Options

[[MEGATHREAD]]: Dance of The Clairvoyants [NEW SINGLE] - Opinions, first impressions, reviews...

1272829303133»

Comments

• Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,539
    The more I hear the song, the less it sounds “dancey”, cold or computerised & the more it sounds like a cool, funky, post-punk rock song. Think the Mach II vid helped even more with that today. 
    I would agree with you.  Sounds like Ed is just belting it out like he would have over a traditional rock track in some parts of the song.
  • Options
    Funny -- I just watched it with the new video and it somehow seemed made me think of some Yo La Tengo songs with a more rock vibe and some parts sung by a hardcore punk singer.

<a href="http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ge4jTSWckd4">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ge4jTSWckd4</a>

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtOfYeJFq0k">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtOfYeJFq0k</a>

• Options
    densandensan Posts: 563
    The more I listen the more my dick grows  :D
    That is so lovely. Man I needed to know this heading into the weekend. I am a bit racy too, but think of the kids. PJ moms and dads really do not need to explain how music makes your willy grow. You may want to put some cold cotton on your crown. You need a filter or a wife. We can just nod in agreement. No need to shake hands. I would say I am pulling your chain, but that will not work in this instance. 
    Be different & make a difference. Decency & kindness @ a grassroots level works.
  • Options
    vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,426
    this song is good.  listen to it and then go back and listen to a song like Alive.  same band?  
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,294
    vaggar99 said:
    this song is good.  listen to it and then go back and listen to a song like Alive.  same band?  
    I hear you ..what a difference indeed!
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,826
    This evening I was in a little country bar in small town America. The bar had an electronic jukebox so I went up to see if PJ was in their catalogue. In fact, it had 264 PJ songs (or so they said - I didn't count them all). I put $5 in and got 6 songs for the room, which was mostly older folks, so I sadly skipped past Leash. In the end I selected Release, Footsteps, Down, Smile, Garden...... and Dance of the Clairvoyants. It was already available! Nice to hear them all in a bar, even if I had to pay for the pleasure ;).
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,939
    edited February 2020
    I love doing exactly  this .
    Well  done  indeed!
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    UndrakanUndrakan Donostia - San Sebastian Posts: 113
    Amazing. 
  • Options
    Couple weeks in and still loving this tune!
  • Options
    lexicondevillexicondevil Bay Area Posts: 1,891
    Didn't realize Stone was playing bass. This song is so damn good!
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2
  • Options
    TJ25487TJ25487 Posts: 1,458
    Ditto! Am now afraid of overplaying it before the album release. We all know that can happen. 
  • Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,262
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    southernmanfansouthernmanfan Johannesburg, South Africa Posts: 1,004
    TJ25487 said:
    Ditto! Am now afraid of overplaying it before the album release. We all know that can happen. 
    Me too....
    rustedsigns
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,518
    edited February 2020
    I'm not worried! I've listened to this song for more hours than I've slept.
    Post edited by Spunkie on
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Justin538 said:
    I have never waited so long to be punched in the face. What on earth was that!? It wasn’t music! 
    What an idiotic thing to say...
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,426
    the video for this song is the best 
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    I think all the commentary about this song being so different and new is crazy...there are at least half a dozen songs that precede Dance directly.
    Obviously You Are is the closest relative, but there are shades of Army Reserve, Green Disease, Of the Girl, Sleight of Hand, and the chorus is reminiscent of practically every Pearl Jam song.
    The first twenty seconds are a little unique, but as soon as Eddie comes in, it's on, and when Mike comes in this song could be on Riot Act, Binaural, or Untitled without standing out at all.

It's great.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    Pap said:
    I AM SO FUCKING HAPPY ABOUT THIS
  • Options
    drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,390
    edited February 2020
    So fresh and so clean

I want them to rip into You Are right after listening to this one. It’s killer
    Post edited by drakeheuer14 on
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    SomethingCreativeSomethingCreative Kazoo, MI Posts: 3,347
    Signed up for a free trial to tidal and listened to the HD master.  There’s a lot of cool percussive stuff back there in the mix and the end especially is very cool. It’s vibe is representative of some PJs more recent influences as well as some older ones.  Spoon vibes in the guitar, the synth and drums wouldn’t sound out of place on a My Morning Jacket track.  It’s rich and layered and I love it!

also: Im glad Stone got to do something that stands out on bass on account of his funkiness.
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • Options
    Croos1226Croos1226 philly burbs Posts: 336
    Heard the song on Sirius Alt Nation this morning...HA!
  • Options
    vaggar99 said:
    Yeah I have DOTC at the very end of the my "Pearl Jam studio" playlist, and when the song ends, it goes to the first song on the playlist ("Once", of course), and it is a strange transition for sure lol
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    fortyshadesfortyshades Posts: 1,834
    YAKIMATSU said:
    Interesting. 1st listen, 80's groove. Will the whole album be just like this - NO. Getting the impression,  with all the time spent, that Gigaton will be a variety of different musical types.  Last time they did that, No Code, produced the most well rounded album of them all. Bring on No Code part deuce. 
    Agreed. Who You Are was no representation of No Code. The Fixer didnt represent BS and MYM didnt represent LB. Lighten up. This is a versatile band. That is one of their strenghts. They go from punkrock to power ballades. Relax or to semi quote someone: "Everyone needs a sendative right now."
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    pulling69 said:
    Well looks like we have our new standard opening song to replace Pendulum. Dance into a standard opener like Of the Girl or Release or Long Road? Yes please!
    I think Pendulum and then this song, before breaking into a punk rock = a good combo. More rarities in shows. In the last tour they always ended with Alive, another song and LB. I had never have seen that before in previous tours. Mix it even more up.  
    Post edited by fortyshades on
  • Options
    My attempt at "transcribing" Stone, looks like there's a video that was posted since.  In short, he's pumped and I dont remember him speaking this much other than at the Rock Hall induction

"This song started out with a Matt Cameron electronic drum beat.  Matt had been working with some drum machines and stuff and I came down and was messing around with bass so I was messing around and think I started busy and trying to do to much and both of us were sitting around saying 'well this is less than great'  at some point I just started giving up and saying ah crap whatever, and then I just started hammering on the bass and we both looked at each and said that sounds better than anything so far we just started kinda throwing it down and we came up with this a and b section for the song. A few weeks later, unbeknownst to me, Jeff Ament came in and uh threw on that arpeggiating keyboard line and I was like "oh my god thats great" and I think even a few weeks after that Mike McCready came in and put that guitar part over the top of it which was completely ...its an unbelievable guitar part in terms of the variety and melody he gets out of 3 notes and it was really at that point striking us as something that was exciting and really ... it wasnt much later than that that Ed put on the first rough vocal that had almost all of the elements that the final vocal...some of the words changed...but all the phrasing and alot of the energy was all there.  I guess thats the last element that kinda went down was in the end Matt uh decided and I think with the band's approval that he was gonna play his drum machine part so the drums that you hear on the track are real drums.  I think theres an electronic high hat still mixed in there, but all the beat thats a live Matt Cameron track with very dry drums so the fact that he was able to go back in and play that beat that was you know completely created in a drum machine and play it so convincingly to almost sound like a drum machine was really a tribute to how great he is.  Matt sort of inspired and wrote the initial part of the song and then we all individually came in and put an element on there and those elements lasted and survived  um intact is a little bit of why I think we're so excited about the song and sort of the magic of how that song couldnt have really been written by any individual in any other band and I think the words theyre just so compelling to me I listen to them and I have a different reaction to them each time.  So its a real exciting time for the band and Im really proud of it."
    Hey Father Hubbard, thanks for the transcription. Could you also paste it in my review thread? Try to collect all comments. Thanks.