because nobody in the band other than Ed can really sing. Definitely looking forward to seeing it though. 
    One of the first things I thought of as well - the layering will be missed. It will be preferable to exclude than to use prerecorded ambient vocals though.
  • Options
    jwc6160jwc6160 Posts: 321
    Kind of like it.
    I must listen this more.
    Same here.
    I'm hoping this is the You Are of the album, sandwiched amongst a lot of rock.
    You call your album Gigaton it better have a lot of heavy shit on it, not just processed drums, hip hop high hats, and 80s synth. But they also used those processed drums for Can't Deny Me, so who knows!
    This is where I am after first listen. Just OK for me and I’m wondering if I would like it at all if it wasn’t PJ. Probably not, but I’ll give it a few more listens. Completely agree with what you said above, if this is the “You Are”, I’ll be thrilled. If the rest is “computer” sounding, I’ll be disappointed. Still more than happy to have new music though. 
    KC 2010
    Lincoln 2014
    New York 2016
    Seattle 2018
    St Louis 2022

EV@ Innings Festival in AZ 2023
  • Options
    tdawetdawe Posts: 1,999
    jwc6160 said:
    Kind of like it.
    I must listen this more.
    Same here.
    You call your album Gigaton it better have a lot of heavy shit on it, not just processed drums, hip hop high hats, and 80s synth. But they also used those processed drums for Can't Deny Me, so who knows!
    This is where I am after first listen. Just OK for me and I’m wondering if I would like it at all if it wasn’t PJ. Probably not, but I’ll give it a few more listens. Completely agree with what you said above, if this is the “You Are”, I’ll be thrilled. If the rest is “computer” sounding, I’ll be disappointed. Still more than happy to have new music though. 
    That’s how I try to think about any new music from one of my favorite bands - how would I feel about this if it wasn’t PJ/whatever? I’ve decided that if I wanted to check out a new band and this was the first song I heard, I’d definitely want to hear more. 
  • Options
    wall232wall232 New York Posts: 1,346
    jwc6160 said:
    Kind of like it.
    I must listen this more.
    Same here.
    I given it about 10 listens but it's just not sinking in for me. I can 100% say that if this wasn't a Pearl Jam song I would've skipped past it after about 10 seconds and never went back. Glad to hear new music and glad so many people seem to enjoy it but i'm hoping for some bad ass rock tunes on this album.

NYPJ
  • Options
    tdawetdawe Posts: 1,999
    tdawe said:
    PB11041 said:
    tdawe said:
    -Like a lot of people here, I’m glad heard trying something new and, even if this song hasn’t fully grown on me, it makes me much more excited to hear the album than previous lead singles. 

-For whatever reason, Matt’s drums sound a lot better on the version I’m streaming through Spotify than they did on the BS and twitter clips. Makes a big difference, and they’ll only be more muscular live. 

-With any PJ song, to me the question isn’t how much I like the studio version, it’s “how will this play live?” Sometimes you can tell off the bat which songs will be killers live, but I really don’t know here. It might be a really solid live song, but the best part to me is the layered vocals at the end which tend not to translate really well, because nobody in the band other than Ed can really sing. Definitely looking forward to seeing it though. 
    It is not.  The demos started that way between Matt and Stone.  But when they went to record it, Matt insisted on laying down the drum track even though there was some resistance to change the machine sound.  It sounds like the compromise is that Josh Evans engineered it in a way that sounds very Bowie/Talking Heads late 70s, midi and synth to get a feel of greater syncopation 
    If Matt can play this way live without a backtrack I will be impressed.  It sounds layered and very much like a drum machine.

Also Matt can one million percent play this live. And like with the Strokes, it will play so much better in person because of the live drums. 
    I hate the sound that it made on the song but live I am sure will be much better because it is a killer beat.  I never understood making a song that wouldn't sound the same live.  Makes no sense to me.
    The Strokes landed on a particular sound on Is This It that made Fab sound like a drum machine, and for better or worse that sound was copied so extensively that it became at least partially baked into most of the rock music recorded since. Which is why when you listen to studio music recorded in the 90’s (very much including early Pearl Jam) the drums sound distractingly busy. 
  • Options
    andrew68andrew68 Toronto Posts: 1,791
    envious of all who dig it......it just does't do it for me 

Any new realizations... would have to wait...
    Til he had more time,... more time...
    Time to dream,... to himself... he waves goodbye,
    To himself... I'll see you on the other side...
  • Options
    tdawe said:
    PB11041 said:
    tdawe said:

because they are two separate things. :) 

"I don't understand why Michael Bay does all those intricate camera moves when it can't be done in the theatre!"

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    edited January 2020
    12 hr work day yesterday and knowing id hear new PJ got me thru....my wife and i stayed up listening to the Sirius App....

that was fun.  The only band ever for me where radio debuts are an event worth planning. Love the tune.  Exactly the PJ stuff i wanted. 
  • Options
    RobZRobZ Park City, Utah Posts: 181
    Love it!...but, no hook/lead/face-melting lead??  Was waiting for Mike to just go off...a solid riff would have fit in perfectly in there.
    2006: Las Vegas, Nevada
    2009: Salt Lake City, Utah
    2012: Missoula, Montana
    2014: Denver, Colorado
    2018: Missoula, Montana

• Options
    jwc6160jwc6160 Posts: 321
    I'm totally getting a The Killers - I'm the man vibe, and that's not a bad thing.  
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3xcybdis1k

didn’t think of that before but now think this is spot on. 
    KC 2010
    Lincoln 2014
    New York 2016
    Seattle 2018
    St Louis 2022

EV@ Innings Festival in AZ 2023
  • Options
    I love the sound, love the music- the Talking Heads / Bowie vibe to it all... the lyrics have me scratching my head and uninspired unfortunately.  
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,825
    100 Pacer said:
    The future is definitely bright.

Indeed!  :)
  • Options
    not what I was hoping for..but I thought it was PJ doing their best Arcade Fire. Which falls in line with the talking heads and 80's bowie going around. 
    FUCK! if you only hear what you wanna hear...
    http://www.myspace.com/mrmojorisinca
  • Options
    KN219077KN219077 Montana Posts: 898
    RobZ said:
    Love it!...but, no hook/lead/face-melting lead??  Was waiting for Mike to just go off...a solid riff would have fit in perfectly in there.
    I have to agree, needs some mike on this one. The song is practically begging for it
  • Options
    This isn't Ten 2, garbage.  (kidding)
  • Options
    brookelilybrookelily Bethel Park, PA Posts: 235
    gets better with every listen.  I like the lyrics and Ed's delivery.

Honestly, everybody is contributing something really interesting.  "a true collaboration" as JA might say.

it's totally different for them and I commend them for that.  
    8/16/92
    9/24/96, 9/28/96
    8/25/98, 9/18/98
    9/5/00
    4/26/03
    6/23/06
    10/28/09
    10/11/13, 10/12/13
    10/1/14
    9/2/18, 9/4/18
    9/18/21
  • Options
    Dug1200Dug1200 Chicago Posts: 188
    The bass line reminds me of Breeders Cannonball
  • Options
    Saltzy23Saltzy23 Posts: 1,347
    I kinda dig it.

Can't wait to see it live to really form an opinion.

I have learned there really is no judging any PJ songs until you see them played live.
    'I know I was born and I know that I'll die, the in between is mine.'
  • Options
    jxchamb1 said:
    How are they gonna play this live??  This song is freaking awesome and March 30 cannot get here any faster.  
    There's an interview with Stone out there where he said Matt is actually playing on this and it's not a drum machine. Pretty awesome!
    No longer overwhelmed it seems so simple now.
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,240
    Dug1200 said:
    The bass line reminds me of Breeders Cannonball
    Definitely has that sound to it.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    crober72crober72 Bartlett, IL Posts: 80
    Review from my 10 year old on the way to school this morning:

music -10
    singing - 6

disclaimer - her tastes trend more towards Shawn Mendes, Lizzo, Taylor Swift and Billie Eilish (although I have managed to instill a love of the Beatles)
  • Options
    Next level!  Love it.  
  • Options
    StoneyCreekerStoneyCreeker Stoney Creek, Ontario Posts: 89
    Total Talking Heads sound.....good stuff!
    Totally with you on that....in fact if I didn’t know it was PJ, I would have thought it was Talking Heads
    2000 - 10/05 Toronto, ACC
    2006 - 05/10 Toronto, ACC
    2011 - 09/12 Toronto, ACC
    2013 - 07/16 London, Budweiser Gardens, 10/12 Buffalo, First Niagara Centre
    2015 - 09/15 Hamilton, Copps Coliseum 
    2016 - 05/08 Ottawa, Cdn Tire Centre, 05/10 Toronto, ACC

• Options
    tdawe said:
    PB11041 said:
    tdawe said:

because they are two separate things. :) 

"I don't understand why Michael Bay does all those intricate camera moves when it can't be done in the theatre!"

When you play a song,  you PLAY a song.  Not so it comes out a completely different way live.

You go to a movie so you can use your imagination and get lifted to another world or place.

When I listen to music I'm not looking to imagine the song differently...
  • Options
    Im with you  chris. Case in point. Getaway. Awful  live. Epic on album.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,262
    Another addictive song! :bow: Thank you PJ! :plus_one:
    Re music references, I think we should all listen closely to some hints that the band threw at us 2-4 years ago: 1) RNDM's Ghost Riding (e.g., It's Violence), 2) MC's Cavedweller (e.g., Real and Imagined), and 3) JA's Heaven/Hell (e.g., Moment of Impact).
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    PJINFLAPJINFLA Posts: 669
    Just what we needed another song in the live set when we can go take a piss break.
    4/22/92 St. Petersburg, 8/23/92 Orlando, 3/29/94 St. Petersburg, 10/7/96 Ft. Lauderdale, 9/8/98 East Rutherford, 9/22/98 West Palm Beach, 9/23/98 West Palm Beach, 8/9/00 West Palm Beach, 8/10/00 West Palm Beach, 8/12/00 Tampa, 4/11/03 West Palm Beach, 4/13/03 Tampa, 6/2/03 Irvine, 6/3/03 Irvine, 9/28/04 Boston, 9/29/04 Boston, 9/1/05 George WA, 9/11/05 Kitchener, 9/12/05 London, 9/13/05 Hamilton, 10/03/05 Philadelphia, 5/16/06 Chicago, 5/17/06 Chicago, 6/23/06 Pittsburgh, 6/24/06 Cincinnati, 6/11/08, West Palm Beach, 6/12/08 Tampa, 6/19/08 Camden, 6/20/08 Camden, 8/23/09 Chicago, 8/24/09 Chicago, 10/27/09 Philadelphia, 10/28/09 Philadelphia, 10/30/09 Philadelphia, 10/31/09 Philadelphia, 5/18/10 New Jersey, 5/20/10 New York, 5/21/10 New York, 9/3/11 East Troy, 9/4/11 East Troy, 9/11/11 Toronto, 9/12/11 Toronto, 9/02/12 Philadelphia, 9/21/12 Pensacola, 7/19/13 Chicago, 10/18/13 Brooklyn, 10/19/13 Brooklyn, 11/23/13 LA, 10/24/13 LA, 11/16/13 Oklahoma City, 10/1/14 Cincinnati, 10/20/14 Milwaukee, 10/22/14 Denver, 4/8/16 Ft. Lauderdale, 4/9/16 Miami, 4/11/16 Tampa, 5/1/16 New York, 5/2/16 New York, 8/5/16 Boston, 8/7/16 Boston, 8/20/16 Chicago, 8/22/16 Chicago, 4/07/17 New York, 8/08/18 Seattle, 8/10/18 Seattle, 8/20/18 Chicago
    9/02/18 Boston, 9/04/18 Boston, 9/11/22 New York, 9/16/22 Nashville, 9/22/22 Denver, 8/31/23, St. Paul, 9/2/23 St. Paul, 9/18/23 Austin, 9/19/23 Austin
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,058
    PJINFLA said:
    Just what we needed another song in the live set when we can go take a piss break.
    I’ve been waiting for this comment 🙄.  

Experimental PJ...the best kind of PJ. Let’s fucking go. Can’t wait to see this live.